Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/25/24 at 11:48:45 

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Dennis Had 300b Amp Review (Read 32393 times)
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Dennis Had 300b Amp Review
10/22/22 at 18:46:58

Dennis got his first well known YouTuber review—and that too on his 300b SET amp:

https://youtu.be/l-lRvZVyZ0o

Innuos Pulse-Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE R2R-Ic0n4 Autoformer Passive Pre-Sarah 300B SET Amp-ZBIT-Project Carbon Debut TT-Schiit Mani Phono-GIK Room Treatment-Caintuck Audio Magnum Baffles—Li Audio Fast 15 Drivers-P.I. Audio MajikBuss & Puritan PSM 156 Conditioners
  IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Re: Dennis Had 300b Amp Review
Reply #1 - 10/22/22 at 19:56:56

Cool. Looks like one is for sale on ebay for 4K$.

[FOOBAR2000 | Jay's CDT2 MRK3] -> Denafrips Terminator 2 + Gaia
Sumiko Pearwood -> Mapleknoll Athena -> Luxman SUT -> Maple-tree Phono 3E
Woo WA22 -> 2x UFO25s, balanced monos
Omega SAM , Hifiman Arya, Senn HD-650
  IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 10/22/22 at 20:15:06

Yea, the way it works it that you buy it and that begins the development process (it takes about 2 weeks) with pictures galore and he listens/burns it in for about 48 hours in his rig before shipping.  Once he’s done with the build/shipping, he will throw another listing on (but not necessarily the same amp type). He cycles between the 300b, the Firebottle KT-88 SEP (the one I have), and others.

Innuos Pulse-Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE R2R-Ic0n4 Autoformer Passive Pre-Sarah 300B SET Amp-ZBIT-Project Carbon Debut TT-Schiit Mani Phono-GIK Room Treatment-Caintuck Audio Magnum Baffles—Li Audio Fast 15 Drivers-P.I. Audio MajikBuss & Puritan PSM 156 Conditioners
  IP Logged
Kahuna Jack
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 10/22/22 at 20:42:51

@Kamran

do you feel your Firebottle is a keeper? even with the future addition of a Decware amplifier?

IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 10/22/22 at 22:20:16

Kahuna Jack

Sigh…it’s going to painful, but no.  I intend to sell it either to cover (partially) the cost of the Sarah or the acquisition of WE 300b tubes.  I rather it be someone’s main amp and get the love and attention it deserves.

IP Logged
tempest62
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 10/23/22 at 21:31:05

Kamran,

Thanks for sharing.

Interesting amp, but extra expensive due to the unnecessary shipment of WE 300B tubes with it.

I wonder if Mr. Had would ship without the 300B's?

Brad

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #6 - 10/23/22 at 21:58:50

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
kulafu
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 10/23/22 at 22:33:32

I bought a pair of used Cary Audio 300 SE Signature Monoblocks and they are keeper for me.  They pair very well with Randy's Caintuck Lii 15s and the Charneys.  With the Cryotone tubes  (full set) even better!  It is honestly outcompeting my UFO25th and that says a lot about them.
Bob

Omega SAMS,Altec 604 8K, Liionidas Silver 10/W-15,UFO25th/Cary SET Monos/Torii Jr,CSP3 25th Holo May KTE ,HQP/USB/Pulse/EtherRegen, Roon/Thorens 1600(Decware ICs, speaker wires/Equi=Core 1800, SFDBs and future STR-1002)
  IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 10/24/22 at 02:30:36

You’re welcome Brad. It’s hard to predict with Dennis, considering the one off (and one man) nature of Dennis’ work but I will try and contact him tomorrow to gauge whether he would be amenable to selling it without the tubes. I will also message one of his par-time techs who helps him occasionally to see what the deal is.

IP Logged
Kahuna Jack
Seasoned Member

Reply #9 - 10/24/22 at 18:03:18

If its looked at it with that angle ( without tubes) the amp seems fairly inexpensive.... $2500 ? Inexpensive in this world of boutique electronics that is.

IP Logged
lazb
Seasoned Member

Reply #10 - 10/24/22 at 18:19:46

inexpensive yes, especially in light of Steve's projected price of $5K for Sarah. No idea which tubes he intends to be stock.

IP Logged
Earthbound
Seasoned Member

Reply #11 - 10/24/22 at 20:29:29

I am on the waitlist and have been reading and following the Sarah development thread. As far as Decware products, I’ve been changing my mind between ZMA, MKv and 300b. I have also read a considerable amount on the Inspire Had amps. Doing that research turned me towards many brands and I decided to have an amp made by Aric Kimmel, the Custom 300b Set. If I enjoy this amp, it makes my Decware choice a bit easier!

