03/28/24 at 15:37:15 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Using an A/B Switch (Read 2500 times)
Matchstikman
Seasoned Member

Using an A/B Switch
05/10/23 at 16:42:43

Here is the deal: 2 CD transports, 2 DACs, 1 ZROCK2.  I'd like to get another ZROCK but I'd probably die before it would arrive.  So, for now, I am thinking of using an A/B switch to connect both DACs to the ZROCK2 then to the amp.

The question here is, how much degradation will a switch produce?  Will a RCA Y splitter do the job?

IP Logged
terlenka
Verified Member

Re: Using an A/B Switch
Reply #1 - 05/10/23 at 17:44:09

I can't answer your question, but I can point out that the ZRock is on a separate production list. That is, it is not on the same list as the amps. I haven't seen it linked here, but I think it's safe to assume it's much shorter than the wait for amps.

IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 05/10/23 at 18:43:16

I ordered five months ago and expect it next week.

Innuos Pulse-Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE R2R-Ic0n4 Autoformer Passive Pre-Sarah 300B SET Amp-ZBIT-Project Carbon Debut TT-Schiit Mani Phono-GIK Room Treatment-Caintuck Audio Magnum Baffles—Li Audio Fast 15 Drivers-P.I. Audio MajikBuss & Puritan PSM 156 Conditioners
  IP Logged
ChJKy (Chris)
Verified Member

Reply #3 - 05/10/23 at 18:45:46

The other Decware wait list. For devices other than amplifiers.

https://orders.decware.com/list_view_accelerated.php

IP Logged
Yakatak
Verified Member

Reply #4 - 05/10/23 at 19:17:37

My ZRock2, which arrived last month, required "only" an 8 month wait.  My ZStage is now 10th from the top of the list and will be about 12 months from order to delivery.  They seem to be building components in batches. lastly was Zrock2, currently ZBit, and next will likely be Zstage.

IP Logged
cmdc

Reply #5 - 05/10/23 at 20:00:03

I’ve been using a Zen Switch Box with the optional A/B switch to manage multiple inputs and two Zen amps. I’ve been happy with the results.  I had tried other options, including a more expensive switch from Luxman, and experienced serious degradations of sound, but the ZSB seems to have very modest impact.

Main:[[TD124 [Koetsu RWS>SME 3009S2Imp][Aidas Durawood>Moerch DP6]][TD124 [Ortofon A90>Kuzma 4Pt9]]>Ned Clayton Cinemag SUT>Dodd Audio Phono Stage>ZRock2][SonicTransporter i7>Mytek Brooklyn Bridge]>ZSB>ZMA>[Zu Druid Mk V][Caintuck Lii 15 OBs/Bass Baffle]
  IP Logged
Matchstikman
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 05/10/23 at 21:24:11

I didn't know about the other list.

Plus, I don't know if I have the patience to wait that long.

Still, if a switch will do the trick that's the approach I'll take.  I am going to set it up my systems with a switch this weekend.  I'll know by Monday if a switch will work for me or if I'll just pull the plug and wait a year for delivery.

IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 05/11/23 at 10:24:33

Well it seems that Decware is actually dropping the total amount of units on the "other" list as time passes. In other words production is surpassing demand on that list. It might be less than a 6 month wait for a Zrock.

AMC CD8b>XO3>Cambridge CXN2>ZDAC>ZBOX>braided silver/occ> Zrock2>CSP2+>SE84 milflex copper 25th>9AWG silver/copper braid>lii Crystal 10 in Huijgen cabinets. Ortofon 2M Black>JVC QL-F4/Otari MX5050B2>ZP3. Isolation. AC filtering. Room treatment.
  IP Logged
ChJKy (Chris)
Verified Member

Reply #8 - 05/11/23 at 11:33:22

The "Other amp list" is indeed moving quite well. It was mentioned that the batch build was going to be a good way to train new techs and it seems to be working nicely. The amp list is moving at a consistent pace and non-amps are also getting to folks in a timely manner.

I had ordered my ZRock2 on 4/8/22 while it was still on the original list with all the amps and the Decware orders had exploded. I received it on 3/25/23, much earlier than I was expecting before the move to the new list.

I can't begin to explain how amazing the ZRock2 has been in my system and that is without the MK5 I'm still waiting for...

I would definitely place an order on the new list since I don't think the wait will be nearly as bad as what it is on the amp list.

IP Logged
Tooppy
Seasoned Member

Reply #9 - 05/11/23 at 12:53:05

I bought a Dynavox switch for my amps, it is beautifully built, excellent & very simple.
They have similar switch for sources here :

https://www.audiophonics.fr/fr/selecteurs-de-source/dynavox-aux-s-commutateur-se...

IFI Streamer - RME_ADI2_DAC_FS - SE84_UFO-2,1 - LII_F15 in Karlsonator DIY - Decware interconnect - DIY speaker cable - Thorens TD166MKII_Grace G707+A&R p77+Schiit Mani - FirstWatt F5 - Klipsch KG3 - Rogers LS3/5A - Leak Sandwich modified - Grado SR125X modified
  IP Logged
lazb
Seasoned Member

Reply #10 - 05/12/23 at 01:08:03

Schitt makes a switchbox WITH REMOTE VOLUME CONTROL!! SAGA S
$299

IP Logged
funch
Seasoned Member

Reply #11 - 05/12/23 at 04:21:25

IP Logged
Matchstikman
Seasoned Member

Reply #12 - 05/20/23 at 00:16:51

If I'm not mistaken the SAGA units mentioned are pre-amps.  I don't want that in the signal path. Plus, a remote switch serves no purpose for what I need. If anything, the Schiit SYS would be a better fit if it didn't have a volume control.  I have one of those and the volume control, even when it is up all the way, still, has an affect on the signal.

Bottom line, the A/B switch is not an option for me.  I went ahead and went with the more expensive option and ordered another ZROCK2.

IP Logged
Tooppy
Seasoned Member

Reply #13 - 05/20/23 at 06:36:30

I had the SYS, it had no effect on my system but had no remote.

IFI Streamer - RME_ADI2_DAC_FS - SE84_UFO-2,1 - LII_F15 in Karlsonator DIY - Decware interconnect - DIY speaker cable - Thorens TD166MKII_Grace G707+A&R p77+Schiit Mani - FirstWatt F5 - Klipsch KG3 - Rogers LS3/5A - Leak Sandwich modified - Grado SR125X modified
  IP Logged
BlackBess
Seasoned Member

TURN IT DOWN,I have
children sleeping
here

Reply #14 - 05/20/23 at 18:57:41

I’m wondering about the saga+ as an alternative. It’s a Benjamin more than the “s” but has a hybrid tube buffer stage utilizing a questionable 6S8N. Many of us will have a Melz or Foton NOS 6S8N just hanging around with nothing to do. I think it would do fine with an old tube from the “golden age” of tube manufacturing. I have a couple Sylvania 6SN7GT tubes that might not be to handle the demands of a more modern circuit that requires a GTA or B. But from my understanding the saga+ won’t ask so much from an older spec tube that it drives it to become microphonic, noisy or go nuclear. And of course a NOS 6SN7GTA or B would always be a safe bet. They all sound different so I don’t think this can be so easily discounted.

KEF LS50 wireless 2 w/KC62 sub
Analog Ethos select series 2a3>Klipsch Forte IV
Dennis Had Inspire 6FLV-v>Decware T6
Shanling STP10>JBL N26
Dennis Had 300PSE>Decware DNA 2
IPad mini>Audio Quest Dragonfly cobalt>Focal Clear
Willsenton R300>Bose 601 series I
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print