Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/26/24 at 17:29:09 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Omega Deep Hemp 8 Subwoofer setup (Read 2477 times)
kulafu
Seasoned Member

Omega Deep Hemp 8 Subwoofer setup
07/05/22 at 00:59:20

I might be interested in someone selling these locally but wanted to query any owners on how they are hooked to any Decware amp.  I have had no luck finding an owner's manual.  In looking at the photos, there is a high level and low level input/ouput.  Which is better?  And what is the difference?
Bob

Omega SAMS,Altec 604 8K, Liionidas Silver 10/W-15,UFO25th/Cary SET Monos/Torii Jr,CSP3 25th Holo May KTE ,HQP/USB/Pulse/EtherRegen, Roon/Thorens 1600(Decware ICs, speaker wires/Equi=Core 1800, SFDBs and future STR-1002)
  IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Re: Omega Deep Hemp 8 Subwoofer setup
Reply #1 - 07/05/22 at 01:43:56

Hey Bob,

Seems many hard core audiophile sub users prefer speaker level out. The sub signal is then the same signal from the amp as the speakers are getting, so the sub sound is also influenced by the amp sound. Potentially this can give more complete integration between sub and speakers. Also, with a lot of Decware amps, that is the easy choice... You just run another set of speaker cables off the binding posts to the sub, and tune the sub to sound right...

All Modified: PSA-P5>DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender>RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro/ZBIT/CSP3>OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV>Omega S-A-H-O monitors/SVS Micro3000>Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 07/05/22 at 05:41:34

Will is 100% correct in that his description is the best way to go.

But we have not yet answered the "difference" question you asked.

The difference between the two approaches is hard to explain without using a lot of words.  As briefly as possible ...

Understand that using the Low Level from your source to your subwoofer amplifier and a second Low Level connection from your source to your main amplifier, in effect, seperates your subwoofer amplifier from your main amplifier, leaving each on its own, making it more difficult for them to work together in many cases.

Using the Low Level only from your source to your main amplifier, then the speaker output from your main amplifier to your subwoofer amplifier High Level input ties the two together in a way that makes it easier to integrate the two systems into one coherent system.

I hope that helps with the second  "difference"  question.

The way Will describes it is the way it works best.

Let us know how the Omega subwoofers work out.

SE84Cs Mono'ed, Lii Audio F15 OB, W15 "H" Frame Subwoofer, McIntosh MC2500, Lazarus Pre, Dual TT, Ortofon, Kleenline Iso Power, Revox, Crown R-R, Pioneer Elite Digital Source
  IP Logged
kulafu
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 07/05/22 at 11:39:25

Will and Same Old DD, thanks and you guys rock!  I am actually looking at a pair for the price of one which are 2-3 years old.
Bob

Omega SAMS,Altec 604 8K, Liionidas Silver 10/W-15,UFO25th/Cary SET Monos/Torii Jr,CSP3 25th Holo May KTE ,HQP/USB/Pulse/EtherRegen, Roon/Thorens 1600(Decware ICs, speaker wires/Equi=Core 1800, SFDBs and future STR-1002)
  IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 07/24/22 at 14:15:11

So, did you buy these?
Do you have them up and running?

SE84Cs Mono'ed, Lii Audio F15 OB, W15 "H" Frame Subwoofer, McIntosh MC2500, Lazarus Pre, Dual TT, Ortofon, Kleenline Iso Power, Revox, Crown R-R, Pioneer Elite Digital Source
  IP Logged
kulafu
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 07/24/22 at 14:26:01

I did.  Picked them this past friday so have yet to set them up.  I will some time this week.
Bob

IP Logged
Earthbound
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 07/24/22 at 14:55:31

Congratulations Kulafu. I have looked into those. They get nice reviews. I hope you enjoy.
I’m glad you asked this question. I had the same question and currently have Upscale Audio looking into it for me. My other concern is the Dual Mono aspect of some Decware amps, like the mk5 I ordered. I’m not sure you can use the speaker posts in this case, which Upscale suggest like members mentioned above. It can also limit the numbers of subs used. I may be only able to use the mono out on the csp3 as my sub out, limiting me to one sub.
Don’t mean to hijack thread. Am currently researching the Rel s/510.

