Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/26/24 at 16:57:37 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
A different Newbie with different questions ! (Read 1451 times)
Chocolate
Verified Member

A different Newbie with different questions !
03/20/23 at 04:01:48

Hi All !

I have been a member and "on the list" for a nearly 2 years now . . . after having visited Steve's showroom in June 2021 and getting on the list for a Torri Jr. a week after my visit.   Since that time I also visited Randy at Caintuck and purchased a pair of Fast 8 Betsy's (but asked for him to make them with the thicker baffle, resulting in his "Magnum" line).   Also purchased a pair of Lii F15's for a future OB build.  I have lots of ideas and want to experiment !

Further, my long term goal is to build a set of open baffles utilizing LF drivers (< 1Khz) and either the Fast 8's or a compression/horn set up for > 1Khz.  Along the lines of Pure Audio Project Trio's . . . only better ?

With this in mind, I spoke with Steve, and changed my order from the Torri Jr to 2 amps -  a Rachel and a UFO2.1 - to provide flexibility to Bi-amp those future speakers . . . a little more power for the LF drivers, and the UFO2.1 for the higher efficiency HF drivers.  And seeing that any speakers I use or develop would likely be 96 dB +, it also made sense to utilize SET amp(s).   In theory, it seems like Bi amping this type of speaker set up would provide a ton of flexibility - to be able to use the 2 amps to fine tune the signal volume going to LF and HF respectively.  Even being able to adjust that balance for different music types.

My sources are a Cambridge CXN-V2 (streamer with reasonably capable DAC) and a phono set up.  I have an early 80's Dual and a newer Stanton T.55 - suspecting neither of those are up to the task - so phono upgrade will give me something to work on after the speakers!  But at least a start to reacclimate myself to albums purchased between 1978 and 1985. OK, showing my age - ha ha.  Thought I'd throw all of this out there for context.

As I understand, both of those amps can be used without preamps.  That said I started looking for a source selection box so I wouldn't have to plug and unplug RCA's to switch back and forth.   In looking for this type of product (like a ZSB) it brought me to thinking about a preamp instead . . . which would likely allow for multiple inputs and outputs and offer additional benefits like volume matching between sources, etc.   So my questions are:

1) Even though the Rachel and UF02.1 amps can be used without a preamp ahead of them, what exactly are the pros and cons (if any) to utilizing a preamp ?   And will the preamp likely offer a little more overall SPL "headspace" by providing a bit higher mV signal to the amp(s) ?

Second, I am wondering and curious about utilizing a "non-tube" (SS?) preamp.   Feeling like the value (magic?) of tube amplification happens in the SET amplifiers themselves . . . making the goal to be providing the cleanest, unadulterated analog signal to the amp to make it's magic. So . . .

2) Are there any Decware SET amp users who utilize a non-Decware preamp  in there signal chain ?   And if so, experiences, brands/models, comparisons (pro's/cons) ?   I would be looking for min 3 source inputs, 3 outputs (could be a mix of XLR and RCA), volume control (remote would be great if that doesn't compromise the signal chain) and ability to balance volume across inputs.

One final comment . . . I have done lots of web surfing over the last 18 months.   I'm old enough to have a certain amount of skepticism when it comes to information available . . . opinions, reviews, blah blah blah.   One interesting (and unfortunately seemingly "siloed"?) group is at audiosciencereview.com.   I really like the idea of having in-depth numerical testing by electrical engineers . . . that said I am not of the mindset (as many on that forum are) of relying 100% on "the numbers".  For me, it would seem a great starting place - and then let your ears do the rest.  So, I posed my second question, re: using a solid-state preamp, is in part because of thinking that if - aside from meeting the user's "features" needs -the purpose of the preamp is to provide the purest unadulterated signal, then maybe the audiosciencereview way makes more sense when evaluating the first half of the signal chain (sources, DACs, preamps) and the "Ears" become more important listening to the back half of the signal chain (amps and speakers).   I dunno . . . just a theory developed while spending way too much time getting sucked into this world !  [smiley=10.gif]  

So, thanks for reading my diatribe (if you have made it through) and any advice / opinions re the couple of questions posed above are greatly appreciated !

