Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/29/24 at 16:20:14 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Types of crossover capacitors for Leak Sandwiches (Read 1216 times)
oztayls
Verified Member

Types of crossover capacitors for Leak Sandwiches
06/14/23 at 05:08:52

I am in the process of restoring a pair of 1960s 2-way Leak Sandwich speakers. I have seen the recommendation on other forums concerning the types of caps used for this crossover. The old crossover network comprises non-polar 20V electrolytic capacitors (manufactured by Plessey) on these Sandwiches. They mention that without a polarising voltage, they will heavily distort at their turnover frequencies, which in this case are arranged to be around 1kHz, where our hearing is most sensitive. The caps are being replaced by "polyester film types of the stacked film variety which are non-inductive, unlike the round "audio grade" capacitors high-end loons all go ape about - which are highly inductive..."

Have I been living under a rock, because I've not heard of using non-inductive caps for cross-overs before?

Thorens TD124, Thorens TD125, Lii Audio Fast8 wine barrel oak OBs, Yaqin MS33B, Home made Shure SUT, Bluesound Node, EAR 834 clone, Spud Kit (SEP), Leak Sandwich+Leak Mini Sandwich 15ohm ex ABC monitors, Bottlehead Stereomour II
  IP Logged
oztayls
Verified Member

Re: Types of crossover capacitors for Leak Sandwiches
Reply #1 - 07/18/23 at 13:02:01

Thank you for that advice. Much appreciated!

Thorens TD124, Thorens TD125, Lii Audio Fast8 wine barrel oak OBs, Yaqin MS33B, Home made Shure SUT, Bluesound Node, EAR 834 clone, Spud Kit (SEP), Leak Sandwich+Leak Mini Sandwich 15ohm ex ABC monitors, Bottlehead Stereomour II
  IP Logged
ratketyree
Verified Member

Reply #2 - 08/11/23 at 02:30:10

Thank you for sharing; this is very insightful. I really appreciate your help.

IP Logged
EdwardT
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 08/12/23 at 14:10:52

This discussion doesn’t really address distortion at the crossover point:
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/capacitor-upgrade-in-...
and I admit to not knowing a discerning answer. The main complaint I read is speed, the foil caps apparently don’t delay the signal as much. That said, I’ve never seen measurements of that sort so my guess is it’s subjective analysis.

IP Logged
Tooppy
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 08/13/23 at 10:51:27

It seems your Sandwish are in pretty good shape, that wasn't the case for mine given by a friend. I could only keep the box, the tweeters were gone and one of the woofer died. So with the box I made a different pair of speakers all together using Beyma drivers.

IFI Streamer - RME_ADI2_DAC_FS - SE84_UFO-2,1 - LII_F15 in Karlsonator DIY - Decware interconnect - DIY speaker cable - Thorens TD166MKII_Grace G707+A&R p77+Schiit Mani - FirstWatt F5 - Klipsch KG3 - Rogers LS3/5A - Leak Sandwich modified - Grado SR125X modified
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print