Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/26/24 at 06:34:27 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Rega P2 cartridge upgrade (Read 1779 times)
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Rega P2 cartridge upgrade
03/09/23 at 07:37:19

Everyone,

I currently have a Rega P2 with the stock carbon cartridge with RB220 tonearm that does not have anti skate or VTA adjustment.   I am looking to upgrade to a better cartridge that my tonearm can handle.   I have done a lot of online research, and  I’ve narrowed it down to the following several cartridges in no particular order…

Rega Elys mk2
Rega Exact mk2
Ortofon 2M  Bronze
AT VM 540ML
Nagaoka MP110

From what I have read… The P2 ‘s lack of anti-skate and VTA adjustment does limit the cartridge selection a bit. Also with the tracking force set at 2g which is what the Carbon is supposed to run at… Running an upgraded cartridge with less then 2g is not ideal and could potentially cause some issues since I don’t have any anti skate adjustment.

Originally I was looking for a direct drop in replacement, but I am open to adding spacers to the tonearm to accommodate a different cartridge. I know the Exact2 is almost as much as my table, so that cartridge maybe overkill for this table.  Out of the cartridges listed, I am intrigued the most about the Ortofon 2M Bronze.  

I am not ready to invest in a new table just yet… But I when I do I would at least look into upgrading to a Rega P6.  With that being said… There is a part of me that is saying I should leave the table alone as is, and then when it’s time to upgrade put the money into a better table as opposed to dumping at least several hundred dollars into a better cartridge…any thoughts?

If anyone has any experience with the cartridges that I listed.. please let me know what you think.  

Any opinions and/or input would be greatly appreciated.

Dom

Rasp. Pi 4 [Roon], Schiit Bifrost True Multibit DAC, ZBIT, ZROCK2, My Audio Cables Ultra Silver+, ZSB, CSP2+ 25th, DAG Cables, DHC1, Torii MKIV 25th /2 White Zen SE84C+ 25th mono’s, Rega P2 Turntable,Rega Fono MK5, Velodyne Dual Firing Sub, ERR’s [Bubbinga Wood]
  IP Logged
alper_yilmaz
Seasoned Member

Re: Rega P2 cartridge upgrade
Reply #1 - 03/09/23 at 08:45:10

Dominick,

I have a P6 which I originally bought with an Exact MM cartridge.  I recently switched to an Ania Pro MC.  Exact is a great cartridge and I think it has a nice synergy with Rega turntables.  When you upgrade your TT in the future it is still to be there anyway.  So if I were you, I would go a bit overboard and get the Exact.

Cheers,

Alper

Mac Mini
Audirvana
Rega RP6 w/ Ania Pro & Rega Fono MC MK4
Rotel RCD1070
Hegel HD30 & Copland DAC215
Fezz Audio Mira Ceti 300B, Decware SE84UFO25, Decware SE34I.2+ & Copland CTA405
ProAc D28, B&W DM630 & Rega RS1
Stein & BlackNoise filters
DH Labs cables
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #2 - 03/09/23 at 10:57:14

I have a Rega RP3 with a TTPSU and all the Groovemaster mods and an Exact2. I highly recommend this cartridge and I recommend considering the sub-platter mod from Groovemaster for your table--that would be the best mod other than a cartridge change if it's available.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #3 - 03/09/23 at 16:20:16

Lon and Alper….thanks for your input. I foresee we keeping this turntable for probably another year but no more than 2 years. I’ve been playing vinyl a lot more lately and feel that an upgraded table will be inevitable.  

When I bought the P2… I just didn’t squeeze out the extra funds for the P3… Which in hindsight was a big mistake with not having anti skate.   The P3 would’ve been the better turntable to keep for a longer time.  

I have read everywhere that the Exact2 cartridge is a great sounding cartridge and I know it would be a huge upgrade from the Carbon.  With initially leaning towards the Ortofon Bronze at $420… maybe jumping up into the $650 Exact2 is worth the extra money since I’m 2/3 already there in terms of cost.  

While I have no complaints with the sound of the Carbon cartridge… I know I am missing out on a lot of detail and fidelity.  There  is a point of diminishing returns when upgrading my current table which is more of an entry level table. So I’m trying to keep it somewhat realistic knowing that a better turntable will be inevitable.  

Dom

Rasp. Pi 4 [Roon], Schiit Bifrost True Multibit DAC, ZBIT, ZROCK2, My Audio Cables Ultra Silver+, ZSB, CSP2+ 25th, DAG Cables, DHC1, Torii MKIV 25th /2 White Zen SE84C+ 25th mono’s, Rega P2 Turntable,Rega Fono MK5, Velodyne Dual Firing Sub, ERR’s [Bubbinga Wood]
  IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #4 - 03/10/23 at 16:19:26

Lon,

After some thought…I decided to pull the trigger on the Groovetracer Reference sub platter. It should be shipped out today.   With looking to acquire a second Decware Zen amp, upgrading to the P6 may be a bit further out than my 1 year target.  

