Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/19/24 at 23:40:25 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Test your 20 -20K Hz hearing with headphones (Read 4838 times)
BicycleJoe Lo-Fi
Seasoned Member

It's all in one
note, Just Listen

Test your 20 -20K Hz hearing with headphones
06/20/22 at 10:33:45

So I found out I can't hear anything substantially above 13K Hz.
https://youtu.be/qNf9nzvnd1k
The second test I took puts my hearing at the average of a 49 year old
https://youtu.be/iN3PBpInNJM
That's pretty good for me since I'm 68.

I roadied for a lot of loud bands. The Ramones, Dead Boys, Cramps. One gig I worked was for the band the Police on their first NYC tour in 77, my job was standing on stage in the Diplomat hotels 2nd floor Ballroom holding up their stack of speaker cabinets while everybody POGO'd and Slam danced moving the stage and dance floor a few inches. Much larger than Jimi's double stacked Marshall's.

Take the test

PS I've really tried but 99% of audiophile recordings I've listened to suck.
I'm not here to showcase the tricks my system can do. I want to listen to emotionally evocative and compelling music. The "What's  Spinning" section does make some great selections and reminders.
Between compression online, and ear fatigue I sort of lost the fire for Play music at home so for a while I only played my own guitar and drums at home. I went to small back room shows and clubs but now I'm back on the vinyl bridge because of the pandemic. Looking forward to some outdoor concerts

https://youtu.be/CIPi7npzXTs

"Once there was a note, pure and easy,playing so free like a breath rippling by,the note is eternal, I hear it, it sees me,forever we blend and forever we die".
  IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Re: Test your 20 -20K Hz hearing with headphones
Reply #1 - 06/21/22 at 03:43:34

I did the tests multiple times. First using my daughter's $50 headphones a few times. They were close by. (she can be messy)
I had 56 year old ear on my left, but 66 year old ear on my right.
Obviously a problem.

I grabbed my Sennheiser 600 set that my dog has chewed on the top some. 44YO left and 58YO right. Still a problem.

I dug out my Beyerdynamics and 43YO on the left and 56YO on the right. I'm still going to bitch all day long about my right ear being weak, but I'm 66 YO, so I have to live with all that, I guess.

Second test, I only used my Beyers and it was strange how the sound moved around. Even though one ear is certainly compromised, it still hears better at certain frequencies than my "good ear."

Then I found out that my daughter has taken her cheap phones apart and stuffed three layers of packing foam into the cans because she hates HF. That was a fun waste of time.
But, I kind of wanted to compare $50 to $500 to $1200 phones. There was a difference in the two grown up phones for sure, but I still wonder...
Grin

There is no way to calibrate any of this, but I had my sound set on half, what ever that might mean. He said to set it where it sounded loud and half is pretty damn loud to me.

Trying to do a comparison, at least my faulty ear is still working some.

But that third link??
Are those Altec 604s or similar in substantially generous enclosures?

SE84Cs Mono'ed, Lii Audio F15 OB, W15 "H" Frame Subwoofer, McIntosh MC2500, Lazarus Pre, Dual TT, Ortofon, Kleenline Iso Power, Revox, Crown R-R, Pioneer Elite Digital Source
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #2 - 06/21/22 at 16:51:38

Keep in mind that almost no headphone has flat frequency response.  Here is just one example:

click to enlarge

So as an example, let's say your hearing rolls off at 16kHz.  The volume was set to the human voice, which falls between 100Hz and 2KHz. There is 8dB of rise by 3K which holds pretty much until 8K. Then there is a 20dB drop at 10K.  So the 16kHz guy hears 16K just start and then disappear. The first note that he really hears comes in around 9K.

Also important to realize is the fletcher munson curve of human hearing is volume dependent. So the volume at which you listen to the test will greatly determine what you hear.

It makes it hard to test you hearing or even determine what "flat" really is.  The dotted line is the line of inaudibility. So you can see human hearing sensitivity drops by 10dB past 10kHz even at a conversational listening level. My guess is that if you increased the volume of the test above 10Khz by 10dB you will be able to hear a lot higher than you thought you could.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 06/21/22 at 18:44:57

Thanks, Steve.
I was going in that direction, but I can't explain myself as well as you do.

One thing these online tests can do is make us want to go and have a real hearing test done by a proper lab and maybe seek help.

I did the second test eight or nine times with just my better phones and flipped them around several times. So I guess I was also testing the phones as well, in a way.
I got the same results as far as which tones one ear hears over the other, during the sweep.

