Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/25/24 at 21:51:06 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Looking for DAC Recommendations (Read 3901 times)
Mannytheseacow
Ex Member

Looking for DAC Recommendations
08/19/22 at 15:34:11

Im looking to upgrade my DAC and there are a lot of options out there. I have some specific needs and wondering if anyone can recommend from their own listening experience.
The needs are as follows:
Digital ins and outs
RCA out
I don’t have a home network so it must be Wi-Fi compatible
Bluetooth compatible is preferred too.
The Cambridge CXN V2 seems to check all these boxes but I don’t want to do the modright mod. Does it sound good without the mod?
I read in a recent thread that Steve did a firmware update to his Cambridge and now it sucks. And he is still using a different DAC with the Cambridge to go from digital to analog?
I prefer to keep things simple, as in, one device that can connect to Wi-Fi and stream directly to the RCA in on my zkit. Anybody heard a killer DAC that does all these things?

IP Logged
Tony
Seasoned Member

"Life without
..music is
inconceivable"
A.Einsteln

Re: Looking for DAC Recommendations
Reply #1 - 08/19/22 at 16:34:05

Hi Manny,

I have two Cambridge CXNv2 units, one upstairs and one down.  I highly recommend it.  Initially, I used it as a streamer and DAC.  I liked that setup but replaced the Cambridge DAC with Denefrips.  Denefrips was a big step up in improved SQ.

SE84UFO25 | Ic0n4 Passive Preamp | ZBIT | Cambr. CXNv2 | Denafrips Pontus II | Denafrips Gaia | Decware I/Cs | Decware Pwr Cbls | ZWIRE Speaker Cbls | Omega SAHOM & KEF KC62 | Furman Cond l GIK Room Trmt
  IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 08/19/22 at 17:30:42

My CXNv2 uses the digital output from the CD player, a memory card for stored music, unbalanced outputs to feed another amp in my shop, digital out to feed the Stokes DAC hooked to a SE84 Decware clone and WiFi for streaming services over the internet. My unit also received an update recently automatically. There may be a way to shut off automatic updates in settings?

Anyhow, most CXNv2 use is centered around the CD player and memory card. I do not subscribe to streaming services in warmer months. With the formentioned sources there seems to be no degradation of the signal even after the firmware upgrade.

The Modwright mod will improve the internal analog section of the CXNv2 greatly. The stock analog is just OK. The mod also beefs up the digital power supply which may help. I've noticed a very slight difference when inserting the CD player in the CXNv2 as compared to a direct connection to Stokes DAC. So slight that it really is not a degrade just a bit different. Same with a memory card playing flac files as compared to CDs. I like the setup as is. Simplicity at it's finest Smiley

AMC CD8b>XO3>Cambridge CXN2>ZDAC>ZBOX>braided silver/occ> Zrock2>CSP2+>SE84 milflex copper 25th>9AWG silver/copper braid>lii Crystal 10 in Huijgen cabinets. Ortofon 2M Black>JVC QL-F4/Otari MX5050B2>ZP3. Isolation. AC filtering. Room treatment.
  IP Logged
Mannytheseacow
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 08/19/22 at 19:08:47

Thanks for that input, guys.  It seems there are a lot of reasons to go with the Cambridge, I just wish it was up to snuff as a stand-alone device and didn't require a separate DAC to sound great.

My motivation for this is to replace two lower quality units that I've been using.  One has the RCA outs so it works with my zkit, but doesn't have digital outs.  The other has digital outs that I was using with my Hegel amp as well as link my cd/dvd to a tv, but I sold the Hegel so now that device is useless to me because it doesn't have RCAs...  and neither of these devices sound great...  

Although I have a legacy collection of cds and vinyl, I pretty much just stream music these days b/c it is so readily available, and now video streaming live performances is just the icing on the cake. But I would like to keep the options open for the occasional cd/dvd, vinyl, and classical/jazz analog radio station.  I would just really love to have one device that could do all these things and still showcase the decware sound and maintain the Zen simplicity.

