05/02/24 at 15:41:41 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Recommended turntable (Read 2566 times)
Matchstikman
Seasoned Member

Recommended turntable
06/11/23 at 19:05:47

This has probably been asked before but I thought I'd ask again.

I have a Pro-ject turntable that is about 20+ years old.  I believe I bought it used from a Decware forum member years ago.  This turntable is attached to a Decware ZP3.

I'd like to upgrade the turntable but I want to keep the budget low.  I have about 400 albums and I listen to vinyl about once or twice a month.  Mostly I listen when friends drop over because everyone is so fascinating with vinyl these days.  Listening to vinyl with a group is fun and very nostalgic.

I need something that will sound nice with a ZP3 but also doesn't require an extensive amount of tweaking.  I'd like to get it, connect it, and go.  I spent enough time tweaking the Pro-ject I currently have and I do not want to go down that path again.  It would be nice if this turntable would work with Ortofon cartridges because I have a couple of them that I might use.  I don't know if changing cartridges counts as tweaking but if it does that is about as far as I want to go with that.

Currently, I lean towards getting another Pro-ject; a Pro-ject Debut Carbon EVO.  The price is right with that.  I momentarily thought about a Thoren but the entry level on that is about $1500 and more than I want to spend considering how much use the turntable will get.  I have heard from a few people that Rega will do the job, too.  If so, which model.

Suggestions?

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: Recommended turntable
Reply #1 - 06/11/23 at 19:16:05

Honestly if you want real "set it and forget it" I recommend Rega. Mine worked great with a ZP3 when I had it, no SUT required. I have a P3 that has a TTPSU, Exact2 cartridge and Groovetracer Reference Suplatter, Delrin platter, counterweight and record weight, I have better isolation feet. The Regas are easy to setup and use, and there's an upgrade path via Groovetracer that really does yield improvement.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Matchstikman
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 06/11/23 at 20:23:57

Is that the Rega P3?

If so, that may be more than I want to spend but I'll check out the specs.  The specs do look favorable.

IP Logged
HockessinKid
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 06/11/23 at 20:52:35

If you are considering used, this TT looks very good:

https://www.usaudiomart.com/details/649945682-technics-sl-1210-mk5-turntable-min...

HK

Nottingham Interspace TT w/ Audio Technica AT-OC9XML cart + Modwright PH 9.0XT phono OR Modwright modded Cambridge CNX V2 > CSP3-25th Ann. preamp > ZMA-25th Ann. amp > PI Audio UberBUSS > Caintuck Audio Lii15 Magnum speakers > Snake River Audio & ZenWave cables
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4 - 06/11/23 at 22:27:18

Matchstikman wrote on 06/11/23 at 20:23:57:
Is that the Rega P3?

If so, that may be more than I want to spend but I'll check out the specs.  The specs do look favorable.

I think my model is the RP3, about a grand.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Sean
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 06/11/23 at 22:34:12

Which features are important to you? Do you need adjustable VTA? Belt or direct drive? Removable head shell? Cartridge compliance?

I don't have suggestions other than thoughts on what I use and what I'd replace it with. I'm using a Mofi StudioDeck. MDF base, delrin platter, delrin head shell(not removable), adjustable VTA (with a hidden instant death feature - if you drop the arm, it breaks something inside. Ask how I know), the antiskate is a string with a weight on the end (a real pain until you get it right), it is belt driven and squeaks on startup. When it's set up right it's not even there and that's why still use it. I haven't modified anything on the table or felt a need to.

I'd go for a new SL1210GR if something happened to the Mofi. Just a personal preference and change of gears.

Technics 1210G, AT OC9III, Cinemag 1254 SUT, ZP3, CSP2+, SE84UFO, Tekton Pendragon

Schiit Bifrost, Mac Mini, Roon
  IP Logged
Matchstikman
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 06/11/23 at 23:22:04

What features are important to me?  Simplicity.  I want to turn it on, put vinyl on it, put the needle on the record and listen.  That's it.  I am not heavy into vinyl.  I want the least amount of setup as possible.  As I stated above, I listen to vinyl once or twice a month.  And, when I listen it is for maybe a few hours.  That's it.  The turntable has to be durable, reliable, and do a basic job.  I believe the only upgrade I made to my current turntable was to replace the cartridge some years ago and that was a pain in the rear.

