Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/27/24 at 05:13:02 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
How long is the wait, really? (Read 1333 times)
thevinoman

How long is the wait, really?
10/26/22 at 23:17:15

Ordered a Rachel late January 2022.  Looking at the wait list doesn't really help much.....what's the expectation?

IP Logged
Dr3wman
Seasoned Member

Re: How long is the wait, really?
Reply #1 - 10/26/22 at 23:28:20

My experience averaged out has been about 50 spots a month. I FEEL as if it has been speeding up a bit...but I could be wrong. I ordered June of 2021 and was at 700 or so then.........I am now in Quality Control.  So 16 months.  

I know in a lot of cases....there are delays in chassis being delivered or the wait for the base surrounding the amp to be crafted. Although from what Steve/Sarah have said........they are switching to a local craftsman that will be able to focus his work on the amp bases and that should speed things up a bit.

Torii MKV/25 mods
PS Audio Stellar Phono Preamplifier
Technics SL-1200GR w/ Nagaoka MP-200.
KLH Model 3 speakers..
Sonos connect.
  IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #2 - 10/27/22 at 00:42:34

The wait is long, but worth it.

I placed my order on black friday, and it took like 2 months just to get on the list so it is hard to say exactly how far I've moved but 50ish a month is consistent with my calculations as well.

[FOOBAR2000 | Jay's CDT2 MRK3] -> Denafrips Terminator 2 + Gaia
Sumiko Pearwood -> Mapleknoll Athena -> Luxman SUT -> Maple-tree Phono 3E
Woo WA22 -> 2x UFO25s, balanced monos
Omega SAM , Hifiman Arya, Senn HD-650
  IP Logged
Earthbound
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 10/27/22 at 00:55:35

I moved mid way through page 10 to near top page 8 in exactly 5 months.  2 pages in 5 months so do the math I guess. I have since purchased a different amp but am going to still purchase a ufo when my time comes. I’ve heard too many good things to let the opportunity pass by.

IP Logged
Dr3wman
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 10/27/22 at 01:32:06

I believe each page is 200 spots.

Torii MKV/25 mods
KLH Model 3 speakers..
Sonos connect.
  IP Logged
michaelG

Reply #5 - 10/27/22 at 02:41:06

I’m 64!
I received my zrock early a couple month ago now it look like the ufo will be here early 2023!

IP Logged
jec3504
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 10/27/22 at 04:10:21

Quote:
I am now in Quality Control

Congrats Dr3wman! It's worth the wait.

IP Logged
Dr3wman
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 10/27/22 at 05:04:06

Thank you! I’m pretty excited.

I’ve now started the insane process of looking for new speakers to go with it. Haha!!

Torii MKV/25 mods
KLH Model 3 speakers..
Sonos connect.
  IP Logged
Burgermeester
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 10/27/22 at 06:56:57

As Steve told the Audiophiliac, he's engaged in a hobby that pays the bills. It's a family operation, and ultimately it's Steve, period.

He's not running a manufacturing operation, aka a business. DW is a cottage operation. That's the DNA.

Very subtle but critical difference, and I gather Steve is comfortable with it. I don't think he sees any point in shouting it from the rooftops. The list is as you see it, from day to day. No doubling or tripling of output just because orders have tripled. That would be a business.

He's left enough hints around for people to "get" this, but for many the awakening takes a very long time.

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #9 - 10/27/22 at 17:41:09

aka a business...

I think what you're trying to point out is the difference between scalable mass production using circuit boards vs. hand point to point wiring.  Top Violin makers make each violin by hand.  They don't cast them out of plastic just to make more faster.  We are no different.

It's not a matter of being 'comfortable' with it, the way we do it is not scalable, so it is a matter of protecting our art.  At this point, the 10 people working here can easily run this business without me and often do.

Growing any larger than we are would punch our overhead through the roof and subsequent prices of our products which would put tremendous pressure on us to find ways to improve efficiency and lower costs.  Is that what you really want?  I doubt it.  ; )

It is too bad that there even is an 'awakening' because the boutique art that we build should be the reason they purchased in the first place.  

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
terlenka
Verified Member

Reply #10 - 10/28/22 at 00:20:40

I ordered a month or so before the OP. The wait list, as someone else mentioned, was a bit chaotic at the time. By February, it seems to have settled. In the first 8 months (early February to early October), I moved up 430 spots; just shy of 54 per month. From July 1 to October 1 I moved up 184 places, just over 60 per month. I don't know what's realistic going forward, but at least 50 per month on average seems a safe wager.

IP Logged
Burgermeester
Seasoned Member

Reply #11 - 10/28/22 at 07:38:11

Hey Steve,

Thanks for weighing in. I like to think my post was what you said, though less fleshed out, but directed (somewhat tongue in cheek) to those who compare DW to the way other manufactrurers operate, and slowly go mad from the wait. You should post a version of your comment above on the home page, it would help people understand.

For the sake of brevity I omitted my planned comparison of ordering from DW to getting a Japanese Living National Treasure tatooer to do a sleeve for you. When he's ready -- and who knows when that will be -- then you will be too, if you want what he can do. That's how this sort of thing works.

So I think we can agree that Antonio Stradivari wasn't running a business in the sense that most people think about businesses. He had to get paid for his work, but he wasn't "manufacturing."

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #12 - 10/28/22 at 15:13:15

Quote:
Posted by: Burgermeester

...So I think we can agree that Antonio Stradivari wasn't running a business in the sense that most people think about businesses....

Artisans and craftspeople are every bit in business, otherwise it would be a hobby. Just like e.g. doctors and lawyers and accountants. But it is a (very) different business than manufacturing and mass production. JMO.

[FOOBAR2000 | Jay's CDT2 MRK3] -> Denafrips Terminator 2 + Gaia
Sumiko Pearwood -> Mapleknoll Athena -> Luxman SUT -> Maple-tree Phono 3E
Woo WA22 -> 2x UFO25s, balanced monos
Omega SAM , Hifiman Arya, Senn HD-650
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print