04/19/24 at 22:00:21 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Roon Updates (Read 1557 times)
HockessinKid
Seasoned Member

Roon Updates
09/20/22 at 22:02:41

Roon just released their new 2.0 software update. In addition they have also released a new app called Roon ARC. The combination allows for remote listening via a laptop, tablet or phone. This would be particularly useful to folks who want to stream music via Tidal or Qobuz and Roon to listen in your car. Roon ARC can also access your hard drive library music, something never before possible (I think).

It will be interesting comparing SQ via Room ARC vs. Qobuz in the car. I plan to use my Pixel 6 phone> DAC dongle> Aux cable > Pioneer headunit. I may also try Bluetooth, however I never got decent SQ with this older headunit.

For those who might try this new delivery system out, please post your impressions. The only downside I see is that Roon Core must remain on for the connection to Room ARC to work properly. If Roon Core goes down, particularly when the software updates, you'll need to reboot/open the Core. At this point it can't be done remotely.

HK

Nottingham Interspace TT w/ Audio Technica AT-OC9XML cart + Modwright PH 9.0XT phono OR Modwright modded Cambridge CNX V2 > CSP3-25th Ann. preamp > ZMA-25th Ann. amp > PI Audio UberBUSS > Caintuck Audio Lii15 Magnum speakers > Snake River Audio & ZenWave cables
  IP Logged
HockessinKid
Seasoned Member

Re: Roon Updates
Reply #1 - 09/22/22 at 23:32:55

Roon 2.0 information:

FB_IMG_1663885871331.jpg

Nottingham Interspace TT w/ Audio Technica AT-OC9XML cart + Modwright PH 9.0XT phono OR Modwright modded Cambridge CNX V2 > CSP3-25th Ann. preamp > ZMA-25th Ann. amp > PI Audio UberBUSS > Caintuck Audio Lii15 Magnum speakers > Snake River Audio & ZenWave cables
  IP Logged
tempest62
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 09/23/22 at 00:51:31

HK, thank you for updates. When I get around to steaming on my Bryston BDA-2 in the main system and the Cambridge CXNV2 in the 2nd system, Roon and Qobuz will be on subscription.

Brad

IP Logged
MarioEd
Verified Member

Reply #3 - 09/23/22 at 19:57:58

Hi all,

I’ve been playing around with Roon Arc on an iPhone SE. In my car I connect using a lightening cable into the CD player/satellite radio, it’s an older Jeep pre-wireless connections. The sound quality is equal to playing a cd. The iPhone downsamples everything to 48 kHz. I had some connection issues when I first tried but it seems to be stable now. I had to change a couple of settings on my router.

I can access both my local library & Qobuz through Roon Arc, a very nice feature. I’ll be testing it through a portable Bluetooth speaker later. If all goes well, this will be a great setup for traveling.

Regards,
Mario

Roon Rock NUC 11i7 > Sonore ultrarendu > Chord Qutest dac > Bottlehead Moreplay > Jolida Foz ss-x >SE84UFO > Omega Junior 8XRS, Kimber Kable hero IC & Audience Ohno iii SC
  IP Logged
HockessinKid
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 04/08/23 at 12:07:25

I've been streaming Qobuz via Roon on my modified Cambridge Audio CXN V2 for almost two years. My Roon Core is loaded onto a very stable desktop PC w/ an Intel I7 processor, 16GB of RAM and solid state hard drives.

I stream via Verizon FIOS WiFi w/ excellent signal strength and reception at the CXN V2. Sound quality and functionality of the Roon ecosystem is great with one big exception - Roon updates.

Every time Roon updates it's software streaming Qobuz becomes dodgey. Inevitably my Roon app shows an error message saying "Qobuz appears to be loading slowly, check your connection (or something to that effect)". Sometimes albums don't play all the way through, tracks get hung up, and the listening experience goes to hell.

There is a fix, rebooting the core and clearing out the Qobuz & Roon cache works but I have to say it's a PIA in my opinion. Given the frequency of Roon updates these days and the location of my desktop PC (two floors up) running an Ethernet cable is a bit problematic.

Anyhow, not sure if anyone else is experiencing this issue, but based on internet posts it appears to be a regular occurrence. So, I've contacted Roon and encouraged their software engineers to be mindful and hopefully find a solution for future updates. Peace out.

HK

IP Logged
Ghostship
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 04/10/23 at 09:59:33

I stream Tidal through Roon. While I don't get error messages, I do get a sound quality and performance decrease after every Roon update. For me, I'm convinced the problem is with my streamer (because this also happens occasionally without an update). The cure is shutting Roon down, turning off the DAC, unplugging the streamer, disconnecting the streamer from the DAC, then plugging everything back in and powering them up, then restarting Roon.

Paul Pang Quad Network Switch & Fiber
MSB Premier DAC
Zen Sarah SEWE300B
Cryotone Bundle
Tekton 2-12 Perfect SET Speakers w/ BE Tweeters and Cap & Wiring upgrades
Tekton 2-10 Sub
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print