Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/24/24 at 17:35:25 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Decware’s ZenFest 2022 Takeaways (Read 4154 times)
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Decware’s ZenFest 2022 Takeaways
10/10/22 at 16:00:35

A total time warp! I jumped in the car 3am Friday morning with great anticipation that made the 9 hour drive pass easily. Pulling up to Steve’s residence there was construction tape lined partitions giving an idea of where to park in grassy areas of his property. The air was peaceful with no hint of what type of construction might be going on, although we all know better. I parked in a spot near the main road towards the end of the driveway that leads to Decware’s cottage business building just at the back of his home. Walking up the driveway passing all the other attendees parked cars a small shed stood on the left that housed Randy’s Betsy offerings. I headed towards two young girls sitting under a dining fly positioned in front of the cottage and recognized one as being Sarah. At that point, muffled music could be heard.
Sarah directed us(Kamran and I met earlier for lunch and coffee before arrival at Steve’s) to the entrance door on the left. We signed in and prepared a Decware lanyard tag holder. Passing trough a second door, it was noticed that the listening room was a lot smaller as viewed from the opening in the hallway that appears on the web site. Music was playing, people were talking. Music playing people talking…on and on; on and on… A few warped minutes later I was heading home with wonderful recollections of the many interactions that touched the senses in the 36 hours spent at the ZenFest making the drive just as easy going home.

The F15s in the large baffles wired by a flat braided cable to the Sarah being fed by a stock CXN unbalanced signal simply filled the air with unmistakably engaging music even with a room full of people. This is confirmation of the power of the combo! I always thought the F15 large was a great speaker. It surely did not disappoint in my first audition!

I listened to the F15s in the medium baffles with the 25th amp/pre combo and found it a bit sterile for my tastes. The DNA 2s sound is comparable to the F15Ms. The DNA originals did not impress as a speaker that would work, as well as the Tube Tots for me. The HDT silvers sounded edgy at times. Probably because there are only about 20 hours of use on those.

T6s with the Sarah was the show stopper! It was hard to believe the amount of great sounding energy coming out of those stand mounted monitors! Rumor is an order of 30 sets just arrived but needed to be QAed before selling. Good thing because I most likely would have left with a pair.

Camping out Friday night was wonderful listening to the crackling bond fire and conversations as sleep overcame. Waking up at one point later to howls of coyotes who might have found their meal along the lake added to the night wonder. Camping in the yard also gave me the advantage of listening to various combos uninterrupted without distractions for 2 hours before the first early riser came  in the room. Luring, teasing and feeding the neighbors horse Saturday with carrots while Devon and grandkids fed the goats was a treat for me!

I had many conversations that not only help create the time warp but fostered some great thought provoking ideas. The Deckerts are truly down to earth folks that made me feel at home. Looking forward to next years gathering and planning possibly to make another visit sometime before to listen more to HDTs, DNA2s, T6s, and Sarah.

Thanks to all the Deckerts & Company!

AMC CD8b>XO3>Cambridge CXN2>ZDAC>ZBOX>braided silver/occ> Zrock2>CSP2+>SE84 milflex copper 25th>9AWG silver/copper braid>lii Crystal 10 in Huijgen cabinets. Ortofon 2M Black>JVC QL-F4/Otari MX5050B2>ZP3. Isolation. AC filtering. Room treatment.
  IP Logged
tempest62
Ex Member

Re: Decware’s ZenFest 2022 Takeaways
Reply #1 - 10/10/22 at 16:49:48

John, as even a mere participant thru the camera in the room, I most definitely agree! The Sarah 300B sounded absolutely fantastic no matter what. The big OB’s had a great tone and timbre. The T6’s dropped my jaw as well — and when I heard Sara Bareilles / Live at Atlanta sing Goodbye Yellow Brick Road it was utterly captivating. Wasn’t smitten with the SE84UFO combo either…..thin and lacking steam and body. Listened in to many conversations and enjoyed them.

I understand that some 50 or so folks were there and it was like a family reunion atmosphere. What great thing for Steve to do by annual invite to his own home! Now what mad scientist actually does that???

That 300B with WE and Cryotone tubes is definitely a winner. With the T6’s it would make an absolutely stunning top rate compact 2nd system. As a matter of fact I fancy the idea of replacing my 2nd system of a Line Magnetic 34ia & Nola Boxer II combo with those two some day.

Brad

IP Logged
jec3504
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 10/10/22 at 17:06:57

Had people over Friday. The Decfest ended up on the big screen. Two new fans of Decware wanted to drive there Saturday morning lol. Agree the 300B was sounding fantastic. Put me in a great mood all weekend.

IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 10/10/22 at 20:14:54

Brad,
Don Thomas just cryoed the whole SE84UFO25 amp that was being used at the ZenFest. It was fed by the CSP325 hooked to the HOLO MAY DAC via CXN coax digital out. It might have been lacking good synergy or needed some time to break in properly.

Sarah 300b was getting it's unbalanced analog signal from another stock CXN. Not sure how that streamer was being fed.

AMC CD8b>XO3>Cambridge CXN2>ZDAC>ZBOX>braided silver/occ> Zrock2>CSP2+>SE84 milflex copper 25th>9AWG silver/copper braid>lii Crystal 10 in Huijgen cabinets. Ortofon 2M Black>JVC QL-F4/Otari MX5050B2>ZP3. Isolation. AC filtering. Room treatment.
  IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 10/10/22 at 21:37:50

Great, first John beat me to our meet-up point in Peoria and now has beaten me to the takeaways post (though I was cheating a bit and posting some updates in the Decfest Ritual thread).  Currently sitting at O’Hare waiting for flight back home, which boards in 20 minutes, so stay tuned for a follow-up post, as I don’t have the time to do it justice right now.

Innuos Pulse-Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE R2R-Ic0n4 Autoformer Passive Pre-Sarah 300B SET Amp-ZBIT-Project Carbon Debut TT-Schiit Mani Phono-GIK Room Treatment-Caintuck Audio Magnum Baffles—Li Audio Fast 15 Drivers-P.I. Audio MajikBuss & Puritan PSM 156 Conditioners
  IP Logged
Mannytheseacow
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 10/10/22 at 22:25:36

I’m curious to hear about everyone at Decfest with access to Don tell about their impressions of the Wathan tubes. Especially those that have been adamant about the impossibility of cryo treatment working on a vacuum tube.

IP Logged
tempest62
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 10/10/22 at 22:45:02

Formal education in engineering (and many other subjects) can sometimes create a narrow tunneled mind.

IP Logged
tempest62
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 10/10/22 at 23:57:18

Quote:
Don Thomas just cryoed the whole SE84UFO25 amp that was being used at the ZenFest. It was fed by the CSP325 hooked to the HOLO MAY DAC via CXN coax digital out. It might have been lacking good synergy or needed some time to break in properly.

Sarah 300b was getting it's unbalanced analog signal from another stock CXN. Not sure how that streamer was being fed.

I see. Thanks for that info. I’ll chalk it up to lack of burn in for the tubes. Though I’m surprised Don didn’t do that up front before arriving. The Sarah didn’t seem to suffer at all, the SE84UFO I suppose doesn’t havd room at the margins on a couple levels to begin with.

IP Logged
Tony
Seasoned Member

"Life without
..music is
inconceivable"
A.Einsteln

Reply #8 - 10/11/22 at 00:08:46

Manny...

It has taken a while, but the SE84UFO is now all Wathan, and the Torii is 8 of 12 Wathan.  I am delighted with the tubes.  Coming at it piecemeal, it is harder to say if the last tube added as much as the first one, but I would not change anything.  Sometimes, I will roll out the Wathen tubes for the prior ones to compare. When I return to the Wathen tubes, it consistently sounds better to my ear, and the alternative tubes did not sound bad.  

Others have said, and I agree, that tube life will be an essential assessment measure.  The overall sound quality in both amps is excellent.

SE84UFO25 | Ic0n4 Passive Preamp | ZBIT | Cambr. CXNv2 | Denafrips Pontus II | Denafrips Gaia | Decware I/Cs | Decware Pwr Cbls | ZWIRE Speaker Cbls | Omega SAHOM & KEF KC62 | Furman Cond l GIK Room Trmt
  IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #9 - 10/11/22 at 00:34:13

Don removed the wood base and without the tubes used his cryogenic process on the whole amp! He said the cost would be around $150 for anyone that wants to send their amp in.

IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #10 - 10/11/22 at 04:38:30

So I finally sit in my own rig, wearing Don’s Cryotone tee with a badge of honor (thank you Don!) and trying to figure out how to make sense of the past two days and moreover, how to capture it in words.  

