Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/29/24 at 06:13:48 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Anyone else just not opening Decware boxes? (Read 2517 times)
Bluemage
Seasoned Member

Anyone else just not opening Decware boxes?
03/16/23 at 06:06:10

Anyone ever wait? I've had a large order in with Decware for over a year, and finally started receiving components. I've got a ZLC and a fully loaded ZROCK2 sitting in their boxes.

I'm typically one to rip things open, but I'm not even cracking so much as a seal until the 300B, the CSP325, the anniversary modded ZP3, and all the Steve D. Silver interconnects/speaker cables/ etc come in. And if I've not yet acquired my other components, in the box they shall remain. Waiting.

The plan is to completely switch out my current system for anew, which shall be built around the aforementioned Decware gear. I plan to compliment the setup with Cornwall IVs, a Rega Planar 10 with a Koetsu Purple Heart, and a Bob's Devices SUT. Since I've been waiting in a zen like trance for my Decware gear, I have no trouble waiting even longer until I've funded and realized my full setup.

Anyone else ever do this? Just keep everything boxed up until that last thing arrives? Then just go Buck wild?

IP Logged
Bluemage
Seasoned Member

Re: Anyone else just not opening Decware boxes?
Reply #1 - 03/16/23 at 06:10:53

Oh yeah, and the WE 300B tubes. Does the list ever end?

IP Logged
Bluemage
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 03/16/23 at 06:12:21

And the butcher block acoustics rack...sheesh.

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 03/16/23 at 07:45:39

Exciting! I think would take the opposite approach... start with the gear you have, and get to know each piece more individually, while not having them all burning in through the earlier stages at once.

All Modified: Balanced Transformer-DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender-RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro-ZBIT-CSP3-OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV, Simple Wave 300B-HR1/SVS Micro3000sub-Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4 - 03/16/23 at 12:09:54

I would take an opposite approach as well. Get each piece up to speed and become familiar with each.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 03/16/23 at 12:44:59

Odds are you will not see it through. I've tried that and found myself waking up one weak morning briming with curiosity only to kick myself in the butt after thinking why the wait!

AMC CD8b>XO3>Cambridge CXN2>ZDAC>ZBOX>braided silver/occ> Zrock2>CSP2+>SE84 milflex copper 25th>9AWG silver/copper braid>lii Crystal 10 in Huijgen cabinets. Ortofon 2M Black>JVC QL-F4/Otari MX5050B2>ZP3. Isolation. AC filtering. Room treatment.
  IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 03/16/23 at 15:19:49

I also prefer my honeymoon period with each individual component.  Which BBA rack did you order?  I just placed an order yesterday—their 3 tier 30 inch with walnut legs and maple shelves. I also ordered their 1.5” walnut platform with ISO bands for my streamer.

Innuos Pulse-Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE R2R-Ic0n4 Autoformer Passive Pre-Sarah 300B SET Amp-ZBIT-Project Carbon Debut TT-Schiit Mani Phono-GIK Room Treatment-Caintuck Audio Magnum Baffles—Li Audio Fast 15 Drivers-P.I. Audio MajikBuss & Puritan PSM 156 Conditioners
  IP Logged
MikeinMontana
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 03/16/23 at 15:30:01

I open everything immediately! Two reasons. 1: got fd up in shipping, or inop. 2: It was recommended doctors slice open the left side of my neck to repair scarred, tore up/ripped inner carotid. My wife had no part of this as I could not talk or function. She has known me since 11 years old and exactly how I 'think'. Thank God for her. One of the Dr's later thanked her. Likely would have made 'things a LOT worse had they 'worked' on it. Life can be a fickle sob. Don't wait. ~Mike

67827928_2452780354957695_3293768556256165888_ngd_thumb_jpg_1df8dddc873a3266af7569682649b083.jpg
  IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #8 - 03/16/23 at 15:49:42

Yeah, the future is uncertain. I try out new components as soon as they arrive. I also eat dessert first. JMO.

[FOOBAR2000 | Jay's CDT2 MRK3] -> Denafrips Terminator 2 + Gaia
Sumiko Pearwood -> Mapleknoll Athena -> Luxman SUT -> Maple-tree Phono 3E
Woo WA22 -> 2x UFO25s, balanced monos
Omega SAM , Hifiman Arya, Senn HD-650
  IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #9 - 03/16/23 at 16:10:10

Bluemage. Not sure if you have used relatively transparent Decware tube gear before. If not, I think you could sort of call it "alive," always refining with burnin, with tube burnin and usually slow decline of tubes.... Sounding different with different power, feet (and foot placement), racks... Different cables—power, IC and speaker... Different amp adjustments.... Room treatments.... etc, etc... It just shows it all, if well-setup, with a tube lucidity and liquidity.

Since each component offers sound choices beyond tubes... that can be a lot of fun... part of what I really like about Steve's design. He has his "sound" that is recognizable, but each box is individually designed for specific contributions to the whole musical experience and for flexibility within that whole experience. And these choices can really add up with a lot of gear at once, even when not exploring different tubes.

So to me, each piece is individual based on Steve's concept for each. Often using different tubes and tube combinations, the development is driven by the excitement of new discoveries as he susses the concept out, and finding new parts synergy for each. So they all contribute to "a Decware sound," but in individual ways, and getting to know the subtitles of each alone, and in combination, can grow revelatory toward tuning to room and tastes. Then as we get better at fine tuning our music with them, they become something different, good enough to grow into new starting places over and over.... more of why I like the one-by-one approach better.

