Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
05/05/24 at 21:11:36 

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
the fear of 2.3 watts (Read 35175 times)
Kahuna Jack
Seasoned Member

Re: the fear of 2.3 watts
Reply #100 - 08/01/22 at 19:59:45

for the very brief moment I did have both amps running ( reminder the rest of my system is modest) what I took away based on instincts alone is that Im really going to appreciate running 2 amps ( monoblocks OR biamping) once I dig deeper into my more complex music collection that require a bit more reserve. So far Ive mainly stuck with recordings that can probably make any system sound good.

IP Logged
Burgermeester
Seasoned Member

Reply #101 - 08/01/22 at 20:36:35

Best of luck KJ with your comparative listening research. We don't get many chances to hear opinions from comparative testing.

Almost two years from getting my amps, I'm almost considering changing a double UFO25 order to a single Taboo order. At least the Taboo has balanced inputs.

IP Logged
tempest62
Ex Member

Reply #102 - 08/02/22 at 00:26:39

Burger,

Taboo for main speaker duty? I wouldn't do that. The MK 4 was designed and voiced for headphones in mind.....speakers are secondary. Been there, done that.

Who told you the Taboo was a great idea for speakers if that's the main way you listen to music?

Brad

IP Logged
Burgermeester
Seasoned Member

Reply #103 - 08/02/22 at 00:28:55

Steve says yes. 3 watts. binding posts. You have my attention.

IP Logged
tempest62
Ex Member

Reply #104 - 08/02/22 at 00:34:05

I did that, thinking I would listen to headphones more than it actually panned out. For speakers, at first it blew me away.....then I realized that simply because all my previous systems were average. Previous system to the last was a Martin Logan Theos-Rogue Chronus Magnum combo and that kinda sucked.

Anyway, after 6+ months I began to realize they didn't generate the steam needed when called for, and overall they were more than a touch too thin.

For headphones, the Taboo is incredible. For speakers, not so much. You can do alot better in that arena....if you're dead set on 2-3 watts you might as well go back to the seaufo.

Is there something holding you back from Steve's bigger amps?

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #105 - 08/02/22 at 01:00:50

I'll have a contrary experience and opinion than Brad with the Taboo. Sure they were designed with headphones in mind but there were three Mk versions before hand, I have had the III and have the IV, and both are quite capable of driving speakers. (I'd be very interested in hearing if Steve felt they were inferior at driving speakers). I have used mine, with a CSP2+ or CSP3, ZBIT and ZROCK2 and HR-1 speakers in a fairly large room in my audio-visual system and it does run out of steam with the huge low frequency sounds of video content at very high volumes, but not with music. And it doesn't sound "thin" to me.

In my own experience the Taboo is neither more nor less "thin" than the Zen or Torii or Rachel amps I have had. I have had the 27th amp Steve built, a "Select" amp, a modded C amp, a version of EL34 monoblocks Steve no longer builds, the model of Rachel before Rachel, a Torii Mk II, a Torii Mk III and SE84UFO3 monoblocks. Each had the Decware sound, none of which I would actually describe as "thin" sounding. And with a preamp and a ZROCK2 more "density" can be added to the sound.

Brad to my knowledge has not had an SE84UFO or a Torii . . . . So I am not sure how he can compare "thinness" between models.

There are a lot of factors that go into how one experiences an amp: source, speakers, room, power, cabling, hearing--more. In my case, and in several rooms and with progressively more resolving speakers, none of the amps really sound "thin" and the Taboo is quite a performer. Fantastic with headphones as well!

I will say this about the Taboo Mk IV: the 25th Anniversary mods do improve the amplifier, I've had it both with and without, and the power difference between it and a single SE84UFO is not huge. Yes, it's a bit more powerful, but speakers I have on hand (HR-1, two pair, ERR one pair) work with both and with not that much of a "headroom" difference.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Burgermeester
Seasoned Member

Reply #106 - 08/02/22 at 01:14:45

Yep Brad, I hear you. I like headphones too but don't use them much. And that Lucid switch is alluring, but again I assume it was designed for headphones.

Always wanted monoblocks for the shorter speaker cables.

To boil it down -- just based on what I can extract from this forum and Steve's development notes -- I'm not convinced that DW's PP amps are worth a 2-year wait. There's a hell of a lot of value in being able to spend an extra two years with a good amp, and they are out there and will arrive at your door in a week or two.

OTOH, DW's SET amps, especially the 25th anniversary amp, seem unique enough to wait for. I've seen consistent differences in the way people describe the DW SET vs. PP experience, and I have to say, what owners are describing from the SET amps seems qualitatively different. Something is obviously happening when they listen to DW SET amps that is on a different level.

