Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/19/24 at 03:13:22 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Single Driver Speakers - SET vs Push-Pull (Read 656 times)
Dr3wman
Seasoned Member

Single Driver Speakers - SET vs Push-Pull
01/26/23 at 18:00:17

I have read lots of discussions including many from Steve on the magic between SET amps and single driver speakers.

As a Torii MKV owner - does the same " magic"  happen with a push/pull amp? I know there are many other factors like your room, source etc.......but just curious if the relationship is similar.

Thanks!

Torii MKV/25 mods
PS Audio Stellar Phono Preamplifier
Technics SL-1200GR w/ Nagaoka MP-200.
KLH Model 3 speakers..
Sonos connect.
  IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Re: Single Driver Speakers - SET vs Push-Pull
Reply #1 - 01/26/23 at 18:14:39

I would look at it this way: SET amps have limited options for compatible speakers, and single driver speakers are an excellent option that really accentuates what SET amps do well. PP amps have a lot more options, but I think single driver speakers would still be a great match, assuming they work with your room, the rest of your system and etc.

[FOOBAR2000 | Jay's CDT2 MRK3] -> Denafrips Terminator 2 + Gaia
Sumiko Pearwood -> Mapleknoll Athena -> Luxman SUT -> Maple-tree Phono 3E
Woo WA22 -> 2x UFO25s, balanced monos
Omega SAM , Hifiman Arya, Senn HD-650
  IP Logged
GroovySauce
Seasoned Member

Re: Single Driver Speakers - SET vs Push-Pull
Reply #2 - 01/26/23 at 19:13:38

Dr3wman, I've compared the MKV to the UFO25TH. I do have a preference for PP designs. That said. Flipping the meter switches all on is very similar to the UFO SET sound. Turning them all off is more of the PP sound.

Even with the meter switches in the on position it has more control over the drivers. Meaning that the bass is faster.

I've run the UFO25TH Torii MKIV, Torii MKV, and ZMA with single driver speakers. Yes, the Decware PP have the same magic.

I go the other way as Steve though. Decware PP have more magic than the UFOs.

The Torii responds dramatically to tube selection. I have put in tube compliments that were not inspiring at all and sound lousy. Over time dialing in the tube selection dramatically increased my enjoyment of the music/amp.

If I had never rolled a tube from the tubes that Steve supplied I would have really enjoyed the amp and would recommend it. I would be on the look out for another amp. Now that I've found the tubes I love, I have no desire to look at another tube amp.

EDIT / Addition: I'm not sure what it is that causes a divide between SET and PP preference. It's an interesting phenomenon. Chatting with people at Decfest most people I ask which they prefer, SET or PP. Most had a strong preference one way or the other.

Maximus NEO TT|ViV Rigid Float TA | Phasemation PP-200 or Hana ML | Sutherland Little Loco MK2 | Innuos ZENith MK3 | LampizatOr GA TRP | EMIA Remote Autoformer | STL "Super Tube Rectifier" STR-1002 | SRA Cables | PAP Quintet 15 1.6 Voxativ |Torus AVR15
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print