The Approach and the Entry:

I may have been the only dude who flew in (I think).  Met up with John at the hotel and after a hurried lunch at Chef Moussa and a pour over at the excellent 3030 cafe, we made our big entry to Decfest, which included me parking in Steve’s driveway and then realizing there was other parking available for attendees (oops).  Hurriedly filled up our name card lanyards and entered the lions den!  As I entered the listening room, my first impression was that wow, it looks smaller compared to the pictures and YouTube videos!  Sarah was hooked up to the house speakers and here the impression was the complete opposite.  I was like wow, these speakers look ginormous compared to the pictures and Youtube videos!

After mentally digesting the differences in size of the room vs. speakers, John and I listened to a few tracks, and I started to question my sanity since the polarity of the speakers seemed to be reversed.  Was I the one hearing it wrong (reversed) the whole time in my rig or were the house speaker wires not hooked up to the right channels? I eventually voiced my concern and to my relief, John and other people also agreed it was off.  Informed Steve and he was quick to thank us and switched the cables.  Sanity restored.  

The Deckert Fam:

Meeting Steve was a dream come true.  He was welcoming, always available to answer questions, without resorting to salesmanship.  He let his gear do the selling and I really appreciated that.  Hung out with Sarah around the fire-pit and we chatted about our kids.  She also made sure to hand me my new Decware speaker cables that I had them hold for me.  Devon made sure all of us were taken care of and had set up a tent with food and multiple coolers filled with bottomless drinks.  The Pizza on the second night was out of this world, not that I want to take anything away from the hot dogs and chili on the first day!  The snack bar was always full of yummy things to munch on.  The level of care the Deckert’s took to ensure we were always looked after didn’t go unnoticed. Thank you for being such gracious hosts!

The People:

This is such a lonely hobby.  After two years of conversing in various online forums (which frankly, can be dicey at times), it was such a welcome change to interact with people one on one, who are fellow travelers of the same rabbit hole.  The conversations we had were enlightening, educational, and beneficial.  I can’t recall all of the names/monikers, but thank you Eric, Dan, Don, Tom, Ryan, and Nigel for your feedback. I learned a lot from each of you and hopefully, added some meaningful experiences of my own to the mix.  A special shout out to Randy who worked tirelessly both days to accommodate listeners in the shed and move around his gear so attendees could listen to different drivers. I certainly made him get up a few times and change stuff around and he was always happy to oblige.  Overall though, every single person was amazing.  I frankly didn’t know what to expect being a rookie in a sea of people who have been at this for a long time.  The kindness, attention, and warmth I received, rocked me on my heels.  The Sunday breakfast with all of you was the icing on the proverbial cake.

Sarah (The Amp)

Came away with my heart pounding, goosebumps, and a realization that I need to save up way more in the intervening months before my turn is up.  It felt simultaneously intimate and bombastic (in a good way) with appreciably blacker backgrounds, allowing micro details to emerge, without sounding too analytical/dry.  The resolution was something to behold—the words palpable and captivating come to mind.  The dynamic range was superb and never fatiguing (but I guess none of Steve’s amps are fatiguing).  It paired well with both the Open Baffles and the Decware’s new bookshelf speaker (T6).  The latter blindsided everyone on the second day.  (More of this in the speaker section).  I liked it with both the WE and Cryotone 300b tubes.

All the rest: I listened to the original SE84UFO, the 25th anniversary edition with the accompanying pre, the Rachel, the ZMA and the Torii Mono’s. While there is/was no bad amp in the mix, I just longed to listen to the Sarah when it was not on.

Speakers:

Open Baffle—It was my first time listening to an Open Baffle with the uber popular F-15 Driver.

It was love at first listen…

After considering both the Zen Masters and Randy’s baffles, I ordered the Magnum baffles from Randy and plan to order the drivers soon.  Although they are tinier then I would have preferred, I figured it would be a good way to test OB in my rig and decide whether I want to go bigger.

The House Speakers—Initially, I wasn’t impressed, but they definitely grew on me, sounding tight and precise, especially paired with the Torii Mono’s.  

Steve’s new T6 Bookshelf—We all expected Sarah and Open Baffles to sound good, but no one saw this coming.  The performance of this new bookshelf that Steve has developed (and apparently not even QC’d yet?) was mind boggling. From top to bottom, the sonic output of these speakers belied it’s size. If I was in to bookshelf speakers, I wouldn’t look any further. Perhaps for a second system some day….

The Music:

It was also a very good opportunity to hear other musical tastes and I bookmarked several different tracks and artists who I intend to explore further now that I am back home. That said, I’d request Steve to think about providing a tablet with Roon on it so anyone evaluating multiple tracks can do so without getting up and leaving the room to set or request the next track on the iMac in the workshop.  That was a bit jarring, though a huge nod of thanks to the various DJ’s who had our backs during the listening sessions—you know who you are.

