Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/29/24 at 16:47:31 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Need Advice - Buy Pre-amp or Switchbox? (Read 1752 times)
Zoeydogg
Verified Member

Need Advice - Buy Pre-amp or Switchbox?
09/29/22 at 18:25:54

I just purchased a 2021 used 25th Anniversary edition of the Zen Triode and I absolutely love it!  End game for me, finally. Here's my question: Do I purchase a switchbox or a pre-amp to allow me to access my phono stage, cd player, and DAC? (Using just the DAC at the moment). Inputs and control over volume are my main goals. Would I notice a difference in the quality of sound from a pre-amp or a switchbox? Do I get more volume control with the pre? If not, should I go with the switchbox? And if I do, how should I configure the switchbox? Pros and cons? Looking forward to hearing the wizened thoughts of you experienced users. Thanks!

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Re: Need Advice - Buy Pre-amp or Switchbox?
Reply #1 - 09/29/22 at 20:44:47

Firstly, welcome to the family!

Now for your question. For me, I wouldn't be without a tube preamp in my system. I think most people probably do (not necessarily a tube preamp). But this is for sound, I guess if you are happy with the sound of your DAC run directly into the amp maybe you don't need the extra expense of a preamp. Would you notice a difference with one? Almost certainly, but in your case it might not be an improvement, because if it works for you it is hard to beat the transparency of "nothing". Realistically the only way to know for sure is to try it.

[FOOBAR2000 | Jay's CDT2 MRK3] -> Denafrips Terminator 2 + Gaia
Sumiko Pearwood -> Mapleknoll Athena -> Luxman SUT -> Maple-tree Phono 3E
Woo WA22 -> 2x UFO25s, balanced monos
Omega SAM , Hifiman Arya, Senn HD-650
  IP Logged
Zoeydogg
Verified Member

Reply #2 - 09/29/22 at 23:01:12

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts. Indeed, the real way to find out is to listen myself. But short of the effort and expense of doing that, I thought I would tap into the experience of people like you in the forum. I should have probably noted earlier that I'm clueless about the switchbox and how it should best be configured. Any thoughts anyone?

IP Logged
HockessinKid
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 09/29/22 at 23:22:09

Zoeydogg,

If you scan some of the General Section threads, you'll find that most member systems have benefited from use of a Decware preamp. A preamp allows you additional flexibility in adjusting gain in conjunction with your amplifier and adding additional sources easily.

The only thing I can add is a recommendation to consider 25th Anniversary modifications to ANY Decware component, if your budget allows. The mods really have elevated the SQ in my system.

HK

Nottingham Interspace TT w/ Audio Technica AT-OC9XML cart + Modwright PH 9.0XT phono OR Modwright modded Cambridge CNX V2 > CSP3-25th Ann. preamp > ZMA-25th Ann. amp > PI Audio UberBUSS > Caintuck Audio Lii15 Magnum speakers > Snake River Audio & ZenWave cables
  IP Logged
Tony
Seasoned Member

"Life without
..music is
inconceivable"
A.Einsteln

Reply #4 - 09/29/22 at 23:25:23

Hi Zoey,

Let me start by piggybacking on CAJames' welcome to you.  

I have two Decware systems in operation and love them both.  Upstairs I have a preamp and think so much of its contribution to my sound that I would never part with it.  For me, adding a preamp to your systems sounds logical.

In my other setup, I don't have a preamp.  I go from streamer to DAC to a ZBIT-like box (see my recent comments under ZBIT) to amp and like it - a lot.  

If I had to choose, I would go preamp.  If I had to be mindful of managing costs, I would go the other way.

Good luck; with either choice, you'll love the sound.

SE84UFO25 | Ic0n4 Passive Preamp | ZBIT | Cambr. CXNv2 | Denafrips Pontus II | Denafrips Gaia | Media Converter | Decware I/Cs | Decware Pwr Cbls | ZWIRE Speaker Cbls | Omega SAHOM & KEF KC62 | Furman Cond l GIK Room Trmt
  IP Logged
kulafu
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 09/30/22 at 01:01:54

Joey,
Welcome!  I have learned a lot from these gurus! The Decware CSP3 preamp only has two inputs so if you were looking for three inputs, you would need a ZSB.  Otherwise, I do agree that a preamp is desirable and as you read through the forum, "gain riding" is an added benefit. If you can afford it, buy both.  I bought my Decware Preamps used in the classified so keep an eye out for them.
Bob

Omega SAMS,Altec 604C in O/B,UFO25th/Cary SET Monos/Torii Jr,CSP3 25th Holo May KTE ,HQP/USB/Pulse/EtherRegen, Roon/Thorens 1600(Decware ICs, speaker wires/Equi=Core 1800)
Caintuck Lii 15s, T6s, CSP3 25tt , Elekit 8900,IFI Zen Stream, Pontus I
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #6 - 09/30/22 at 01:21:41

Well, he may not need a switch box as well as a two input preamp if his amp has two inputs. Wink

I'm firmly in the preamp camp. Especially Decware preamps--they add a good bit that one gets used to quickly and won't want to do without.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
spyder1
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 09/30/22 at 03:40:46

I own a ZSB and have to say that it adds four extra inputs to your system. It adds absolutely no coloration to your music. If you want to just listen to the "Purity of Music," from your SE84UFO25's vacuum tubes, IMO the ZSB is the way to go.

IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #8 - 10/01/22 at 06:35:59

I own both the ZSB and a Z stage preamp.  While I use both on a regular basis… If you asked me to choose only one, it would absolutely be the Zstage hands down!! Personally I see the switchbox as a convenience device… But the Zstage as a necessity.

Dom

Rasp. Pi 4 [Roon], Schiit Bifrost True Multibit DAC, ZBIT, ZROCK2, My Audio Cables Ultra Silver+, ZSB, CSP2+ 25th, DAG Cables, DHC1, Torii MKIV 25th /2 White Zen SE84C+ 25th mono’s, Rega P2 Turntable,Rega Fono MK5, Velodyne Dual Firing Sub, ERR’s [Bubbinga Wood]
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print