One other thing switching the cans around demonstrated to me is that it's not just one ear that is compromised.

Too many hundreds of those hundred plus dB nights took its toll. I know this.

I was very young when I first saw the Fletcher Munson curves in some audio book I found at the library and noticed that lots of folks do that with their EQs and they didn't know much about what they were doing. Then changed it as they cranked things up.
I knew what was happening already, but my mind had not "created' any kind of graphic understanding yet.

Finding those graphs for the first time was a further confirmation of my own observations.

SE84Cs Mono'ed, Lii Audio F15 OB, W15 "H" Frame Subwoofer, McIntosh MC2500, Lazarus Pre, Dual TT, Ortofon, Kleenline Iso Power, Revox, Crown R-R, Pioneer Elite Digital Source
  IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 06/21/22 at 19:03:41

I did the second test a few times with my Sennheisers as well just now and the results of one ear hearing certain tones differently from the other came out about the same.

Cranking it way up or way down, same result.

I need a hearing test done.

IP Logged
BicycleJoe Lo-Fi
Seasoned Member

It's all in one
note, Just Listen

Reply #5 - 06/21/22 at 19:49:20

Same Old DD
The Mercury Living Presence Antal Dorati release is one of my favorite recordings of the Stravinsky's "Rite of Spring"

Quote:
Altec 604E -  speakers
Fostex T90a - tweeters, 4th order crossover
Chord Qutest DAC
300B - Hashimoto H30-3.5 - integrated amplifier

Steve Deckert even though I could hear things at 13 K they were barely audible anything that I would consider normal listening volume disappeared around 11 K for me. I didn't use state of the art headphones just Tin Audio ear buds they are another reason I don't enjoy streamed music listening to them on those crap ear buds only makes the compression worse. And amplified laptops just make the crap sound like louder crap.
I'm sure with the slew of new DAC's and streaming through high end gear makes a huge difference but it never grabbed me enough to want to listen to an iPod or iPhone.

Now I had what I considered very well trained years from years of critical listening and working closely with bands in the studio. If I go to a back room live music performance I can still find the best spot in the room to listen. My ears ring but eventually it subsides.

Spending four nights out of 5 in the second row in front of The Who in their prime had enough slam for a few weeks of Tinnitus. Roger Daltry is stone deaf and lip reads. Both Pete and Roger plus many other musicians suffer from permanent hearing loss.

I really don't think the deterioration of my hearing will affect the emotional release I get from listening to music I find inspirational.
That's my sixth sense of it anyway.

"Once there was a note, pure and easy,playing so free like a breath rippling by,the note is eternal, I hear it, it sees me,forever we blend and forever we die".
  IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 06/22/22 at 00:28:48

BicycleJoe said:

I really don't think the deterioration of my hearing will affect the emotional release I get from listening to music I find inspirational.

I wholeheartedly agree with your statement.

I'm not sure if I have ever decided to listen to a piece simply because of its recording quality, except for the first time I hear it.

That album with superior recording might go into a rotation I use to demonstrate something for others, but the enticement for me to listen again and again comes from the music itself.

As you say, the fact that my hearing has changed has not affected my REASON for wanting to listen to good music and even seek more good music.
The enjoyment and fulfillment doesn't just revolve around how deeply I can "hear into" a recording session.

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #7 - 06/22/22 at 00:53:40

This is a good Segway to a tube rolling stunt I did many years ago...  I plugged my right ear for an hour or so while I rolled input tubes in the left channel and played music only from the left channel until I was satisfied that I had the best sounding tubes in that channel possible. The tubes were all wrapped in paper so I couldn't know what they were. After that and a good long break, I came back and did the same thing with the left ear and the right channel. As expected I did not choose the same tubes for each channel and the sound of the channels did not exactly match.

Then for the finally, I listened normally to both channels and it was incredible. Now before you connect this experience to frequency response differences in hearing from left to right, I suspect the same would have happened even if I heard everything exactly the same in both ears because I would have been rolling tubes for the speaker, where the speaker is placed in the room, and the room, itself which is never symmetrical.