As I stated above, the turntable I have I bought used more than 20 years ago.  I think I could do better than what I have now but I want it to be like that turntable which required very little maintenance.

To be truthful, I'm on the edge of getting rid of the entire vinyl rig from top to bottom, but maybe not yet if I can find a decently price replacement.  Vinyl is fun.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #7 - 06/12/23 at 00:37:55

Look how easy the Rega set up is. Do it, and then you don't have to futz with it.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=Set+up+Rega+Planar+3+turntable&&view=detail...

IP Logged
Matchstikman
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 06/12/23 at 03:17:01

Lon, I think you are right on this.

I spent the afternoon looking around and the Rega P3 looks like it is the way to go.

IP Logged
effluviography
Seasoned Member

Reply #9 - 06/12/23 at 04:46:55

I'm a fan of the new technics tables. Pretty easy to set and forget. Removable head shells. They are solid. And they are direct drive - which is enjoyable to me - starts right up and is at speed immediately. I have a Sl-1210 but the SL-100 looks nice (almost bought it myself). The SL-100 and the SlL-1500 have gotten great reviews (the SL-100 doesn't have the preamp, but otherwise they are the same table).

I started with a Pro ject and the technics is head and tails better. Using Ortofon 2M Bronze and 2M Black with a ZP3.

|| Mini-Torii & CSP-3 | Analog: ZP-3, Technics SL-1210GR & Ortofon 2m Black | Digital: Z-Box, Denafrips Ares 2, Iris DDC, Roon & Mac Mini | Omega CAM's & Deep-Hemp Sub | ZMF Atticus | 2x Emotiva CMX-6 | Decware Styx, Power & IC's | Supra Exc. USB | NOS Tubes ||
  IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #10 - 06/12/23 at 08:20:15

I have the Rega P2 and really do enjoy it.  Personally if you can afford to, I would go with the P3.  I believe The big difference between the two, besides the tonearm is the bias adjustment upgrade with the P3.  It gives you greater flexibility with different cartridges.   Which Ortofon cartridge do you plan to use?   I dug deep onto forums and the one that was consistently a top pick was the Ortofon Bronze that matched well with the Regas.  

I upgraded my P2 with the Groovetracer sub platter and it was a worthy upgrade.  It lowered the noise floor and allowed more detail from the album to get extracted.  I plan to upgrade to the P6 somewhere down the road, so needless to say I love the Rega line.

Dom

Rasp. Pi 4 [Roon], Schiit Bifrost True Multibit DAC, ZBIT, ZROCK2, My Audio Cables Ultra Silver+, ZSB, CSP2+ 25th, DAG Cables, DHC1, Torii MKIV 25th /2 White Zen SE84C+ 25th mono’s, Rega P2 Turntable,Rega Fono MK5, Velodyne Dual Firing Sub, ERR’s [Bubbinga Wood]
  IP Logged
HiFi Bri

Reply #11 - 06/13/23 at 01:30:48

+1 for the Rega P3.

@Lon, I also have the Groovetracer subplatter and noticed a big improvement in soundstage and clarity. Did you notice any audible improvement with the delrin platter or counterweight?

SE84UFO | ZRock2 w 25th Ann | Rega P3 + Groovetracer Mods | Hana EH | Darlington Labs MP7 | Decware I/Cs | Decware Pwr Cbls | ZSTYX Speaker Cbls | Omega Alnico Towers | Butcherblock Acoustics RigidRack
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #12 - 06/13/23 at 01:36:39

Yes, with both--but not to the extent of the Reference sub-platter--that was the biggest bang.

Isolation also makes a big difference, sub-platter like difference. I have mine on VooDoo Cable IsoPods that sit on a PS Audio PowerBase.