Only problem: when they want to listen at high levels. For me that's like headphones, rarely do it. If I've had too many beers there's always the Pass Aleph.

I know Steve says his PPs all measure like SETs, but... If I get a Torii, all I'll do is wonder what the 25 would have sounded like, but not the other way around.

The Sarah is an unknown quantity at this time, whereas the 25 is an example of a gifted designer saying, this is as far as I can take this concept. And my listening setup is nearfield.

I could almost replace one of the 25s I have on order with a Mini Torii, and decide for myself which is better, but I think that's getting into gear-mania and another "maybe I need therapy" scenario.

Thanks again for your input, it gets to the pith.

IP Logged
Burgermeester
Seasoned Member

Reply #107 - 08/02/22 at 01:20:59

Shit, I could get 20 hours of therapy for the cost of a UFO25.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #108 - 08/02/22 at 01:25:14

My experience is with both push-pull and single-ended in the Decware line and not just cursory experience--have lived with both of the topology for years (and for a few years both at the same time).

I became seduced by the single-ended sound, and can honestly say I prefer it and would explore more single-ended (the Sarah for example) before I would go back to push-pull. There are so many factors though such as room size, speakers, playback level, source quality and type, etc. but if you don't play exceptionally loud the single-ended are going to offer you a more unique window that as you say may keep you from FOMO. . .;) But any Decware amp will give you exceptional sound in comparison to many others. (You already have a Pass amp though, and one Decware owner I know also has a Pass and won't part with it).

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Burgermeester
Seasoned Member

Reply #109 - 08/02/22 at 01:33:53

Argh, don't tempt me...I could get one 25 and still do a fully-modded Torii Junior, which (I'm not sure what's up on the page now) Steve basically seemed to say was just as good as the Torii Mk. IV, at least.

Heh heh, yeah I'm sure the DW PPs are superior. As I trudged through the heat and humidlty back home from the park near my house, where I feed the stray cat every day, I began thinking, once again, about what a 730-day wait FEELS like. It feels like trudging through endless heat and humidity, forever. I still almost can't wrap my head around it. No, it's too inhumane for me.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #110 - 08/02/22 at 02:00:29

Yes, I'm getting a taste of the long wait with the wait for the Sarah. But there is something to having a great adventure to look forward to.

IP Logged
Mannytheseacow
Ex Member

Reply #111 - 08/02/22 at 03:23:20

I don’t worry about the wait. Two years from now all the current products will be improved and we’ll be first in line.  ;D

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #112 - 08/02/22 at 03:25:51

Good way to look at it. . . .

IP Logged
BicycleJoe Lo-Fi
Seasoned Member

It's all in one
note, Just Listen

Reply #113 - 08/02/22 at 09:45:41

My attitude is the wait list is like it is on layaway. I have been making monthly payments since I made my order.  This allows me to make a purchase over time that otherwise I wouldn't be able to to afford. It allows me the ability to buy a complete system without putting it on a CC and paying interest. The wait list levels the playing field without me dipping into my savings. 10 percent down and X amount of months to pay works to my advantage. It also removes my purchase from being an impulse purchase seeking the thrill of instant gratification.

It also allows Steve the scalability for his increasing demand and having the expense of ramping up his business to stock inventory. This allows Steve to keep cost low and competitive , it gives him an advantage in the world of high end HI-FI. The Direct to Consumer "wholesale" pricing combined with a waitlist is an economical business model with the added bonus of allowing him to pass savings along to his clients and give himself some working capital at the same time. It also allows Steve to have the time to experiment with his ideas and the development of his designs with a healthy dose of QA every step of the way.

"Once there was a note, pure and easy,playing so free like a breath rippling by,the note is eternal, I hear it, it sees me,forever we blend and forever we die".
  IP Logged
Burgermeester
Seasoned Member

Reply #114 - 08/02/22 at 10:03:21

Offshore orders are 100% up front, on the barrelhead. Given the wait, you'd better order everything you think you'll ever need, and when it's 100% up front, OUCH.

Of course, we offshore people have certain perks no one is to know about (BTW Steve -- First Class on All Nippon Airways is a bit spartan, shall we say. May need to find a different carrier for next time).

