Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/20/24 at 02:57:23 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
CRYOTONE listening test (Read 1573 times)
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

CRYOTONE listening test
11/29/22 at 20:27:48

I did a comparison between a NOS RCA and a CRYOTONE 12AU7 on Youtube.  Here is the link.

https://youtu.be/mpUhlHMxSuI

Here are the actual DSD (DFF) files that were recorded for the video comparison.  You can download the two files from the link below.  

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1T9h1f71FzFsuOtXYL-MCP2iQvDf1pNzE?usp=sha...

file 1 is the RCA and file 4 is the Cryotone

WWW   IP Logged
Doug
Seasoned Member

Re: CRYOTONE listening test
Reply #1 - 11/30/22 at 03:09:54

I hear in this comparison the same things I hear in my own system; to my ears, Cryotone tubes are cleaner, more resolving, and livelier, as in they bring me closer to real live music.  

Jay’s CD2T-Mk3
Denafrips Pontus II
ZROCK2 25th Mods
CSP3 25th & Custom Mods
PAP Quintets with Voxativ 1.6
First Watt J2 or Cary 300SEI
driving Voxativs—no crossover
LFD NCSE driving 15” Woofers
  IP Logged
Brian
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 11/30/22 at 03:59:33

I don't know if it was placebo, but to me the Cryotone sounded much prettier than RCA on the Bass, but I could hear no difference on the saxophone.

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #3 - 11/30/22 at 17:26:01

It seems like the cryotone tube has just a little bit more gain.

[FOOBAR2000 | Jay's CDT2 MRK3] -> Denafrips Terminator 2 + Gaia
Sumiko Pearwood -> Mapleknoll Athena -> Luxman SUT -> Maple-tree Phono 3E
Woo WA22 -> 2x UFO25s, balanced monos
Omega SAM , Hifiman Arya, Senn HD-650
  IP Logged
JOMAN
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 11/30/22 at 17:37:33

I have all CryoTone Tubes in my UFO25 and CSP3A.  One of the tubes in the input position of both is a 12AU7-WL Long Plate with an adapter.

Is there a difference?  Absolutely! and it's not placebo.  I have had various NOS 12AU7 and variants.  One was a Siemens 12AU7 Nickel plate.  None come remotely close to the CryoTone 12AU7-WL.

For all the money that we, audiophiles, spend on things like fuses, cables, isolators etc., give these try.  The best results are achieved when a component has an entire grouping of CryoTone tubes.

With this caveat... there may be no going back.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #5 - 11/30/22 at 18:15:16

I haven't had the same kind of experience with the Cryotone tubes so I'm holding off. I have two great NOS complements in my components right now, and a number of great NOS tubes I can rotate in my ZROCK2. And boxes of other NOS tubes that I can roll in my amps and pre-amps with great results. I'm glad they have worked out well for others.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Sean
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 11/30/22 at 21:11:50

They both sound very similar to my ear. The last comparison in the video though did sound more extended and open on the Cryotone.

I've got the same 770 Pro headphones on my desk!

Technics 1210G, AT OC9III, Cinemag 1254 SUT, ZP3, CSP2+, SE84UFO, Tekton Pendragon

Schiit Bifrost, Mac Mini, Roon
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print