Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/28/24 at 04:35:00 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Hitachi / Philco rectifiers (Read 804 times)
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Hitachi / Philco rectifiers
06/03/23 at 07:17:16

Everyone,

Does anyone have any experience with Hitachi and Philco rectifiers, specifically in the 5Z3 pin out?  

Now that I am running a pair of SE84C+ as monoblocks, I’m looking for a matched pair of rectifiers to roll.  The Philco and Hitachi are NOS from the 1950’s.  The Philco’s are affordable….but the Hitachi’s are like 3x the price.  I spotted some online that piqued my interest.

Any input would be appreciated.

Dom

Rasp. Pi 4 [Roon], Schiit Bifrost True Multibit DAC, ZBIT, ZROCK2, My Audio Cables Ultra Silver+, ZSB, CSP2+ 25th, DAG Cables, DHC1, Torii MKIV 25th /2 White Zen SE84C+ 25th mono’s, Rega P2 Turntable,Rega Fono MK5, Velodyne Dual Firing Sub, ERR’s [Bubbinga Wood]
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: Hitachi / Philco rectifiers
Reply #1 - 06/03/23 at 10:56:19

I am not really a fan of the 5Z3 type, and I have not had experience with Hitachi rectifiers. But I do have experience with Philco rectifiers and I think you would like them and if affordable they're a good brand to try.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #2 - 06/03/23 at 15:27:09

I'm pretty sure both Philco and Hitachi rebranded tubes, I don't think they made their own. With Philco you are probably getting a name brand USA made rectifier like RCA or Sylvania, and it is probably good quality. I'm less clear about Hitachi, I think they got a lot of tubes from the Mullard/Matsushita plant, and I expect from the USA and UK as well. So, in general buying either of those brands is like playing spin the bottle.

Unless there is something special about the Hitachi rectifiers I'd be inclined to pass on them and get the less expensive Philcos. JMO of course.

[FOOBAR2000 | Jay's CDT2 MRK3] -> Denafrips Terminator 2 + Gaia
Sumiko Pearwood -> Mapleknoll Athena -> Luxman SUT -> Maple-tree Phono 3E
Woo WA22 -> 2x UFO25s, balanced monos
Omega SAM , Hifiman Arya, Senn HD-650
  IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #3 - 06/04/23 at 06:36:36

Thanks Lon for your input.  Is there a specific reason why you are not a fan of the 5Z3?  Are they lacking something that the 5U4G’s have?  I’ve been been running them in the monos for the past few weeks and so far I like them.  Since they are electrically equivalent to the 5U4’s, I’ve decided to explore them.  

CAJAMES…. The Hitachi’s have the black ribbed plates and dual rectangular getters.  That’s what jumped off the page but for almost $250 a pair, I’m not sure it’s worth 3 times price of the Philco’s.  I was originally leaning towards the Philco’s, but figured I would try to get some feedback first.

Thanks,
Dom

Rasp. Pi 4 [Roon], Schiit Bifrost True Multibit DAC, ZBIT, ZROCK2, My Audio Cables Ultra Silver+, ZSB, CSP2+ 25th, DAG Cables, DHC1, Torii MKIV 25th /2 White Zen SE84C+ 25th mono’s, Rega P2 Turntable,Rega Fono MK5, Velodyne Dual Firing Sub, ERR’s [Bubbinga Wood]
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4 - 06/04/23 at 09:41:19

I've tried a pair of RCA 5Z3 and they are just a bit too bright for my system. I've run them in hoping that would change but it hasn't. I have so many pairs of rectifiers that I just haven't been moved to explore that tube type further. All our rooms and components and tastes are different. . . if the 5Z3 works for you it makes sense to explore.

I have Philcos in Type 80 and 5U4G and they have a warmer texture that I like. In general though I use Sophia Electric 274B and RCA 5V4 in my components. They just work well with my other tubes in the complements. It's all about the other tubes in important ways.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print