Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/23/24 at 22:52:44 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Upgrading an older SE84? (Read 6339 times)
Sean
Seasoned Member

Upgrading an older SE84?
07/19/22 at 17:20:45

Before bothering someone at the mothership with a phone call, I thought maybe someone here might know the answer.

I have a SE84C-EX with a bit of fuzzy history. Looks like it may have been an intl model that was sent back for US transformers in '07. I really like the amp, but also have a big "fear of missing out" bug. I'm being honest with myself, the waitlist just isn't for me. I've been watching the used market and it's very sparse and sometimes very EXPENSIVE. A base model new SE84UFO just sold on ebay yesterday for $2050! Time = money. Then again, a 1yr old UFO with a crap load of extras sold on audiomart for $1150.

Anyhow, my question is if the transformers can be upgraded AND a second input installed? If anyone knows I'd appreciate it, if not I'll give them a call. Thanks!

Technics 1210G, AT OC9III, Cinemag 1254 SUT, ZP3, CSP2+, SE84UFO, Tekton Pendragon

Schiit Bifrost, Mac Mini, Roon
  IP Logged
Sean
Seasoned Member

Re: Upgrading an older SE84?
Reply #1 - 07/20/22 at 15:03:33

Upgrading the ol C-EX might take a back seat now...there's a SE84UFO w/ 25th mods being sent my way!!!

Technics 1210G, AT OC9III, Cinemag 1254 SUT, ZP3, CSP2+, SE84UFO, Tekton Pendragon

IP Logged
Earthbound
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 07/20/22 at 16:21:26

Awesome. Did you order from Decware or buy from someone? Perhaps still send the other in and have it upgraded. Always nice to have an extra!

IP Logged
Sean
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 07/20/22 at 18:31:48

Found it on Audiogon. I just couldn’t handle the wait time on a new unit, I have listening to do now! Once I get the new one I’ll likely send it in for check up/transfer. Then maybe the older unit. After all that settles, I have an idea or two about what I’d like to order and join the waitlist.

IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 07/20/22 at 18:58:43

Quick change.  And I agree with EB.

Nice, Sean!  I was hoping to see this thread unfold a bit more. I have similar questions.

'grats on new gear!
Smiley

SE84Cs Mono'ed, Lii Audio F15 OB, W15 "H" Frame Subwoofer, McIntosh MC2500, Lazarus Pre, Dual TT, Ortofon, Kleenline Iso Power, Revox, Crown R-R, Pioneer Elite Digital Source
  IP Logged
Earthbound
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 07/20/22 at 19:04:39

Good for you Sean! Can’t wait to hear what you think of the new amp and what you may be ordering. 👍

IP Logged
Sean
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 07/21/22 at 01:58:59

Thanks! Looks like Monday delivery.

Future order will likely include a ZP3 and ZMC. As far as amps go, maybe a UFO25. Next week after the new amp arrives maybe that all changes  :D

I'll post an update with what I find out about updating the C-EX.

IP Logged
Earthbound
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 07/21/22 at 15:04:52

It’s going to be a long weekend! Lol  The wait will be worth it I’m sure.

IP Logged
Sean
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 07/21/22 at 16:13:17

The seller packed the tubes separately which is the way to go. For some reason the amp went UPS and the tubes USPS...the amp is now about 40 miles away from here and the tubes are still 360 miles away. Oh the humanity of having the amp on Friday and no tubes til Monday! Good 1st world problems to have, not complaining at all. Already have a busy weekend of work and the Pittsburgh Vintage Gran Prix is going on all weekend.

IP Logged
Earthbound
Seasoned Member

Reply #9 - 07/21/22 at 18:50:55

Are you attending the event? Great to see those vintage cars in action.

IP Logged
Sean
Seasoned Member

Reply #10 - 07/21/22 at 19:43:18

I hope to spend some time down there. My son is almost 5 and is a budding gear head so this is a great place to take him to "see the cars dad watches on youtube". I love it when he points out cars while we're driving. Temps are going to hit the low 90's the next couple of days, not sure how much of that he'll be able to handle.

IP Logged
Earthbound
Seasoned Member

Reply #11 - 07/21/22 at 20:00:33

Great that he has an interest in cars. That’s a fun age. Well I hope you can manage it for a little while with the little guy!

IP Logged
Sean
Seasoned Member

Reply #12 - 07/22/22 at 16:19:40

Amp and tubes are both scheduled for delivery today!

I called Decware yesterday. I was told to point the upgrade question to Steve. He's currently on vacation and I bet when he gets back he'll be under a mountain of emails and voicemails for a few days so this question may take awhile to answer.

