Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/19/24 at 10:15:39 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
SE84UFO25 or TORII MK5 (Read 8952 times)
Herbert Kelly
Verified Member

SE84UFO25 or TORII MK5
09/14/22 at 23:53:01

I am sure this has been asked but I guess the answer depends a lot on speakers etc... so I am hoping for some guidance Smiley

I have been on the list about a year so SUPER excited that soon I will get my turn. I started wanting a normal SE84UFO then saw the SE84UFO25 and fell in love with the looks and tube swopping options it comes with and so on and reasoned that if I wait for something this long I might aswell get what I want.

THEN I read some reviews on the TORII MK5 and now I am torn. It is also a damn good looking amp.

My Setup Klipch Forte IV speakers, Rega P8 with Rega Apheta 3 cartridge, Rega Aria MK3 phono pre amp. I also have a bottlehead moreplay preamp and will likely build their 300b pre amp soon.

Long term I would love to get Klipsc Cornwall or La Scala.

Has anyone had the same dilema haha... or advice..

Thanks!

IP Logged
tempest62
Ex Member

Re: SE84UFO25 or TORII MK5
Reply #1 - 09/15/22 at 00:03:51

I’ve not had any of the flea watt SE84 lineup. However I once owned a flea watt pentode amp, a Taboo MK 4, and never making that kind of mistake again.

But I can say that in terms of versatility and tunability the Torii, on the low end of a medium powered amp, blows the SE84 anything out of the water. The flea watt amp will keep you far more limited in speaker choice and room type than the Torii.

I would think of the choice in terms of a long term strategy rather than a short term tactic. You don’t want your amp wheezing and running out of steam. This is especially important since a wait time is like forever.

Brad

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #2 - 09/15/22 at 00:10:38

I have actual not imagined experience with Torii Mk II, Mk III (had two of them) and with several Zen amps, with the EL34 Integrated and also EL34 Monoblocks from Steve, and now have the Taboo Mk IV and the SE84UFO3 Monoblocks.

My advice? Be sure to have a good fit between speakers and amp. I have enjoyed the lower power amps more than the higher powered Toriis in my own systems, when I have speakers that do them justice they give me a more involving sound, I'm drawn into the music more, which is what I like. With the speakers you aspire to own the smaller powered amps would be a good fit.

They are all good amps. And personal preferences in presentation, and personal hearing and personal spaces all play a part in what you might prefer. As well as what type of music you listen to and whether you want to assault your ears with high volume or lower volumes. With the right speaker and amp connection you'll have really satisfying musical playback. And a talk with Steve is actually better than any advice on this forum.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
johnnycopy
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 09/15/22 at 02:28:33

40 year audiophile with more systems than I can remember during that time, most of it bought used.

And I have no idea What speakers or amps I will own next year though it might be what I have now.

What are your tendencies, how often do you like to experiment / change?

If you do change often, What flexibility will your amps provide with different speakers?

Regardless of all of that, the Decware used market is strong reducing financial penalties for any desired change

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #4 - 09/15/22 at 03:07:14

Maybe split the difference between the UFO25 and TORII and get the new 300B amp, Sarah:

https://www.decware.com/cgi-bin/yabb22/YaBB.pl?num=1649817393

Just something else to think about...

[FOOBAR2000 | Jay's CDT2 MRK3] -> Denafrips Terminator 2 + Gaia
Sumiko Pearwood -> Mapleknoll Athena -> Luxman SUT -> Maple-tree Phono 3E
Woo WA22 -> 2x UFO25s, balanced monos
Omega SAM , Hifiman Arya, Senn HD-650
  IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #5 - 09/15/22 at 03:53:24

1.5 + year Audiophile here.

Great question here. As everyone states above it kinda depends on how you listen, how loud do you truly listen, and how well the amp couples with your speakers.

What are you looking for, slam, subtly, finesse, the ability to blow the paint off of your neighbor's garage door?

You need to step back and look at your true needs and then the correct answer will be obvious to you.

The old adage about needing tons of power so that you can play 110 db peaks in music aren't of any concerns to you if you play at 80 db.

See what I mean, horses for courses.

Owner of the infamous RED TORII and Dan the Redheaded Amp
  IP Logged
jec3504
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 09/15/22 at 05:49:46

Quote:
I have been on the list about a year so SUPER excited that soon I will get my turn.

Being on the wait list is very Zen

All about enlightenment

IP Logged
derekinla
Verified Member

Reply #7 - 09/15/22 at 08:04:23

I haven't received my amp yet but I am on the bottom of page 3! I decided to go with a Toriii Jr as I wanted to have greater flexibility to be able to pair the amp with a greater variety of speakers in a larger space. In theory a 20 Watt Torii Jr should be able to produce 9dB more volume then a 2.3 watt SE84UFO. Since I am somewhat limited at home by WAF issues, I decided to get the most versatile, high value amp in the Decware lineup (Torii Jr = "The Last Amp You'll Ever Need").