Doug
Pittsburgh, PA

IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Re: A different Newbie with different questions !
Reply #1 - 03/20/23 at 10:12:25

Howdy neighbor! Welcome.

I use to hang with those measurment guys 20 some years ago. Never was really jaw dropping impressed with the results of the near perfectly measured products.

That said, look at it this way the more put in the signal path will add each piece's signature. More pieces will create more complexity in the system and sound. Complexity can leave a listener confused and detached.

Now, a clean source with whatever flavor(zbox, zstage, csp3, etc), if any, between that and the amp hooked to single driver speakers will provide a better coherent product that will engage rater than confuse.

Low battery ⚠️

HTH

John

AMC CD8b>XO3>Cambridge CXN2>ZDAC>ZBOX>braided silver/occ> Zrock2>CSP2+>SE84 milflex copper 25th>9AWG silver/copper braid>lii Crystal 10 in Huijgen cabinets. Ortofon 2M Black>JVC QL-F4/Otari MX5050B2>ZP3. Isolation. AC filtering. Room treatment.
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #2 - 03/20/23 at 10:45:41

These papers from Steve may help:

https://www.decware.com/paper50.htm

https://www.decware.com/paper55.htm

25 years ago or so I bought my first Decware amp, the 27th Steve sold, and enjoyed it immensely without a preamp. A year or two later I bought my first Decware preamp and there was an increase in "heft" to the sound and a way to tailor the sound by "riding the gain" that I found appealing. I have used Decware preamps with my Decware amps (and a few others) ever since.

I've also slipped in a few solid state preamps--they work fine, but I've just become over the decades a tube person. . . I miss the tube sound whenever I have a solid state amp or preamp in use and whenever I can I use a tubed preamp--at this time I have a CSP3 with the Anniversary mods and a ZTPRE, each in a separate system.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 03/20/23 at 11:41:10

A thing not talked much about is the physical simplicity of Decware's products and the avail of making patches.

The various products of a Decware system can be spread on a single plane and patched with ICs to any configuration without the use of switches keeping connections fresh in use.

Chew on that for a while Smiley

John

AMC CD8b>XO3>Cambridge CXN2>ZDAC>ZBOX>braided silver/occ> Zrock2>CSP2+>SE84 milflex copper 25th>9AWG silver/copper braid>lii Crystal 10 in Huijgen cabinets. Ortofon 2M Black>JVC QL-F4/Otari MX5050B2>ZP3. Isolation. AC filtering. Room treatment.
  IP Logged
Chocolate
Verified Member

Reply #4 - 03/20/23 at 14:26:03

Hi All -

thanks for the feedback and advice.   I have read quite a few of Steve's white papers . . . I'll go check these to see if they are ones I have read.  I definitely get the concept of keeping the chain simple.   That said, with all the gear - there is a possibility to link 4,5, or 6 units in series (source, buffers, preamps, tone control (Zrock), amp, and even crossovers within the speakers.   So source to amp to full range crossover-less full range driver is I suppose the simplest chain.   But my guess while that can sound really good (I ear witnessed that at Randy's - albeit with the addition of an OB bass unit and in a relatively small listening room), I know that Randy (and countless others) have been very happy adding a ZROCK into that mix to help enhance LF performance.  

So I have the Fast-8 magnums (which I have broken in, but know the bass is lacking, even in a small listening room) and when the ZROCK and amps arrive I'll start with the UF02.1 and the above.   I understand the ZROCK is magnificent and very impactful in this type of situation.

My questions posed were really towards future plans - where I expect to have a pretty large room (TBD, but likely 15 x 24 or perhaps a bit bigger, with 12ft+ ceilings in part of the room.   So knowing that system will have at least 2 sources and I would like it to be able to switch sources without moving interconnects every time.   Which lead to the question of preamp.   And while I didnt really ask this (Lon has kinda of answered it anyways) - what I'm wondering is if you have say 1 tube device (eg UF02.1 amp) in the chain - does that get a significant portion (90% or 95%) of the benefits (reduction or elimination of listening fatigue, disappearing speakers, "like you're there" soundstage, realistic timbre of voices, pianos, and other instruments) ?  Said another way, do the additional decware tube devices (preamp, tube buffer, tube gain) have diminishing returns vs. the impact of and when "layered" onto a low power SET amp ?   Clearly Lon is a fan of having multiple units in the chain - it sounds like each additional tube stage adds to these characteristics.  