I thought to try this experiment because of the many times I listened with two completely different speakers on each channel just to see what would happen. The same thing happened every time. A pair of mismatched speakers always had a more pleasing frequency balance than a matched pair of either speaker.  This is why I suspect that tube rolling this way has a similar outcome.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
EdwardT
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 06/22/22 at 14:59:02

I guess that's good news then because my ears are totally unmatched Smiley

I was genuinely surprised that after a couple of decades standing behind a wall of subwoofers I could still easily hear 25hz but that’s balanced, I suppose, by a tremendous loss of high freq recognition. Man, I’m kinda bummed that I topped out at 10k…

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #9 - 06/22/22 at 16:30:44

Because human hearing drops by 10dB at 10K how do you know your hearing dropped off?  Did you listen to a flat sweep like in the unrealistic headphone test?  In real life, if you were to hear something 10K or higher, it would come from an instrument or squeaky window, or who knows what, but you can bet it would be 10dB louder relative to 1K unlike the sweep.  So for example, if a piano went that high, those notes would be 10dB louder than say middle C in order to sound flat, or the same volume as middle C.

WWW   IP Logged
EdwardT
Seasoned Member

Reply #10 - 06/22/22 at 18:54:11

I don’t hear highs the same way anymore and that’s a fact. I totally misunderstood the guidelines to mean I could exist in a 90db world for 8 hours a day and then add in the other 18 hours at whatever level I liked. I'd guess that until the 90s tour buses were consistently 70-75db in motion, the four concert hours ran 95-100db. Over 38 years it adds up.
Even so, I’m excited to see my preamp order move into the low 150s…I still know what I like to hear Smiley

IP Logged
BicycleJoe Lo-Fi
Seasoned Member

It's all in one
note, Just Listen

Reply #11 - 06/22/22 at 20:22:37

Steve Said Quote:
In real life, if you were to hear something 10K or higher, it would come from an instrument or squeaky window, or who knows what,

How about Screeching train tracks on a sharp turn like the ones that used to pass my window in pairs every 11 minutes 24/7. I used to live in that corner apartment.

You never know what you find on the Internet. This is gold
You have a lot of different arrows in your quiver.
https://www.decware.com/imperial.htm

IP Logged
EdwardT
Seasoned Member

Reply #12 - 07/14/22 at 15:51:52

This thread led me to visit my local audiologist for a check up and the results, while not totally unexpected, were really disappointing. As a side note quality hearing aids pricing starts around the same as a ZMA…

IP Logged
BicycleJoe Lo-Fi
Seasoned Member

It's all in one
note, Just Listen

Reply #13 - 07/15/22 at 00:08:39

EdwardT wrote Quote:
while not totally unexpected, were really disappointing.

I am convinced that even though some frequencies I cannot hear, they still contribute harmonically affecting the total sound that I do hear.

IP Logged
EdwardT
Seasoned Member

Reply #14 - 07/15/22 at 12:45:28

I agree, harmonics affect everything.

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #15 - 07/15/22 at 13:29:03

You got that right!

Owner of the infamous RED TORII and Dan the Redheaded Amp
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #16 - 07/16/22 at 03:47:59

I've told this story many times, but even I can't remember where on this forum so I'll give it another go here.

Friend and drumming mentor was legally deaf. Got that way over time. Got hearing aids, sent them back. Didn't like listening to his wife and kids constantly having drama. Could play drums despite this handicap because his brain was already mapped before he lost his hearing.

He could not hear a phone ring. He had to lip read.

His favorite pass time was to sit down on his drum stool with his large Altec speakers, each on its own stool pointing at his head, and a giant 1970's receiver powering it from a tuner and a CD player.

As his hearing continued to decline it got so difficult that he felt defeated and gave up. Couldn't do it anymore. Couldn't play to the radio because he couldn't catch the timing cues.

Almost in tears he told us about this over a beer -- I knew exactly what to do. It was a theory of mine back then and this was the ideal way to test it. It was one of many, including a how sound quality effects the ability to dance gracefully.

We dismantled his sound system at the drum kit, all except speakers. Installed a Decware tube amp with good speaker cable. Installed a reel to reel tape machine. Created 80 minute 7.5 IPS mixes of his favorite music on tape reels. The tape machine was hooked to the amplifier with good cables.

It sounded really good.

He gave it a shot and was completely stunned. He could hear again. In fact he said it was like rewinding the clock at least 5 years.

KEY PHRASE - Brain was already mapped.

To activate those maps/recordings all you need is part of it. The music is holographic due to it's harmonics. Take one small slice of this harmonic DNA without smearing it and the whole of the song will light up in your mind.

It goes farther than that, in the minds ability to compile fragments of sound so that even music that is new to you can because of its similar harmonics and structure and tone signatures trigger the minds ability to compose. If you have ever dreamed at night while you sleep you know how powerful the minds ability to compose actually is.

My guess is that the more hearing loss you gradually get, the more magical music you like will actually sound.

Also there is this...