IP Logged
tempest62
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 09/15/22 at 08:24:20

Quote:
I haven't received my amp yet but I am on the bottom of page 3! I decided to go with a Toriii Jr as I wanted to have greater flexibility to be able to pair the amp with a greater variety of speakers in a larger space…

Smart move.

IP Logged
GroovySauce
Seasoned Member

Reply #9 - 09/15/22 at 16:28:56

Quote:
Maybe split the difference between the UFO25 and TORII and get the new 300B amp, Sarah:

In a month I'll be able to verify this... I'm guessing the 300B Sarah is more along the lines of the UFO amp. Both being single ended.

There is a difference between SET and Push Pull designs. Not taking in power. They sound different and people have preferences for one of the other.

Last year at DECFEST, most of the people said they preferred the PP sound over the SET sound. That might have been because the MKV was the new kid?

The Torii MKV much more tune-able than the UFO in my experiments. If there is a specific sound you are searching for, the MKV has more options available. I've found I can get the Torii MKIV to sound very close to the UFO25TH. The UFO25TH cannot get close to some of the sounds I can get out of the MKIV.

Maximus NEO TT|ViV Rigid Float TA | Phasemation PP-200 or Hana ML | Sutherland Little Loco MK2 | Innuos ZENith MK3 | LampizatOr GA TRP | EMIA Remote Autoformer | STL "Super Tube Rectifier" STR-1002 | SRA Cables | PAP Quintet 15 1.6 Voxativ |Torus AVR15
  IP Logged
tempest62
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 09/15/22 at 17:13:32

Bingo. Nigel, you said it perfectly.

Like I mentioned earlier, the Torii offers a ton more in tunability for sound as well as versatility [rooms, speaker mating, etc.]. Your world with a Torii is vastly more expansive. Not to mention much needed power for headroom.

IMO, I would never opt for a SE84UFO anything. Too restrictive. Maybe though if I knew 100% I would never, ever would buy another system and would sit 3 feet away with my head in a freakin' vice to listen.

Not after the flea watt debacle I had in the final analysis and it wheezing on too many recordings in my small 12x10 treated room with a ZROCK2, ZBIT, and CSP3 all wide open volume along with the Taboo MK 4 mated with 95db single driver speakers.

Brad

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #11 - 09/15/22 at 17:28:39

Wow, I continue to be mystified by your experience with the Taboo and those high efficiency speakers.

I use the same amp, ZBIT and ZROCK2 with 92.5 db HR-1 speakers in a room 2.5 times larger than that you were in and sit about 10' or so away from the speakers and don't run out of steam unless I am blasting video material with copious low frequency energy. So I can conclude we must hear very differently.

In my other system I use the same speakers and the SE84UFO3 Monoblocks with even less power and the room is as long but narrower, I sit 8 feet from the speakers and don't run out of steam on music, which is all this system is used for. In fact I have lots of headroom if I chose to harm my ears by blasting music at them.

And it's true that the SET and push-pull sounds are very different. After years of push-pull I have no desire to go back to that sound, to me it is more hifi than the more natural sound of the Zen amps.

I only hope that when you actually finally hear a Torii Mk V you enjoy it. I'm looking forward to the 300B, with a lot of patience, for a different experience of the SET sound.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
tempest62
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 09/15/22 at 17:29:26

Lon, your ears are very much different than mine. That's all I can surmise.

I've received the MK 5 and I absolutely love it. In 5 mins I determined it kicks the total living hell out of the Taboo MK 4. I've done precious little listening though, reasons being I have had things to do around the house that take precedent over audio, and the system had been down due to network issues and other things.

Thank you for your well wishes. I hope that you love your 300B at least as much as  your beloved UFO monoblocks.

Brad

IP Logged
Dr3wman
Seasoned Member

Reply #13 - 09/15/22 at 17:50:20

Brad,

As to your initial experience, I can't remember if you have mentioned what output tubes you selected. I picked KT66 for my pending MKV but am thinking I might just have it shipped with EL34s.

Andrew

Torii MKV/25 mods
PS Audio Stellar Phono Preamplifier
Technics SL-1200GR w/ Nagaoka MP-200.
KLH Model 3 speakers..
Sonos connect.
  IP Logged
tempest62
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 09/15/22 at 18:46:01

Hey Andrew, I opted for EL34. Steve sent JJ EL34 II’s.

Even with substandard tubes and DAC direct to amp with no preamp and no ZR2 (who knows what the rectifiers are but they look really cheap) right out of the box the sonics kill the weak willed Taboo with a ZR2 and CSP3 by a landslide.

I have much better tubes (Cryotone, pretty exotic array of NOS, etc) for the entire topology that will be experimented with over time.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #15 - 09/15/22 at 19:02:27

GroovySauce wrote on 09/15/22 at 16:28:56:
The Torii MKV much more tune-able than the UFO in my experiments. If there is a specific sound you are searching for, the MKV has more options available.

