Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/26/24 at 04:16:10 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
How do you organize your music? (Read 8282 times)
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

How do you organize your music?
07/01/22 at 15:35:48

I know many have collections far beyond mine, but I am looking to improve my "filing" system.

Anyone willing to share ideas will help.

I only have about 1700 LPs, but over 12,000 CDs.

I have gone with genre seperation for a system, but that leads to an argument with myself in many cases. Confusion at least. Then it takes too long to find what I know I have.

I have gone with easily definable genre, like all the Classical in one place, if it "might be Jazz" then it IS Jazz! If it came from the '60s or '70s and it's not Jazz or Classical, then it's ROCK.
But, that has not worked well either.
I have even had "I just got this!" as a seperate genre, but that got things misplaced as well.

I have ignored genre and gone totally alpha/numeric with my CDs especially. That is not so easy, either.

I have also kept about 100 cassettes and various dozens of 15" and 7" reel to reel in a seperate place, so those aren't an issue for now.

I have taken clues from our local library, but their shit is more mixed up than mine.
I have a chance to make something new here in my new place, but I've never been pleased with what I have had in the past.

I am looking for any ideas you are willing to share.

What do you guys do?

SE84Cs Mono'ed, Lii Audio F15 OB, W15 "H" Frame Subwoofer, McIntosh MC2500, Lazarus Pre, Dual TT, Ortofon, Kleenline Iso Power, Revox, Crown R-R, Pioneer Elite Digital Source
  IP Logged
HockessinKid
Seasoned Member

Re: How do you organize your music?
Reply #1 - 07/01/22 at 15:48:28

Sorting by media type & genre makes sense. A lot of folks have simply transferred music on CD's to a hard drive (w/ a backup) and this makes sense if you have space constraints or simply don't want to mess with a CD transport or player.

HK

Nottingham Interspace TT w/ Audio Technica AT-OC9XML cart + Modwright PH 9.0XT phono OR Modwright modded Cambridge CNX V2 > CSP3-25th Ann. preamp > ZMA-25th Ann. amp > PI Audio UberBUSS > Caintuck Audio Lii15 Magnum speakers > Snake River Audio & ZenWave cables
  IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #2 - 07/01/22 at 15:58:04

I went digital years ago and didn't look back.

All of my music sits in a computer that takes up no room, my software organizes everything so it only takes a moment to find anything.

I have everything backed up on multiple portable drives so it isn't lost.

Physical media is so 1950!

Sorry, I'm just trying to ruffle feathers to spur discussion. If you like spinning discs, just keep on truckin"!  

Owner of the infamous RED TORII and Dan the Redheaded Amp
  IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #3 - 07/01/22 at 16:05:04

I guess I'm pretty lucky. My CD collection is mostly classical, and mostly arranged alphabetically by composer. I have a few shelves dedicated to specialty stuff like historical conductors or collections and a couple shelves that just have big boxed sets. For me jazz is straight forward and (fortunately from an organizational perspective) rock is the smallest. I struggled with it and finally settled arranging it by sub-genre: prog, british invasion, 60's, 70's and "modern" (anything 80's and newer lol). I listen to it the least and it is in the least convenient place to access.  I also have a couple shelves for misc stuff, like bagpipes (seriously).

I probably have 3 to 4 thousandish CDs all together and (almost) all of them are in plain sight so unless something gets filed wrong I can usually find what I want and so far (knock on wood) haven't really had trouble remembering what I have. I started ripping some of them to save shelf space and between that and downloads I've got several hundred CD's worth of stuff on my computer. Organizing that may become an issue at some point.

[FOOBAR2000 | Jay's CDT2 MRK3] -> Denafrips Terminator 2 + Gaia
Sumiko Pearwood -> Mapleknoll Athena -> Luxman SUT -> Maple-tree Phono 3E
Woo WA22 -> 2x UFO25s, balanced monos
Omega SAM , Hifiman Arya, Senn HD-650
  IP Logged
Sean
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 07/01/22 at 18:27:39

This setup is from about 4 yrs ago, the storage is basically still the same, just in different spots of the room. The big unit on the left is now on casters. We had a flood in this room and I'm not going through moving LPs as the waters rise ever again. I've also got a few record crates I made from pallets in the back room. I took all of my CD/DVD and put them in storage. Everything else is on hard drives.

