Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/23/24 at 17:52:07 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Denafrips Iris DDC & Ares II (Read 2632 times)
effluviography
Seasoned Member

Denafrips Iris DDC & Ares II
08/24/22 at 02:18:44

Hello all,

So, I've been listening to my new Denafrips Iris DDC connected to the Ares II via coaxial cable for the past few weeks. All I can say is that I do not feel the need to upgrade to the Pontus. While I'm sure that is a big upgrade, the changes wrought by the Iris are so good that I really, really like the sound of my digital side now.

A few thoughts. It takes 10 days to burn-in, per Alvin, and he is right. Sounded terrible the first two days. I left it on for another week and my goodness, it sounded A LOT better.

Using DH Labs D-750 0.5m cable. Also used a 1.5m Supra coax. Both sound very good. DH Labs provided more dynamics and resolution while the Supra is more musical and relaxed. I could live with either but prefer the extra resolution.

What does the Iris DDC do to the sound? Well, a bit of everything. It provides better resolution, better weight, better soundstage and a smoother, more musical feel. It sounds more analog but with incredible clarity. Smooth with texture is how I would characterize it (I know that sounds like a contradiction, but that's what it sounds like to me). When I removed the DDC from the system, the Ares II sounded so thin and sterile in comparison. It's funny that I liked the Ares so much by itself before but now it's hard to imagine it without the Iris. I can also listen at lower volumes and feel more satisfied by the overall sound now.

For $530, it is a considerable upgrade. Just give it time to burn in.

While it may not be a Pontus, I think those who are looking for a less expensive upgrade path will not be disappointed by this choice.

On a side note, I upgraded a Wireworld Ultraviolet USB cable to a Supra Excalibur USB - that was $150 really well spent.

Cheers - Scott

|| Mini-Torii & CSP-3 | Analog: ZP-3, Technics SL-1210GR & Ortofon 2m Black | Digital: Z-Box, Denafrips Ares 2, Iris DDC, Roon & Mac Mini | Omega CAM's & Deep-Hemp Sub | ZMF Atticus | 2x Emotiva CMX-6 | Decware Styx, Power & IC's | Supra Exc. USB | NOS Tubes ||
  IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Re: Denafrips Iris DDC & Ares II
Reply #1 - 08/24/22 at 14:52:50

Nice! Although I was initially skeptical about adding a DDC with a COAX connection, the more I read it seems like you are not alone in reporting big improvements.

I think Denafrips does a great job as far as delivering real performance improvements as you move up the ladder so I'll only say if you think you like digital now there is still plenty of room for more with a better DAC and an I2S connection to the Iris if you ever choose to do that.

[FOOBAR2000 | Jay's CDT2 MRK3] -> Denafrips Terminator 2 + Gaia
Sumiko Pearwood -> Mapleknoll Athena -> Luxman SUT -> Maple-tree Phono 3E
Woo WA22 -> 2x UFO25s, balanced monos
Omega SAM , Hifiman Arya, Senn HD-650
  IP Logged
effluviography
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 08/27/22 at 12:08:53

I agree, Denafrips is the real deal. Good DACs up and down the line and the DDC lineup seems to be a strong addition.

There may or may not be a Pontus in the future, but so far so good.

If anyone is on the fence about Denafrips, the Ares 2 or the Iris DDC, I give them all a firm recommendation. Great stuff for lots of different budgets.

Cheers - Scott

|| Mini-Torii & CSP-3 | Analog: ZP-3, Technics SL-1210GR & Ortofon 2m Black | Digital: Z-Box, Denafrips Ares 2, Iris DDC, Roon & Mac Mini | Omega CAM's & Deep-Hemp Sub | ZMF Atticus | 2x Emotiva CMX-6 | Decware Styx, Power & IC's | Supra Exc. USB | NOS Tubes ||
  IP Logged
Tony
Seasoned Member

"Life without
..music is
inconceivable"
A.Einsteln

Reply #3 - 04/29/23 at 18:48:00

For several reasons, I decided a couple of years ago that my primary music source would be streaming. To that end, I will consider anything that might contribute to or improve that option. For example, switching to Qobuz and using a fiber Media Converter to remove network noise helped - thumbs up.

Over time, I have found some changes that improved the overall sound in my system. Most changes were incremental, bumping SQ in a direction that I liked. A few changes were remarkable. Replacing the speaker wire with Decware's ZSTYX speaker cable made a big difference. Adding the Omega SAHOM speakers was huge. My latest addition falls into that remarkable category: Denafrips Gaia digital to digital converter.

Since I already had the Pontus II, I initially minimized the value of adding another component, like the Gaia. From what I had read, "adding a digital-to-digital converter (DDC) to your digital audio system can potentially improve the sound quality by reducing jitter and providing a cleaner digital signal to your digital-to-analog converter (DAC)." "Jitter " refers to the irregularity or variation in the audio data's timing as transmitted over the network.

If you had asked me before adding Gaia if I had a jitter problem, I would have said I don't think so. How would I know? It reminds me of when I was a kid and got my first pair of eyeglasses. I was unaware of the detail, colors, and contrasts I had missed before getting glasses. Once experienced, however, it changed everything, and there is no going back.

If you are considering adding a DDC to your system to improve SQ for streaming, go for it. Of course, YMMV, but my results were remarkable from this single-subject case.

SE84UFO25 | Ic0n4 Passive Preamp | ZBIT | Cambr. CXNv2 | Denafrips Pontus II | Denafrips Gaia | Decware I/Cs | Decware Pwr Cbls | ZWIRE Speaker Cbls | Omega SAHOM & KEF KC62 | Furman Cond l GIK Room Trmt
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print