IP Logged
Joey

Reply #12 - 10/24/22 at 22:21:20

I got the Aric 300b last April along with the WE tubes. I am very pleased with the sound. It's all I hoped it would be plus some.
I still have a se84ufo2 in a smaller room. Love em both.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #13 - 10/24/22 at 22:29:02

That Aric has a lot of power! More than 4 times in the balanced mode than Steve shot for with the Sarah!

The long wait is hard. . . but I'm going to keep waiting for the Decware 300B. I know Steve's is going to be different. . .and special.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Earthbound
Seasoned Member

Reply #14 - 10/24/22 at 23:46:26

My buddy is going for Sarah and he has an MK3. So, between those 2, my incoming Aric 300b and an order slated for next fall, I will have been able to listen to a few nice systems. Can’t wait to compare the 2 300’s. Fun times ahead!😀

IP Logged
Earthbound
Seasoned Member

Reply #15 - 10/24/22 at 23:52:07

Initially I missed your post Joey. That’s great to hear that you’re enjoying the Aric sound 300b. I too look forward to having both an Aric Audio and a Decware in the house!

IP Logged
Kahuna Jack
Seasoned Member

Reply #16 - 10/24/22 at 23:54:48

that Aric Kimmel amp.... a quad of 300b's + separate power supply ?? hard to imagine that NOT being a "game over" amp for even the pickiest listener.

just a few dreams away  8-)

IP Logged
Joey

Reply #17 - 10/25/22 at 01:34:34

My bad, I have the  super 300b set. Only 9 watts although with  Cornwalls, it's more than enough for my ears.

IP Logged
briand77
Verified Member

Reply #18 - 10/25/22 at 10:00:28

I've had trouble watching Steve Huff's audiophile channel ever since finding out about his main channel https://www.youtube.com/c/huffparanormal. Ouch, 1.7M subscribers ... funds his non-ethereal hobbies.

IP Logged
Earthbound
Seasoned Member

Reply #19 - 10/25/22 at 11:11:29

At first I thought you were kidding. I never heard of Steve Huff. The Steve Hoffman forums I’ve read. Obviously different. Ghosts and stereos! Perhaps that explains the unexplained sounds coming through the speakers sometimes!

IP Logged
LeftyEric
Verified Member

Reply #20 - 10/25/22 at 20:17:59

I had no idea about his paranormal youtube channel, and it's large following. Wow. That's a lot to take in.

Tekton Perfect SET, SE84UFO3 Monos (poly bypass mod), Denafrips Ares ii DAC, Parasound ZPhono XRM, Nagaoka MP-110 on UTurn.
  IP Logged
Earthbound
Seasoned Member

Reply #21 - 10/25/22 at 20:54:35

Between the tv series running for 15 years and this channel running for years with no confirmed visual recordings, you would think interest would wane. Instead, people are getting rich. Mind boggling

IP Logged
Kahuna Jack
Seasoned Member

Reply #22 - 10/25/22 at 22:20:17

ill stick with watching Ghost Whisperer reruns : )  seen every episode at least 7 + times ; )

IP Logged
Earthbound
Seasoned Member

Reply #23 - 10/25/22 at 22:54:26

IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #24 - 10/26/22 at 00:10:48

Wow, had no idea he was running a parallel paranormal YT channel.  You’d think it would pop up in my YT feed considering how regularly I watch his audio reviews.

In the meantime, I’ve also reached out to one of Dennis’ techs to find out about whether he would sell the amp without the WE tubes.

IP Logged
Kahuna Jack
Seasoned Member

Reply #25 - 10/26/22 at 20:43:46

looking at completed items on ebay it looks like they all sell ( in fact all of them sold) without any repeated re listings of unsolds. thats usually a good sign to start with.

I know he sells direct like Decware but its more evident these days how much brick n morter stores are missed where you can hear/touch/see for yourself before buying. Not that I need anymore temptation to stockpile gear lol

IP Logged
BlackBess
Seasoned Member

TURN IT DOWN,I have
children sleeping
here

Reply #26 - 10/29/22 at 05:13:05

Mr. Kamran, let me know when you get your Sarah & want to move on from the Firebottle KT-88. I’m sure a lot of people would like to give it a safe forever home.

