Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
05/03/24 at 21:59:10 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Great Deal on my Favorite Passive Preamp (Read 1629 times)
GroovySauce
Seasoned Member

Great Deal on my Favorite Passive Preamp
05/21/23 at 13:06:23

I just got an alert for a Copper EMIA Remote Autoformer for a great price!

I'm not associated with the seller.

I love the EMIA autoformer.

If you are interested make sure that your input and output impedances are a good match. Decware products are 47k and 100K input so should be a good fit for most Decware systems.

https://www.usaudiomart.com/details/649985649-emia-remote-avc-copper-version/

https://myemia.com/Remote.html

Maximus NEO TT|ViV Rigid Float TA | Phasemation PP-200 or Hana ML | Sutherland Little Loco MK2 | Innuos ZENith MK3 | LampizatOr GA TRP | EMIA Remote Autoformer | STL "Super Tube Rectifier" STR-1002 | SRA Cables | PAP Quintet 15 1.6 Voxativ |Torus AVR15
  IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Re: Great Deal on my Favorite Passive Preamp
Reply #1 - 05/22/23 at 03:46:49

I clicked on the link earlier and it was already sold! Would love to know your experience with the Autoformer though.  Does it take the place of a pre basically? Allowing you to minutely control and gauge volume of various sources? How is it better compared to a regular POT or stepped attenuator?

Innuos Pulse Streaming Transport and Phoenix Net Switch-Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC-Ic0n4 Autoformer Passive Pre-Sarah 300B SET Amp-ZBIT-GIK Room Treatment-Caintuck Audio Magnum Baffles—Li Audio Fast 15 Drivers-P.I. Audio MajikBuss & Puritan PSM 156 Conditioners
  IP Logged
GroovySauce
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 05/22/23 at 14:24:05

It was a smoking deal! I almost bought it just because it was such a good price.

I've been smitten with the autoformer since I first heard it. Yes, it is a "preamp" DAC and Phono go into the autoformer, autoformer goes to the Torii.

I find it far superior to any other volume control I've tried. I sold my CSP3 25th mods for one.

My brother sold his PS Audio BHK pre for one. To be fair we both agreed the CSP3 was superior to the BHK across the board.

I ordered my Torii with no volume pot.

The autoformer offers speed like I've never experienced before. Everything else sounds slow after having the autoformer in the system. The autoformer provides beautiful rich harmonics with that speed. Adds a bit of weight to the music too. If you have played around with a riding the gain the autoformer offers the same effect, at a "fixed" level.

When using the autoformer to attenuate it takes the voltage and lowers it at the same time increasing current. I don't know if this translates to some of the magic or not. A standard pot converts some of the voltage to heat to attenuate the signal.

There can be potential downsides. Impedance matching is critical! Fortunately Decware amps have 100k input impedance so all good on that front. Issues arise when the output impedance and input impedance are too close.

Maximus NEO TT|ViV Rigid Float TA | Phasemation PP-200 or Hana ML | Sutherland Little Loco MK2 | Innuos ZENith MK3 | LampizatOr GA TRP | EMIA Remote Autoformer | STL "Super Tube Rectifier" STR-1002 | SRA Cables | PAP Quintet 15 1.6 Voxativ |Torus AVR15
  IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #3 - 05/22/23 at 18:08:45

Have not heard one of these (due to cost) but always was intrigued. Funny that I mention cost when I have spent untold amounts on numerous other related products! Over the long haul you do yourself a big favor getting it right the first time round. No doubt, impedance will make a fool out of you unless you do the math first. Did you post photos? I likely missed them.

Decware 34I.3 integrated amp/Forte' 3 bass amp/Velodyne SMS-1 bass mngmnt system/Decware ZOB speakers/Audio Nirvana 8" bass drivers/Xiang Seng DAC/ LR Audio Computer/Rega Apollo R CDP/Emotiva ERC3 CDP/BPT 3.0 power cond.
  IP Logged
in.the.fields
Verified Member

Reply #4 - 05/23/23 at 18:54:47

Just adding to the good info / intro about autoformers that GroovySauce posted, there are also transformer based pre-amps, which are basically the same thing, except the wiring is much more complicated.  I believe transformer based preamps (Transformer Volume Controls: TVCs) preceded the autoformer variety.  They both offer the benefits that GroovySauce mentioned -- notably, the capability to add current inversely proportional to the voltage drop, instead of tossing the extra energy away as heat loss.  One practical advantage of this is the ability to maintain dynamics and transparency with low level listening (low voltage levels)... I think the signal can be delivered with less resistive effects.  There are other benefits as well, but this is one of the main bullet points.

I think the main reason people migrated to using autoformers is that they perform just as well, but are much easier to wire... with transformers, a separate lead had to be run to a different point on the input winding, which correlated to a gradual change in the voltage : current output ratio as the signal jumps from the primary to the secondary.  The volume control was done via a selector rotary knob with maybe 20 or 30 individual 'stops', just like a stepped attenuator.  Each 'stop' on the dial needed an independent wire lead to a different place on the transformer, so there would be a bundle (or a tangled mess) of leads that needed to be kept track of and worked around, so it was labor intensive for the builder... and almost all TVCs were hand build using point to point wiring.

I said 'almost' all used point to point wiring, because there are exceptions; I have a recent version of a TVC that uses a PCB instead for the wire leads, which made for a cleaner and more organized build... I doubt the PCB sacrificed anything to sound quality, but it was at the expense of not carrying the sexy 'point to point wiring' badge.

Everyone has their theories about... well, everything... but for me, after a lot of research and experience with various pre-amp designs, TVCs and AVCs are at the top of the heap.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print