Technics 1210G, AT OC9III, Cinemag 1254 SUT, ZP3, CSP2+, SE84UFO, Tekton Pendragon

Schiit Bifrost, Mac Mini, Roon
  IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 07/01/22 at 19:11:05

Donnie wrote on 07/01/22 at 15:58:04:
I went digital years ago and didn't look back.

All of my music sits in a computer that takes up no room, my software organizes everything so it only takes a moment to find anything.

I have everything backed up on multiple portable drives so it isn't lost.

Physical media is so 1950!

Sorry, I'm just trying to ruffle feathers to spur discussion. If you like spinning discs, just keep on truckin"!  

I won't let you find my feathers, Donnie. Wink

What software?
I use EAC to copy, Often Winamp or just Audacity for playback (old, I want better!).

I have about 75% of my CDs converted to digital, about 10% of my LPs, maybe 50% of my reel to reels from old concerts I was a part of. Most of the pre-recorded, purchased r-r, I don't see the point, yet.
I love the new huge HDDs available.

But, I'm not getting rid of my physical media, '50s mindset or not.

I get this digital thing and I might get near some day, but I am still in a transitional stage and needing to to do a lot of shuffling to finally digitize my collection.

I still like to handle albums, though and I've never looked back.

My problems are not keeping them safe, but finding The One I want right now!

I suppose digital is one solution I am working toward. No where near success, yet.

SE84Cs Mono'ed, Lii Audio F15 OB, W15 "H" Frame Subwoofer, McIntosh MC2500, Lazarus Pre, Dual TT, Ortofon, Kleenline Iso Power, Revox, Crown R-R, Pioneer Elite Digital Source
  IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 07/01/22 at 19:21:25

HK,

I have more space than ever before, but I still keep my hard pieces. Finding ways to sift through them easier is my goal.

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #7 - 07/01/22 at 21:51:35

Same Old DD wrote on 07/01/22 at 19:11:05:
I won't let you find my feathers, Donnie. Wink

What software?
I use EAC to copy, Often Winamp or just Audacity for playback (old, I want better!).

I use JRiver for all of my digital needs. Rip, manage and playback.
It is very versatile and flexible, plus it plays everything that I have ever thrown at it.

IP Logged
chapsjon
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 07/02/22 at 01:19:54

My collection is not nearly as extensive as yours (about 1000 records and several hundred cd's). I generally organize by genre, then alphabetize by first name within genre. I use first name in order to maintain consistency between artists and bands. For example, The Alan Parsons Project is filed under A.

When I am uncertain about genre, I use discogs.com as a reference. Every album is broken down into a genre and sometimes sub-genre. I also have most of my collection catalogued into my free account with them. It's great because I know what I have so I don't accidentally buy duplicates. It's also great for finding music you're looking for. Since I prefer records, I can quickly look up an album and know whether it was pressed or not. There is also a marketplace feature. I've had good luck buying there.

I do have a few outliers, such as some Celtic harp (Discogs would probably consider this "world" music). Since these outliers are few in number, I group them together.

I have digitized some of my CD's, but anytime I have a choice, I prefer physical media: CD's over files and records over CD's. I admit, a lot of it it the tactile aspect that I feel enhances the experience, but I also prefer the sound, especially on records. Part of why is that I have options on turntables, carts, and phono-pre's. I can listen to the same album and hear it differently depending on my choices.

LR:Mini Torii+Wright WPP100 phono, CSP2+SE84UFO, Pioneer Exclusive M4, Accuphase E-303,Graham Slee Jazz Club, Technics SL-1200MK3D Grace F-8 & Nagaoka MP-110, Yamaha NS-1000M, KEF Reference 101, Sony SS-5050
BR: SE84C+, ZP1 phono, Decware 945
JVC QL-7 Shure V15
  IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #9 - 07/02/22 at 16:12:53

Donnie, I'm going to go find JRiver and try that out.

I was not even talking about digital media at first, but let's go!