IP Logged
Earthbound
Seasoned Member

Reply #13 - 07/22/22 at 18:22:18

Congratulations. What’s nice is the amp is broken in(I think). Are the tubes new. You should get the true feel of the amp very quickly. Keep us posted.

IP Logged
Kahuna Jack
Seasoned Member

Reply #14 - 07/22/22 at 18:36:23

I was pondering the opposite , there are 2 pair of early se84's within buying distance to me, an early gray pair and a cs pair . Since I already have recent models maybe I should experience early Decware sound. They could have a special magic all of their own ?? In the past I've enjoyed stock Dyna ST70's as much as modded up versions. Different flavors .

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #15 - 07/22/22 at 19:48:15

In my experience the big difference between the "basic" earlier models and the newer is the UFO transformers. These transformers are . . . transformative (I couldn't resist, but it's the best word). I would go for one with the UFO!

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Sean
Seasoned Member

Reply #16 - 07/22/22 at 23:30:29

Lon, I believe I read those same words from you in older posts as I’ve been reading up here and elsewhere. It planted the seed to seek out a UFO amp.

Kahuna, I know what you’re saying. Sometimes, there’s magic or a “presence” in earlier iterations of things. Sometimes new advancements improve what some like and leave others wondering why change a great thing.

It’s going to be a few hours before I can crack the boxes open and hook things up for a listen. I think I’m going to use the tubes I’m currently using first as they’re what I keep coming back to. Get a feel for things and then maybe roll the included tubes and see what happens. Here’s what came with the amp: RCA 5U4G rectifier, a Sentinel 5U4G rectifier, and a GE 5Z3 rectifier (adapter included), stock output tubes, a Reflector 6H23P-EB/6922. I’m currently using a Raytheon 5u4gb, 6P15P-EB output and 6n1p-ev input. I have a few other rectifiers and an Amperex 6922. If I don’t update later, it may be due to my face melting!

IP Logged
Sean
Seasoned Member

Reply #17 - 07/23/22 at 15:29:22

I don't want to be the guy who gets a new toy, jumps for joy, hits the forums and says, "it's the best thing ever", etc  after one night of listening...but...well let's just say I'm happy.

To get the best comparison I simply moved the tubes over to the new amp and didn't change anything else. First impressions are the "speed" is about the same, but the impact of that speed is improved. It "seems" the new amp has more power and smoother volume control. My tiny brain kept thinking, "horsepower sells cars, torque wins races". The UFO has more torque over the C-EX. The biggest thing I like about my entire Decware experience, so far, is neither of these amps make the music sound "amplified", instead it's just effortless, floating,  flowing. It was not easy to turn everything off last night!

IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #18 - 07/23/22 at 15:43:20

Quote:
The biggest thing I like about my entire Decware experience, so far, is neither of these amps make the music sound "amplified", instead it's just effortless, floating,  flowing.

Exactly!

Did you get to the "Burg for the Vintage Grand Prix?

John

AMC CD8b>XO3>Cambridge CXN2>ZDAC>ZBOX>braided silver/occ> Zrock2>CSP2+>SE84 milflex copper 25th>9AWG silver/copper braid>lii Crystal 10 in Huijgen cabinets. Ortofon 2M Black>JVC QL-F4/Otari MX5050B2>ZP3. Isolation. AC filtering. Room treatment.
  IP Logged
Sean
Seasoned Member

Reply #19 - 07/25/22 at 02:01:52

Never made it down to the Grand Prix. Rain chased everyone out yesterday, it was crazy hot outside today and the family didn’t want to go. So I stayed inside and reworked my equipment rack and cleaned up.

IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #20 - 07/25/22 at 10:07:09

Yeah those storms were wicked. I was going to ride down for the qualifiers saturday but one look at the radar changed that. Had other plans for race day already set. Next year!

AMC CD8b>XO3>Cambridge CXN2>ZDAC>ZBOX>braided silver/occ> Zrock2>CSP2+>SE84 milflex copper 25th>9AWG silver/copper braid>lii Crystal 10 in Huijgen cabinets. Ortofon 2M Black>JVC QL-F4/Otari MX5050B2>ZP3. Isolation. AC filtering. Room treatment.
  IP Logged
Earthbound
Seasoned Member

Reply #21 - 07/25/22 at 15:25:05

Great to hear you’re enjoying the new amp Sean.

IP Logged
Sean
Seasoned Member

Reply #22 - 07/27/22 at 02:51:13

JB, you live near Pittsburgh? I'm about 15 miles south of the city. Definitely not going to miss the GP next year.

IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #23 - 07/27/22 at 14:55:25

20 miles ESE of Pittsburgh. I often ride the Great Allegheny Passage to the burg. Have time now to catch all the attractions missed over the years. We should get together some time and chew over Decware.

