04/19/24 at 13:25:10 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Distortion? (Read 918 times)
metropolis7
Seasoned Member

Distortion?
09/19/22 at 18:37:06

I love my ZROCK. I love it so much that I use it with most recordings, not just the sub-par bass shy ones.
On some references recordings (Muddy Waters Folk Singer, Bill Evans at the Vanguard), the bass will distort or "bottom-out".
This happens at moderate volume with the ZROCK dial at 12 o'clock to 1 o'clock.
I am using Li 15 OB with a Zen Amp.
Is this to be expected or is there an issue here?

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: Distortion?
Reply #1 - 09/19/22 at 18:39:45

I have been using ZROCK2 in all my systems (three) since the first year the device was released. Yes it's normal to hear distortion on some recordings, especially those with an EQ that is already full . . . bass will then sometimes distort. Some tubes employed in the component may more than others. I find that when this happens I flip the bypass on and all is well.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
metropolis7
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 09/20/22 at 14:19:21

That's a relief, thanks Lon.

IP Logged
GroovySauce
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 09/21/22 at 11:42:29

The ZROCK2 can add significant amount of gain. If you want to boost the lower frequencies by 3db that's doubling the power. 6db double again.

By eye balling the graph in the manual it looks like the ZROCK2 can boost the bass by over 12db, maybe 20db. Meaning what was a 1/2 watt peak could become a 8 watt peak or more.

Maximus NEO TT|ViV Rigid Float TA | Phasemation PP-200 or Hana ML | Sutherland Little Loco MK2 | Innuos ZENith MK3 | LampizatOr GA TRP | EMIA Remote Autoformer | STL "Super Tube Rectifier" STR-1002 | SRA Cables | PAP Quintet 15 1.6 Voxativ |Torus AVR15
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print