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 07/24/22 at 19:25:12

The single mono integration of the Torii makes it act like a stereo amp as we listen and set it up. The MKV dual volume pots give you a shorter signal path, and the ability to fine tune system/room right/left balances between channels. But previous stock Toriis the V design evolved from had an integrated stereo attenuator. And they all have right and left binding posts just like any stereo amp as far as speaker level out to a sub setup is concerned.

I am playing with a SVS 1000pro sub right now, wanting to try it because it was pretty low cost, great return policy, and mostly, it has a bluetooth/phone app for adjusting sub parameters from anywhere in the room. This sub has speaker level posts and line level inputs.

And I have not had a sub in forever, so not close to an expert, but here are some working ideas from using a single sub.

I ran + and - from the right side Torii posts to the speaker level ins on the right "sub channel," and just the + wire from the left Torii channel to the left + on the sub. Off hand, this single ground connection seems to be enough with this current setup.  

I had heard from a serious audio buddy that fine tunablity of phase, volume, bass slope and frequency, etc, from "the seat" could be revelatory for getting the best system/sub integration and therefore the best sound enhancement from a sub. For me this fine tuning has been a learning curve. But I have grown more familiar with the balances that make bass and how bass mixes in the whole as I go. So learning to better adjust the parameters of bass complexity for the best sound balances while seeking for bass to transparently blend across recordings.

It appears to me these adjustments are not just working the sub, but also working with the sub to balance time and tonal issues of the room when all is just so? In my system, the bass is deeper and a bit more articulate while not sounding like it is coming from the sub. Nor does it overwhelm the mids, my goal anyway, and I seem to be getting close across recordings now. This is taking a lot of experiments for me to get somewhat of a handle on, but it is getting clearer, and in some musical ways, showing potential for some pretty nice refinements. Not night and day in this pretty tuned  system/room that already had good bass in balance with the rest, but compelling.

I am thinking the right settings may be contributing to mitigating some room bass mode tendencies that can build up with muddle. I imagine this because with some settings where the bass time seems most clear and right, it also seems it may mysteriously clarify the mids with more complexity and space...so who knows what is going on with all those interactive frequency patterns and partial to heavy cancellations and enhancements from the room, but it seems like something!

Still not sure about this particular sub sound, still exploring better discernment of what is happening with tuning, but it is getting pretty nice. And in this system/room I would not have called integration to the levels I am after super easy so far, but I really did have nicely tuned bass before, so full integration may be trickier. My speakers and room already went low with relatively real sounding speed and tone, having been working on everything to get the balances refined for many years. So for helping integrate this sub sound into such careful balances across recordings I think the fine adjustments of this sub are really good for me. Also, as I learn to hear what everything does, and how those adjustments effect each other, it is getting easier to adjust, learning more the "language" of bass more. If I can continue to make it disappear consistently, while improving the whole some, I will be inclined to keep it.

I have never had dual subs, but if I had two, thinking out loud, I imagine you might somehow hook the right amp out posts to the right sub, and the left amp outs to the left sub... Don't know, but there is bound to be a lot out there on the best hookup schemes if more knowledgable folks do not answer here... and not talking about "boom boom" schemes for bass, but more pure musical integration ones. It does seem this signal level sub wiring is supposed to just get the signal to the sub amp also (at least based on what I read in minimal research), and the sub amp amplifies it. So I would imagine you could run multiple sub wires from a single pair of binding posts if you had a lot of subs, or maybe daisy chain them??? I would also imagine you might be able to run the sub signal wires from the speaker binding posts if more convenient??? I have not tested this or checked for possible sound differences, but guessing it might work, so perhaps worth researching a little.

Hopefully someone who has experience with this dual or more sub thing will comment on these things.