All in all, a memorable experience.  I long to return.

Innuos Pulse-Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE R2R-Ic0n4 Autoformer Passive Pre-Sarah 300B SET Amp-ZBIT-Project Carbon Debut TT-Schiit Mani Phono-GIK Room Treatment-Caintuck Audio Magnum Baffles—Li Audio Fast 15 Drivers-P.I. Audio MajikBuss & Puritan PSM 156 Conditioners
  IP Logged
Tony
Seasoned Member

"Life without
..music is
inconceivable"
A.Einsteln

Reply #11 - 10/11/22 at 05:58:36

Kamran,

Thanks for your wonderfully descriptive narrative of Defest.  I know some of the folks you mentioned either by voice or text, but you brought them to life. I  resonated with your comment that it is a lonely hobby at times, certainly solitary comes to mind. There you were with like-minded people who share a passion and language for what can be so hard to describe. What fun,

Thanks for taking the time to report on this event.
Tony

SE84UFO25 | Ic0n4 Passive Preamp | ZBIT | Cambr. CXNv2 | Denafrips Pontus II | Denafrips Gaia | Decware I/Cs | Decware Pwr Cbls | ZWIRE Speaker Cbls | Omega SAHOM & KEF KC62 | Furman Cond l GIK Room Trmt
  IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #12 - 10/11/22 at 09:41:00

Kamran,
I was torn Sunday morning between a start home and attending breakfast. The early start got me home just before dark. Good to see you made it home in good time. This past trip just about wrecked my ambition to get ready for a family event this coming weekend!
Cheers!
John

IP Logged
HockessinKid
Seasoned Member

Reply #13 - 10/11/22 at 11:44:01

Kamran,

Thanks for sharing your Decfest impressions and listening experience. Getting together with audio friends and experiencing the incredible hospitality of the Deckert family is truly special. I hope everyone had a great time.

HK

Nottingham Interspace TT w/ Audio Technica AT-OC9XML cart + Modwright PH 9.0XT phono OR Modwright modded Cambridge CNX V2 > CSP3-25th Ann. preamp > ZMA-25th Ann. amp > PI Audio UberBUSS > Caintuck Audio Lii15 Magnum speakers > Snake River Audio & ZenWave cables
  IP Logged
MikeinMontana
Seasoned Member

Reply #14 - 10/11/22 at 15:37:26

Kamran, we are brand new, well, when our amp arrives that is Smiley Your take on this was just awesome. Kathy and I would have loved to have made this, but 'things'.. Thanks for writing such an informed,detailed and thoughtful review. Obviously wonderful folks and we are so happy to have purchased from them. It'll be a bit still, but can't wait~  Take care and thanks again!  [smiley=icqlite20.png] Smiley Mike

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #15 - 10/11/22 at 16:09:29

It was so nice to meet all of you "New Folks" and to get to see all of the familiar faces once again.

I didn't know how to take the comments from several different people asking me if I was "The Donnie", other than to say that I indeed, was Donnie.

A legend in my own mind!

I want to echo everyone's comments about how nice of a event the Decware "Organization" puts on.
I can't imagine the planning that goes into a event like this. They make it look so effortless and seamlessly put it on.

Thanks to everyone, and I can't wait to see you all again next year.

Owner of the infamous RED TORII and Dan the Redheaded Amp
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #16 - 10/11/22 at 21:57:35

I was hoping "The Donnie" would be there Saturday so I could say some political stuff and see if he tossed me.

I wrote up my Decfest review, but lost it when my internet went down.  Everything I had written is covered above so I won't try to re-write.

In summary - Sarah very good.  T6 exceptionl value.  Sorry I missed the cryo tube demo but it sounds like they are good too.

i7 Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana 3.5, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, DIY Big Betsy and Crystal 10 Open Baffle Speakers
  IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #17 - 10/11/22 at 22:40:54

I had every intention of being there Saturday but I got called home by a wife who hurt her back and needed me there!

If I didn't have over 35 years invested in her I would have said "Tough it out"!

I talk tough where she can't hear me!