IP Logged
Tal
Seasoned Member

Reply #13 - 06/13/23 at 23:42:29

More Rega love. I have an older P3-24 with all of the Groovetracer mods (sub and delrin platters and tonearm weight). I also had the tonearm re-wired with Cardas Incognito wire. That said, you don't need the mods to enjoy the TT, especially since you only listen to vinyl occasionally.

SE84UFO2 25A mods x2, ZP3 25A mods, CSP3 25A mods, ZRock2 25A mods, Rega P3-24 Incognito tonearm rewire and Groovetracer mods, Bob's Devices SUT > ZP3, Denafrips Pontus + Hermes, Bluesound streamer, Zu Soul VI, Omega DeepOmega8 sub,
  IP Logged
Matchstikman
Seasoned Member

Reply #14 - 06/15/23 at 14:38:18

The more I review and study the Rega P3, the more I think that this the one for me.

Question: where do I buy the Groovertracer mods?  I went to the website and it wasn't very user friendly.  Do I need to call them?

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #15 - 06/15/23 at 15:17:43

I bought them from the website and via email (currently they have a sale or two as well). Select the items you want, email them, and they will send you an invoice with shipping costs for PayPal (and I think you can use credit cards directly). Worked seamlessly for me.

IP Logged
HiFi Bri

Reply #16 - 06/15/23 at 19:37:22

Yeah, my subplatter purchase through Groovetracer was very easy. Fast shipping too.

SE84UFO | ZRock2 w 25th Ann | Rega P3 + Groovetracer Mods | Hana EH | Darlington Labs MP7 | Decware I/Cs | Decware Pwr Cbls | ZSTYX Speaker Cbls | Omega Alnico Towers | Butcherblock Acoustics RigidRack
  IP Logged
RisingSun
Verified Member

Reply #17 - 06/16/23 at 05:27:38

I went through a similar search a few months ago.  Based in large part on the Darko review in which he preferred the Pro-Ject Debut Pro over his Technics, I ordered both the Debut Pro and a Technics SL-1500c (Ortofon Red cartridge) from Crutchfield.

Darko's Debut Pro had the Pick-it cartridge.  When I researched cartridges, I concluded the Sumiko offerings were more to my tonal preferences of a big, rich sound that's not overly revealing - thus I selected the model with the Sumiko.  I considered the Rega P3, but from what I could discern, Rega's have a different sound than I was looking for.

In a head to head I much preferred the Pro-Ject.  The Ortofon Red on the Technics was so off-putting that I couldn't imagine the Blue sounding meaningfully better, and that was pretty much the only painless cartridge upgrade option for the Technics.  In contrast the Pro-Ject had three tiers above the Rainier for easy future upgrades on which only the stylus needed to be swapped.

I'm in no position to comment on how either compares to the Rega in a listening test.  I can say that I'm extremely satisfied with the Debut Pro with the $199 iFi Zen Phono.

IP Logged
effluviography
Seasoned Member

Reply #18 - 06/17/23 at 00:35:32

I'm not sure why so many people say the Ortofon Red is a good cartridge. I had one briefly. Did not like it one bit. The Bronze is so much better, but a good deal pricier. Never tried a Blue. If I was listening to a Technics table with the Red, I wouldn't have been impressed. With the Bronze or Black, it is quite lovely - very musical, full sounding and lots of detail. The Bronze is the king of a subtle, lovely sound. The Black takes the subtlety of the Bronze and says - well, you should have some extra dynamics too. I could live with either, but enjoy the extra intensity of the Black. Cheers - Scott

|| Mini-Torii & CSP-3 | Analog: ZP-3, Technics SL-1210GR & Ortofon 2m Black | Digital: Z-Box, Denafrips Ares 2, Iris DDC, Roon & Mac Mini | Omega CAM's & Deep-Hemp Sub | ZMF Atticus | 2x Emotiva CMX-6 | Decware Styx, Power & IC's | Supra Exc. USB | NOS Tubes ||
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print