The energy that animates the body as many refer to as the soul is actually the real you. The physical body is an interface into the physical dimension only and that includes the brain. You could say that all experiences and memories are stored both on and off site simultaneously.  I am pretty sure that the soul can experience anything it chooses to including sound in any medium with or without a body. I would certainly hope so.  

So please don't get too caught up in all of this how good can you hear measurement stuff. Before you know what happened a placebo effect can take over. It can easily parallel the overblown false interpretation of Total Harmonic Distortion and the placebo effect that has on not only buyers but owners of said products. For certain engineers the effect is so powerful it prevents them from hearing what is really there.

Hearing is optimized for the range of the human voice and for low frequency which involves the whole body as the ear and this range goes no where near 20kHz.  Basically the more functional range is well defined in an instrument called the piano.  The highest note on a Piano is 4186 Hz.  If you can hear up to 4K, you're fine in the music department and hi-end hifi gear holds all of it's value and then some.

-Steve

WWW   IP Logged
BicycleJoe Lo-Fi
Seasoned Member

It's all in one
note, Just Listen

Reply #17 - 07/19/22 at 21:54:21

I am certainly finding this to be a rewarding thread. I never expected it to pardon my pun "reverberate" so much in our community. Oh the brain is an amazing thing, I wanted to relate to you my own anecdote of how music and the brain can defy logic and transcend disability.

Alzheimer's is a terrifying and misunderstood affliction. I once volunteered in a assisted living facility several times a month and interacted with clients in advanced stages of Alzheimers. One of the things I've learned is I could get around their disability by singing a Song with them all of a sudden they would join in and could carry a tune and sing a song together with me remembering the words, have clear speech. Something like Take me out to the ball game or I'm looking over for a four leaf clover, Hello dolly was a favorite and worked to get past whatever it was that caused Alzheimers for a few moments of joy.

IP Logged
Earthbound
Seasoned Member

Reply #18 - 07/19/22 at 23:58:05

Thanks for sharing that BicycleJoe. Nice that you volunteered to help people with that horrible affliction. I will keep my stereo when it happens with a note on it to continue playing until I’m dead!
And I think high end is the first to go. The high frequency splits the hairs in the chochlea. I think you can crank up the bass though if I remember my college biology.

IP Logged
EdwardT
Seasoned Member

Reply #19 - 08/18/22 at 17:53:35

A big thank you to BicycleJoe for starting this thread which prompted me to go to a professional audiologist, get tested and fitted for hearing aids. It’s opened up a whole new world of sounds I didn’t know I was missing and that’s a real bonus. I’m still tweaking the eq curve with the audiologist to see if I can recover the soundstage aspect of recordings, that really took a hit. The tech has been really helpful and because I can ask for frequencies by number it makes things easier for him. Still a work in progress but the overall effect of hearing birds, tree frogs, etc. outside and turning down the tv to 55dB is very positive.

IP Logged
BicycleJoe Lo-Fi
Seasoned Member

It's all in one
note, Just Listen

Reply #20 - 08/18/22 at 21:29:16

Very Happy For You Edward T. , getting old sucks.

When I was working for the band the Police one of my jobs was to stay on stage holding up the PA cabinets while the ballroom floor bounced up and down from the people Pogo Dancing. I was in front almost inside these stacked PAs 10 foot high on both sides of the stage at the Diplomat Hotel.
It was just as they were becoming well known and on their first visit to the United States at New York City.

My ears rang for months. Tinnitus, still I've never worn earplugs at concerts. When I worked on F15 jet airplanes I wore earr protection because it was required, but youth is wasted on the young we thought we were indestructible Supermen.

Good on you for following through instead of ignoring a serious problem.
Smiley

PS Now this is some heavy Zen from the heart of the Tao

STEVE WROTE Quote:
The energy that animates the body as many refer to as the soul is actually the real you. The physical body is an interface into the physical dimension only and that includes the brain. You could say that all experiences and memories are stored both on and off site simultaneously.  I am pretty sure that the soul can experience anything it chooses to including sound in any medium with or without a body. I would certainly hope so.

IP Logged
EdwardT
Seasoned Member

Reply #21 - 08/20/22 at 23:14:42

My moment of zen happened when I realized I wasn’t disappointed anymore with the mix engineers burying the cymbals and high hat Smiley

IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #22 - 08/24/22 at 18:54:49

This is great news EdwardT.

Gives many of us older fellows a bit of something to look forward to.

My own check up is on hold for now, but still pending.
I love the specific frequency "recommendations" offered to your analyst.
Bet the doc had his/her hands full with some of that.
Wink

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print