I will have a tough time letting go of EAC for all my CD ripping needs, though.
I use it for burns, too and never had a fail to load circumstance on any gear from anything other than an occassional "bad disc" that won't play on anything and EAC gives me a warning.

IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #10 - 07/02/22 at 16:16:48

Chapsjon,
I did not know that discogs had such a service.
I suppose you have re-defined why I started this thread. We all need to know this. What a great find!

I use them all the time to try and figure out what album release I have, always hoping for good news.

Thanks!

IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #11 - 07/02/22 at 16:35:51

I thank all you guys for your perspectives.

CAJames, shelves worth of bagpipes?
Admittedly, it is in my blood and I am still stirred at times, but I have an armload to deal with, not shelves.
I get it, the miscellaneousness that does not fit in anywhere.
Grin

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #12 - 07/02/22 at 17:05:43

shelves worth of bagpipes?

Not shelves, but more than one CD. That's all I'm going to say .Bagpipes were just an example of stuff that doesn't fit the classical/rock/jazz trinity.

IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #13 - 07/02/22 at 17:15:53

Smiley

One of the bands I worked with long ago was The Chieftains. I had never met or even heard of them before and they had never been to Texas before.
Paddy caught me having a fit over the caterer icing down a huge tub of Guinness, while I dumped it out onto the grass in the Texas sun, as he walked up. "They don't want it cold!"
I had "some" culture.

He said, "Looks like you caught it in time, Bub" (I was trying to act Irish and he was trying to act Texas) and he wrangled one open for both of us with his belt buckle. It was still fairly early in the morning. Good times!
He gave me one of everything they had for sale that night, including a handful of CDs, which I still treasure.
Probably should have had them signed, but I was never into that.
Cool

IP Logged
johnnycopy
Seasoned Member

Reply #14 - 07/02/22 at 17:21:05

I used dbpoweramp which creates bitperfect digital copies.  It didn’t let some of my songs through as they will play but don’t have the integrity to be copied by bittperfect software.

Does Jriver do same? I don’t know.

Some songs that would not copy were remedied when I used my cd enhancer liquid on them, but some would still not copy properly.

IP Logged
chapsjon
Seasoned Member

Reply #15 - 07/02/22 at 17:32:56

As an example of discogs genre categorization, The Chieftans are in the "Folk, World, and Country" genre and "Celtic" sub-genre, which discogs calls "style." My Celtic harp album is categorized the same.

Not sure if all bagpipes are categorized the same, but the one I just looked up is in the "Brass and Military" genre, "Pipe and Drum" style.

Most of us don't have enough albums to need that kind of specificity on genres, but I do often find it helpful, and always interesting.

LR:Mini Torii+Wright WPP100 phono, CSP2+SE84UFO, Pioneer Exclusive M4, Accuphase E-303,Graham Slee Jazz Club, Technics SL-1200MK3D Grace F-8 & Nagaoka MP-110, Yamaha NS-1000M, KEF Reference 101, Sony SS-5050
JVC QL-7 Shure V15
  IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #16 - 07/02/22 at 18:13:38

Interesting enough to find more of interest, I would gamble.
Thanks again.

IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #17 - 07/02/22 at 18:20:34

Johnnycopy, it is the bitperfect aspect of EAC that has kept me using it for so many years.
But, it's a ripper/burner and that's it.

I am anxious to acquire some of this newer software you guys mention and work with it.

IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #18 - 07/02/22 at 18:23:43

BTW, I left this topic rather vague for this very reason; so that it can evolve.

All input brings us forward.
I've learned already and I hope others can too.

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #19 - 07/02/22 at 19:05:29

EAC has been my go to for a long time as well, I esp. like that I can (easily) rip multiple CDs as consecutive tracks of the same album. My only complaint is some CDs take a long time to rip (I always rip to FLAC). So I also use freac which seems to crank through CDs faster.

For playback I use foobar2000 on a dedicated (cheap) Windows laptop via USB. I don't stream and have tweaked the OS to turn off a bunch of services I don't need. I'm no fan of windows but foobar is the best software I've used, and I've tried a bunch of them on Linux and RPi as well as Windows. Full disclosure I'm a "computer professional" and neither foobar nor Windows OS tweaking is esp. user friendly but if you have some computer skills it is a high value route to high quality digital playback IMO.