I'd wager that my SE84UFO3 as built by Steve and the SE84UFO25 are as tunable with the exception of a few output tube types (ours can use at least three)--we have voltage regulation for both input and output, two speaker selection positions, two bias positions, dual volume controls, and in the case of mine treble reduction circuits. Just sayin' . . . .

IP Logged
Bilyeaux
Seasoned Member

Reply #16 - 09/16/22 at 12:45:32

With my Ufo2 in a 15 x 15 room sitting 9’ away I get plenty of volume (and glorious sound) from my Heresy and now Omegas. I dont often want volumes over 90db and this set up delivers. As Lon says of course every room, set up, and ears will prefer something different.

ARC LS25MK2, UFO2.1 & Denafrips Pontus II DAC, PSA P300 Regen, Rega P6 w/ NEO and Rega MM Phono, Marantz CD6006, Bluesound Node 2i, Nakamitchi Cassette, Syzygy Sub, Omega JR XRS Towers & 74' Heresy rebuilt from Crites, ZWIRE speaker, DSRXLR, AQ connects
  IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #17 - 09/16/22 at 13:46:00

Quote:
Posted by: Lon      Posted on: Yesterday at 19:02:27

I'd wager that my SE84UFO3 as built by Steve and the SE84UFO25 are as tunable with the exception of a few output tube types (ours can use at least three)...

On my UFOs I've tried 3 different 6P15P types, that ranged from yuck to really good. A couple (Russian) EL84 types that I didn't like at all. EL83s (with custom made adapters to preserve the Hazen grid mod) that sounded great, and my current favorite : EL822s with 6CH6 to EL84 adapters that are giving me the best sound yet. And that is even without VR tubes in the mix.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #18 - 09/16/22 at 14:04:46

I was hoping you would weigh in. Very flexible, tunable machines!

What you can do with input tubes is astonishing. On my Monoblocks for some reason 6085 tubes--which are a 12AU7 big tube with slightly higher gain--work as inputs with no conversion, and the sound is fascinating to me--pump in a lot of gain and the body of the images and the depth of the soundstage is fascinating to listen to. I just got in a pair of the earliest type of 6085: Philips Holland made pinched waist with a "D" shaped "getter" frame. They are seasoning in but are quite a pair of tubes.

IP Logged
jec3504
Ex Member

Reply #19 - 09/16/22 at 14:44:41

Quote:
Even with substandard tubes and DAC direct to amp with no preamp and no ZR2 (who knows what the rectifiers are but they look really cheap) right out of the box the sonics kill the weak willed Taboo with a ZR2 and CSP3 by a landslide.

Brad put those stock tubes in their boxes. Let her rip! Your going to be blown away.

Joseph

IP Logged
Herbert Kelly
Verified Member

Reply #20 - 09/16/22 at 15:28:59

Thanks everyone love seeing all the input my heart just loves the SE84UFO25 so I will leave my order on that for now. Still have a few months to think about it I think, I am just about halfway down page 2 right now Tongue

IP Logged
JOMAN
Seasoned Member

Reply #21 - 09/16/22 at 15:48:28

When I was deciding to go to low power/high efficiency I also considered the Taboo vs the UFO2.  I had a conversation with Steve and he asked me a few questions and then offered some comments.  I also noted that using speakers the Taboo would do better with 8 ohm vs 4 ohm speakers whereas, specifically the UFO25, can run 2ohm - 16 ohm and had a hi/lo impedance switch to better match speakers to the amp.

That along with Steves comments led me to conclude that the design origins of the Taboo would make it best suited as a headphone amp and that it would have certain limitations with speakers that the UFO25 would not.  So in the case of the Taboo vs the UFO25 it's also about system synergy in which power is a factor but not the be all and end all sole deciding factor.

FWIW... I also found that my experience with high power low efficiency systems had similar limitations.  You can't throw just any low efficiency speaker in a high power system and and expect stellar results.

IP Logged
Tommy Freefall
Seasoned Member

Reply #22 - 09/16/22 at 18:58:44

Brad, it was a long wait but congrats on finally receiving your Torii Mk V!
Hopefully it works out perfectly for your expectations and system.

Torii MkIV w/ 25th ann mods
Rachael SE34I.5
Benchmark AHB2
ERRx
ZStage, ZRock2
Tascam CD-240
Border Patrol DAC
Benchmark DAC3 HGC
Bluesound Node
Zu Audio Mission speaker cables
Decware I/Cs
PI Audio MiniBUSS
Zenhead, Grado 325e
  IP Logged
tempest62
Ex Member

Reply #23 - 09/16/22 at 21:58:00

Thanks Tommy!

Audio over the past couple months hasn’t been much of a priority, so more to come when I get it together.