Peace out, Ralph

KEF LS50 wireless 2 w/KC62 sub
Analog Ethos select series 2a3>Decware HDT-v2
Dennis Had Inspire 6FLV-v>Decware T6
Shanling STP10>Klipsh forté IV
Dennis Had 300PSE>Decware DNA 2
IPad mini>Audio Quest Dragonfly cobalt>Focal Clear
Willsenton R300>Bose 601-II
  IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #27 - 10/30/22 at 00:40:50

BlackBess…duly noted. I’ll try and reach out when the time comes.  And Mr. is too formal…Kamran is just fine  :)

Update from Dennis’ tech about whether he would consider selling the 300b amp without the tubes:

“Dennis says the 300b only is available with the tubes included. Understand he still, as far as I can tell, listens to every amp he sells. They only leave when he’s satisfied with the sound. He’s very quality conscious because in this business, your reputation is everything.”

There you have it…no go on that front.

IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #28 - 11/01/22 at 01:08:39

Hot on the heels of a favorable YT review, Dennis is experimenting with a 300b Parallel Single Ended amp with two WE 300b tubes per channel!  No pricing yet, but just the cost of tubes (without taking in to consideration the rectifier and driver tubes) is going to be $3K.

IP Logged
tempest62
Ex Member

Reply #29 - 11/01/22 at 16:00:32

Mr. Had is quite presumptuous with his demand that one succumbs to force to buying a WE pair of tubes @ $2, $3k or whatever when buying his amps.

Thankfully there is such thing as a secondary market.

I get the point, but forcing absurdity is absurd.

Steve also designed his 300B Sarah around the WE tube. But he doesn’t force one to buy them along with the amp. In fact he has been good enough to post his impressions on a variety of 300B tubes.

Brad

IP Logged
Kahuna Jack
Seasoned Member

Reply #30 - 11/01/22 at 18:39:35

I think in this hobby a form of mental conditioning is always active. In past I would never even consider spending $1500 for a duet of power tubes but giving it some thought.... if its the last pair of tubes I will ever need or want in my amp? It almost turns into a "bargain" and a miracle that the WE300b is even in current production at all.

If for some reason current WE300b production would cease ? can you imagine how crazy the secondary market price on them would get??

IP Logged
tempest62
Ex Member

Reply #31 - 11/01/22 at 20:23:55

Kahuna, I see what you’re saying and it kinda makes my point….shouldn’t it be up to the prospective customer to decide whether he wants to buy WE tubes with the amp?

I say yes…….and I say Mr. Had, while known for being nice, is being an asshole with a smile about forcing a very certain absurdly expensive tube down a buyer’s throat. Terrible.

It’s almost as if he demands the WE because it’s the only tube that allows his amp to sound great. It should sound really great whether it’s $3k WE tubes or pretty damned great with $300 tubes.

With him there is no choice. “My way or the highway” sucks whether it comes with a smile or not.

Brad

IP Logged
GroovySauce
Seasoned Member

Reply #32 - 11/02/22 at 12:58:02

There are trade offs to all the options.

No tubes included. Some people will be upset that they need to buy tubes separately. For Dennis, If someone buys some junk tubes that are noisy or bad then they are contacting him to get it fixed and going online to say how Dennis sold a faulty amp.

Sell with cheap tubes. Some people will complain that they are not going to use the supplied tubes because they want top of the line.

Sell with top of the line tubes. Some people will complain that they don't want to spend the money on the top of the line.

I would personally want option 1 with no tubes.

I don't fault Mr. Had for how he operates, If I was in his position I most likely would go the same route.

Maximus NEO TT|ViV Rigid Float TA | Phasemation PP-200 or Hana ML | Sutherland Little Loco MK2 | Innuos ZENith MK3 | LampizatOr GA TRP | EMIA Remote Autoformer | STL "Super Tube Rectifier" STR-1002 | SRA Cables | PAP Quintet 15 1.6 Voxativ |Torus AVR15
  IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #33 - 11/02/22 at 14:33:06

4000 bucks is a bargain for what would certainly be a "Stereophile Class A" amp. He could probably charge 5 times that and still have no problem selling out. JMO.

[FOOBAR2000 | Jay's CDT2 MRK3] -> Denafrips Terminator 2 + Gaia
Sumiko Pearwood -> Mapleknoll Athena -> Luxman SUT -> Maple-tree Phono 3E
Woo WA22 -> 2x UFO25s, balanced monos
Omega SAM , Hifiman Arya, Senn HD-650
  IP Logged
chapsjon
Seasoned Member

Reply #34 - 11/02/22 at 16:55:01

I have no skin in this game as with or without tubes, this amp and the Sarah are above my budget. Having said that, I agree that $4k with WE tubes sounds like a deal to me. In comparison, the Sarah with the same tubes would cost more than 1.5x as much. I am assuming there will be sonic and build differences between the two, but both will be hand built, point by point, etc….

