Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/24/24 at 02:07:15 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
What Dac are you using to feed your ToriiJr V2 (Read 887 times)
JMeader

What Dac are you using to feed your ToriiJr V2
03/22/23 at 18:35:22

Mine is the Audirvan studio feeding via network connection a MiniDSP SHD, XLR out to Schit Freya S Pre ( non tube ), RCA to Torii Jr V2 - to La Scala's

Combo has great wide and deep sound stage

Does anyone use a latter DAC style with high efficient speakers

What kind of changes did you notice when you changed to your new dac

Thanks

CD's Digitized via Exact Copy
Music Files read by Audirvana Studio
on Win10 PC
Sent to Pontus 2 12th -1 via USB
out XLR to Schiit Frya S PreAmp
Torii Jr V2
to fully updated 1987 La Scala's
  IP Logged
TexJ
Verified Member

Re: What Dac are you using to feed your ToriiJr V2
Reply #1 - 09/25/23 at 17:19:03

It's too bad nobody has answered here.  I am in the market for a DAC and a preamp for my Torii Jr which will be built in a few months. I am trying to decide if a tube outstage on the DAC and preamp are necessary.    

I recently tried a triode tube outstage DAC (Ayon) but it was not a good fit with my current chip amp set up. It was unusable despite the quality of the DAC.  I didn't want to keep it while waiting for my Torii Jr to be built.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #2 - 09/25/23 at 17:38:19

I have just a very little experience with tube output DAC with a Decware amp (I don't have/have not had a Torii Mk V). I did have one in for a few days from another audiophile and it was fine. . . but I've had better DACs. I'm using a PS Audio DSD DAC Mk II and am very very happy with it used with a preamp or without a preamp. My favored way to use the Decware amps (I've had one of the first three dozen made which was then returned to be modded to a Rev. A, a C amp, a Select, some SE34 Monoblocks, an early Rachel version, a Torii Mk II, and Mk III, Taboo Mk III, Taboo Mk IV, SE84UFO3 Monoblocks and now an SEWE300B) with a tubed preamp (I've used Decware and Bottlehead) and a non-tube output DAC.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #3 - 09/25/23 at 18:48:25

A lot of Decware fans (including Steve) really like DACs from Denafrips and Holo Audio. I'm one of them and it seems like they they provide a lot of value at whatever price point you choose. I don't think you need to worry about buying a DAC for a specific amp, it isn't like a DAC that is good with one Decware amp is going to be bad with another. There is a lot of discussion of DACs in the Digital forum.

[FOOBAR2000 | Jay's CDT2 MRK3] -> Denafrips Terminator 2 + Gaia
Sumiko Pearwood -> Mapleknoll Athena -> Luxman SUT -> Maple-tree Phono 3E
Woo WA22 -> 2x UFO25s, balanced monos
Omega SAM , Hifiman Arya, Senn HD-650
  IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #4 - 09/25/23 at 21:25:19

I really like my Denafrips!

It is just the base model Ares 2 that I've had for several years now.

The sound is just wonderful.

I've had several DAC's the last 10 or 15 years and this one is the keeper.

Every other DAC sounded more or less the same to me, the Denafrips just sounds more better.

Owner of the infamous RED TORII and Dan the Redheaded Amp
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print