From what little I heard so far, I’m smitten. Armchair quarterbacking (happens ever Sunday after a bigly beautiful dose of college football Saturdays, lol, others might see what I also did there), I just wish I was smart enough not to have made my previous mistake.

Brad

IP Logged
tempest62
Ex Member

Reply #24 - 09/16/22 at 22:09:38

Good points John. You did the smart thing and talked to Steve. In my experience the Taboo is absolutely killer exceptional with headphones. At the time I had Audeze LCD-3F’s. With speakers, not so much. I had 8 ohm relatively high efficiency speakers, 95 db. Simply didn’t cut the mustard. Oh and I forgot to mention that’s with a ZBIT as well, taking advantage of 4.5v out of the DAC.

I didn’t have the ZBIT in either when listening to the Bryston BDA-3 DAC direct to Torii MK 5. The amp has bass grip and astounding presence. I loved it!!!!! And finally power with headroom. I got tired of having to push the Taboo and CSP3 wide open too damned often.

IP Logged
GroovySauce
Seasoned Member

Reply #25 - 09/17/22 at 00:10:48

Quote:
And it's true that the SET and push-pull sounds are very different. After years of push-pull I have no desire to go back to that sound, to me it is more hifi than the more natural sound of the Zen amps.

Lon, I find the opposite. I find SET to be too relaxed not enough intensity. I do not like in your face and aggressive. I prefer a softer laid back sound. SET just goes too far and can sound lazy at times.

SET does have togetherness that PP doesn’t have.

CAJames, Lon and anyone else, I’m up to try a few more tubes with the UFO25TH. What are your suggestions for driver tubes?

I’m looking to tighten things up. I’ve tried A-D VR tubes in all the positions. The rear ones were not happy with the 0D3… it might have been the 0C3. It was a constant buzz from the tube itself, surprisingly no buzz from the speakers.

Looking for lots of information without becoming dry and analytical. Also want it to be euphoric and enveloping.

My hunch is SET just doesn’t have control for speakers.

It could also be that some people are wired for SET and some are wired for PP.

Maximus NEO TT|ViV Rigid Float TA | Phasemation PP-200 or Hana ML | Sutherland Little Loco MK2 | Innuos ZENith MK3 | LampizatOr GA TRP | EMIA Remote Autoformer | STL "Super Tube Rectifier" STR-1002 | SRA Cables | PAP Quintet 15 1.6 Voxativ |Torus AVR15
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #26 - 09/17/22 at 00:32:16

GS, I honestly think persons hear differently and have different hearing capabilities. What I can hear with less efficient speakers in a room larger than Brad's with more efficient speakers and the same amp that Brad doesn't seem to hear the same at all. . . just seems to scream differences in hearing.

The push-pull amps I had from Steve were not necessarily more "in your face" (I hate that) but were just more "plastic" sounding, not as realistic sounding to me.

If the 6N1P tube type isn't working for you within a Zen amp, I think you've tried 6922/7308? If not Amperex of those types may give you what you are looking for. And I personally have found what I really like in two different tube types and adaptor bases: 6SN7 (RCA gray glass is my favorite) and 6085 (a beefy 12AU7, sounds really good with the adaptor bases, and in my Monoblocks even better plugged in directly when a lot of gain is pumped into the amps via preamp and ZROCK2.

And one 6DJ8 that may be to your liking is the GE "Smokey."

Like you I don't like an "in your face"/hifi presentation which has soured me on push-pull, but I don't find my amps' SET to be too mellow, at least not with my power treatment, sources etc. I did like the 6N1P for a long time until I improved my source components--then I needed a different type of input and driver tube.

I totally don't agree that SET "don't have control of the speakers." My Monoblocks drive the HR-1 as well as the Toriis I had, with the same exceptional bass control yielding tight clarity and dynamics.

IP Logged
GroovySauce
Seasoned Member

Reply #27 - 09/17/22 at 11:02:51

Herbert, The UFO25TH is a fantastic amp. We are talking about world class amp and which flavor we prefer.

Lon, I agree, my brother and I can both agree if a component is a quality piece or not. We both enjoy a different sound. We are both sensitive to high frequencies, He prefers a bit more snap and tightness, I prefer a bit more mellow and euphoric.

I find the 6N1P to be too plump and laid back. Reminds me of the “classic tube sound”

I do have a pair of Amperex 6085s. I’ll see if I have adapter bases, if not I’ll order a pair.

Is the “Smokey” going to be labeled as smokey? Or, look for smoked glass?

CAJames, What 6P15P did you like best? What was it you like more than the others?

Brad, I’m still scratching my head how you didn’t have enough volume with the Taboo. Running the UFO25 on 91 db speakers it was more than enough volume in a medium sized room.

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #28 - 09/17/22 at 15:15:33

My favorite 6P15P is the -ER (EP in Cyrillic). The -EV that came with the amps was good, but I find the -ER even better.