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #20 - 07/02/22 at 19:19:52

Free trial of JRiver
See if you like it,"Don't cost nuthin'"
https://jriver.com/download.html

IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #21 - 07/02/22 at 19:35:27

Thanks, Donnie.

Going that route at first.
Is there a set of "full features" not available with the Trial Version that come to life after paying for the FULL purchased version?

I know some do this and that's fine, just wondering.

I've already DL'd it but have yet to install. Not sure which machine would be best for a trial run, yet.

My latest, strongest or my oldest, weakest? Leaning toward my newest.

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #22 - 07/02/22 at 20:27:20

I'm pretty sure that it is the full zoot software.

Be warned though, there is a huge amount of functionality with that software.  Setting it up isn't too hard though, but there are a lot of things to try if you want to.

IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #23 - 07/02/22 at 21:08:24

Just from reading what they offer, it sounds pretty exciting.

I feel I can understand most of the features, but leave yourself available as a mentor, in cathe questionth arithe.
Smiley

IP Logged
Burgermeester
Seasoned Member

Reply #24 - 07/03/22 at 01:32:30

<sigh> What I need is software that looks at the different ways I cataloged my music when ripping, and applies uniform tag formats for every CD. In the beginning I ripped a lot of music with the default tags, which later I realized were not what I wanted...

IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #25 - 07/03/22 at 08:09:05

CAJ, if you are using EAC and ending up with a FLAC file, you are introducing a third party software which could complicate things during your process, possibly.

I use FLAC sometimes, but I do it in two steps. Native WAV output for a "bit perfect" rip from a CD, then I convert WAV to other formats in a second operation if I need to.

I also use LAME, but hey, I have to put three hundred songs on my wife's little ear thingies she takes to work. I like being her hero.
Grin

Only times I've ever had trouble with the amount of time EAC takes to rip is if there are errors or built in errors to prevent copying.
CD players skip past these, sampling half a dozen times and just going with it.
EAC, trying to do its best, attempting to "lay it down" bit by bit, EAC sometimes runs into trouble with these errors.

I have had CDs that I could not rip using EAC, but resorting to Audacity or Winamp which ignore some of the imperfections, just like a CD player and just go with it, I have gotten rips that seem fine.
That always leaves me wondering where the imperfections lie that EAC could not find and fix.

I also use an older computer as a music server, with (varies) maybe six or eight hard drives connected to it, running XP with an MAudio card, but everything is turned off I don't need and it has never been connected to the internet to get MS involved again.
It works fine!
No Bluetooth, but I haven't really felt the need to use my system that way.
I can do cables.
If my daughter needs to cast something, we have a Roku connected to a Smart TV in the other room and that works fine for that.

You should talk some about these "Computer Professional" tweaks you have done. Don't know if I could follow, but some will, I'm sure.

IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #26 - 07/03/22 at 09:25:16

Burgermeester wrote on 07/03/22 at 01:32:30:
<sigh> What I need is software that looks at the different ways I cataloged my music when ripping, and applies uniform tag formats for every CD. In the beginning I ripped a lot of music with the default tags, which later I realized were not what I wanted...

So what software are you using?
What is your output file type?
I know some software can accept scripts which define things like which order tracks, artists, titles, folders happen as you rip, but not all output formats support the various types of tagging or metadata available.

Tell us more Burge. I'll bet someone knows more than both of us put together and can offer suggestions.

IP Logged
EdwardT
Seasoned Member

Reply #27 - 07/03/22 at 15:13:35

Holy cow! 12,000 CDs…I thought I was struggling to organize around 5-600…
You should open a library with that Tower Records sized collection.

IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #28 - 07/03/22 at 15:35:08

Funny, ET.
Reality sets in after a while.
Grin

Laughing here, but ask someone with a truly encompassing, large collection about their massive mess. I have tried and gotten not so much help. Pretty sure they are in the same boat and admitting so would seem like a concession to all that reality I mention.

Mine is puny compared to some. Remember I am old and I've been doing all this for decades, so it only seems like a lot.

