Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/24/24 at 02:41:55 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
SE84C+ CKC White amp acquired (Read 1721 times)
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

SE84C+ CKC White amp acquired
09/09/22 at 06:56:36

Guys,

After a long hiatus from posting while my house was under construction….I am going to slowly start getting back into posting regularly like I used to, now that I am finally back in my house.  

With that being said…I just recently purchased an SE84C+ CKC white amp from a forum member.  I have been after a white amp for the longest time, and I am super stoked to have finally acquired one.  

I am toying with the idea of sending it in for the UFO upgrade, copper foil signal cap and bypass mod upgrade… in addition to transferring the warranty.  

For those who have done similar upgrades to your Zen amp, can you describe the difference on what you experienced before and after….as well as how profound the upgrades were.  

Part of me wants to wait a bit….experience the sound of the amp stock, and to send it in later on to hear the sound before and after … but I am just anxious and want to get the amp updated since I just setup my new system.  With ZROCK2 coming later this year, I feel I will be be set for a while….that is….until I get tired of my ZSTAGE and take the plunge for a CSP325.  

Any input would be appreciated.  

Dom

Rasp. Pi 4 [Roon], Schiit Bifrost True Multibit DAC, ZBIT, ZROCK2, My Audio Cables Ultra Silver+, ZSB, CSP2+ 25th, DAG Cables, DHC1, Torii MKIV 25th /2 White Zen SE84C+ 25th mono’s, Rega P2 Turntable,Rega Fono MK5, Velodyne Dual Firing Sub, ERR’s [Bubbinga Wood]
  IP Logged
Paul2

Second Hand Rose

Re: SE84C+ CKC White amp acquired
Reply #1 - 09/09/22 at 13:37:36

Hey Dom,

The C+ that you now have was in my main system for a few months.  The only reason it went to the sale block was that fate brought two SE84 UFO amps here within one week.

I was using the C+ with a CXNV2, ZROCK25th, CSP2.  The C+ replaced a Rachel that had developed hum issues and now is being upgraded.

What surprised me was that the C+ seemed to be more powerful than the Rachael.  How that works is beyond my small mind but it was noticeable.

As to the UFO upgrade I would suggest that you use it for a while before any changes.  In my opinion that is an excellent amp as it is.

That said, the UFO transformers are the real deal.

Enjoy the ride!

Roon Nucleus, Eversolo A6 ME, ZRock, CSP, SE84 UFO, TubeTots
Small treated room
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #2 - 09/09/22 at 13:39:11

I have had the 25th Anniversary mods with the Type 2 Jupiter caps added to a white topped CSP2+ along with the tube regulation mod and it TRANSFORMED the preamp, made it as good a preamp and headphone amp as my CSP3 with the 25th Anniversary mods. It was EXPENSIVE. . . but truly made it a fantastic component.

I've also had my Taboo Mk IV upgraded to the 25th Anniversary mods with the Type 2 Jupiter caps and it was a big improvement as well. The density of the sound (in a good way, a dense smooth analog way) is really something. And though it doesn't increase the power the drop in noise and the density made it seem more powerful--it fills a 36' by 30' room powering 92 db speakers with sound and doesn't run out of steam except with the most bass heavy video material.

You're looking at a big chunk of change for the warranty transfer and the upgrades but. . .it's an amp already in hand that you don't have a long waiting list experience to go through for, and it will be a real improvement in the sound.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #3 - 09/09/22 at 15:03:44

I bought my UFOs a couple of years ago with the upgraded cap and the bypass mod. So I obviously haven't done any upgrades, but they sound so good if it were me I would send yours in today. The sooner you get the work done the more time you will have to enjoy it. JMO/FWIW/YMMV and all that.

[FOOBAR2000 | Jay's CDT2 MRK3] -> Denafrips Terminator 2 + Gaia
Sumiko Pearwood -> Mapleknoll Athena -> Luxman SUT -> Maple-tree Phono 3E
Woo WA22 -> 2x UFO25s, balanced monos
Omega SAM , Hifiman Arya, Senn HD-650
  IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #4 - 09/09/22 at 17:02:08

Hey Paul….thanks for the info.   Ironically I was supposed to buy this amp from Lin back last year.  I was next in line for the amp and then  Lin told me your situation.  Well…I’m glad you got your two UFOs and I now have this beauty.  With my ZSB…I can switch between amps on the fly.  I’ll use my Torii MKIV 25th for when I want to really fill my new great room, and the little Zen for private listening jazz sessions and background music with my wife.  Plus… it will be fun to compare amps with different genres of music.

