04/20/24 at 09:19:13 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Zrock2 problem (Read 3097 times)
johnnycopy
Seasoned Member

Zrock2 problem
03/03/23 at 21:18:40

Sold a perfectly functioning zrock2 and the buyer (Andrew) just got it.

The tube lights but no signal coming through when the front switch is in the up position.

Anyone ever have this problem… Steve?

Thanks for any help troubleshooting.

John

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Re: Zrock2 problem
Reply #1 - 03/03/23 at 21:32:11

Likely already looked at, but... are the IC pairs on the correct jacks of the ZRock. Has an alternate tube been tried? I guess it is possible that a solder joint could have come loose in shipping, but hopefully something simpler.

All Modified: PSA-P5>DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender>RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro/ZBIT/CSP3>OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV>Omega S-A-H-O monitors/SVS Micro3000>Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
DrewDays

Reply #2 - 03/03/23 at 21:34:55

Thanks for starting this, Johnny.

I'm getting audio when the ZROCK2 is in the down position (bypass).

When I flip the switch up, the audio drops out.

VPI Prime, Ortofon Bronze/Black, ZP3, ZROCK2, Rachael (SE34I.5), Caintuck Audio Lii F-15 Open Baffles
  IP Logged
DrewDays

Reply #3 - 03/03/23 at 21:37:49

Likely already looked at, but... are the IC pairs on the correct jacks of the ZRock. Has an alternate tube been tried? I guess it is possible that a solder joint could have come loose in shipping, but hopefully something simpler.

Hi Will,

ICs are in their proper place. I referenced the manual and quadruple checked.

I haven't had a chance to order a backup set of tubes for all my gear yet, but I'm doing that now. Hopefully that's the issue. Fingers crossed.

VPI Prime, Ortofon Bronze/Black, ZP3, ZROCK2, Rachael (SE34I.5), Caintuck Audio Lii F-15 Open Baffles
  IP Logged
johnnycopy
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 03/03/23 at 21:38:41

Thanks will i asked the person the same question about interconnect orientation and whether tube was fully seated which Andrew confirmed.

Could the tube light but still send no signal through?

When I got the unit the tube was humming, so I replaced with nos organ grade which I supplied with unit as sold.

Thanks John

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #5 - 03/03/23 at 21:43:12

Quote:
Posted by: johnnycopy      Posted on: Today at 13:38:41

...Could the tube light but still send no signal through?

In theory, yes. There are two circuits in a tube amp: a low voltage high current circuit that lights up the filament, and a high voltage, lower current circuit that actually amplifies the music signal.

[FOOBAR2000 | Jay's CDT2 MRK3] -> Denafrips Terminator 2 + Gaia
Sumiko Pearwood -> Mapleknoll Athena -> Luxman SUT -> Maple-tree Phono 3E
Woo WA22 -> 2x UFO25s, balanced monos
Omega SAM , Hifiman Arya, Senn HD-650
  IP Logged
johnnycopy
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 03/03/23 at 21:50:09

Thanks, wish a tube was closer at hand for him to swap.

Thanks again.

IP Logged
DrewDays

Reply #7 - 03/03/23 at 21:51:51

You and me both, Johnny. Grin Working on getting backup tubes here for all my newfound Decware gear asap.

IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #8 - 03/03/23 at 22:03:13

Hi Drew.

It appears from your equipment signature, that you are vinyl only?

But, if you have a digital source, you could take the 12au7 out of the ZP3 and try it.

Best,

Geno

(2)SE84UFO(Balanced Monoblocs) OR Sansui AU-222
Crown sub amp
Cambridge Audio CXN(ModWright) • ZBIT
SL-1210MK5(KAB Mods) Soundsmith Aida MKll cart • Darlington Labs MP-7
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
Lii Audio PT-10/W-15 in open baffles
  IP Logged
DrewDays

Reply #9 - 03/03/23 at 22:03:42

So I came across this in a thread Johnny shared with me from the ZROCK2 forum.

From Steve Deckert:

"Don't bother trying 12AX7's or anything from that family, it will throw things too far off to sound right.  Most likely sound like shit. But a 12AT7 is a different story. Falls in the middle of the two, and in this case amps things up by another 6 dB I'm guessing. It really hits."