All Modified: PSA-P5>DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender>RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro/ZBIT/CSP3>OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV>Omega S-A-H-O monitors/SVS Micro3000>Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
Earthbound
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 07/24/22 at 22:12:17

Thanks Will. I know using 2 isn’t an issue, just not sure of the one. Rel will get back to me Tuesday. I always had a sub with smaller 2 way speakers, 25 years actually. Now, with the Zu Soul Supremes I thought I may be able to live without one. Apparently they have a very A shaped sound curve and the bass is there but in the periphery. Research has revealed that 2 subs is recommended in most cases.
At the price of the Rel s/510, I’m not doing 2. But, I could do 2 t/9x’s instead. I’m sure they are many levels above the Velodyne I used for 25 years. The more reviews one reads the more you want the next level up, s/510. Faster, cleaner, etc….
I did look at the svs subs as well. Read nice things. I’m looking at Rel due to good reviews like the SVS but also the shop I deal with carries them.
I also have read that a sub has an affect on the mid range. That was a factor for me starting to think about a sub again. The Zu’s are quite forward in the mid range and a couple of well known You Tube reviewers that like Zu, both state that subs really balance the sound. It certainly could be an auditory thing but it’s been mentioned that it could be changing the output of the mid and high. I guess it doesn’t really matter how if it sounds “better”.
Keep us posted how you make out with the SVS experiment.

IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #9 - 07/24/22 at 23:17:11

Hi, Will, as always your interpretations are very insightful.
You bring up as many questions as you answer, as always, and I know I enjoy that particularly fine comb assessment that you do.

I have only rarely used a single subwoofer in a two channel system and never thought it was adequate in regards to blending well.
Even back when everyone selling the sat systems were trying to get everyone to believe that you can't tell the difference because "bass" is omnidirectional, it never worked for me.
I disagree about our inability to hear directionality down to a high bass point and contend that it is only "sub bass" (below our music, sub 40Hz) that is truly omnidirectional.

But to me that is the key to succes using a single source of low frequencies. Keep it in the sub bass range if you only use one. Otherwise, if you want to enhance the bass/woofer range of your system, you will need to use one for each channel, because you will hear the directionality far below where you have been told (by salesmen?) you can't really hear any difference in directionality.
I'm no scientist. I'm only an observer. I believe stereo sub woofers is the only way to be satisfied using subs, unless you actually keep its response in the sub bass range.
Wink

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #10 - 07/25/22 at 02:18:25

I was looking to get a MJ Acoustics small sub on a freind's recommendation who has always been extraordinarily right for me. He has used the smaller MJ subs in many high-tone systems and rooms, and helped others tune theirs in other very nice system/rooms. He said that with this pretty musical sub, and the fine tuning ability from the seat, integration can be really good with a single sub. Also he said that this ability to seriously tune can even make it work in locations that could be unacceptable for subs that have less fine adjustability.

But having good bass already, and MJs having gotten fairly costly, and a bigger risk coming from England if they did not suit me, I was waffling on that decision so long it got ridiculous.... like several years as prices rose.

So recently I looked into the smaller SVS's having similar software tuning tools and by some reports being tuned better for music after some years of being considered by some to be a pretty good go to sub for movies, but not quite as good for music. So I decided to check it out, figuring the main risk was time since it could be returned for free. But after the initial listening seemed promising, I did have to make up some half decent signal cables, and a power cable for it.

Conceptually I am finding similar integration with this single SVS as my buddy's reports of the MJs, though I don't think it would work the way I have it if I was really wanting to crank the bass. Having the sub off to the side of one speaker, not centered, when set higher it can sound good with some recordings, but gets disjointed and overwhelming with seriously low bass mixes. So I set it to make those sound natural and unaffected.

At the "just there" levels I prefer over the range of recordings, it supports/refines the speaker bass with a single sub and can get fully invisible on most recordings, and as tuning skills seem to improve, lately it seems good on about all recordings I am randomly playing... So closer and closer, and tuned just so, I hope/think I am finding a set of adjustments that power up the bass some with decent speed and tone on sorry recordings, and a nice deep/solid/fast/natural bass with better recordings.

That said I can certainly imagine that two well placed could be easier than one, both for balance and filling the room more if needed. Here I have been keeping that idea in my back pocket, but not a lot of space left for it, so I am still hoping to get one to work.

I can relate to how a low low pass helps with just one sub DD. I was preferring pretty low frequency low passes for quite a while with a high dB slope, like 34-37 Hz and a 18-24 dB slope. But I really like my mids, so do not want to particularly flavor them with more bass rising into the mids. Also, all the salesman talk of filling the room with a big sub or two makes sense to me for really big, room filling bass with say movies. But in my 5000+ cu ft space, I am currently running this sub at -28 dB to get it right for bassier mixes, while not overloading the room with thickness or muddle. So it seems I have loads of headroom with the way I prefer this little sub sound.

