03/28/24 at 17:07:53 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Tube Pulling (Read 566 times)
Kahuna Jack
Seasoned Member

Tube Pulling
06/17/22 at 20:47:09

So my past mo for probably 20+ years was when I came across a piece of gear that had no great cash value on its own but was stuffed with desired tubes I would yank the tubes ( maybe rescue a cool knob now n then) and chuck the carnage. I havent lately as so much of that stuff I disposed of is now worth more intact. Even all those entry level Sherman Clay home organs that used tube amplification people seem to want now. Go figure.

A few days ago I pulled out this Roberts x770 reel to reel tape deck someone wanted to buy. I knew it had 12d7's ( better then 12ax7 ? ) ef86's and some el84's in it ( all marked nec ) I thought do I want to pull the tubes and try some out in my Decware pieces ?? or keep the decks integrity intact and sell it as standing. I sold it complete as the guy wanted to listen to tapes on it ( it still worked fine) and wasnt trying to convert it into something else ( guitar amp, mic pre's , stereo etc)
Id like to claim it was a saintly move but in truth the majority of all the tube pulls in my past have turned out to be duds with maybe a few winners now and then. Ive sat on boxes of tube pulls for years before finally tossing away after never finding something they worked properly in.
So unless your luck is better then mine was in past, tube pulls arent always a gold mine.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print