I have 3 more 12AX7s in my Mesa Boogie I can borrow. Although Steve doesn't recommend for sonic reasons, it seems safe to try in the ZROCK2.

IP Logged
DrewDays

Reply #10 - 03/03/23 at 22:17:36

But, if you have a digital source, you could take the 12au7 out of the ZP3 and try it.

Hey Geno,

That's correct, I'm all vinyl. I was able to borrow a 12AX7 from my Mesa Boogie Lone Star.

Unfortunately, the problem is still present. When I flip the front switch up to the on position, the signal drops out. The audio can be heard verrrrrrryyyyyy very faintly in the speakers.

Definitely not operating like it should as shown in this demo:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfbGUBaofAM

IP Logged
johnnycopy
Seasoned Member

Reply #11 - 03/03/23 at 22:23:56

So sorry to hear drew, keep me informed after talking to Steve.

I assume drew will need an rma number if he has to send it in hey guys?

IP Logged
GroovySauce
Seasoned Member

Reply #12 - 03/03/23 at 23:13:10

Once I tried a 12AX7 in my ZROCK2 and no sound.

Sounds like a replacement 12au7 might fix it.

Maximus NEO TT|ViV Rigid Float TA | Phasemation PP-200 or Hana ML | Sutherland Little Loco MK2 | Innuos ZENith MK3 | LampizatOr GA TRP | EMIA Remote Autoformer | STL "Super Tube Rectifier" STR-1002 | SRA Cables | PAP Quintet 15 1.6 Voxativ |Torus AVR15
  IP Logged
DrewDays

Reply #13 - 03/03/23 at 23:41:47

Once I tried a 12AX7 in my ZROCK2 and no sound.

Sounds like a replacement 12au7 might fix it.

Well then... Sad That's weird...

I guess I'll have to get my hands on a 12AU7 to be certain. My grandfather might have a guitar amp that uses them. I have a feeling they're all 12AX7s though.

Thanks for sharing your experience, Groovy.

Cheers  [smiley=beer.gif]

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #14 - 03/04/23 at 00:31:09

Hey Drew. A new toy and no play. I feel for you (and Johnny too).

One thing that occurs to me that you likely tried also... Have you tried it with the "A-B" switch in the back in the other position? If it happened to work, I think that would rule out the tube circuit anyway.

All Modified: PSA-P5>DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender>RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro/ZBIT/CSP3>OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV>Omega S-A-H-O monitors/SVS Micro3000>Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
DrewDays

Reply #15 - 03/04/23 at 00:35:36

If it helps anyone out there, these are the steps I've tried:

Ensured power cable worked properly, checked fuse for continuity, reseated all cables, reseated 12AU7, swapped the tube out with a 12AX7, and tried the rear switch in both settings.

Looks like my grandfather has a tube after all, so I'm hoping to try an 12AT7 in the morning. Steve has talked about using one successfully for sonic reasons, so if it still doesn't work, I think that'll rule the "bad tube theory."

IP Logged
DrewDays

Reply #16 - 03/04/23 at 00:59:05

Have you tried it with the "A-B" switch in the back in the other position? If it happened to work, I think that would rule out the tube circuit anyway.

Yeah, I tried that too. No dice. Added that to my list above, forgot to add that.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #17 - 03/04/23 at 01:19:20

If he does need to send it in there's an RMA form on the website to print and use. Here is a link:

https://www.decwareproducts.com/_files/ugd/f1f204_62344b8b61254ed2b8de20fe2dd6bf...

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #18 - 03/04/23 at 01:26:01

Sorry Drew. I am bad not to reload the page before posting, so I did not see your test method post before asking about the back switch. Glad you found a tube to test with.

In my first version of the ZRock2, with the tube mod only, I preferred 12AT7s for the most part, at least a very sonically balanced and resolving one I have, a particularly complete sounding old Mullard. After I fully modified the ZRock, fine tuned with faster, more transparent parts and wires, and some pretty complex cap bypassing... a 12AU7 is very resolving and plenty dynamic for me. 12AT7s are still more powerful, so bigger, denser and more vivid seeming... seductive for a while, but so far they seem to have moved into an overstated zone for me... in this system anyway.