Lon… thanks for your input on the upgrades.  Everything I’ve read about the upgrades here on the form on other amps are considered the real deal so this doesn’t surprise me for the little Zen amp as well.  Yes having this amp in hand is a huge bonus.   With the ZROCK2 hopefully coming in the next several months from last year‘s purchase… I think it would be prudent to hold off on the upgrades to hear the transformation for myself once I add the ZROCK2 into the system.  I’ve got a nice handful of the AMPERX Holland pinched waist 7062 in stock, and from what you have said…is killer in the ZROCK2.  

CAJames….the little Zen has really impressed me.  I was very surprised on  how well it drives my ERR’s.  Minus the lack of headroom in comparison to my Torii, the Zen amp really just blooms with great sound.  I’ve only fired it up twice since it’s setup due to work commitments and lack of downtime… but I just a new tube set from Decware and a 8 to 4 pin adapter… I have my eyes on a Type 80 Globe… I have to give it whirl.  I know they are expensive…. But damn from what I have read so far….I need to experience the sound for myself.

I’m glad to be finally be back more regularly on the forum.. between my home renovation and a job promotion… my downtime this past year was scare.  

Dom

Rasp. Pi 4 [Roon], Schiit Bifrost True Multibit DAC, ZBIT, ZROCK2, My Audio Cables Ultra Silver+, ZSB, CSP2+ 25th, DAG Cables, DHC1, Torii MKIV 25th /2 White Zen SE84C+ 25th mono’s, Rega P2 Turntable,Rega Fono MK5, Velodyne Dual Firing Sub, ERR’s [Bubbinga Wood]
  IP Logged
HockessinKid
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 09/09/22 at 18:48:43

Hey Dom,

Welcome back to the forum. Congratulations on the home renovations and that promotion 👍. I hope your family is well and enjoying the house again.

I'd say wait to see what the ZRock can do in the chain before getting more dufications done. It also boils down to how much you listen to the SE84C+ vs. your main system with the Torii MKV.  The UFO transformers and caps will likely give you a more transparent sound.

I picked up a pair of Sennheiser 6XX on MassDrop a couple of years ago to listen through my CSP3+ preamp. Could have opted for more expensive, better sounding headphones but was unsure how much time I'd spend listening to the headphones. I maybe listen to them 2-3 times a month, so I'm glad I didn't spend more money.

HK

Nottingham Interspace TT w/ Audio Technica AT-OC9XML cart + Modwright PH 9.0XT phono OR Modwright modded Cambridge CNX V2 > CSP3-25th Ann. preamp > ZMA-25th Ann. amp > PI Audio UberBUSS > Caintuck Audio Lii15 Magnum speakers > Snake River Audio & ZenWave cables
  IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #6 - 09/10/22 at 00:09:48

Hey Roger,

Thanks.. yeah it’s nice t be back.  I’ve been back in the home for about 3 weeks now.  I still have a lot of unboxing to do, but we are all doing good and really enjoying the home.  I finally just got main system setup only a few days ago.  

With my place in que from last years order…. The ZROCK should be here by the end of the year.  Thanks for the advice…yes I think I need to see how often I will be using ZEN amp.  I was surprised how well it drove my ERR speakers.  A lot of times we play music is the background while cooking, so I can foresee the SE84C+ being utilized a good amount.  

My new space is definitely more of an acoustic nightmare… 18 ft vaulted ceilings, open floor plan, big bow window at the first reflection point…so needles to say I have a lot of room treatments to work on.  But the exploration is part of the fun.

Dom

IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #7 - 09/13/22 at 03:21:35

Guys…. Just a quick update.  I was only getting sound out of one channel, so I just assumed it was a bad tube that was a casualty of shipping.  

After a call to Decware…Sarah told me that my amp was actually wired up for mono.  Needless to say I decided to send it back to have it wired up for stereo and that it would be the perfect opportunity to have all the upgrades performed.  

The amp is now in transit as we speak…so now I’m in a holding pattern.

I’ll keep you posted once I get the amp back from the mothership.

Dom

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print