Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/27/24 at 00:02:02 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
My high end audio experience (Read 1216 times)
Dr3wman
Seasoned Member

My high end audio experience
10/04/22 at 17:35:29

Over the weekend I had an opportunity at a local hi-fi store to hear Richard Vandersteen give a talk on speaker design and his audio philosophy which was truly fascinating, and I could have listened to him for hours.

At the end of the presentation was a demonstration of his latest Kento Carbon floor standing speakers which run $42,000 per pair.

They were powered by a pair of Vandersteen M5-HPA high pass mono blocks at $17,000/pair.

The source was a dCS Dac ( can't remember which one, but it was at least $20,000) .  I did not take note of any of the other aspects of the system.

I have to say - I was underwhelmed.  I am relatively new to this hobby but the sound was not engaging.

It was impressive in that it was a BIG sound that was crystal clear and played without distortion, but it felt incredibly sterile.  

I would imagine this has as much to do with taste as anything, but I want so much more from my system.  Especially for that kind of money.

When I listen to my comparatively pauper-like system at home, I get drawn into the experience, and I can't count the number of times if I happen to be reading, the music makes me stop and just listen.

While it was certainly a lot of fun to see that level of equipment, it gave me great reassurance to know that you don't have to spend nearly that much to have a transcendent experience.

Torii MKV/25 mods
PS Audio Stellar Phono Preamplifier
Technics SL-1200GR w/ Nagaoka MP-200.
KLH Model 3 speakers..
Sonos connect.
  IP Logged
tempest62
Ex Member

Re: My high end audio experience
Reply #1 - 10/04/22 at 18:08:30

I hear you.

I'm very, very happy so far with my meager $12-14k system, excluding the 2nd system and headphones/cable, most all of it purchased as used components.

But we have to remember that in those "elite" circles how important it is to maintain inflated egos, rubbing each others' bellies, and party it up playing pocket pool in front of each other all night. Its a competition with penis size. Its all part of The Dance.

Brad

IP Logged
Doug
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 10/04/22 at 20:09:26

Dr3, you have a local hifi store?  That’s weird!

Vandersteen has built quite the business.  I’ll bet he has a million great stories.  Glad you had a good time.

I had a pair of his model 2 speakers around the mid-80’s that I drove with a big VTL PP amp.  I read somewhere that Vandersteen has sold well over 100,000 pairs of the model 2.  I guess the model 2’s are ok for what they are, but they’re not that good, and yet, Richard continues to sell them!  He must be a marketing master and a great salesman.

Jay’s CD2T-Mk3
Denafrips Pontus II
ZROCK2 25th Mods
CSP3 25th & Custom Mods
PAP Quintets with Voxativ 1.6
First Watt J2 or Cary 300SEI
driving Voxativs—no crossover
LFD NCSE driving 15” Woofers
  IP Logged
tempest62
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 10/04/22 at 20:44:26

Doug, I remember hearing one of the Vandy 3’s and it seemed there was something missing in palpability dept. They just didn’t sound very real. I also remember the 2ci back in the day and it was worse. All driven by SS amps, though I don’t remember which.

Brad

IP Logged
GroovySauce
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 10/05/22 at 18:54:47

Dr3wman, unfortunately that’s the way the mainstream industry has been going. Super high price point components that don’t sound like music. Topping it off, a terrible room. Leaves me shaking my head.

Your experience is the norm. I’ve heard from multiple people who have gone to listen to high end systems, coming away unimpressed.

I spent a bunch of time with a system consisting of CXNv2 -> ZROCK2 -> ZMA -> F15 Iconoclast RCAs and Zenwave speaker cables and DECWARE PCs. It was a fantastic setup! Emotionally moving and could get lost in the music.  Guessing this setup is less than the cables used in the demo system you listened to.

Maximus NEO TT|ViV Rigid Float TA | Phasemation PP-200 or Hana ML | Sutherland Little Loco MK2 | Innuos ZENith MK3 | LampizatOr GA TRP | EMIA Remote Autoformer | STL "Super Tube Rectifier" STR-1002 | SRA Cables | PAP Quintet 15 1.6 Voxativ |Torus AVR15
  IP Logged
johnnycopy
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 10/05/22 at 20:16:58

Had 2b vandersteens many years ago, big selling point was the time aligned drivers.

Like others here never really cared for em that much.

Bought em used so live and learn and little risk

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print