Others have the same 1st world problems, I'm sure.
Instead of spending coin on better equipment (I have some really decent sounding old stuff), I have bought media.
I am up to my eyeballs.

What do you do with your collection?

I know I am not alone. One tenth of the shuffling I do is still a handful.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #29 - 07/03/22 at 16:27:25

I have about 3 times what you do DD. I have about one third in climate controlled storage because I can't house it here. CDs: I put as many as I can into regular size jewel cases that hold two, so for example I will have two Miles Davis cds in one double cd jewel case. And I use bookshelves and have four rows of cd cases on each shelf, and two behind and one in front. I have most of my Miles, Blue Note, Impulse and Bethlehem jazz cds organized by artist or label, and most of my classical on one wall, and the rest is just willy nilly which allows me to go through the shelves and pull things out to listen to and discover things that I didn't think of to listen to. I am not at all OCD and this sort of chaotic arrangement does not bother me. I have been praised for my memory and I pretty much know generally where to find a disc if needed.

After a lot of pruning I only have about 1,000 LPs, all in one room and one wall. I listen to LPs about 5 percent of the time--my digital playback sounds better.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #30 - 07/03/22 at 17:34:49

Quote:
Posted by: Same Old DD      Posted on: Today at 08:09:05
CAJ, if you are using EAC and ending up with a FLAC file, you are introducing a third party software which could complicate things during your process, possibly.

I use FLAC sometimes, but I do it in two steps. Native WAV output for a "bit perfect" rip from a CD, then I convert WAV to other formats in a second operation if I need to.

As you probably know EAC does the same thing you do: a "bit perfect" rip to a WAV file and then a conversion to FLAC, it just does it all at once. Some time ago I did the experiment where I converted WAV files to FLAC and back to WAV and then looked at the two WAVs in a binary editor and I'm confident that FLAC is indeed just as "bit perfect" as WAV. And to be clear, the slow rips are "slower" like 4 or 5X speed up, not 10 or 12. It is only a problem because I'm impatient.

In fact, and this is JMO, FWIW and all that, you are better off with losslessly compressed files on your hard drive vs full sized WAVs. I feel like the bottleneck in digital playback is reading the bits from your harddrive, and the fewer bits bits you need to read the better. Modern CPUs have so much computational power, and the CD format is so inefficient in storing data that storing the files as FLAC and decompressing them in the CPU makes a bunch of sense, to me at least.

IP Logged
Burgermeester
Seasoned Member

Reply #31 - 07/04/22 at 08:52:10

Same Old DD,

Thanks for the supportive feedback. I did a lot of ripping with WinAmp back in the day, after that JRiver. All .wav files. I tended to do large batches and it was a while before I woke up to the importance of configuring the tags the way I wanted them (sometimes the software reverted to a different approach due to being reinstalled, and I'd fail to notice that). By the time I did notice, the CDs were long gone.

So yeah, I'm not sure what I need exists. It would be an automated renaming/retagging utility that could recognize my chaotic collection from the album attributes on the web (forget the name of that database).

I can find what I need in my collection but my "impression" is that the inconsistent tag structure means that any software I use (I tried Album Play, anyone know about that one?) will only load up the library with part of what I have.

IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #32 - 07/04/22 at 12:58:02

I have seen a "re-tagger" software and infact used one ages ago.
I lost track of it during a Windows reset once. I'm pretty good at backing up, so I am sure it is somewhere on a drive somewhere.

I installed JRiver last night and I am just getting started exploring that for the first time.
I am wondering if one of these "Old Salt" JRiver users can answer that one right off.

Sorry I can't be of any help, Burge, but I know such tagging sotware is still out there.

IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #33 - 07/04/22 at 13:08:59

CAJ, patience is not my strongest suit either. Smiley

I believe you are right in having an all FLAC storage system. I'll get there eventually.

I have done as you mentioned, combining the two steps into one set of clicks and only had trouble a few times. In those (rare) cases, seperating the two processes seem to resolve things. Only reason I brought it up was in case of an annnoying empasse.

I also "unchecked" the box where I have the option to delete the WAV file after conversion.
So in many cases  I am storing both; not sure I ever needed to.
I felt like if there was a problem, I could try it again if I had a good rip to start.

