Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/23/24 at 17:57:57 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
To preamp or not to preamp, that is the question (Read 2079 times)
edsel95
Verified Member

To preamp or not to preamp, that is the question
10/04/22 at 01:39:50

My amp will get here around April, '23. No worries. So I want to run 2 sources (turntable w/phono pre and CD player) and a headphone amp with my new amp. I run the sources into a CI Audio Passive PC 3, inputs 1&2. I run the variable out to the Decware and the fixed out to the headphone amp. My options are 2 variable outs or one fixed, one variable. But than I can't really use the Decware's  volume pot, which is part of the charm. If I don't want to use  the headphone amp, both sources can go directly into the amp. And the passive is pulled from service.  I don't want to use a powered pre at all. Have I backed myself into a corner? Thanks!!!

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Re: To preamp or not to preamp, that is the question
Reply #1 - 10/05/22 at 17:29:55

Sounds like you need a switch box:

https://www.decwareproducts.com/zsb

in front of your passive pre.

[FOOBAR2000 | Jay's CDT2 MRK3] -> Denafrips Terminator 2 + Gaia
Sumiko Pearwood -> Mapleknoll Athena -> Luxman SUT -> Maple-tree Phono 3E
Woo WA22 -> 2x UFO25s, balanced monos
Omega SAM , Hifiman Arya, Senn HD-650
  IP Logged
edsel95
Verified Member

Reply #2 - 10/06/22 at 04:27:43

This is too cool. I don't even need the passive wit this. Thanks !

IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #3 - 10/07/22 at 00:09:52

I find my ZSB very useful.  I will often switch between my Schiit Bifrost and my Dragonfly Red Dac to compare the sound of tracks in Hi Res vs MQA.  One of the other 2 inputs are used for my turntable and the last one is used for my RCA to 30pin Apple IPod adapter.  

What Decware needs to do now is employ this design and make a switch box for speaker cabling to switch between my different speakers.  

Dom

Rasp. Pi 4 [Roon], Schiit Bifrost True Multibit DAC, ZBIT, ZROCK2, My Audio Cables Ultra Silver+, ZSB, CSP2+ 25th, DAG Cables, DHC1, Torii MKIV 25th /2 White Zen SE84C+ 25th mono’s, Rega P2 Turntable,Rega Fono MK5, Velodyne Dual Firing Sub, ERR’s [Bubbinga Wood]
  IP Logged
hdrider
Seasoned Member

On the path with
Decware.

Reply #4 - 10/22/22 at 23:58:56

edsel95- I use a ZSB to route sources to our CSP3 and there is zero negative impact on the sound quality. Great product, very transparent. Keep us posted when your amp lands and happy listening, Chris.
P.S. Welcome aboard the forum, lots of great advice, experience, humor, music talk and very little (if any) bs like some forums.

CSP3, Rachael, ZP3, ZMC 1, Sony ES Bluray, Schitt Bitfrost DAC,Sota Star TT w/ FR-64, Hana SL Low Output Moving coil, Omega 7XRS Mk 2 walnut, DeepOmega 8 sub, Morrow Audio PH3 and MA3 IC's, Gamma Electrostatic phones.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print