IP Logged
Tony
Seasoned Member

"Life without
..music is
inconceivable"
A.Einsteln

Reply #4 - 08/19/22 at 22:06:27

Here's an idea.  Focus on the DAC first.  I have the Denefrips Aris II and the Pontus II and am pleased with both, with higher marks for the Pontus.  Then find a streamer that connects via the I2S port on the Pontus.  I have read that connection provides the best interlink between the two.  You might be able to save some on the Cambridge and get the benefits of the  I2S, if there is a streamer that meets that description.    The Ares 2 does not support that  I2S port, however.

SE84UFO25 | Ic0n4 Passive Preamp | ZBIT | Cambr. CXNv2 | Denafrips Pontus II | Denafrips Gaia | Decware I/Cs | Decware Pwr Cbls | ZWIRE Speaker Cbls | Omega SAHOM & KEF KC62 | Furman Cond l GIK Room Trmt
  IP Logged
ChrisC

Reply #5 - 08/20/22 at 23:12:48

FWIW I was running a stock CXN V2 for the last year and was very satisfied with it as both streamer and DAC.  About 2 weeks ago I received it back from Dan w/the ModWright mods; because of course I couldn't help myself.  Too soon to say if it was 'worth it', but SQ so far has been better.  Probably like a lot of things, whatever you get next will be the best you've heard, until you upgrade something else.....

Cheers,

ChrisC

Smiley

CXC, CXN (MWI), ZROCK2, Aric Audio Unlimited, Rachael, Omega CAMs
  IP Logged
Mannytheseacow
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 08/20/22 at 23:30:14

Thanks for that input, Chris. Well that’s 3 for 3 on the Cambridge. Tony, I like that idea of focusing on the DAC first but I really want to have one device that accomplishes everything. I may end up down that road of adding a Denafrips DAC. I’m not as concerned about cost as much as simplifying the signal path and number of devices. I’ve been looking at other streamers and it doesn’t seem like there is anything else out there that checks all the boxes like the CXN V2. I could DIY some chip boards I suppose, and tie together a nice DAC, i2s, wifi, Bluetooth, etc., but I would probably be at the same cost as the CXN (though gaining i2s) and probably a lot of frustration along the way.

I’m not in a rush to buy anything so I may continue to wait a few weeks and see if anything else surfaces.

IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 08/21/22 at 11:47:05

I have held off getting the Modwright mods because of the current setup of my system. It is nice to know that that mod is available when the inevitable downsizing occurs. You know, trade in the 4 bedroom, 4 bath white elephant to a 2 bedroom low maintenance condo.

AMC CD8b>XO3>Cambridge CXN2>ZDAC>ZBOX>braided silver/occ> Zrock2>CSP2+>SE84 milflex copper 25th>9AWG silver/copper braid>lii Crystal 10 in Huijgen cabinets. Ortofon 2M Black>JVC QL-F4/Otari MX5050B2>ZP3. Isolation. AC filtering. Room treatment.
  IP Logged
Morph
Verified Member

Reply #8 - 08/21/22 at 12:30:13

Hi JBzen

I’ve also heard that the Cambridge is excellent.  I’ve been running an Auralic G1 streaming DAC which is excellent also.  However, I’ve just also purchased a NAD C 658 which like the others is a streaming DAC but also has Dirac room correction and also seperate sub outputs.  It allows you to low pass/high pass your speakers and subs.  It’s about the same price as the Cambridge I think.

I’ve only had it for a few days but initial impressions are that it beats the Auralic with the Dirac room correction on.  The Auralic is a touch livelier, but only just.  The NAD sounds very good and with the Dirac turned on, even in my quite heavily treated room, there’s more clarity, staging and harmony to the music.

Another option for you.

IP Logged
Mannytheseacow
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 08/29/22 at 01:48:03

Thanks for that tip, Morph. The Auralic and NAD both have some nice features but don’t have all the things I need.
I ended up throwing a low-ball bid on a CXN V2 on eBay and won it. Looking forward to checking it out when it arrives.