IP Logged
Burgermeester
Seasoned Member

Reply #115 - 08/02/22 at 10:44:40

Oh dear, I've been indiscrete again

IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #116 - 08/02/22 at 13:27:11

Burger, you still have time to make up for indiscretion Smiley

AMC CD8b>XO3>Cambridge CXN2>ZDAC>ZBOX>braided silver/occ> Zrock2>CSP2+>SE84 milflex copper 25th>9AWG silver/copper braid>lii Crystal 10 in Huijgen cabinets. Ortofon 2M Black>JVC QL-F4/Otari MX5050B2>ZP3. Isolation. AC filtering. Room treatment.
  IP Logged
BicycleJoe Lo-Fi
Seasoned Member

It's all in one
note, Just Listen

Reply #117 - 08/02/22 at 14:13:11

BurgerMeester   Back to the end of the Line
https://youtu.be/0xZGpI7RQuQ

Smiley Smiley Smiley

"Once there was a note, pure and easy,playing so free like a breath rippling by,the note is eternal, I hear it, it sees me,forever we blend and forever we die".
  IP Logged
Kahuna Jack
Seasoned Member

Reply #118 - 08/02/22 at 18:24:58

"Shit, I could get 20 hours of therapy for the cost of a UFO25" says Mr Burger.

I think getting to stare at and listen to a pair of 25th's might prove to be therapy in itself.  [smiley=icqlite20.png]

IP Logged
BicycleJoe Lo-Fi
Seasoned Member

It's all in one
note, Just Listen

Reply #119 - 08/02/22 at 18:38:03

IP Logged
Burgermeester
Seasoned Member

Reply #120 - 08/02/22 at 20:51:52

Speaking of monoblocked 25ths, Steve said:

"With the amps bridged into 6 watts, I found it hard to tell much difference between them and the Zen Mystery Amp, which is 40 watts on those occasions when I got the urge to crank it."

I think this is enough to go on.

FWIW, here is another perspective on power. (Unless you're into "inadvertant ASMR," jump to 18:20 or so.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abdmZbQPQtY&t=7s

I wonder if perceived headroom issues with 2.3 watts are partly related to how well that particular amp is handling speaker impedance. Part of what makes the 25th different seems to be how effectively it rams its watts into hard to drive loads.

Steve, is there any possibility of Decware offering balanced-to-single-ended connectors of the kind described in the SE84UFO25 manual? Maybe priced per meter, for long runs?

IP Logged
BicycleJoe Lo-Fi
Seasoned Member

It's all in one
note, Just Listen

Reply #121 - 08/02/22 at 21:22:51

BurgerMeester asked Quote:
Steve, is there any possibility of Decware offering balanced-to-single-ended connectors of the kind described in the SE84UFO25 manual? Maybe priced per meter, for long runs?

Same Steve question only with the ZP3 and the Rachel in and out balanced connectors.

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #122 - 08/02/22 at 21:35:08

From the thread on new Decware interconnects, ca 5 months ago.

Quote:
Posted by: CAJames      Posted on: 03/01/22 at 15:11:34
I wish Decware would make (or at least offer) the XLR to RCA cables you need to run the UFO amps as balanced monoblocs.

Posted by: Steve Deckert      Posted on: 03/01/22 at 16:22:25
We are working on that.

FYI/FWIW

[FOOBAR2000 | Jay's CDT2 MRK3] -> Denafrips Terminator 2 + Gaia
Sumiko Pearwood -> Mapleknoll Athena -> Luxman SUT -> Maple-tree Phono 3E
Woo WA22 -> 2x UFO25s, balanced monos
Omega SAM , Hifiman Arya, Senn HD-650
  IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #123 - 08/02/22 at 21:42:04

Quote:
Posted by: BicycleJoe Lo-Fi      Posted on: Today at 21:22:51

Same Steve question only with the ZP3 and the Rachel in and out balanced connectors.

ZP3 is single ended (unless you know something special...) and the cables for a single ended mono connection are already available.

IP Logged
BicycleJoe Lo-Fi
Seasoned Member

It's all in one
note, Just Listen

Reply #124 - 08/02/22 at 22:08:31

CA James I don't know anything special but all I see are RCA in and out connectors and no description of balanced input and outputs in the manual or any options to add them. I am not asking about cables, I am asking about the ability to run  balanced signals from the front end to the amplifier output with 2 Rachels run as mono blocks

This is the reason I am asking.

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #125 - 08/02/22 at 22:25:03

If you want to run a balanced connection from your turntable to phonostage (which would be pretty cool) you need something different than the ZP3. A balanced signal is essentially 4 channel and the ZP3 is two channel so it is fundamentally different. I have seen balanced phono stages, although they are pretty "high end" if you know what I mean.

If you want to run balanced to a pair of Rachels you can do that with the same cables you'd use for balanced mono UFOs. See page 17 of the UFO manual for a picture. And, now that I think about it, maybe you could use the same cables and a pair of ZP3s to get a balanced phono stage, although I'd worry about ground and hum and stuff.