May be a little different for yours, but on my ZRock2+ version unity gain is below 12 o'clock with a 12AT7, like 11ish, and with a 12AU7 around 1 o'clock give or take.

IP Logged
DrewDays

Reply #19 - 03/04/23 at 19:27:12

Welp, no luck after swapping the tube with the 12AT7.

Thanks for the link, Lon. Looking like I'll definitely be needing that.

Thanks for sharing your experience, will. Can't wait to have mine up and running.

Does anyone know what the typical turnaround time is for repairs?

Cheers,
Andrew

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #20 - 03/04/23 at 19:34:53

Turnaround is generally two weeks or so.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
cliffmay
Verified Member

Reply #21 - 03/08/23 at 01:43:11

Man... I've had mine for 1 week and I'm having the same issue. I think it's related to the power cord. If I hold it in place it works but if I don't it slowly starts losing power.

IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #22 - 03/08/23 at 01:44:44

Maybe there is a ZRock virus going around

MINI TORII & ZROCK2 both anniversaried; 'Lil Audio F-15; TECHNICS SL1200MK2 KAB MODDED TT; ONKYO 6 DISC CD; MARANTZ 2226B; SCHIIT MULTIBIT DAC; SENNHEISER HD-580s
55   IP Logged
cliffmay
Verified Member

Reply #23 - 03/08/23 at 01:55:07

Definitely an issue with power cable. Nothing has physically happened. A lot of play up and down in the connection. When seated in a low position in the socket it works. straight on it doesn't.

IP Logged
DrewDays

Reply #24 - 03/08/23 at 02:03:40

So you’re actually seeing your tube’s glow disappear, Cliff?

If so, that’s not what I’m seeing. All three tubes I’ve tried are glowing strong and never fade out.

This is the response I received from Steve, “ The symptoms you describe are exactly what happens when it is hooked up in reverse. The vertical pair of jacks nearest the outside edge are the output jacks while the inner pair are the input jacks. Another possibility is the fuse holder contains two fuses, a spare in the square tunnel and the active fuse in the clip.”

Unfortunately, both issues he mentioned aren’t the problem. One fuse and the cables are 100% in the correct jacks.

IP Logged
cliffmay
Verified Member

Reply #25 - 03/08/23 at 02:14:44

Is there any play in the cord into the socket? If so... Hold it squarely into the socket and wait to see if you get audio with it engaged.

IP Logged
cliffmay
Verified Member

Reply #26 - 03/08/23 at 02:21:53

Verified with another power cable. All is good.

IP Logged
DrewDays

Reply #27 - 03/08/23 at 02:37:45

Is there any play in the cord into the socket? If so... Hold it squarely into the socket and wait to see if you get audio with it engaged.

I've tried multiple power cords. Holding it square into the socket doesn't work either. The issues persists.

Glad you were able to get yours running though.  [smiley=beer.gif]

IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #28 - 03/08/23 at 09:50:42

Hi Drew

I see that Zrock was described as having tube regulation. Could it be that shipping could have damaged that tube located inside the Zrock?

John

AMC CD8b>XO3>Cambridge CXN2>ZDAC>ZBOX>braided silver/occ> Zrock2>CSP2+>SE84 milflex copper 25th>9AWG silver/copper braid>lii Crystal 10 in Huijgen cabinets. Ortofon 2M Black>JVC QL-F4/Otari MX5050B2>ZP3. Isolation. AC filtering. Room treatment.
  IP Logged
DrewDays

Reply #29 - 03/08/23 at 14:00:02

I see that Zrock was described as having tube regulation. Could it be that shipping could have damaged that tube located inside the Zrock?

That's a great question. I completely forgot to take pictures of the tube for Steve that show the internal tube glowing. In the pics below, you can see both tubes glowing.

IP Logged
johnnycopy
Seasoned Member

Reply #30 - 03/08/23 at 21:51:00

great catch jbzen. I had completely forgotten about the internal tube while working with Drew, but I guess it's not that either.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print