In regards to the cartridge… I’ve narrowed it down to either the Ortofon 2M Bronze or the Rega Exact2.  With no bias adjustment on my table, and the anti skate preset at 2g….I’m trying to keep the cartridge load close to 2g.  The tracking force recommendation on the Bronze is 1.5 and the Exact2 is 1.75.  The bronze would require between a 2 and 4mm spacer, while the Exact2 requires none.  My gut is telling me the Exact2 may be the way to go.  Still need to ponder it more….but that’s what I’m leaning towards.

Dom

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #5 - 03/10/23 at 17:33:19

Wow, I like the way you are leaning. I think you will find the sub-platter a definite improvement--I sure did. Keep us posted!

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #6 - 03/10/23 at 21:49:10

Thanks Lon!!  I will definitely keep you posted when I get the Groovetracer installed.  I anticipate a nice sonic improvement as well.  In terms of the cartridge…I am going to try and hit up this HIFi store near me and see if I can demo both cartridges just for peace of mind.  I figure that maybe by the summer I will pull the trigger on the cartridge.  

Just received my Japanese first pressing of John Mellencamp’s “Scarecrow” album.  He’s a childhood favorite and his  “Hurt So Good” album was actually the first vinyl album that was given to me when I was in my early teens.  So I’m partial. Gonna give it a cleaning and probably listen to it tomorrow.  

Dom

IP Logged
Danny Boy
Verified Member

"You spent how
much?"

Reply #7 - 03/12/23 at 03:52:03

Dom,

One thing I don't want you to overlook is your phono pre-amp. I bought a Rega P6 with the Ania MC cartridge, and decided to use the Rega Fono MC pre-amp. This was a good combination, but it was only when I upgraded to the Lehman Audio Black Cube SE II the deck really began to sing. Many things about the sound changed for the better.  

Not trying to sell you on the Lehman, but my point here is don't overlook your pre-amp. The Rega Fono was really holding the P6 back, in my opinion. I used modestly priced cartridges over the years, and the Ania is the most I have ever spent on one. My go-to MM cartridge for YEARS was the Shure M97xE. Too bad they cannot be had any more...

Best,

Danny

Decware UFO2 / Rega P6 with Ania cartridge / Lehmann Audio Black Cube SE II phono pre-amp / All Kimber cabling / Klipsch Heresy IV
  IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #8 - 03/12/23 at 13:33:52

Danny,

The phono preamp was the first piece I originally addressed. I started with a crappy Schiit mani just to get me going.    I then upgraded to the Rega Fono MM mk5 and there was no comparison…and a huge upgrade in sound.    Ideally I wanted a a Decware ZP3, but it was out of my price point at that time.  

My goal is to keep this deck for the next 1-2 years, and then jump into a P6…or if the funds are available a P8.  I guess at that point I’ll definitely need to address the preamp for sure.  

One day for kicks I pulled my ZSTAGE from the signal chain, and was a no go.  So now I go from my Rega preamp, into my ZROCK2, then my Zstage, and then into my Zen amp and the sound is really really good!  

Thanks for the info on the Lehman..I will definitely take a look at and keep it on the back burner for when I make the jump into the P6 or P8.  

I just looked at the Lehman…and it’s damn impressive!! I love the idea of the external power supply…. that has  be contributing factor to the sound and how quiet it is.

Dom

IP Logged
Crazy Bill the Eel Killer
Seasoned Member

Tubes Rule !!

Reply #9 - 03/13/23 at 15:52:38

Hello Dom,
With your Rega tonearm you should take a look at this:  https://www.vtaf.com/the-original-vtaf-for-rega-post-mount.html#/

Does wonders for the arm and adds VTF on the fly. I've got one of his Universal Tonearms and the guy is a genius.

Good luck with your endeavor.

Cheers,                          Crazy Bill

IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #10 - 03/14/23 at 05:06:45

Thanks Crazy Bill.  The lack of VTF adjustment on my table is a real downer.  That product looks awesome  and would do the trick. I’m trying to keep my mods within reason, because ultimately a better turntable is really what I am after. Trying to find a good balance is challenging when it comes to return on investment with tweaks and mods.  

Just got the Groovetracer sub platter installed today, but didn’t get a chance to listen.  Hopefully tomorrow.  I’ll report back when I get a chance to hear how the sub platter works.  

Thanks again,

Dom  

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print