Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/29/24 at 01:00:50 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Should I change my order (Read 1230 times)
RossQ
Verified Member

Should I change my order
01/29/23 at 03:16:23

Hi all
I have had a few changes to my system over the past few years. I recently changed house and have now realised the room in the last house really wasn’t good for audio which resulted in me wasting some money (buying and selling components etc) trying to get it to sound right.

The main components in the chain now are a Schiit Freya plus preamp switched to high-gain tube mode. The Schiit volume is set at about 80%. The main amp is my 6 watt per channel Decware SET integrated amp (SE34I-5). The Decware is set at 1 o’clock. The speakers are Dynaudio Special Forty. Sensitivity Is only 86db but the system in my new room sounds great. I get around 80db listening volume with no real fluctuation on the Decware metres. Sure, more headroom is needed for very busy loud sections of music but otherwise it is hard to fault. I also have a 155watt per channel mosfet integrated amp but it doesn't sound as good as the Schiit/Decware combo.

In February 2022 I ordered a second Decware SE34I-5 and the thought was to run both amps in 12 watt mono mode. This second amp won’t be available for probably another 6 months.

I was going to ask Steve this question but thought I would open it up to the forum first. Is buying a second identical Decware amp the best way to go or would he have some other suggestions?

Note, I initially bought and still have good brand single-driver speakers with no crossover but I find them too shouty and fatiguing. Also, I wanted to buy a Decware preamp but didn't want to wait 12 to 18 months.

Other components in the chain:
Denafrips Pontus II DAC
Triode Wire Labs speakers cables and interconnects
2 x Rel T/5i subwoofers
Room 3m x 3.6m
Mac Mini running Audirvāna Studio (Tidal & Qobuz)

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Re: Should I change my order
Reply #1 - 01/29/23 at 03:43:50

Quote:
Posted by: RossQ      Posted on: Today at 19:16:23
...The main amp is my 6 watt per channel Decware SET integrated amp (SE34I-5)... I get around 80db listening volume with no real fluctuation on the Decware metres. Sure, more headroom is needed for very busy loud sections of music but otherwise it is hard to fault...

...In February 2022 I ordered a second Decware SE34I-5 and the thought was to run both amps in 12 watt mono mode. This second amp won’t be available for probably another 6 months...

...Is buying a second identical Decware amp the best way to go or would he have some other suggestions?

So, is the goal to get more watts for more headroom? If you turn up the volume on the SE34I-5 any more does it start to clip?

Certainly another amp that you already know and like would be a perfectly reasonable plan. The other option is moving further up the power curve to a push-pull amp, but that comes with unknowns, whereas your current amp is a sure thing. My question is will you will actually get a second SE34I-5 or a newer SE34I-6?

I wonder about your single driver speakers. Did you buy them new, and if so how long did you listen to them? Of course everyone is different, but I love my Omega Super AlNiCo Monitors (and lots of other people love Omega speakers with Decware amps). However, they sounded horrible out of the box. It took about 20 hours before they were remotely listenable and 60 or more hours before they started to sound good. More efficient speakers get you to the same place as more watts.

[FOOBAR2000 | Jay's CDT2 MRK3] -> Denafrips Terminator 2 + Gaia
Sumiko Pearwood -> Mapleknoll Athena -> Luxman SUT -> Maple-tree Phono 3E
Woo WA22 -> 2x UFO25s, balanced monos
Omega SAM , Hifiman Arya, Senn HD-650
  IP Logged
RossQ
Verified Member

Reply #2 - 01/29/23 at 04:04:55

Thanks for the feedback CAJames. Much appreciated.
Well strangely the speakers you mentioned are in fact the exact same ones I have. They were bought new and have had plenty of hours. They are quite wonderful when the instrumentation in a bit sparse and not at all shouty but when the music is busy, and loud and there are large dynamic swings is where I feel they fall down. You are asking a single driver to do a hell of a lot. Just my opinion and ears of course. Everyone is different.  I have a wide range of music styles that I enjoy and for me anyway, the Omega doesn't seem to cope with them all.
Cheers

IP Logged
Ghostship
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 01/29/23 at 14:11:03

I think your reasoning is sound; loving what you hear but doubling the output by going dual mono's to improve headroom. You could of course spend that money on more efficient speakers...but then you run the risk of not loving the way they sound.

Paul Pang Quad Network Switch & Fiber
MSB Premier DAC
Zen Sarah SEWE300B
Cryotone Bundle
Tekton 2-12 Perfect SET Speakers w/ BE Tweeters and Cap & Wiring upgrades
Tekton 2-10 Sub
  IP Logged
RossQ
Verified Member

Reply #4 - 01/30/23 at 00:19:23

Thanks Ghostship

IP Logged
Tooppy
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 01/30/23 at 18:44:55

Personnally I would have changed the speakers, there are plenty at Decware which works very well with the amps !

IFI Streamer - RME_ADI2_DAC_FS - SE84_UFO-2,1 - LII_F15 in Karlsonator DIY - Decware interconnect - DIY speaker cable - Thorens TD166MKII_Grace G707+A&R p77+Schiit Mani - FirstWatt F5 - Klipsch KG3 - Rogers LS3/5A - Leak Sandwich modified - Grado SR125X modified
  IP Logged
RossQ
Verified Member

Reply #6 - 01/30/23 at 22:40:14

Yes maybe.
I initially bought a single-driver OMEGA as mentioned previously and note that on the Omega website, it states that a dual-driver speaker:
-Has more dynamic performance than a single driver.
-Will play louder than a single driver.
-Will handle more complex music than a single driver and is just as fast.

These advantages are exactly what I find lacking in my single-driver speakers.

So, I guess my initial speaker purchase to match up with my Decware SET amp was the wrong one. I was probably seduced by many audiophiles on the Internet saying how wonderful highly sensitive single-driver speakers are. And of course, they are right, they are great but a lot depends on what type of music you are playing.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print