Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/27/24 at 02:18:05 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Subwoofer advice -- can't do high-level connection (Read 1417 times)
mk60

Subwoofer advice -- can't do high-level connection
02/20/23 at 20:43:26

Hi all, I'm about to get an SE84UFO25 on loan from a friend (my order is still at least 6 months away on the wait list) and looking for advice in terms of how to best integrate it into my system.

My speakers are Klipsch La Scala AL5, and I also have a REL HT/1510 Predator subwoofer. One important aspect of this subwoofer is that it does *not* feature high-level connection, as it is primarily designed for home theater. The reason I use this subwoofer is that it is literally the only one I have been able to find for <$3000 that can level match the La Scalas (which have "105" dB efficiency). Seriously, anything else I've tried from REL or Rhythmik is near inaudible even with the sub amp set to max gain.

Up until now, I've been using an integrated tube amp (primaluna evo 400), so I have no dedicated pre-amp around. I'm guessing the only reasonable way I'll be able to run my subwoofer in my system is if I put a pre-amp in front of the Decware? Or could it be workable to just have Y connectors coming straight off my DAC output (Denafrips Pontus II), with one going to decware and other to sub? I could do volume control through my streamer.

Thoughts/advice appreciated!! Smiley Very excited to hear the Decware and really hope to find a good way to make it fit with what I have.

Main System: Lumin U2 Mini->Denafrips Pontus II->ZTPRE->[2x SE84UFO25 in Differential Balanced Mono]->Klipsch La Scala AL5 + 2x REL 212/SX
Office System: Naim Uniti Atom->SE34I.5->Zu Dirty Weekend 6 Supreme
  IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Re: Subwoofer advice -- can't do high-level connection
Reply #1 - 02/20/23 at 21:22:27

You can always try the Y connectors and see what they will do for you. I finally added an extra output on my preamp just for this.

Decware 34I.3 integrated amp/Forte' 3 bass amp/Velodyne SMS-1 bass mngmnt system/Decware ZOB speakers/Audio Nirvana 8" bass drivers/Xiang Seng DAC/ LR Audio Computer/Rega Apollo R CDP/Emotiva ERC3 CDP/BPT 3.0 power cond.
  IP Logged
MrDerrick
Seasoned Member

May The Source Be
With You!

Reply #2 - 02/21/23 at 00:03:17

I have the SE84UFO25 and use a Jensen Isomax adapter to connect it to the SUB225 bass units for my Avantgarde Duo Omega horns.

SE84UFO25 speaker out > Jensen Isomax > XLR > Rives PARC > XLR > Sub225s

https://www.jensen-transformers.com/product/sp-2sx/

I use the balanced version, it has speakon and a terminal strip for speaker level connections.
Correct speaker/sub phase will be maintained with this connection method.

EDIT:

If you need RCA instead of XLR inputs to your sub, read the manual that is on the linked page, read up on the SN-2NR and SS-2NR ( RCA )

PS: I have always wanted to hear the La Scala horns!

1.4/1.5 MHz 20 Bit PCM Qobuz or SSD
HQPE - sonicTransporter i9
HQP Client - i3 Tablet
HQP NAA - Sonore Sig Series Rendu
USB > Holo KTE May > SA1X/47 > ZBIT > ZSTAGE25 > SE84UFO25
Avantgarde Duo Omega & Townshend Super Tweeters
IsoMax > Rives Parc > SUB225s
  IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #3 - 02/21/23 at 01:09:32

Mr. Derrick,
Are you kidding? It would seem some kind of dream to hear what you have set up with your system! I'm not gonna go all gaga over it, but there must something more than special about the sound when Avangarde horns, a Rives PARC, and that Decware amp are used. I imagine that the bass was still a challenge though?

Decware 34I.3 integrated amp/Forte' 3 bass amp/Velodyne SMS-1 bass mngmnt system/Decware ZOB speakers/Audio Nirvana 8" bass drivers/Xiang Seng DAC/ LR Audio Computer/Rega Apollo R CDP/Emotiva ERC3 CDP/BPT 3.0 power cond.
  IP Logged
MrDerrick
Seasoned Member

May The Source Be
With You!

Reply #4 - 02/21/23 at 01:45:16

My Duo Omega horns are the 1st gen.
The latest generation have a very sophisticated bass management system integrated into the sub bass units.

The Rives PARC is a necessity for me to get the bottom end dialed in.
It is only in the signal path to the Sub225s.
The subs handle up too around 140 Hz in my space.
The mid and high horns are driven direct from the SE84UFO25.
The mid horn is crossover less, around 200Hz - 2000Hz
There is a cross over on the high horn.

The Rives PARC are a bargain for room correction of the bottom end.
I use a Dayton OMNI Mic to dial the settings in.

1.4/1.5 MHz 20 Bit PCM Qobuz or SSD
HQPE - sonicTransporter i9
HQP Client - i3 Tablet
HQP NAA - Sonore Sig Series Rendu
USB > Holo KTE May > SA1X/47 > ZBIT > ZSTAGE25 > SE84UFO25
Avantgarde Duo Omega & Townshend Super Tweeters
IsoMax > Rives Parc > SUB225s
  IP Logged
mk60

Reply #5 - 02/25/23 at 01:51:03

Thanks, MrDerrick! That looks like exactly what I need. Pricey, but I guess that comes with the territory of trying to run the type of system that I am :p

An actual pre-amp might end up being a good answer, but we'll see!

Main System: Lumin U2 Mini->Denafrips Pontus II->ZTPRE->[2x SE84UFO25 in Differential Balanced Mono]->Klipsch La Scala AL5 + 2x REL 212/SX
Office System: Naim Uniti Atom->SE34I.5->Zu Dirty Weekend 6 Supreme
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print