I know these questions are really difficult to answer - and there are lots of other factors in play.  But I am also trying to be semi-pragmatic (like most in the forum) of getting biggest bang for the buck.   An example would be something like a Schiit Freya preamp which is highly rated from a purely imperical / electrical testing standpoint (and costs $700 vs. $3K for a Decware pre with switching,etc).  So does using something of that quality in front of a UF02.1 diminish those virtues acheived by the amp . . . or does it just fail to "layer on more goodness" in the way Lon describes.

Lon - IIRC you are in Ohio - Cleveland / Youngstown ish ? ?   If you would be willing to take a visitor (me!) and spend an hour or two explaining your system and "journey" (such an overused word - sorry, uuuggh) I would be super excited to meet one of the Decware OG's and learn more !

Let me know - if your willing - and if so, what might work over the next couple of months (I am heading out of town for the balance of this week).  If this is too forward of a request, just tell me thanks but no thanks !

Best to all
Doug

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #5 - 03/20/23 at 14:32:03

Doug that is something that we may be able to arrange May or so or beyond. We'll stay in touch. My wife is usually not at all up to this sort of thing. . . if we can arrange a meet during her work week that may be fine. I would be able to demonstrate the system as I have it set up. Less likely that I could show it without a preamp and ZROCK2 etc. Not easy to just take those in and out of my system the way my rack is set up.

I used to believe strongly that the simplest pathway is the best. That was before I really learned of "gain riding" and especially before the ZROCK2. When I heard the rich dense sound that can be obtained--so close to the best analog I've ever heard--I couldn't go back or argue that the fewer the components the better. It all changed for me.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 03/20/23 at 15:03:27

That is certainly something I like to participate in if possible. Is three a crowd?

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #7 - 03/20/23 at 15:15:59

Welcome to the family Doug!

Here is my opinion on some of the questions you posed above:

Quote:
1) Even though the Rachel and UF02.1 amps can be used without a preamp ahead of them, what exactly are the pros and cons (if any) to utilizing a preamp ?   And will the preamp likely offer a little more overall SPL "headspace" by providing a bit higher mV signal to the amp(s) ?

Most sources can put out enough voltage to drive your amps to the max clean output so adding a preamp usually doesn't add any more actual SPL. But a good preamp can make it sound louder, or just better (how ever you define it) by tweaking the sound.

Quote:
2) Are there any Decware SET amp users who utilize a non-Decware preamp  in there signal chain ?

I used a Woo Audio WA22 as a preamp (and headphone amp) for my UFOs (since sold) and will for my UFO25s when they are delivered. I think it is awesome. I learned very early on that I wanted a tube preamp in my system, which for many years was an Audio Research preamp and Pass SEM (single end MOSFET) power amps.

Quote:
I am wondering and curious about utilizing a "non-tube" (SS?) preamp.   Feeling like the value (magic?) of tube amplification happens in the SET amplifiers themselves

There is a lot to unpack there. Firstly, I'd say that "tube magic" is in the ear of the beholder. SET amps certainly have one kind of tube magic but tube preamps also have magic, although of a different and perhaps more subtle sort. I wouldn't look at the preamp question as tube vs. solid state so much as good vs. not as good. Steve Guttenberg (the guy who made Decware go viral with his rave youtube review) used a solid state preamp. There are a lot of great sounding components out there, way more than anyone has a chance to listen to or evaluate.

Quote:
I really like the idea of having in-depth numerical testing by electrical engineers

Sure. My thing (as I have posted many times) is I'm a physicist by training and trade but just as no one has ever bought a Stradivarius or a Chateau Margaux or a Rembrandt based on measurements I'm not going to buy audio gear
based on measurements either. I know what I like and I trust my ears.

[FOOBAR2000 | Jay's CDT2 MRK3] -> Denafrips Terminator 2 + Gaia
Sumiko Pearwood -> Mapleknoll Athena -> Luxman SUT -> Maple-tree Phono 3E
Woo WA22 -> 2x UFO25s, balanced monos
Omega SAM , Hifiman Arya, Senn HD-650
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #8 - 03/20/23 at 15:52:21

John, I'm not sure at the moment I can entertain 1 let alone 2. Will see later on . . . .

