Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/26/24 at 03:23:54 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Borderpatrol DAC and ZROCK2 (Read 1040 times)
Matchstikman
Seasoned Member

Borderpatrol DAC and ZROCK2
02/24/23 at 14:24:14

First, some history.
In the last year I got infected by the audio flu when I read about the Decware 300b. However, the 300b isn't an amp for me for several reasons.

That being said, or written, I've been tweaking other pieces of gear.
I rolled some tubes and then I thought that maybe a different DAC might help.

For years I"ve been a fan of Bel Canto DACs. And, I tried out SCHITT DACs. Good DACs.

But, I always read about the great Benchmark DAC and I thought about getting one, but along the way, during the research, I stumbled upon Borderpatrol and their tube rectified DAC.  Lots of good reviews and even Steve Guttenberg said great things about it.

So, I purchased it.

I've been listening to it for about a week.
It sounds different than the other DACS.  It sounds like a DAC that might have existed in the 50s or 60s if DACs were around in those days. It is a no-frills type of DAC.  It only really works with redbook for the most part but audio-type folks can probably find a way or two around that limitation. I didn't get the USB version of it.

The reviews of this DAC state that it rolls off the low-end.  So, because of this, I think it goes great with the ZROCK2.  The low end is there.

If you like quartets, like Kronos, acoustic guitar, like Simon & Garfunkel, acoustic piano, like Thelonious Monk, rock, like Pink Floyd, then I think this is a DAC that you might enjoy, too.

However, I still like the Bel Canto, and I'm lucky enough to own two CD transports: one for the Borderpatrol, and one for the Bel Canto. So, no compromise here.

This weekend, life is good.

Thoughts?

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: Borderpatrol DAC and ZROCK2
Reply #1 - 02/24/23 at 14:28:21

My thoughts: congrats. Sounds as if you have a great DAC for your system and are having enjoyable listening.

What transports are you using?

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Matchstikman
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 02/24/23 at 15:06:32

The transport that is currently connected to the Borderpatrol is a TASCAM CD-200. SCHIIT, from what I've heard, is about to release a transport and I'll probably get that.  The Bel Canto is currently connected to a Cambridge transport.  Which, makes brings up a thought.  I may need another ZROCK2 for the Cambridge connection.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #3 - 02/24/23 at 15:10:15

Cool. I think the Cambridge is a good one. I have an Audiolab one right now sitting unused that was a step up from any cd player I used as a transport before. It's interesting what differences transports can and do make.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #4 - 02/24/23 at 15:32:04

Firstly, glad you're liking your new DAC. I'm a Denafrips guy myself and while I don't have any direct experience with any of the DACs you've mentioned, it really seems like (after 40 years) we're finally at a place where great digital sound is available all over the market, from many makers and up and down the price ladder.

The thing you said about:   Quote:
It only really works with redbook for the most part but audio-type folks can probably find a way or two around that limitation. I didn't get the USB version of it.

it kinda brought into focus something that's been kicking around in my head for a while. Today it seems like the big decision is what you put in front of your DAC, or in other words how you want to buy and play your digital music. Once you've done that you can shake the trees and great sounding DACs will fall out. Do you stream? Then you've got a whole world of network tweaks to think about. Do you still play physical media? and if so how much longer is that going to be an option, at least outside of endless reissues of Kind of Blue (and maybe Rumors ...). Or downloads (how I buy much of my music these days), or high rez, or a combination. That seems like where the "hard work" of putting together a digital system that both sounds great and works for your lifestyle and listening preferences is these days.

[FOOBAR2000 | Jay's CDT2 MRK3] -> Denafrips Terminator 2 + Gaia
Sumiko Pearwood -> Mapleknoll Athena -> Luxman SUT -> Maple-tree Phono 3E
Woo WA22 -> 2x UFO25s, balanced monos
Omega SAM , Hifiman Arya, Senn HD-650
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #5 - 02/24/23 at 15:51:56

CA, you are right, digital is amazing these days at all kinds of price points. A fulfillment of early promise and great audio is now possible from digital.

And I think you're also pointing out wisdom in suggesting one consider source material when considering a DAC. I'm a disc only digital person and as my transport and DAC have an excellent connection via I2S for SACD as well as Redbook I have the DAC I have (and a Mk2 on the way next month according to the most recent messaging.) When your source(s) and DAC match up well there's the potential for jaw-dropping sound.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print