Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/28/24 at 09:45:42 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Sarah 300b first impressions (Read 3004 times)
Craig B
Verified Member

Sarah 300b first impressions
06/24/23 at 13:32:04

First thoughts.  After circa 20hrs of listening.  All Digital, I haven’t yet tried the amp with a turntable and vinyl.  

It just sounds right, more natural to me . It sounds more analogue. It has great transparency. If it’s a good recording you can really hear it. If it’s not a good recording you will know it but somehow makes it sound better than it should. Its soundstage and imaging is amazing. Vocals have a locked in centre image and a specific location its easy to imagine the singer right there. It separates out the sounds really well. It’s almost as if it has more time, like great sportsmen and women, it seems relaxed unhurried and yet it has great rhythm and pace. It is giving me more detail than than I have had before. So far I have tried many types of music types and it seems to be good with all of them.  I haven’t listened enough to understand fully how it lends itself to all types of music, it strengths, it’s  weaknesses, it ‘s range. I can say vocals, strings and horns really really stand out. It’s keeps me listening…one more song…oh go on then one more. It has made my jaw drop on multiple occasions. It looks gorgeous and is magical in the late evening with the tubes glowing with a soft orange light. It can play my KEF LS50’s. Seemingly without any trouble (83db sensitivity). More than loud enough for me in my listening room. Note, I only swapped these for 10 or 15 minutes because I was having too much fun with T6’s. So I  need to validate this initial impression later along my journey.

My system before The Sarah 300b  came along.

Reisong Q6 tube pre amp
Marantz NR1200 integrated amp (being used a power amp)
Denefrips Aris II (no FPG upgrade)
Bluesound node 2i
Decware ZFOCUS speaker cables
Decware T6 speakers
IsoAcoustic isolation pads for the speakers and amps
Rel T5i sub woofer
Rega T3 turntable, with a Rega Phono MM mk4 with a Rega exact cartridge.
U shaped room circa 45 square meters in total with and a high angled roof over the main listening space (circa 25 sqm). No room treatment.
Digital streamed via Tidal.

It took me circa 3 years to assemble this system starting my journey into good sound. I was pleased with it. It had a big sound stage and a good balanced sound.

My Sarah 300b has the standard tube set with the Chinese 300b tubes from Decware. When I added the Sarah I swapped out the Reisong Q6 tube pre amp and  Marantz NR 1200 being used as a power amp. I also added some Decware DSR3 interconnects.

After trying the system with and without the Rel subwoofer my initial thought was it doesn’t need it. I know I am missing some of the very low notes but the Sarah has a surprising amount of base in my room. Again this needs more time and experimentation to confirm my initial thoughts.

It very early days and I am happy. There is still much to learn and explore how will the amp mature? How will it sound with vinyl? Is a sub woofer not needed? What will it sound like with some WE300b tubes. Not yet ordered but on my wish list. What will it sound like with some Cyro tubes if a roll these at the front end? also on my wish list.  What will it sound like with some open baffle speakers (long term aspiration). What will it sound like if I add back in my premap? What will it sound like with a better DAC/ Steamer?

No doubt I will find something’s it could do better and I would love a remote control and a headphone jack, Steve D has explained this, he choose sound quality over functionality. Everything had its compromises and it is for each of us to choose. I love Tidal Daily Discovery and I have been building lots of varied playlists. I just use the pause button on my Bluesound  node app if the volume needs adjustment in between tracks  as I work through my play lists. Most of the time this is not an issue, it’s when the starting levels are either a lot higher or lower than the average that I adjust the volume. After some experimentation I have decided I Like two volume controls.

I hope this adds more new data points for your consideration through the lense of new owner and his eyes, ears, emotions  and room which as we know is unique to each of us. I have really appreciated the forums and wanted to share my first personal impressions. I know there are many questions about how the Sarah sounds relative to other Decware amps or amp combinations. I have no experience of this so cannot help here.

For me, in my room, the Sarah 300b has impressed out of the well packed box. I suspect as it matures and I have time to experiment and maximise its potential it will become even better.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: Sarah 300b first impressions
Reply #1 - 06/24/23 at 14:17:45

Thanks so much for this review, these initial impressions.

Please add more impressions from further listening and with different components, etc. You write about the audio experience very well!

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 06/24/23 at 14:25:40

Nice Craig!

Quote:
I suspect as it matures and I have time to experiment and maximise its potential it will become even better.

I think you can count on it... lots of refinement with various areas of burnin, everything will get more complete, more resolved, fast, dynamic, nuanced, harmonically rich... the lot.

Have fun!

All Modified: PSA-P5>DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender>RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro/ZBIT/CSP3>OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV>Omega S-A-H-O monitors/SVS Micro3000>Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
Tony
Seasoned Member

"Life without
..music is
inconceivable"
A.Einsteln

Reply #3 - 06/24/23 at 15:01:29

Craig,

Excellent review, thanks.

SE84UFO25 | Ic0n4 Passive Preamp | ZBIT | Cambr. CXNv2 | Denafrips Pontus II | Denafrips Gaia | Decware I/Cs | Decware Pwr Cbls | ZWIRE Speaker Cbls | Omega SAHOM & KEF KC62 | Furman Cond l GIK Room Trmt
  IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 06/24/23 at 15:52:18

Thanks for sharing Craig. Was craving an early impressions review and you nailed it!

Innuos Pulse Streaming Transport and Phoenix Net Switch-Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC-Ic0n4 Autoformer Passive Pre-Sarah 300B SET Amp-ZBIT-GIK Room Treatment-Caintuck Audio Magnum Baffles—Li Audio Fast 15 Drivers-P.I. Audio MajikBuss & Puritan PSM 156 Conditioners
  IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #5 - 06/24/23 at 19:20:54

Thanks Craig, looking forward to future updates.

[FOOBAR2000 | Jay's CDT2 MRK3] -> Denafrips Terminator 2 + Gaia
Sumiko Pearwood -> Mapleknoll Athena -> Luxman SUT -> Maple-tree Phono 3E
Woo WA22 -> 2x UFO25s, balanced monos
Omega SAM , Hifiman Arya, Senn HD-650
  IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #6 - 06/26/23 at 07:12:07

Craig,

Nice review for your initial impressions.  Can’t wait to hear an update after like the 20-50 hour burn in.  

Dom

Rasp. Pi 4 [Roon], Schiit Bifrost True Multibit DAC, ZBIT, ZROCK2, My Audio Cables Ultra Silver+, ZSB, CSP2+ 25th, DAG Cables, DHC1, Torii MKIV 25th /2 White Zen SE84C+ 25th mono’s, Rega P2 Turntable,Rega Fono MK5, Velodyne Dual Firing Sub, ERR’s [Bubbinga Wood]
  IP Logged
Tony Adams
Verified Member

Reply #7 - 07/11/23 at 09:36:36

This review is so impressive. It provides a comprehensive and enthusiastic account of the Sarah 300b amplifier, highlighting its impressive sound quality, detailed imaging, and captivating performance with various music genres. fnf

IP Logged
ratketyree
Verified Member

Reply #8 - 08/11/23 at 03:04:23

Well-written first impressions, I must say.  A status report after, say, 20-50 hours of burn in would be very appreciated.  

IP Logged
AudioAlchemist
Verified Member

Reply #9 - 09/26/23 at 05:50:59

Craig B – Thank you for sharing your first impression. We look forward to hearing more as you start tube rolling.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print