Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/29/24 at 06:48:41 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
2 amps/1 pair of speakers (Read 2541 times)
Chester
Verified Member

2 amps/1 pair of speakers
11/11/22 at 05:24:11

I am anxiously waiting as my UFO25 is moving under the 80 spot on the wait list (just about a year and 3 months - not that I'm counting).  I was hoping that someone had come across a safe and non-DIY way to switch between two amps (the other is a Tori Jr.) and one pair of speakers.  I would really like to have both amps connected to my pair of Zu Omens (and sub) without switching the cables each time I want to hear the other amp.  

Does anyone have such a thing that works for them?

Thanks so much for any advice.

- Chester

SE84UFO25/Border Patrol DAC/Zu Omens/Zu Undertone Sub
  IP Logged
cmdc

Re: 2 amps/1 pair of speakers
Reply #1 - 11/11/22 at 12:38:13

My Zu Druids are wired to both my ZMA and my new SE84UFO25, and it works fine.  I have the ZMA wired through the binding posts (though spades would also work), and the UFO25 connected with banana plugs in the top of the binding posts.  

Main:[[TD124 [Koetsu RWS>SME 3009S2Imp][Aidas Durawood>Moerch DP6]][TD124 [Ortofon A90>Kuzma 4Pt9]]>Ned Clayton Cinemag SUT>Dodd Audio Phono Stage>ZRock2][SonicTransporter i7>Mytek Brooklyn Bridge]>ZSB>ZMA>[Zu Druid Mk V][Caintuck Lii 15 OBs/Bass Baffle]
  IP Logged
EdwardT
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 11/11/22 at 18:00:34

Radial makes a tube amp switcher that I’ve used for guitar rigs with great success but you'd need two for stereo: https://www.radialeng.com/product/headbone-vt
Really durable and does not alter the tone.

IP Logged
Chester
Verified Member

Reply #3 - 11/11/22 at 18:04:54

Thanks cmdc!

I’ve got my speaker wire running through a wall, so I’m really hoping not to have to run a second set of speaker wires (if I’m understanding your setup correctly).  Would a “Y” connect work for each speaker wire which was then hooked up to both amps?

IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #4 - 11/11/22 at 22:57:56

I posted a request similar to this in a separate conversation.  One approach would be to take the concept of the Zen Switch Box running it backwards, open it up, and modifying it somehow.  

Dom

Rasp. Pi 4 [Roon], Schiit Bifrost True Multibit DAC, ZBIT, ZROCK2, My Audio Cables Ultra Silver+, ZSB, CSP2+ 25th, DAG Cables, DHC1, Torii MKIV 25th /2 White Zen SE84C+ 25th mono’s, Rega P2 Turntable,Rega Fono MK5, Velodyne Dual Firing Sub, ERR’s [Bubbinga Wood]
  IP Logged
LiquidBlue

Reply #5 - 11/11/22 at 23:30:33

I have used a passive switch box to switch between my 2 channel amp and HT receiver, using the same front speakers.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B073RCRR82
It’s a simple and clean switch. I didn’t notice any sound degradation. The only concern is perhaps making sure the switch is set to the correct amp, before powering the amp on, to ensure there is a speaker load on the amp. You’d plug your speakers into the box output and then run separate cables from each amp into the box inputs. It can also be used to plug in one amp with two speakers to A/B two speakers.

Mofi Ultradeck w/ Hana ML>Sutherland Insight>Eversolo DMP-A6>CSP3-A>SE84UFO25>Energy Veritas>REL T7i
  IP Logged
dank
Seasoned Member

pair of dual 18
Imperials

Reply #6 - 11/12/22 at 02:35:38

This might be overkill, but it will certainly do what you want to do:

https://avahifi.com/collections/used-demo-and-quick-ship/products/abx-switch-com...

It will allow you to volume match your two amps and has a subwoofer output too.  I can email you the manual if you want it.  

One word of warning:  They have been selling at a rate of about 1-2 per month and  there are 7 left.  When these 7 are gone the product will be discontinued.  There will be no more built.

Dan

IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 11/12/22 at 02:59:03

LiquidBlue, I’m sort of in a similar situation after getting the ZWire and hooking that up to my speakers, which meant disconnecting the previous speaker wire that goes out my Denon AVR for HT use.  I haven’t decided on a solution yet as (believe it or not) I’m not necessarily missing my L&R for my HT as the center channel does most of the heavy lifting on the front end.  In other words,  I’m just getting less picky about my HT compared to my 2-channel.

That said, my only concern with the nobosound is the common ground issue brought up in one of the Questions and Answers section.  I then looked this up and found the following post very informative, and perhaps more so for folks running tube amps.

http://audio-room.net/connecting-2-amplifiers-to-one-set-of-speakers-making-an-a...

Innuos Pulse-Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE R2R-Ic0n4 Autoformer Passive Pre-Sarah 300B SET Amp-ZBIT-Project Carbon Debut TT-Schiit Mani Phono-GIK Room Treatment-Caintuck Audio Magnum Baffles—Li Audio Fast 15 Drivers-P.I. Audio MajikBuss & Puritan PSM 156 Conditioners
  IP Logged
LiquidBlue

Reply #8 - 11/12/22 at 08:43:36

Hey Kamran. You bring up good points to consider. I agree, a switch box isn’t without concern, but was a good solution for me when I needed it. I was very careful to make sure to turn off the first amp and switch the box to the other amp, prior to turning it on, to avoid any issues. But accidents do and have happened. It resulted in a loud thud from my sub, but would definitely be more concerning with a tube power amp and more risk of damage.

I’d actually read that article you linked, a while ago and at the time, wasn’t as concerned as I only intended to have a tube preamp and run a solid state power amp, for ease. But as with most of us, the love for tube sound set in.

I’ve wanted a better solution and had been recently looking at the T6 as it would pair well with my existing speakers visually and though similar in sensitivity to my current speakers, perhaps be easier to run with the Zen, being a single driver speaker (and perhaps even sound a bit better). But that will be a consideration down the road after I have the Zen amp in place for a while.

I, like you, have found myself less interested in the HT system and recently put in a pair of smaller speakers, I’d had in storage, to put in place for the front mains and dedicate my better speakers for the 2 channel system. For HT use it actually sounds fine and the center channel still carries all the weight for dialog, so is not a bad option for now. So I no longer have need for a switch box.

I realize this doesn’t really help the OP and perhaps in hindsight may have some additional considerations with using a box like this, with two tube amps.

Mofi Ultradeck w/ Hana ML>Sutherland Insight>Eversolo DMP-A6>CSP3-A>SE84UFO25>Energy Veritas>REL T7i
  IP Logged
Chester
Verified Member

Reply #9 - 11/14/22 at 02:46:21

Thanks to everyone for the advice/input.  There’s much to mull over.  

- Chester

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print