Otherwise you'd want to look at a ZBIT for converting balanced to single ended, which is generally a more flexible option than building it into the amp because you can move it around the signal chain as your system evolves.

IP Logged
BicycleJoe Lo-Fi
Seasoned Member

It's all in one
note, Just Listen

Reply #126 - 08/02/22 at 22:43:21

Thanks CAJames for explaining that. I'd like to hear back from Steve how I might be able to accomplish my goal with Decware equipment. Two ZP3's with anniversary mods and upgrades would be north of $4500 or even 5K. It would be pretty close to as good as it gets for a vinyl rig, still ambient temperature would be smoking hot with all that glass.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #127 - 08/02/22 at 23:53:56

You know I don't get the whole "rooms get so hot with tubes" because that just really hasn't been my experience--especially not with preamps that have just input tubes and a rectifier or so.

IP Logged
Kahuna Jack
Seasoned Member

Reply #128 - 08/03/22 at 00:37:13

"You know I don't get the whole "rooms get so hot with tubes" because that just really hasn't been my experience--especially not with preamps that have just input tubes and a rectifier or so"

Testify Lon. none of my Decware units get even close to the heat Ive felt off of the vintage tube amps Ive owned in past ....... but?? my room gets super hot in the summer and sometimes even just looking at a lit up vacuum tube seems to make the room feel hotter even if it's only in my head.

I almost bought a Cary V12 amplifier once ( just to resell not keep) but that thing was only on for a minute and it was ready to roast a luah pig.

One of my deciding factors in dipping back into the vacuum tube world was the fact that heat wouldnt be an issue.

IP Logged
BicycleJoe Lo-Fi
Seasoned Member

It's all in one
note, Just Listen

Reply #129 - 08/03/22 at 00:47:54

Well Lon with my air conditioner off today without amps running the temperature reached 90°F with the windows closed. Of course that is only in the dog days of summer. My Apt is right below the roof compounding the temp.

I'm not saying a normal system would overheat the room but two mono blocks into two phono preamps with a Preamp in a room with no windows and the door closed with little ventilation on a day like today could become quite uncomfortable.

Harley Lovegrove, the technical director of the loudspeaker company 'Pearl acoustics Ltd.' talks about how sound is converted into electricity and how that is amplified so that the loudspeaker's drive cone can convert the electricity back into sound.

Here he talks about the heat in this edited segment https://youtu.be/abdmZbQPQtY?t=1910

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #130 - 08/03/22 at 01:41:39

My UFOs, tube phono stage plus Woo Audio pre/headphone amp aren't nearly as hot as my Pass Labs SEM (single ended mosfet) 100 Watt SS mono amps were. Of course they were 20 times the power so there is that...

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #131 - 08/03/22 at 01:45:26

Joe, That is already too uncomfortable before the amps are run.  That is how my upstairs room is with my system in the peak of the hottest afternoons of the summer (with windows open) without my window AC unit on . It's already too hot to listen, turning on my system doesn't make it worse. And listening with the AC unit on, even if the system were all solid state, is not fun as the AC sound dominates.

But when the room temperature is comfortable listening to my monoblocks and preamps on doesn't make it worse. I'm just reporting my experiences--I don't understand the issue as I don't experience it. I know all about the physics, but the output of heat is just not that significant with Decware amps and preamps. Not even with 33 years before in Texas. Same situation applied--too hot to listen before an amp is even turned on, or listening is fine with the system not making it more uncomfortable.

IP Logged
BicycleJoe Lo-Fi
Seasoned Member

It's all in one
note, Just Listen

Reply #132 - 08/03/22 at 07:45:03

Well I can appreciate that, here I am at 1am in the morning and its 81 degrees with the windows open, although I have air conditioning in both of my main rooms I only run one at a time. When I lived in New Mexico it was often 110° by 10 AM in the morning but it was a dry heat it could be oppressive but the lack of humidity made it more bearable than a 90° day in New York City.

Lon I am glad you mentioned physics because of course most Decware amps are flea watt amps, a watt is a measurement of radiated power and when it comes to heat a watt is a measurement of the energy created. The yottawatt (YW) is equal to one septillion watts (1024 W). The power output of the Sun is 382.8 YW.

The efficiency of a Decware amp also comes from the overbuilt transformers. This efficiency is created by the ratio of a small load with voltage ratio and winding turns ratio both being inversely proportional to the corresponding current ratio. The load impedance referred to the primary circuit is equal to the turns ratio squared times the secondary circuit load impedance. This also allows a Decware amp to run cooler than an amplifier whose transformer has a higher load with fewer windings.