All Modified: Balanced Transformer-DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender-RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro-ZBIT-CSP3-OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV, Simple Wave 300B-HR1/SVS Micro3000sub-Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
Bluemage
Seasoned Member

Reply #10 - 03/16/23 at 16:32:55

Thanks for the comments guys, I appreciate them. I respect the sentiment, but my current rig is wholly vintage: 1963 Sherwood s5000-II tube amp, and 70s Norman Laboratories, model 10s. I've really got the thing dialed in and it sounds killer. I played Nora Jones for my FIL the other day and it quite literally blew his wig off. Isn't it great when someone experiences true high fidelity for the first time ever?

I'm not sure how wowed I can be placing a Zrock and a ZLC in front of my Sherwood. Steve's caliber of gear mixed with vintage dinosaurs such as my Sherwood likely wouldn't be that monumental. If my curiosity can hold, I'll just keep everything boxed up, acquire piece by piece, and have one glorious day of reckoning in a year or so. It's all about the slow burn, baby!

They're much to be said for piece-by-piece appreciation—I adore poring over every detail of every new thing—and I shall do so. But it's also a thrill to open up 20 new things, set it all up together, and allow the whole to blow you into the stratosphere. This whole thing has snow-balled. What began as a modest MKV purchase, transformed and morphed into 300b-csp325-ZrockII-ZP3-ZLC-Steve cables. This can primarily be attributed to reading all the glowing reviews from you fine folks. What began as, "hey, let's see what this Decware thing's all about," to "let's just go balls out and get the best of everything (within my budget). Buy quality, cry once, and then my wife and I can enjoy our 1500+ record collection to the absolute maximum from now to the grave.

I haven't ordered by rack yet, but I'm thinking about this one: https://butcherblockacoustics.com/products/rigidrack™-4-shelf-rack-1-thick-maple...
-shelves-1-walnut-legs?variant=29468521562227

That might be too large for the gear I'm getting, but maybe not. I'll do some final measurements and such when I get closer to go time. The rack will be the last thing I acquire before opening all the boxes.

IP Logged
MikeinMontana
Seasoned Member

Reply #11 - 03/16/23 at 17:10:59

"Yeah, the future is uncertain. I try out new components as soon as they arrive. I also eat dessert first. JMO."   Smiley  [smiley=icqlite20.png] Smiley

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #12 - 03/16/23 at 17:18:41

I think you are incorrect supposing that Steve's gear would be somehow incompatible with your vintage system. The ZLC is likely to elevate the sound of all the components you plug into it by lowering the noise floor--you might well be surprised by a nice new level of detail and dynamics.

And ZROCK2 have worked with any system that it is connected to in my household. I was really reticent to go that route at first but it has become the most important link of components before amplification, and I feel pretty certain that it will immediately make an impact on your current system.

I'd try these out if I were you. You can always put them back in the boxes if you don't immediately find the improvements I imagine you will find.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #13 - 03/16/23 at 17:28:02

I agree with Lon. It's your gear and you are of course free to listen to it or not, but my experience is quality components will always elevate the rest of the system. Regardless of how new or old the existing components are.

IP Logged
ArtMan
Seasoned Member

Reply #14 - 03/16/23 at 18:06:29

I purchased a used ZRock2 a month or 2 ago and I can't imagine having a system without one. I upgraded the tube to a Cryotone 12AU7 and added a Synergistic Research Orange fuse as a replacement of a generic one. Both elevated the sound over stock.

I would highly recommend adding the ZRock2 into your system and testing it out. It might make the wait for the rest of your system a little more enjoyable.

Acer Laptop, Curious USB cable, Holo Audio May L2 DAC, ZRock 2, SE84UFO25, Fast 15 Network, Caintuck Audio Fast 15, Decware DSR3S/DHC2/ZFOCUS cables, Swiss Digital Fuse Boxes, Cryotone tubes (5AR4-WC, EL84-WC X 2, ECC88-WC, 0A3-WC X 2, 0D3-WC, 12AU7-WCL)
  IP Logged
Bluemage
Seasoned Member

Reply #15 - 03/16/23 at 18:21:55

You guys are a bad influence—unintentionally coercing me into spending lots of $ on Illinois-made hifi-gear...then making me want to open it up against my will!  :D

IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #16 - 03/16/23 at 19:27:03

Or you can send your gear to folks still on the waitlist—they will be happy to break it in for ya!

Innuos Pulse-Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE R2R-Ic0n4 Autoformer Passive Pre-Sarah 300B SET Amp-ZBIT-Project Carbon Debut TT-Schiit Mani Phono-GIK Room Treatment-Caintuck Audio Magnum Baffles—Li Audio Fast 15 Drivers-P.I. Audio MajikBuss & Puritan PSM 156 Conditioners
  IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #17 - 03/16/23 at 19:35:49

Quote:
Posted by: Kamran      Posted on: Today at 11:27:03
Or you can send your gear to folks still on the waitlist—they will be happy to break it in for ya!

Now that's some out of the box thinking!

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #18 - 03/16/23 at 20:02:02

LOL!

IP Logged
bramar
Ex Member

Reply #19 - 03/17/23 at 02:41:58

I totally agree with the others….on day one get the gear of of their boxes and get to know them and burn them in up front!

Brad

IP Logged
MikeinMontana
Seasoned Member

Reply #20 - 03/18/23 at 17:19:45

Bluemage:
"And the butcher block acoustics rack...sheesh."  "You guys are a bad influence—unintentionally coercing me into spending lots of $ on Illinois-made hifi-gear...then making me want to open it up against my will!  :D"       Perfect! Made me laugh. Always a good thing~ Take care ~ Mike ~oh and by the way-  1963..a good year!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print