I can certainly understand wanting to save the money on the tubes as a consumer, but I also understand DH’s priority of making sure customers are satisfied with the final product. His complete price seems in line with other manufacturers that include lesser tubes, which benefits the customer. If I were in the market for a 300b amp, this would almost certainly be the one.

LR:Mini Torii+Wright WPP100 phono, CSP2+SE84UFO, Pioneer Exclusive M4, Accuphase E-303,Graham Slee Jazz Club, Technics SL-1200MK3D Grace F-8 & Nagaoka MP-110, Yamaha NS-1000M, KEF Reference 101, Sony SS-5050
BR: SE84C+, ZP1 phono, Decware 945
JVC QL-7 Shure V15
  IP Logged
Showme
Seasoned Member

Reply #35 - 11/02/22 at 17:14:56

To buy a Dennis Had amp do you just have to keep watching eBay?

IP Logged
tempest62
Ex Member

Reply #36 - 11/02/22 at 18:22:47

Quote:
buy a Dennis Had amp do you just have to keep watching eBay?

Yes it looks like that’s his portal for new sales.

I would keep an eye on the used market, HiFishark.com is a good tool for that purpose.

Brad

IP Logged
Kahuna Jack
Seasoned Member

Reply #37 - 11/02/22 at 20:05:44

if he is using ebay(curious choice) as a main sales hub that means he has also factored in a percentage loss with ebay fees into to total cost on amp build.

micro analyzing of course, but if he sold direct his amplifiers would be an even greater bargain but maybe by using ebay it just frees up his time a bit so he isnt on the phone all day taking orders , talking to people about potential orders etc etc. that kind of stuff can chew up a big chunk of ones day that he could be using building amps

IP Logged
Showme
Seasoned Member

Reply #38 - 11/02/22 at 20:47:53

I haven’t used HiFiShark before but I’ll keep my eyes on it. Thanks.

IP Logged
chapsjon
Seasoned Member

Reply #39 - 11/02/22 at 22:42:43

Maybe something has changed as I haven’t looked lately, but Alan Eaton also uses EBay to sell his hand made tube amps. May be a case of maximizing publicity and ease of point of sales with a small amount of input. Artisans that take direct orders or sales have to divert time from making product, so maybe for really small scale businesses EBay makes sense.

LR:Mini Torii+Wright WPP100 phono, CSP2+SE84UFO, Pioneer Exclusive M4, Accuphase E-303,Graham Slee Jazz Club, Technics SL-1200MK3D Grace F-8 & Nagaoka MP-110, Yamaha NS-1000M, KEF Reference 101, Sony SS-5050
BR: SE84C+, ZP1 phono, Decware 945
JVC QL-7 Shure V15
  IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #40 - 11/03/22 at 01:37:44

In an ideal world, there is an option to purchase that amp with or without tubes.  However, it doesn’t always work that way in reality.  Dennis, unlike Decware, is the show of a one man army, retired, and does this on his terms.  With over three decades of experience building amps (estimating here), he has his preferences and given his lack of resources, his limitations.  Bundling the amp with tubes that he loves, is his business decision.  Some people will find that compelling and their dollars will validate his call.  In case his decision is met with subdued interest, I reckon he will just decide to stick with amps that have good market acceptance and price to performance ratio.  My 2 cents.

There was a question about his listing regimen.  Yes, he only sells through eBay since he doesn’t have the time or resources to manage a website. He was trying to do something on AudioAficianado, but note sure how well that was received.  His call sign on eBay is radioman731.  You can either setup an alert on eBay or use a third party site such as www.automatedsearches.com to setup an alert (the latter I hear is more useful, though I haven’t used it personally).  

Hope this helps.

IP Logged
johnnycopy
Seasoned Member

Reply #41 - 11/03/22 at 05:18:23

I purchased a firebottle kt88 from Dennis in his early days with the new company. He was generous with his time to me via email.

I ran a number of different output tubes but settled on the kt-150s.

IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #42 - 11/05/22 at 23:15:38

Ok—-Dennis and his friends had an amp shootout with this new 300B PSE.  11 of Dennis’ various amps including his regular 300b. Speakers were OB, but not using Lii Audio drivers from what I can tell. The 300b PSE was the star of the show.  Another surprise was the reveal of his most inexpensive amp (that wasn’t on my radar).  According to his tech, the PSE just blew away every other amp Dennis has built to date.  Here’s a telling quote:

——————————————————————————————————————-
Dennis says this amp is the best one ever to play in the shop, and I'd have to agree with him. It literally blew everything else away. In it's current configuration it's putting out somewhere around 12 WPC. However, that number can't convey the incredible deep bass, the rich tones, and the sweet syrupy highs. The old dogma is that triodes are great for jazz, female vocals, etc, but don't have the oomph to handle rock and roll.