My (current) favorite power tube is the EL-822:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/193691567270

with a 6CH6 -> EL84 adapter:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/202978056611

(They sound pretty rough out of the box and take at least 10 hours to start sounding good in my experience)

As for input tubes I generally like ECC189 types but I've been really enjoying the 6CG7 lately. It is the 9 pin version of the 6SN7 and works without an adapter. My favorite is the RCA black plate, but every one I've tried sounds good, esp. the Raytheon (made in Japan) that costs a lot less than RCA black plates or clear tops.

Another favorite is the 5670 type. My favorite is the Tesla 6CC42, I've been wanting to try a WE 396A but that hasn't happened yet. The Russian 6N3P-DR is really good and was dirt cheap, at least pre-war.

This gets said a lot, but it is really true: there is a synergy between the input/power/rectifier tubes in the amp. Esp. between input and rectifier in my experience. An input tube that is nothing special with one rectifier can be completely transformed by another and vice versa. So FYI/FWIW my favorite rectifier in my UFOs (and I've tried a bunch) is the Mulllard GZ33. I haven't priced them lately but when I bought mine they were like 100 bucks, which is pretty reasonable for a rectifier than should last for many years.

IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #29 - 09/17/22 at 16:23:58

Brad……Congratulations on finally getting and enjoying your Torii MKV.  I am truly enjoying mine and couldn’t have been more enthralled with my decision on that purchase.  Right before I purchased my MKIV 25th..I contemplated buying the SE84UFO25. Basically it boils down to headroom for me and I felt that in my larger space with vaulted ceilings and open floor plan I didn’t want out of headroom not so much for late night listening but for when having company over.

BUT….I will say that the sound that the ZEN amp throws truly is magical and very intoxicating.  Part of my original decision was the concern of headroom that the ZEN amp would fall a bit short.  I just recently acquired an SE84C+ that is currently at Decware for the full mud upgrade.  The Zen amp has no problem powering my Decware ERR speakers… which I was a bit surprised at.    The SET sound has the way of drawing you in.  I am blessed to now have both amps…PUSH PULL and SET sound.   It will be interesting to see which amp gets more playtime on a regular basis once I get it back from Decware.  

The takeaway here for the original poster is the pairing of your speakers with the amp and how loud you like to play and listen to your music.    Room treatment should also be taken into consideration and  both amplifiers are fantastic… But it seems that the  Torii does give you a tad bit more tunability with all of the features like the bass and treble adjustments and tube choices.  

Dom

Rasp. Pi 4 [Roon], Schiit Bifrost True Multibit DAC, ZBIT, ZROCK2, My Audio Cables Ultra Silver+, ZSB, CSP2+ 25th, DAG Cables, DHC1, Torii MKIV 25th /2 White Zen SE84C+ 25th mono’s, Rega P2 Turntable,Rega Fono MK5, Velodyne Dual Firing Sub, ERR’s [Bubbinga Wood]
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #30 - 09/17/22 at 16:58:02

GroovySauce wrote on 09/17/22 at 11:02:51:
Is the “Smokey” going to be labeled as smokey? Or, look for smoked glass?

Yes, look for "smoked glass," that's the easiest way to find them. A friend and I call them "Smokey" 6DJ8 and I have seen them listed that way on occasion.

s-l1600_009.jpg

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #31 - 09/17/22 at 17:04:38

CAJames wrote on 09/17/22 at 15:15:33:
My favorite 6P15P is the -ER (EP in Cyrillic). The -EV that came with the amps was good, but I find the -ER even better.

My (current) favorite power tube is the EL-822:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/193691567270

with a 6CH6 -> EL84 adapter:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/202978056611

(They sound pretty rough out of the box and take at least 10 hours to start sounding good in my experience)

As for input tubes I generally like ECC189 types but I've been really enjoying the 6CG7 lately. It is the 9 pin version of the 6SN7 and works without an adapter. My favorite is the RCA black plate, but every one I've tried sounds good, esp. the Raytheon (made in Japan) that costs a lot less than RCA black plates or clear tops.

Another favorite is the 5670 type. My favorite is the Tesla 6CC42, I've been wanting to try a WE 396A but that hasn't happened yet. The Russian 6N3P-DR is really good and was dirt cheap, at least pre-war.

This gets said a lot, but it is really true: there is a synergy between the input/power/rectifier tubes in the amp. Esp. between input and rectifier in my experience. An input tube that is nothing special with one rectifier can be completely transformed by another and vice versa. So FYI/FWIW my favorite rectifier in my UFOs (and I've tried a bunch) is the Mulllard GZ33. I haven't priced them lately but when I bought mine they were like 100 bucks, which is pretty reasonable for a rectifier than should last for many years.

I've tried almost every one of these tubes mentioned. I do really like the 6CG7 but my favorites are still the 6085 directly into my Monoblocks. And 7308s in the CSP3, CSP2+ and Taboo.