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #24 - 07/27/22 at 17:07:29

I used to race motorcycles in Steubenville Ohio, just west of Pittsburgh.

It was always wet and rocky there.

Owner of the infamous RED TORII and Dan the Redheaded Amp
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #25 - 07/27/22 at 17:46:07

I haven't been to Steubenville since the 'seventies. It was wet and rocky then too.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #26 - 07/28/22 at 10:49:43

Yep we suffer from being under the weather more than most across US but on the sunny bright days there are some amazing views.
On SR 22 from Pittsburgh going into Steubenville the bridge crossing the Ohio river is pleasing architecture to behold. While traveling into Pittsburgh from Steubenville on that same road passing thru the Fort Pitt tunnel, an unforgettable view of the city unfolds while crossing the confluence of the Ohio, Allegheny, and Monongahela rivers.
We have a yearly family get together near Canton Ohio that takes about 2 hours travel time using the turnpike system. I always opt to take a 3 hour ride to and from using the 22 route for the shear beauty along the route!

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #27 - 07/28/22 at 10:58:21

I was born in Canton, and my parents are from Louisville, near Canton. Ohio is a beautiful state--I live up in the hills in a forest basically, and I have never lived in a more soul-nourishing place. As I'm retired the winter doesn't bother me much--I get the cars ready and the driveway ready and my wife off to work and I am much less stressed by the weather than I was when I was younger living here and working. I hope I don't have to move again ever! My one big wish is for a garage. . .maybe someday.

IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #28 - 07/28/22 at 11:22:23

One of the advantages of being retired is when it snows there is no need to shovel snow in the driveway being we are both retired.
This video of the Fort Pitt tunnel arrival in Pittsburgh reminds me of my first visit to the Grand Canyon in Arizona - one needs to be there in person for the awesomeness of the experience.

https://www.facebook.com/eddie.lauten/videos/1127700197962048/

IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #29 - 07/28/22 at 11:32:20

And the Veterans bridge crossing the Ohio river in Steubenville.

https://images.app.goo.gl/DE1LLnnmjrgLmzF29

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #30 - 07/28/22 at 11:35:33

Lovely!

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #31 - 07/28/22 at 11:41:54

I crossed that bridge once just to look at it.

My main memory of Steubenville is getting off of work at midnight, jumping into my van, driving all night to get there in the morning, racing my motorcycle all day, then driving home and getting back about 3 in the morning. I was tired!

Racing motorcycles was always fueled by enthusiasm.

Owner of the infamous RED TORII and Dan the Redheaded Amp
  IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #32 - 07/28/22 at 11:55:28

Yes, Donnie. Reminds me of trips to Daytona Flordia in my heyday. Get off work a 4pm try to get a few hours sleep then drive the 1000 miles straight(55 mph speed limit during the oil embargo on interstates and some of 95 still not completed back in the early 70s) into Dayton and crash on the beach. The good old days.

Lon the only forest in Ohio that I can think of is Cuyahoga National. You near there?

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #33 - 07/28/22 at 12:47:06

Old DD, I am about 33 or so miles from that forest.

I live in a sparsely housed hilly neighborhood full of trees, but my house is directly across a narrow road from a state wildlife preserve, which is basically acres and acres of forest full of deer, turkey, owls, hawks, ground hogs and in years past bear were spotted. It's in Munson Township in Geauga County. Our home is an expanded cabin first built in 1918, small, but nice.

IP Logged
Sean
Seasoned Member

Reply #34 - 07/29/22 at 01:38:46

Been a few days, a rough few days. Lost my best friend suddenly and unexpectedly Tuesday night. 35 yrs of cars and music. Trying my damnedest to keep it together and be there for his wife and kids.

That said, Steubenville did a commercial a few years back...burb of the burgh...burb of the burgh. Goofy little jingle.

The view of the Pittsburgh coming out of the tunnel is something I haven't found anywhere else. Living here all of my 50 yrs and it nevers gets old. However, the traffic going into the tunnel is usually horrendous. Then as you're looking at the beautiful skyline you have THREE seconds to decide which of four ways you want to go and get one of those four lanes, it's pure chaos!

JB, I live in Bethel Park. Definitely should get together. I'll have a better schedule once the kids are back in school.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #35 - 07/29/22 at 01:55:36

Sorry to hear of your friend's passing. I hope for the best for you and his family.

IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #36 - 07/29/22 at 11:25:43

Quote:
pure chaos

I forgot about that part of the experience! Probably because I usally head east off the bridge.

Sorry to hear of your loss Sean.

John

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print