But  recently, after getting the phase, volume, polarity, parametric EQs, as well as very low frequency rolloff frequency and slope more right for this space (they call the low cutoff EQ "room gain compensation"), I am beginning to like a mid 70s low pass better, and a 24 dB slope at this higher frequency is even more important for my needs to not color the mids, and to work across recordings. I like 76 HZ right now but we''ll see.

Earth, I suspect you can likely easily warm up/fill out the mids with RELs. With the SVS they had several preprogrammed setups with different EQs and other settings. And one I sort of liked for filling in the mids with a nice touch of fuller warming up in the mids was the "Music" setting. It has no low pass frequency setting. So presumably it is running full range for the sub, which is spec'ed at 20-270 Hz +/- 3 dB, so a fair bit of mid bass support. At this setting, it does integrate pretty well in this room with the phase, polarity, and volume set well, while shifting the bass tones more into the mids... just not quite what I am after.

It is a trip! Smiley

IP Logged
Earthbound
Seasoned Member

Reply #11 - 07/25/22 at 04:34:44

Will, how does one set the proper phase, polarity and crossover? I assume  crossover is based on the speakers low end limits(or set slightly higher on sub?). Do you use a microphone or ears? Sorry for the ton of novice questions. Thanks for the help.
P.s. I have now read that SVS has an app to help change levels. iPhone compatible?

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #12 - 07/25/22 at 18:35:53

For speaker level sub setup, I am thinking of the sub as a support for the speakers/room, not a replacement for part of the signal. But I have been setting a max sub bass frequency and slope like a crossover sound-wise, trying to use the low end focus of a sub to support where the speakers can’t do it as well as the sub in my setting. My speakers/room go low but lose some articulation way down. So not a crossover circuit like some sub crossover setups where you run speaker cables to the sub first, through its adjustable crossover, and then wire what is left to the speakers from the sub... the sub doing the lowest stuff, and the speakers having those frequencies attenuated to whatever level by the crossover. Whereas, the speakers and sub getting the same signal, hopefully the sub can supplement the speaker’s low down weaknesses with musical integration.

Not having tried RELs I can't begin to suggest this SVS might be a better path than RELs, even with very fine adjustability from the seat. It seems REL's popularity for being fast and musical, and pretty easy to integrate is relatively common... what I have read or heard from others anyway. Though without two, can they be integrated as well without fine adjustments and in placements that might be a little suboptimal...don't know.

And I know how particular I am about balances, so the idea of very fine adjustments through phone/pad software appealed to me. My hope was that they would allow me to tune it as best as possible to my preferred system sound while adding a bit of refinement. But this too is theoretical, not having tried a REL.

I use an iPhone for the SVS app. The software can seem a little odd in some design parameters, but to me it is nicely done, pretty advanced and pretty easy to navigate. It has pages for:

Volume: 0 to -60dB
Low Pass Filter: 30-200Hz with a slope of either 6, 12, 18, or 24dB per octave (also with on/off button for testing)
Phase: 1 degree increments 0 to 180°
Polarity
Parametric EQ: 3 Simultaneous Curves, individually having on and off buttons.  
Room Gain Compensation: 25, 31, 40Hz with 6 or 12dB per octave slope.
Presets: 3 Factory presets that can be used as is with volume adjustments for simple integration. Or these can be adjusted with whatever user adjustments one wants beyond volume and saved as user presets. Or make up your own altogether, and save them with as many of the advanced settings as you want to use. Having user presets has been useful for comparisons of similar home-made preset settings and testing variations in an AB way.

I prefer to do it by sound. But I have been tuning with EQ for years, mostly pretty subtle, but enhancing room balancing EQ, and all by ear. At some point I got a mic and long USB cable I could use with REW, but never went there, so many serious listeners finding these methods unnatural sounding for their tastes. I can imagine this could be less the case with bass, but not sure, and guessing you can still fine tune "adjustments from measurements" to taste, but I have not explored this.