I've ordered a pair of EL-82 and adaptors to try, those are the ones I have no experience with and would like to try. So far I've settled on the cryo'd tubes that Steve sent to Watham as having a slight edge over the other types (I'm not convinced my bases allow the EL83 to utilize the Hazen Grid Mod which is a factor I believe in my choices).

I totally agree about the relationship and importance of the input tube and rectifier, but will also add that in the case of my Monoblocks  the voltage regulation tubes for both input and output have as close a connection to the overall wonder of a tube complement.

IP Logged
jec3504
Ex Member

Reply #32 - 09/17/22 at 17:32:01

This discussion will get more complex once the Sarah hits the market. Maybe the cost of power tubes will swing some peoples decisions. Nothing wrong with having choices.

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #33 - 09/17/22 at 17:34:35

Quote:
Posted by: Lon      Posted on: Today at 17:04:38

... but I don't find mystery  amps' SET to be too mellow, at least not with my power treatment, sources etc...

Same here. For me, the UFOs are Goldilocks. Just the right combination of transparency, speed, warmth and dynamics. Certainly more of all of those then my 100 watt Pass SEM (single ended MOSFET) amps that I had for decades and thought were the end game.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #34 - 09/17/22 at 18:15:42

CAJames wrote on 09/17/22 at 17:34:35:
Same here. For me, the UFOs are Goldilocks. Just the right combination of transparency, speed, warmth and dynamics. Certainly more of all of those then my 100 watt Pass SEM (single ended MOSFET) amps that I had for decades and thought were the end game.

Agree, just like Goldilock's pudding, a phrase I have used before more than once. .. it's so fitting.

And I had added two comments to my response to you that I intended for a response to Groovy Sauce; I removed them from my response to you and added them to mine to him.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #35 - 09/17/22 at 18:24:07

Quote:
This discussion will get more complex once the Sarah hits the market. Maybe the cost of power tubes will swing some peoples decisions. Nothing wrong with having choices.

Yes, though the way Steve seems to be implementing the power output of the Sarah the power differential is not that big in comparison to the Zen amps. I've been looking at 300B tubes and there is a huge range of tubes available from not so expensive to WTF! Wink

IP Logged
GroovySauce
Seasoned Member

Reply #36 - 09/17/22 at 22:30:02

CAJames, I’ll pick up a pair of the -ERs.  

I’ll start there and see what happens. I’m also in a new home so the room and power situation is completely different. I’m looking forward to really diving into this comparison… I did check the build list and I’m 16 on the list for my MKV so that might throw a monkey wrench into things. Dominick’s words have inspired me.

Lon, I’ll keep an eye out for a pair or trio. I have a suspicion it’s the driver tubes that are the “weak” link for what I’m after. It will be fun to try the tubes in the Torii too.

I do have a Sarah 300B on order… That’s going to be 3 years out from now so lots of time so see what happens. Yes WTF is a good descriptor of the prices of some of the 300B tubes… When I bought my EML rectifiers I thought paying $375 for a rectifier was crazy.

I’ve been heavy on the Push Pull promotion. It’s prudent to revisit my convictions.

IP Logged
JOMAN
Seasoned Member

Reply #37 - 09/18/22 at 11:38:24

I've just had an experience that really shows the potential in the UFO25 SE/low power amp and the importance of taking several factors into consideration when choosing SE or PP amps as this will definitely apply to both equally.

I had to remove my CSP3-A and have not got it back yet, hopefully next week.  So what happened was with the CSP3-A out of the chain.  The UFO25 has a complete complement of CryoTone tubes, 5AR4, EL84 and of particular note note in this scenario is the input tube which is the CryoTone 12AU7-WCL Long Plate (with an adapter).  It is a LOWER GAIN tube than normally used in this position.

Here's the chain: Lumin U2 Mini, OPPO BDP103D, Chord Qutest, ZROCK2-A and the UFO25.  The speakers are Omega Vintage 8 HO.

As I listened I adjusted the ZROCK2-A EQ setting to the A or up position, the UFO25 speaker impedance switch to the rear position and the input bias switch to the rear position.

Initially I just wanted to hear the Lumin and the Qutest but had to do so without the CSP3-A in the chain and a low gain input tube in the UFO25.  With the CSP3-A out I thought that I would only get a taste of what will be when the CSP3 is back in.  Well I ended up listening all day and well into the night!

There was volume, solidity, layering, liquidity, presence, detail retrieval across the spectrum including bass and absolutely no edginess, brittleness or hardness.  

I asked my wife to listen for a while and she looked at me and noted that I had that "I wonder what would happen if" expression on my face and said, "you realize that for most sane people this would be and END game???!  RIGHT!

