Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/25/24 at 11:59:59 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
For Sale: Pair FRX2 Drivers (Read 316 times)
Doug
Seasoned Member

For Sale: Pair FRX2 Drivers
01/22/23 at 22:35:32

I have been interchanging three pairs of middle/high frequency drivers on my Pure Audio Project Quintets for nearly five years, and have finally decided to sell the big wood PAP horns and the Decware FRX2’s.  Though the FRX2’s beat the Voxativ 1.6’s and the PAP wood horns in speed, flat frequency response, high frequency extension, and smoothness, their efficiency rating of 94 db at 1 watt/1 meter significantly lags behind the Voxativ drivers and the big PAP wood horns.  In addition, I have to admit that I like the more raucous sounding Voxativ 1.6’s with their rising high frequency output (you know….the full range driver shout). The FRX2 drivers are now for sale.  Price: $975 including shipping. I’m also selling the PAP wood horns.

I have had the FRX2’s for eight and a half years, but they have spent most of their time packed away in their original Decware shipping boxes.  Total play time on these FRX2’s is probably in the neighborhood of 800 to 1,000 hours…..maybe even less.  

They are in excellent condition and will be shipped in their original Decware boxes.  My Decware invoice shows I paid $1,233.93.  A new pair will cost $1.475 plus shipping, but the new ones appear to be Out of Stock.

By the way, when I first got the FRX2’s I mounted them on 24” x 48” pieces of oak veneered plywood, along with a pair of Eminence Alpha A15’s and the result was really good.  So, for far less than $1,500 you can build a very fine pair of open baffle speakers.

Price: $975 including shipping. PayPal

Jay’s CD2T-Mk3
Denafrips Pontus II
ZROCK2 25th Mods
CSP3 25th & Custom Mods
PAP Quintets with Voxativ 1.6
First Watt J2 or Cary 300SEI
driving Voxativs—no crossover
LFD NCSE driving 15” Woofers
  IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Re: For Sale: Pair FRX2 Drivers
Reply #1 - 01/23/23 at 01:40:08

Doug, So the FRX2 drivers are 5 years old? In your experience, was there bass to be had or were you just running these as mid to high freq?

Decware 34I.3 integrated amp/Forte' 3 bass amp/Velodyne SMS-1 bass mngmnt system/Decware ZOB speakers/Audio Nirvana 8" bass drivers/Xiang Seng DAC/ LR Audio Computer/Rega Apollo R CDP/Emotiva ERC3 CDP/BPT 3.0 power cond.
  IP Logged
Doug
Seasoned Member

Re: For Sale: Pair FRX2 Drivers
Reply #2 - 01/23/23 at 02:21:55

I ran them wide open with no crossover, and with the PAP crossover as mid/high frequency drivers, but always on an open baffle with 15 inch woofer supplementation from 20hz up to around 100hz where a gentle 6 db/octave crossover kicked in.  I bought plans for a ZOB cabinet, and also thought about building a big ole bass reflex cabinet, but never got motivated enough to build either.  So, I don’t have any personal experience with them in a cabinet that would show how much bass they are capable of producing.  I’m almost positive that Parts Express still sells these drivers without Steve’s incredible mods; you might find some worthwhile feedback there on their bass performance.

They are eight and a half years old.

Jay’s CD2T-Mk3
Denafrips Pontus II
ZROCK2 25th Mods
CSP3 25th & Custom Mods
PAP Quintets with Voxativ 1.6
First Watt J2 or Cary 300SEI
driving Voxativs—no crossover
LFD NCSE driving 15” Woofers
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print