IP Logged
Mannytheseacow
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 09/07/22 at 20:49:38

Thanks for the advice, everybody.  I've got about 50 hours on the CXN V2 now and really loving the SQ improvement.  It really has checked all the boxes for me, it handles all my ins and outs, sounds amazing, and is easy enough my wife can airplay to it.  Winner.

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #11 - 09/08/22 at 19:04:32

Yes, I did allude to that possibility.  I was having one of those "everything sounds like crap" moments and the timing of it was shortly after the CXNv2 had a firmware update.  I didn't worry too much about it because even if it were the update that was responsible, I was certain it would be quickly followed with another update.   Anyway, I am still using them both since that time with no further issues so it was apparently me and not the DAC.

Here is a link to the unit on Amazon:  https://amzn.to/3TVVZgo

I have two in our listening room, one at each end.  It eliminates the computer and the USB cable. It can use WIFI to run wireless.  The unit can be controlled directly with your computer, tablet, or phone.  It also has a remote control with volume feature that many of our customers like.  And it shows a picture of what is playing on the front panel.  We like the way this unit sounds over many more expensive DACs.

I have also found these units on eBay that claim to be refurbished by Cambridge.

-Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Tony
Seasoned Member

"Life without
..music is
inconceivable"
A.Einsteln

Reply #12 - 09/08/22 at 21:24:27

Hi Manny,

I missed your initial reference to the CXNv2 until now, and glad to hear you like it.  I have two - purchased as refurbished units on eBay, as Steve mentioned.  Both function perfectly, so they were a good deal.

Enjoy!

IP Logged
tempest62
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 09/11/22 at 19:40:04

Here’s one for $900 at usaudiomart:

https://www.usaudiomart.com/details/649896400-cambridge-audio-cxn-v2-network-aud...

I was able to pressure a seller there down to $700 for one about 8 mos. ago. It’s in my second system.

IP Logged
ChrisC

Reply #14 - 09/11/22 at 23:14:18

and here's one with the MWI mods.... no relationship to the seller so no endorsement

https://www.usaudiomart.com/details/649896214-cambridge-audio-cxn-v2-modwright-i...

CXC, CXN (MWI), ZROCK2, Aric Audio Unlimited, Rachael, Omega CAMs
  IP Logged
TMB
Verified Member

Reply #15 - 02/19/23 at 19:57:11

Anyone running a NAD C 700 as a DAC/Preamp combo into their Decware amp? Seems like a good option for an all in one...

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #16 - 02/20/23 at 15:05:40

Quote:
osted by: TMB      Posted on: Yesterday at 11:57:11
Anyone running a NAD C 700 as a DAC/Preamp combo into their Decware amp? Seems like a good option for an all in one...

Unless I'm missing something the NAD is an integrated amp. I don't know why you'd pay for a streamer with a built in power amp if you were only going to use the preamp outs.

...Unless you already own it and you like the OS, in which case I guess it doesn't matter.

[FOOBAR2000 | Jay's CDT2 MRK3] -> Denafrips Terminator 2 + Gaia
Sumiko Pearwood -> Mapleknoll Athena -> Luxman SUT -> Maple-tree Phono 3E
Woo WA22 -> 2x UFO25s, balanced monos
Omega SAM , Hifiman Arya, Senn HD-650
  IP Logged
TMB
Verified Member

Reply #17 - 02/20/23 at 20:04:17

CAJames, it's really not that silly. If you are trying to create a system with the fewest quality components. The advantage of the NAD C 700 is that it combines two components into one at a reasonable price point. The NAD appears to have the similar capabilities as the Cambridge CXN V2 that I am also looking at. So the key feature that I'm interested in is the DAC but I wanted to know if anyone uses it for a preamp to their Decware. I guess there are few reasons I am leaning towards it as my DAC streamer component:

1) Input variety
2) Simplicity
3) Compactness of the overall system
4) Similar price point of the Cambridge CXN V2
5) The ability to use the NAD to break-in speakers instead of the Decware
6) The NAD would allow me to reduce the Decware SE34I.6 to one input so I can have two volume controls for balance.

I wouldn't have asked the question if I owned it.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print