IP Logged
Chocolate
Verified Member

Reply #9 - 03/20/23 at 16:02:16

Thanks again to both (et al).    James I appreciate your dissecting of my questions and trying to answer in little bites.   Very clear.

Lon . . . again no pressure - but if you can swing it that would be great . . . and I understand about showing me your system "as is" - no worries.
I think we talked (when I first joined) about the HR1's (?) - that might have even been prior to my making it out to Decware when I was debating omni (which started years ago due to a neighbor that had some mirage omnistats, then just prior to learning of Decware a conversation with Dale Harder at HHR exotic).   But since I now have a pair of Lii F-15's, I'm definitely interested in hearing those in your system !

I might be able to "sweeten" the deal with some . . . you guessed it, chocolate.   No promises, and although I recently retired, I still have some connections  ;).   Let me know what you (and of course your wife) have preferences for, assuming it's allowed dietetically.   Milk, Dark, White (eh), nuts, no nuts, etc . . . and any allergies.   Likleihood of coming through on the bribe increases if we do something after Memorial day as I have a trip to my old stomping grounds May 18-22.   Also being retired (as I recollect you are?) I can be available during weekday working hours.

So here's to post # 4 ! !  Wooo Hoo !

Doug

IP Logged
BlackBess
Seasoned Member

TURN IT DOWN,I have
children sleeping
here

Reply #10 - 03/20/23 at 19:56:50

Wow, just as I started to chant “road trip, road trip” to Cindy my dreams have been dashed. I was hoping to be able to experience for myself this ear of the beekeeper nirvana. I’ll just continue to learn the old fashioned way, bangin’ rocks together.

Narwhals, narwhals swimming in the ocean, causing a commotion, cause they are so awesome.

KEF LS50 wireless 2 w/KC62 sub
Analog Ethos select series 2a3>Decware HDT-v2
Dennis Had Inspire 6FLV-v>Decware T6
Shanling STP10>Klipsh forté IV
Dennis Had 300PSE>Decware DNA 2
IPad mini>Audio Quest Dragonfly cobalt>Focal Clear
Willsenton R300>Bose 601-II
  IP Logged
Doug
Seasoned Member

Reply #11 - 03/21/23 at 03:09:26

Hi Doug!  Doug here!

I completely support your idea of using one amp for full rangers and a second amp for the bass drivers.  My system has been set up this way for several years now, and I would encourage anyone with a desire to head down this trail to go for it whole heartedly.

Regarding the stacking of components, like others, I have spent most of my fifty plus years in the pursuit of good sound believing that this would do nothing but add noise and all types of additional problems and complications.  Only during the past four to five years, and by means of this Decware site, have I realized how wrong I was.  My DAC feeds a tube based ZROCK2, which feeds a tube based CSP3, which feeds a tube based Cary preamp (CAD 300SEI integrated), which feeds a tube based Cary power amp (again the Cary 300SEI).  The CSP3 has double stereo outputs, and it also feeds a solid state stereo power amp.  If it’s up to me, I will never be without multiple tube gain stages in my system because there seems to be an infinite ability to tailor the sound with this kind of setup.  The CSP3 and the ZR2 are incredible pieces of gear, proving that the “tube magic” can be greatly increased instead of causing upstream noise and distortion issues.

The audiosciencereview crew?  My feeling is that their end game is not building systems that create beautiful music, but rather, systems with great specs.  Having built a few horribly harsh sounding systems during my first decade and a half in this hobby based on audio science, I have since given up entirely on specs.  In fact, I don’t own a single piece of gear for which any specs were ever checked.

Many of the guys (not me!) on the Decware forums are masters at this game and can be trusted to give great advice.

Good luck in your decision making and system building!

Jay’s CD2T-Mk3
Denafrips Pontus II
ZROCK2 25th Mods
CSP3 25th & Custom Mods
PAP Quintets with Voxativ 1.6
First Watt J2 or Cary 300SEI
driving Voxativs—no crossover
LFD NCSE driving 15” Woofers
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print