Thanks for all the input folks!

IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #34 - 07/04/22 at 13:44:52

Hey, Lon, I presumed that you had a substantial collection.

I have not tried organizing according to label. That kind of makes sense for most jazz.

I can also appreciate your Zen approach as to how to handle some of the "overflow,"  kind of thinking of it as a re-discovery bin.

I'd say my OCD is fairly light when it comes to most things, but I do like to be able to find things when I want.

If you saw my tools, you would think I am a complete OCD Space Cadet trying to earn his Wings. I have them organized well. A place for everything.

I would love to get closer to that with my hard media.

Thanks for the tips.

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #35 - 07/04/22 at 14:22:41

Same Old DD wrote on 07/04/22 at 12:58:02:
I have seen a "re-tagger" software and infact used one ages ago.
I lost track of it during a Windows reset once. I'm pretty good at backing up, so I am sure it is somewhere on a drive somewhere.

I installed JRiver last night and I am just getting started exploring that for the first time.
I am wondering if one of these "Old Salt" JRiver users can answer that one right off.

Sorry I can't be of any help, Burge, but I know such tagging sotware is still out there.

I looked at my JRiver and noticed the tag button on the bottom of the "Tree" on the player. When I hit it about 25 options came up, I'm sure there are enough choices there to get you by.

There are so many thing in this software that I haven't even touched, I'm lazy and mostly use it to play my music.

IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #36 - 07/04/22 at 14:27:26

Johnnycopy, I am still curious about the CD enhancer fluid you brought up.

I have bought many used CDs, even carton lots at auctions due to ten or so I had spotted in the lot that were desirable and some were less than spic n span when I got them.
Of couse a bath is first, but some are not as good at putting things away as others and CDs get slid around with more and more piles of unprotected discs at times.
Seen it too many times. Some scratches can occur.

One thing I have had success doing is polishing the CDs which show wear or damage. Some are worth the bother. The rest I just donate to Goodwill or something.

I'm an accomplished buffer, metal polisher and I have a buffing machine, so I would not suggest this for just anyone to try without some additional background.
I have a clean 12" flannel wheel I use. I have only ever used it for CDs and DVDs AND I have never used anything but water on it as a polishing medium.
I have no idea how many borrowed Public Library discs I have fixed for them, but it works. It's usually Disney movies from the library. Wash the sticky candy off first and give them a shine.

Any time I see the outer rim on a disc all scratchy looking, my first thought is always How Does Anyone Allow Their Player To Get So Gritty Inside??   Then, I give it a touch up.
I can restore a perfect mirror surface in a few seconds most of the time. Or I could melt the CD in a few seconds. It takes a delicate touch.

With the surface clean and smooth again, that usually fixes everything that might have caused an error laden read. My system seems to work most of the time.

What is this Enhancing Fluid you use?

IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #37 - 07/04/22 at 14:52:08

Thanks, Donnie!

I literally just got it going today and I am building my library still.

First impression is that I am going to really enjoy using this software.
Many thanks for the suggestion.
Cool

I had no idea that it would record live television! Wow!
Not something I would use often, but I can remember missing a few races recently.
This would have been a handy feature for those times.
My cable system does this, but the files "expire" after a while and they disappear. Unfriendly! Angry

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #38 - 07/04/22 at 15:51:32

Same Old DD,
Have fun with the software. I've been using it for years, I think I started around version 8 and now it is up to version 29.
Version 26 is what I'm currently using, and will update when 30 comes out.

I also polish metal, in fact I did it for a living for a while when I was a pattern maker 20 some odd years ago. I just finished up a Big Block Chevy valve covers and intake for a good friend of mine. My fingers can't hardly punch these keys right now because they are so worn out!

IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #39 - 07/04/22 at 16:13:19

Mine is version 29.
I was reading on their forum about certain versions doing odd stuff and there were very quick updates to adjust.
I guess you've lived through all that. This seems stable and trouble free.

I started learning to buff at age 12 with musical instruments, my father's business.
Looking for more angles, I moved into the hotrod circles. There's a lot involved with shining up a Jag rear end to go under a '40s pick up, especially when the rodder client stops back by with 60 something more bolts, nuts and washers to shine up on the same dime! Piece o' cake at that point.