At the time I was wondering what would happen if I eliminated the CSP3-A and the Lumin U2 Mini (which I just took delivery of) and put a Chord Dave or WEISS 501 or the DCS Lina in place (not that the Lumin or CSP3-A are lacking, both are is surprisingly good).

So what's the point?  It's not just about one thing.  It's not just about PP vs SE and it's definitely not about plug and play (according to my wife, plug and play is for sane people, not for audiophiles).  It's about knowing what you want as each of our tastes vary and then being prepared to work it through to each ones end game system be it SE or PP.  

For me, knowing exactly what I wanted took a while to crystallize.  I went through a lot of components.  That is hard to figure out at the outset but sooner or later that will have to happen if one will be satisfied and content with what ones system does.

For me it was easier to figure out with the UFO25 SE low power amp.  That definitely is my end game amp. Now, back to I wonder....

IP Logged
Tony
Seasoned Member

"Life without
..music is
inconceivable"
A.Einsteln

Reply #38 - 09/18/22 at 15:32:41

JOMAN,

I enjoyed reading your post. It was well thought out, well written, and instructive. I thought it described the process of pursuing the best sound quality in one's given situation.

I would have identified more with your wife's position a couple of years ago:  I want to purchase everything needed at once, set it up, and complete the acquiring part of the process. With that done, I would enjoy having it.

It has not worked out that way for me, and probably not for most of us that follow this forum; the process continues to unfold over time. There is no final getting there - with the possible exception of GravySause's current setup. Smiley

My take on what may drive Steve's innate curiosity about amp design is, "what if I simply change this….?" Will Sarah be Decware's last new amp? I doubt it. The process continues. Thanks for your post.

SE84UFO25 | Ic0n4 Passive Preamp | ZBIT | Cambr. CXNv2 | Denafrips Pontus II | Denafrips Gaia | Decware I/Cs | Decware Pwr Cbls | ZWIRE Speaker Cbls | Omega SAHOM & KEF KC62 | Furman Cond l GIK Room Trmt
  IP Logged
JOMAN
Seasoned Member

Reply #39 - 09/18/22 at 18:25:53

Thanks Tony.  I don't know about the "well written".  Keep reminding myself to check and correct, I thought I did.  Hopefully the thought is still there in-spite of the errors.

Might turn off spell check... turning out to be my worst enema!

IP Logged
Tony
Seasoned Member

"Life without
..music is
inconceivable"
A.Einsteln

Reply #40 - 09/18/22 at 20:21:34

Might turn off spell check... turning out to be my worst enema!

JOMAN,

Uhh, you might want to turn it back on - just for the heck of it I mean.   Smiley

Tony

SE84UFO25 | Ic0n4 Passive Preamp | ZBIT | Cambr. CXNv2 | Denafrips Pontus II | Denafrips Gaia | Decware I/Cs | Decware Pwr Cbls | ZWIRE Speaker Cbls | Omega SAHOM & KEF KC62 | Furman Cond l GIK Room Trmt
  IP Logged
Burgermeester
Seasoned Member

Reply #41 - 09/19/22 at 12:03:32

UFO2s on order:597 (17 double orders).

Most popular Decware amp. It would be interesting to know how many of these were ordered with the balanced input option. Every now and then I wonder if I should go with monoblock balanced UFO2s, fully pimped, but Steve just recently referred (in the 300B thread, I think) to the sound of the UFO25 as Decware's "holy grail." Little dropped comments like this keep me in the UFO25 column.

USO25s on order:155, 15 double orders.

10% of USF25 buyers seem to be going for monoblocks.

MKVs on order: 68  (54 with upgrade mods)

I guess you can make what you want of this. The MKV with anniversary mods is a good bit more expensive than the UFO25, which surely has an influence.

IP Logged
GroovySauce
Seasoned Member

Reply #42 - 09/19/22 at 12:17:06

Joman, well said. There is a process of discovery that takes time and effort. Spending time with a component, developing an understanding of the sonic signature. It’s skill, luck and trial and error.

Not knowing what you want is a tricky one. If you have not been exposed to a bunch of different presentations it’s more difficult to make a decision to lead you to where you want to go…. If you don’t know where you are going it doesn’t matter which turn you take.

Audio shows are great for this, especially if you can go with a buddy. Show conditions are poor for great sound quality. Learning how the different room setups sound and which you prefer is so valuable.

There is balance between how good can it get and satisfaction. To have both at the same time is a wonderful place to be.

I'll do a quick read of my posts. As long as it's mostly understandable, it's good enough for a casual environment. Work related I'll do an edit and proofread.

My guess is price does drive certain model sales over others.

IP Logged
tempest62
Ex Member

Reply #43 - 09/22/22 at 15:17:28

Quote:
Brad……Congratulations on finally getting and enjoying your Torii MKV.  I am truly enjoying mine and couldn’t have been more enthralled with my decision on that purchase.  Right before I purchased my MKIV 25th..I contemplated buying the SE84UFO25. Basically it boils down to headroom for me and I felt that in my larger space with vaulted ceilings and open floor plan I didn’t want out of headroom not so much for late night listening but for when having company over.