WRONG....

The amount of bass coming out of this amp and the Inspire speakers is nothing short of amazing. Typically they have not been as dynamic as the big shop prototypes, but with the extras power and dynamic range of the 300B PSE, they really open up and come alive. What's really amazing is that all that bass is coming from an open baffle design. We will be continuing to make the Inspire speakers as a custom order, and we be able to ship them in the near future.

Also spotted for the first time was the Kleen Sweep amp, 6-7 WPC of inexpensive Inspire power. This is a very...ahem...clean listenable amp with a bright upper end. Dennis is going to offer this one as his affordable, entry level offering into the Inspire line.

Dennis will be asking a mere $1500 for this one

————————————————————————————————————-

And yes, the price of the 300b PSE was also revealed.  Wait for it…. $8500

[url] Untitled by analog addict, on Flickr[/url]

IP Logged
Kahuna Jack
Seasoned Member

Reply #43 - 11/06/22 at 00:07:27

pretty sure that amp sounds amazing and then some, lucky folks that got to hear it in person.

i will add my own personal thought that at $8500.00 Id like to see some final finishing touches like Airtight, Luxman etc. You know, nice tranny covers, attention to knobs, switches etc. I do fancy the diy vibe on gear but when dropping that kind of coin.........

would still love to hear it

IP Logged
BlackBess
Seasoned Member

TURN IT DOWN,I have
children sleeping
here

Reply #44 - 11/06/22 at 03:29:30

Knowing what a Dennis Had Inspire amp sounds like. And how a 300B tube amp sounds, let alone one with 4 WE300Bs. Makes me want to see if I can get one before the estimated 3 year wait on the Sarah.

Peace out, Ralph

IP Logged
Joey

Reply #45 - 11/06/22 at 04:20:25

Seems like a very fair price considering $3000 for the WE's.

IP Logged
BlackBess
Seasoned Member

TURN IT DOWN,I have
children sleeping
here

Reply #46 - 11/11/22 at 18:13:14

I have been messaging Dennis the past few days & this morning he told me he put up an add for me on eBay. I did the search for the add but was too late I guess. Did someone on here jump on it before me even though Dennis gave me a heads up? Dennis replied “Heavens I think so, I’ll do another build for you, give me a half hour to post it up. Needless to say the estimated arrival date is 1-18-22. That’s a bit different than my wait for a Sarah. When my wife asks about the Decware 300B amp, I tell her “it’s an abstract concept involving uncertainty & the future.” Anyway, in a few months I’ll post my thoughts on the Inspire 300PSE.

In the meantime, give that boy a 6 string steel guitar, Ralph

IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #47 - 11/11/22 at 19:38:55

Fantastic news Ralph—congrats on successfully ordering the 300 PSE!! Maybe I should give Dennis a call and ask for a finders fee…lol!

We collectively look forward to your impressions once you get it in January.  Dennis’ typical build to ship time is two weeks  (or less) for the Firebottle, so I wonder how many orders he has in the pipeline ahead of you.  Even if we give him the last half of Dec off for vacay, that makes at least two builds before your promised ship date.

IP Logged
tempest62
Ex Member

Reply #48 - 11/11/22 at 20:18:52

+1 here with Kamran!

Really looking forward to your experiences with your new 300B  👍💥💥👍
Congratulations, Ralph!

Brad

IP Logged
BlackBess
Seasoned Member

TURN IT DOWN,I have
children sleeping
here

Reply #49 - 11/11/22 at 21:41:14

Mr. Kamran: Sir your instructions on how to contact Mr. Had is all it took. When I first talked to Dennis he told me that he would build 2 before years end. Last night he told me “ Tomorrow at mid morning I will contact you when I post up your amp. Just click buy now, & I’ll take care of the rest.”
All morning I was prematurely searching Dennis Had on eBay. Finally Mr. Had contacts me & says your good to go. Yahoo, I search Dennis Had again repeatedly for a few minutes. I get pictures of horses. Did someone with a nitro burning, supercharged search engine beat me to it? “ Heavens, it seems so” was Dennis’ reply. But he had 2 chassis ready for machining prior to powder coating & assembly. So another tragedy narrowly adverted. I would think he will be building some of the new “Clean Sweeps” also along with all the other amps he produces.

I got it bad, I got it bad, I got it bad, Ralph

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print