Then eventually it was all about the hot boat craze in south Texas as the insane boats ramped up. Blown hemis running quad jets.
Grin
Boats were tough. The hotrodders brought things to us in crates and little boxes, but the boat guys didn't want anything taken apart and yet it had to be shiny. Then stay that way in the worst possible environment. I learned to shoot epoxy.

Big block valve covers aren't light! Intakes? YIKES! No more of that for me.

It was a hobby business with a partner.
Once my sound reinforcement company took off, all that was over, but I kept the skill set alive. I mainly just do antiques and stuff now.
A guy brought me two solid copper fire extinguishers last year, said if this goes well, he has eight more. It was done and I hit them all with epoxy. They'll stay shiny for ages and they can use Endust on them if they want, just NO polish compound!
Smiley

So you understand a bit about restoring discs with a buffer?

IP Logged
chapsjon
Seasoned Member

Reply #40 - 07/04/22 at 16:31:39

I'm unsure about severely scratched CDs, but I used to own a used CD store. If we got a CD that skipped but didn't look terrible, we'd use regular toothpaste with some plain water and a finger to work the CD in a circular fashion, then rinse. Almost without fail, it would then play with no skipping or errors. Probably not the method for large scale restoration, but for the occasional problematic disc, it works.

JVC QL-7 Shure V15
  IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #41 - 07/04/22 at 17:12:50

Quote:
Posted by: chapsjon      Posted on: Today at 16:31:39
...If we got a CD that skipped but didn't look terrible, we'd use regular toothpaste with some plain water and a finger to work the CD in a circular fashion, then rinse...

Cool. I use regular white toothpaste to defog my headlights and always wondered how it would work on a CD but was too lazy to actually try it. Good to know.

IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #42 - 07/04/22 at 18:05:23

It was laziness that pushed me to fire up my buffer for the first time. It worked so well, I got a proper wheel just for polishing plastics and kept going.

I had tried polishing compound, which is basically toothpaste with some stuff added that you don't want in your mouth, with a hand held buffer on my old Crown Vic and my wife's Lincoln (wife drives 80 miles a day to work and back. God bless her! She gets the good car). It worked fine on the light lenses.

CDs need to be like a mirror though.
However, if you can save a beloved find with any method, it's worth trying.
Excellent, Chaps!

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #43 - 07/07/22 at 21:30:51

DD,

How is the JRiver working for you?

Like it? Hate it?

Inquiring minds need to know.

IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #44 - 07/08/22 at 13:55:25

So far, I am loving it, Donnie.
I don't see that changing. I'll definitely get a keycode and maintain my access to this.
And as you said, it can do so much more.

Surprise! I was not even worried about digital media at the time I began this discussion.

Oh, and there is a host of keyboard shortcuts that kick ass.

Many are not even a "re-learn" to have to deal with, but more of a "re-association."
I'm sure you've seen all this, but for others with questions, check this out:

https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Keyboard_Hot-keys

Thank you again for the suggestion.
Smiley Smiley

IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #45 - 07/09/22 at 13:14:39

I sent them my numbers, Donnie. I'm legal, now!

Coming from someone like me who was not really in the market for software, that's a strong endorsement.
I have you to thank.

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #46 - 07/09/22 at 13:31:48

I'm glad to help.

Like I've said before, there is so much that this software can do.
Try experimenting with the different settings for audio output, there can be some real gains from buffering the entire song and trying different output modes. I once tried upconverting everything to DSD just to see if my DAC could keep up.

Lots of things to play with.

By the way, is your digital music better organized now?

IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #47 - 07/09/22 at 16:23:22

Donnie wrote on 07/09/22 at 13:31:48:
By the way, is your digital music better organized now?

Funny you should ask that, because I don't think I have ever "retired" a hard drive except for some of the smallest ones.

Now, I am back to shuffling the physical HDDs, to and fro, in order to get everything indexed properly, tagged with Volume #s, etc. But now I have a better way to do all this sorting and a better reason.
Part of the fun!
Grin

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print