Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/26/24 at 08:53:35 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Magnificent Maganavox anyone? (Read 937 times)
EdwardT
Seasoned Member

Magnificent Maganavox anyone?
11/28/22 at 13:46:33

It’s not Decware but it is tube gear so I feel safe asking if anyone has a lead toward refurbishing a 50/60s Magnavox console separates system. A young friend wants to energize his Nana's old stereo which looks to have a pair of tube amps we'd call monoblocks today driven by a 'Magic Eye' radio tuner tube preamp. I tested the dual 15” speakers (each cabinet) and they sounded surprisingly good; judging from a quick look the lower 15” is frequency limited which would make sense.
Since the electronics will need to be removed for identification and possible restoration, I plan to sub in a little plate amp to drive the speakers for immediate gratification. Anyone have a trick treatment for really old paper speakers? By all (brief) appearances they’ve lived inside heated and cooled homes most of the time but paper can be fragile after half a century and I’d rather not hurt them.

IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Re: Magnificent Maganavox anyone?
Reply #1 - 11/28/22 at 17:41:20

That is fantastic. Never saw a magic eye used in a console stereo! I understand what you are saying about the drivers too. Your right they get fragile. You can spray a few light coats of spray varnish on them to hold the paper fibers together a bit better. The surrounds are part of the paper cone I bet but the varnish won't affect it very much. It is there that the drivers will likely separate some day.

Decware 34I.3 integrated amp/Forte' 3 bass amp/Velodyne SMS-1 bass mngmnt system/Decware ZOB speakers/Audio Nirvana 8" bass drivers/Xiang Seng DAC/ LR Audio Computer/Rega Apollo R CDP/Emotiva ERC3 CDP/BPT 3.0 power cond.
  IP Logged
Landcrzn
Verified Member

Re: Magnificent Maganavox anyone?
Reply #2 - 12/08/22 at 03:34:16

I'm new to the forums, but this is cool stuff! Good luck with the restoration!

Dave

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print