Owner of the infamous RED TORII and Dan the Redheaded Amp
  IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #18 - 10/11/22 at 23:07:30

In the wee hours of Saturday one of the residents's critics jump in my lap and paid some serious attention to the Dead Can Dance, "Into the Labyranth" album. The ears tell it all!

https://youtu.be/0w-VBmSbapk

Don Thomas put the last Cryo tube, rectifier, in the Sarah early Friday. It had a full compliment of cryo tubes for the remainder of Zenfest. Well at least until 1am Sunday when I left. AFAIK

IP Logged
fridays
Verified Member

Reply #19 - 10/12/22 at 17:10:16

I don’t see the at T6 speaker on the website, are they not ready for prime time
Thanks

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #20 - 10/12/22 at 17:55:44

Steve just said he needed to do QA on them before he began selling them.

i7 Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana 3.5, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, DIY Big Betsy and Crystal 10 Open Baffle Speakers
  IP Logged
fridays
Verified Member

Reply #21 - 10/12/22 at 19:02:42

Ok thanks we’re they are lot different better than the tiny tots?

IP Logged
fridays
Verified Member

Reply #22 - 10/12/22 at 19:05:53

Ooops I mean Tube Tots

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #23 - 10/12/22 at 19:54:06

I only spent a brief moment listening to the tube tots but I did like the T6 better.

IP Logged
tempest62
Ex Member

Reply #24 - 10/12/22 at 21:24:51

Palomino, how was the low and mid bass with the T6’s?

Being single drivers in a small cabinet, I wouldn’t expect much. Perhaps Steve did some things in the design of the cabinet that belies the physics.

When I heard Sara Bareilles sing Beyond The Yellow Brick Road, I about shit myself. But vocals, non-bass oriented, and non-complex music is what single drivers excel at.

Brad

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #25 - 10/12/22 at 21:52:57

I was pretty surprised with the highs and the lows for such a small cabinet and a single driver.  I did wonder how much of the bottom end of the speaker to attribute to Sarah.  That amp just has a lot of guts for 4 watts.

I found myself thinking I should buy this speaker for my second system where WAF is higher.

IP Logged
DLM
Verified Member

Reply #26 - 10/12/22 at 22:37:58

Did any of the ZenFest attendees who were on the fence about changing their Torii Mk 5 orders to a Sarah300B get a chance to compare the two and walk away with a decision ?  
I'd be very interested in your thoughts and plan.
Thanks,

IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #27 - 10/12/22 at 23:49:41

Brad: Speaking with Steve on the T6, he said it uses a super secret proprietary magic that no one else is using.  I don’t doubt that.  The proof was in the pudding, with everyone’s respective jaws on the floor that night.

Tom: I was also thinking about Sarah’s influence on the T6, and while I am sure it has something to do with it, the T6 first got attention paired with another amplifier. Not sure whether it was the 25th or ZMA or Rachel—each of which made its round on that side of the room.  The talk about that successful pairing elicited a unanimous desire to move the T6 to the other side of the room and pair it with Sarah, where it continued to shine.

IP Logged
Joey

Reply #28 - 10/13/22 at 02:39:22

"super secret proprietary magic", I'm gonna have to steal that one.

IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #29 - 10/13/22 at 16:13:05

Quote:
Speaking with Steve on the T6, he said it uses a super secret proprietary magic that no one else is using.  I don’t doubt that.

I overheard that conversation and got a chuckle over it. As we all know, magic is deception in the universe of physics. Steve is privy, at the moment, of T6 speaker design and probably did not want to get into many details at the ZenFest.

I was not present when Sara Bareilles "Beyond The Yellow Brick Road" played but entered the room as the crowd was clamoring about Sara's track that just finished. Asking what the commotion was all about it was pointed out that the T6's positioned inter center next to the house speakers are amazing. The following tracks played confirmed what was being said. It seemed that the sound coming out of the T6s was approaching the richness of the ZF15Ls. How could this be? A small stand mounted monitor size speaker placed far from a back wall producing powerful bass?

Looking at the driver of the T6 it's cone is reinforced with a couple of ribs in an arced fashion. Is this a high excursion woofer? The center is a metal dome with odd shaped thru holes in the surface. Is this a wave guide extending thru the voice coil/motor?

The T6s were positioned close to each other. It took about the same position as the Tube Tots in the picture below when the Sarah was deployed. Did this help reinforce the strong bass as we all heard? How did the ZF15 baffles play in all of this? As a side note when listening to the ZF15s, positioning created a hole in the middle of the sound stage that was hard to overcome even with the chair placed as far back as possible. Position can make or break a listening experience. Prime location is impossible to obtain at the ZenFest. This is one of the reasons Steve can pull this event off without chaos while giving everyone a chance to get a taste of their choosing.