BUT….I will say that the sound that the ZEN amp throws truly is magical and very intoxicating.  Part of my original decision was the concern of headroom that the ZEN amp would fall a bit short.  I just recently acquired an SE84C+ that is currently at Decware for the full mud upgrade.  The Zen amp has no problem powering my Decware ERR speakers… which I was a bit surprised at.    The SET sound has the way of drawing you in.  I am blessed to now have both amps…PUSH PULL and SET sound.   It will be interesting to see which amp gets more playtime on a regular basis once I get it back from Decware.  

Dom, thank you! With my attention being paid to things over the past couple months being a higher priority, I’ve only listened maybe a total of 30 mins. The difference however is monumental IMO. Though I have to say much better speakers in the more recent Turning Point HR-1’s are vastly superior to my ears and in my treated room than the Omega single drivers ever were with the Taboo. Even with a ZR2-25th and an Omega Deephemp 8 sub, that sound was still too thin, especially on the bottom, on too many recordings.

I might actually consider an older Decware SE84C type to audition just for shits and giggles, as long as it’s pretty cheap, like $400. It could be readily re-sold in s hurry. I will not consider spending anywhere near the market value on a current SE84UFO type. I’d rather put the extra that would be paid into auditioning a Space Tech Labs choke-optioned super rectifier with the interesting options on tuning that affords. Since the fleawatt SEP sound didn’t cut the mustard, I have pretty high doubts the fleawatt SET sound would be enough to really matter. But hey, as I mentioned I could consider a trial just for the hell if it, as long as the investment is very minimal. Right now I imagine I would tire too quick of the SET. But you don’t know for absolute certain until you know. If it were to pass muster, I’d probably put it in storage as a backup to my 2nd casual listening system in the living room.

Brad

IP Logged
GroovySauce
Seasoned Member

Reply #44 - 09/23/22 at 22:53:15

I hooked up the UFO25TH in SSS room a day or two ago… I sat there slack jawed for a good moment. My mind still gets melted by what 2.3 watts can do! 

If I had never heard the Torii or ZMA I don’t know if it would tempt me to swap out the UFO for one of them… Who am I kidding… I love to experiment! 

Talking about experiments. Doug mentioned in another thread that he runs his Quintets with the full range driver wide open. I thought that was strange. It intrigued me; I bi-amped my Quintets Torii on the woofers and UFO on the Voxativ. Wow! the best I’ve ever heard the speakers sound. I wasn’t sure what to make of it. I took some measurements and the room response was flatter without the Voxativ being crossed over. 

I then hooked up the Voxativ (no xover) and woofers to the UFO. Dang it’s good! 

I received a pair of 6P15P-ER from DECWARE today. Plan is to play the UFO25TH for a few days. It’s been less than an hour and it’s sounding fantastic. “Harry Connick Jr. - Joe Slam and the Spaceship” is playing how. The bass is so well defined and textured. Drums are taut and explosive. Cymbals have bite—I could listen to all day and night and my ears would thank me. 

I don’t know if it’s the room or what! I’m reassessing my position on SET bass—SET sound.

I’m really hoping the Torii MKV is a blended version of the two amps. 

IP Logged
GroovySauce
Seasoned Member

Reply #45 - 09/23/22 at 22:55:29

Brad,

If you do have a chance to visit the DECWARE SET sound I'm curious if you will have a similar experience to mine.

I hope you get some good listening sessions in, in the near future.

My MKV is in QC now. Looks like I'll pick it up at DECFEST.

IP Logged
Dr3wman
Seasoned Member

Reply #46 - 09/23/22 at 23:23:59

Hey Groovy -

You must be excited. Makes DecFest even better!

Which output tubes did you select? I like getting a gauge of what people selected as I am only a few dozen behind you for my MKV and went with the KT66 (based on the chart that used to be up) .

Andrew

Torii MKV/25 mods
PS Audio Stellar Phono Preamplifier
Technics SL-1200GR w/ Nagaoka MP-200.
KLH Model 3 speakers..
Sonos connect.
  IP Logged
jec3504
Ex Member

Reply #47 - 09/23/22 at 23:53:53

GroovySauce,

All about symmetry!

IP Logged
GroovySauce
Seasoned Member

Reply #48 - 09/24/22 at 00:08:02

Andrew,

I don't know if I ordered specific tubes or not. I have a healthy selection of power tubes already so I'm happy to try what ever it comes with.

Yes! I'm double excited now Cheesy

jec, It really reinforces that experimentation pays off and to re-visit things.

IP Logged
jec3504
Ex Member

Reply #49 - 09/24/22 at 00:18:31

Nigel, It's cool to hear about your experiments.

Joseph

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print