Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/19/24 at 21:37:28 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
"whooshing" sound from speakers (Read 1572 times)
astro-chris
Seasoned Member

"whooshing" sound from speakers
05/16/23 at 21:07:20

Hi all,
yesterday I received a pair of long-awaited Ediswan CV5358/ECC88/6DJ8 to try in my Torii Mk3 after reading glowing reviews of these tubes. I ordered them on eBay, which I guess is always a risk, but it was the only place I could locate a pair. When I installed them and fired up the Torii, both the voltage regulator tubes on one channel flickered, then turned off, only to slowly flicker back to life with some static sounds coming out of my speakers.  They then stabilized their glow and when I listened to some music, it sounded fantastic. Today, out of curiosity, I swapped the Ediswan tubes, placing the one from the right channel in the left channel and vice versa. When I fired up the Torii, the voltage regulators flickered on the channel to which I had moved the Ediswan whose channel flickered the day before. The flickering stopped, but a "whooshing" sound (almost like "green noise") was then audible through the speakers. I concluded I had likely bought a dud tube, and swapped back to my usual Siemens 7DJ8s. However, when I fired up the Torii with those (which I know are fine), the voltage regulator tubes behaved normally (no flickering and no static), but the whooshing sound is still there, and it gets louder and softer with the volume control on the Torii.
Does anyone have any suggestion for what may have happened and what I need to do to fix it? I am assuming whatever transpired, the eBay tubes are to blame, but as to what happened, I am at a loss and would be very grateful for any help.
Thanks so much,
Chris

IP Logged
Kahuna Jack
Seasoned Member

Re: "whooshing" sound from speakers
Reply #1 - 05/17/23 at 20:00:12

while the amp is on , gently tap the suspected tubes with a pencil eraser or finger nail and see if the noise is aggravated .  

just a start to troubleshoot further .

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #2 - 05/17/23 at 21:28:37

Is the whooshing sound coming from both speakers at the same time?

WWW   IP Logged
astro-chris
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 05/18/23 at 02:11:03

So, the whooshing was coming from both speakers equally and increased as I increased the volume.
I swapped out the Raytheon OB3A voltage regulator tubes that had started flickering when the "new" Ediswans were installed, and the whooshing has now stopped.
However, there is now a hum (maybe 60Hz) coming from the speakers that becomes easily audible when the volume pot reaches around 11 o'clock, so it seems something is still amiss. Should I try replacing the rectifier tubes as well? This is really upsetting if those stupid eBay tubes are going to cause me to need to replace multiple different tubes in the Torii, although I will be very glad if just tube replacement fixes things and nothing more serious has occurred.
Thanks for all the help thus far,
Chris

IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #4 - 05/18/23 at 17:36:20

I wouldn't swear to it Chris, but the rectifier tube would be my next swap, especially since you are experiencing hum. I will go so far as to wonder if the arcing tubes didn't cause some trouble that didn't exist before.

Decware 34I.3 integrated amp/Forte' 3 bass amp/Velodyne SMS-1 bass mngmnt system/Decware ZOB speakers/Audio Nirvana 8" bass drivers/Xiang Seng DAC/ LR Audio Computer/Rega Apollo R CDP/Emotiva ERC3 CDP/BPT 3.0 power cond.
  IP Logged
astro-chris
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 05/22/23 at 00:57:25

So, I have now tried changing the input tubes, the rectifiers, and both sets of voltage regulator tubes. I cannot change the power tubes, because I don't have a spare set...
The hum now seems to be gone, but when I get the volume up to about 12 or 1 o'clock, the "whooshing" sound is still there. It is very hard to describe, it sounds almost like "green noise" or water gently flowing.  This sound was never present before, so I fear something is amiss somewhere in my Torii Mk3.
I would be very grateful for any help or advice on what I can try to fix this issue and be able to enjoy my system again.
Thanks so much everyone,
Chris

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print