In contrast, I am really particular, and I have always liked carefully tuned by-sound EQ for refined system/room adjustments, to me making the music more beautiful and system more versatile. Though it may not be totally “flat,” by engineering standards, if close to balanced, I am thinking it can be better than the hypothetical “flat,” more alive and complex, more like real music. So I stick with it, slowly refining my discernment as a result I hope!

And being green in this sub world, I can’t be conclusive about how to best tune this one, but here is where I am so far.

I guess every system and room tuned optimally will end with different settings, but for me the main players seem to be volume, low pass frequency and slope, phase, and perhaps the room gain compensation and slope. I find them totally interrelated, changing one effecting the sound of changing the others. I am liking it best if I go for a tight/fast bass mainly, so timing/phase and volume adjustments at first, in my case starting with the default 80 Hz with a 12dB slope for low pass. And then I set the low pass and slope to sound "right" in terms of natural sounding bass spectral balances across recordings, hopefully with little emphasis on any part of the bass, and nothing missing on average considering the flaws of various recording styles.

Then, here, though it sounds good with no room gain compensation, so far I find it more versatile across recordings with it on 25 or 31 Hz. And the polarity is similar for me, finding it a little more natural/rich sounding without it, but perhaps more versatile and clean bass settings in this room with it on. Finally, the parametric EQs can be refining, using the same sound parameters, to tighten bass by lowering room mode zones that muddle the sound, or raising ones that might fill around cancelation frequencies, or just make the bass feel more impactful and natural. Here, either up or down in the right areas can be useful for clarifying a natural bass feel.

So I am going for a complete sounding bass that balances low to mid-bass within this system/room, so that, as much as possible, it sounds like a real bass or drum, or whatever. Fast, not too low and not too full, balanced so that I hear as much natural sounding bass complexity as I can with as little smearing or muddle as possible.... bass that is not overstated in the deepest mixes, and set so it does not overwhelm mid clarity or get thick or boomy across recordings. At the same time, I am listening for settings that feel like they open/richen the mids... to me indicating good bass settings with decent quality sub support can improve bass timing that can help balance system/room smearing issues.

It has taken me some experimenting to figure out the sweeter zones for each of these settings (still playing some), while gradually refining  balancing them together to sound "right" with more intense heavy bass recordings as well as improving bass on more sorry bass recordings like many earlier jazz recordings. A good seeming crosscheck for me so far: when I think it is all pretty good, I crank up the sub volume some and play some heavy bass recordings to see just how close I got with the bass pushed too much. Then I make minor adjustments if I hear some smear, masking, or heaviness, etc, and then go back to the more proven system appropriate volume. Still working it, and hoping I can "get there" for my needs without having to move into trial and error with different subs, or by deciding to do without as I have been for a really long time.

All that said, seems folks find some subs can be pretty good with well designed default settings, and simpler adjustments, but I really like tuning tools based in this early stage of exploring subs again.

Hope this helps.

Will

IP Logged
Earthbound
Seasoned Member

Reply #13 - 07/26/22 at 01:03:05

It was helpful. I appreciate the detailed explanation. Building a system for the first time in 25 years, I hope to develop the skills it takes to hear those differences you describe. One plus to the extended wait times, I’m getting pieces one by one over the course of a year. As each piece is added, I try to hear and learn to verbalize the changes I’m noticing. It’s a fun journey.

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #14 - 07/26/22 at 02:31:53

Yes fun coming, and who knows, whatever you end up with, maybe a sub will not be needed???

IP Logged
kulafu
Seasoned Member

Reply #15 - 07/27/22 at 13:12:27

I finally got the pair of Omega Deep Hemp Subs at the speaker outputs of my Cary Audio SET 300b Monoblocks and paired with Charney Companion Excaliburs.  With the subs the imaging has significantly!  I could not extract myself from my listening chair!  My better half had to tell me to go down and do some evening chores.  Like Brad, I scored these at the half the price.  I bought these locally from a great audio guru and gentleman.  His downgrade/downsize are my new treasures!  I still have to play around with sub placement among other things.  But for now, I am enjoying them!
Bob

IMG_1179.jpeg

IP Logged
Earthbound
Seasoned Member

Reply #16 - 07/27/22 at 13:27:05

Great to hear. Congratulations! Give us some further impressions when you get them situated they way you like.

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #17 - 07/27/22 at 16:13:19

Nice!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print