I did not get a chance to listen in the sweet spot with the T6s. Most likely would have tried if a set could have been loaded in my trunk!

John

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #30 - 10/13/22 at 16:39:02

I thought placing the T6 to the inside hurt soundstage quite a bit, but yes, it could have increased the bass.

The T6 looked like it had a short whizzer cone and there was a round, holey, metal dispersion "plug" of which I hadn't seen before.

I do kind of miss the old days where you brought in your own music (and even gear), and amps came in an out as did speakers, but I get why Steve went to the fixed or semi-fixed speaker placement.  I'd second the suggestion for the tablet.

IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #31 - 10/14/22 at 01:30:47

Quote:
The T6 looked like it had a short whizzer cone and there was a round, holey, metal dispersion "plug" of which I hadn't seen before.

I do kind of miss the old days where you brought in your own music (and even gear), and amps came in an out as did speakers, but I get why Steve went to the fixed or semi-fixed speaker placement.  I'd second the suggestion for the tablet.

Should have taken a picture of that T6 driver. Could not remember if there was a whizzer cone.

There was some of that old day action when someone brought in a refurbished CD player. There was another that brought a collection of vinyl. Also a set of ZKIT60 amps. Not really sure of the outcome but none grabbed my attention.

I told Steve of my early Saturday plans before sunrise of rolling into his room after caching some sleep Friday night asking what and what not to do. He showed me how to run the computer and what amp connections could be changed. He also requested that if I moved any speakers to place them back in their original positions when finished.  

Doubtful Steve will migrate to a tablet doing DJ chores. After all we're talking about a guy who shot a tablet and as an afterthought, if the urge arises again, will dangle the tablet above a PC as it is being shot as a precursor to what will be waiting for the PC if it crashes at the wrong time. I truly have empathy with this! My wife thought my sanity was in question when an ink jet printer was tossed on the front concrete sidewalk after it unsuccessfully tried to clean its nozzles wasting ink just one too many times...oh yeah it was picked up several times and met that concrete again.

IP Logged
tempest62
Ex Member

Reply #32 - 10/14/22 at 01:46:42

IP Logged
Brian
Seasoned Member

Reply #33 - 10/15/22 at 04:02:02

Congratulations to the Deckert family on another great festival!

Brian

IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #34 - 10/27/22 at 14:09:05

It been almost 3 weeks since heading out to this years Decfest. I can honestly say that the Decware system in my room comes very...very close to what was heard at the fest. The ZF15L produces stronger bass, detail is a tad clearer, and has higher SPL levels. The 10" Crystals at home provide the same pinpoint accuracy and depth of stage Smiley

Working on improving with better speaker wire, internal wiring,
and interconnects. Replacement of caps in the DAC will help with 120hz buss that is more noticeable with the Zrock2 initiated Smiley

John

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #35 - 11/04/22 at 20:56:52

This year I am slowly reviewing footage from the live feed to make speaker/amp demo videos and I've seen about half of it so far, enough to know that many people who came got to hear "my" sound, the way I like it.  That was very satisfying.  Thank-you!

On another note, with regards to the master tapes that I spun during the fest, I think there were three reels total, I discovered today when needing to use the tape machine, that I had the head switch set to four track instead of two track.  It will still play a tape that way, but the results are highly compromised.  Sorry about that.  It explains why I had such a channel imbalance and why it sounded off compared to normal.

If you go to our Youtube page or to the live feed page on our site, you can see some of the listening highlights of the fest.

https://www.decwareproducts.com/livestream

Thank you to everyone who attended, our Decware family grows a little bigger every year and we are grateful!

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #36 - 11/04/22 at 20:58:34

I will take the tablet suggestion to heart : )

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #37 - 11/04/22 at 22:26:55

Thank you for being such great hosts!

Didn’t want to impose regarding the tablet, but I think it will really help people in the room take more control over their listening sessions vs. having someone DJ for them or stepping outside to change tracks. Plus Roon has such a great interface that it will expose the user to the artist bio and other works etc so adding to the whole music discovery aspect.

Lastly, thank you for making me a YouTube star! I keep showing my kids all the different clips that I’m in!

IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #38 - 11/05/22 at 10:42:16

Shoot, I did listen to the T6s in the sweet spot! Well, the music was not really my preference and unfamiliar. Glad to see your thinking of a tablet for use in the sweet spot. It will give the listener a chance to hear what music they are accustomed. Ultimately, music control gives better judgement and evaluation of the equipment on a personal level. Hopefully the tablet behaves Smiley

Cheers!

John

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print