I liked how Harvey Lovegrove said in the summer he switches to Class D 600w mono blocks to keep the temps cooler and in the winter he fires up his Tube Amplifiers, be they SE or PP, and they warm up the room.

IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #133 - 08/03/22 at 12:34:19

My room is totally sealed with the doors closed. I would imagine if one stayed in there long enough(days) oxygen would become scarce. When playing vinly there are 15 tubes being heated. After long sessions the room will get warm from the equipment but I never recall it getting uncomfortable.

Along with power transformers the power supply voltage drop resistors also add a good bit of heat generated.

AMC CD8b>XO3>Cambridge CXN2>ZDAC>ZBOX>braided silver/occ> Zrock2>CSP2+>SE84 milflex copper 25th>9AWG silver/copper braid>lii Crystal 10 in Huijgen cabinets. Ortofon 2M Black>JVC QL-F4/Otari MX5050B2>ZP3. Isolation. AC filtering. Room treatment.
  IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #134 - 08/03/22 at 15:41:06

FWIW the human body generates ~100 Watts at rest. A UFO amp 65.

IP Logged
Burgermeester
Seasoned Member

Reply #135 - 09/29/22 at 04:00:42

Amazed to see that almost 80% of the 1900 orders on the list are for SET amps.

Use a powered subwoofer and an in-line filter? Take a load off your AMP??

Is THIS the answer? Is this a BAD answer?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65eFr2rKy3M

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #136 - 09/29/22 at 04:12:03

This is the answer:

https://www.decware.com/paper43.htm

JMO.

IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #137 - 09/29/22 at 09:23:44

CAJames,

The last sentence in Steve's paper you linked rings words of truth Smiley

IP Logged
Burgermeester
Seasoned Member

Reply #138 - 09/29/22 at 10:16:10

I'm spending thousands of extra $$ to get monoblocked UFO25s. If memory serves, this is what Steve recommends, though I don't think he'd care to get into a discussion of cost/perfomance ratios.

What Danny is describing seems like another way to deal with the problem expressed in the title of this thread -- but I don't know enough to comment. I thought maybe others would.

As we know there are a certain number of forum members who simply won't go to 2.3 watts, thank you no, been there done that. Not with my speakers, not in my room, etc. Not enough power by a long shot.

And as a casual impression, my sense is you can easily get 10 people together to tout the merits of 20 PP watts, but with about 80% of the individual orders on list being for SET amps - one thousand, four hundred SET amps -- there are, oddly, maybe only the same 2-3 people who will say they prefer SET on this forum and have no power issues with it. Aren't people reading Steve's paper?

The thing that caused me to prick up my ears was what if my UFO amp -- with that pure, pure first watt -- is only tasked with everything above 80 Hz (for example), because my stereo RELs are taking care of the rest, using the high-level connection? What then happens to the low-mid to high frequency performance I get from what seems likely to be one of the best SET amps on our soon to be a dystopic hellscape of a planet? Danny's point is that you'd immediately have, in effect, several times more current delivery for those frequency ranges vs. running full range, because most of your current delivery in full range is to deliver the low freqencies. Huile de snake?

IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #139 - 09/29/22 at 10:21:33

Quote:
Is THIS the answer? Is this a BAD answer?

THIS might be the answer for a small speaker driven by mucho watts. BAD answer for the SET 2.3 watt.

It is like comparing apples to oranges.

A SET's output tranny is at it's best interacting with the drivers coil and magnet. Placing anything it the way of that interaction will hamper, delay, mistrack that playfulness. This can be heard readily by changing speaker wires in a good SET system.

The link in that post explains the oranges.

John

IP Logged
Burgermeester
Seasoned Member

Reply #140 - 09/29/22 at 10:28:52

So, SS apple vs. tube orange. Makes sense.

IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #141 - 09/29/22 at 10:42:36

Well, I like apples better than oranges. But, do like your reversal of my comparison Wink

IP Logged
Burgermeester
Seasoned Member

Reply #142 - 09/29/22 at 10:52:24

D'oh! I actually made some effort not to do that!

let's see, if the pass labs is an apple, then...

IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #143 - 09/29/22 at 11:08:25

Oranges are great, but a little more work is involved to enjoy while apples just require a wash Smiley

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #144 - 09/29/22 at 15:43:48

Quote:
Posted by: Burgermeester      Posted on: Today at 10:16:10

...And as a casual impression, my sense is you can easily get 10 people together to tout the merits of 20 PP watts, but with about 80% of the individual orders on list being for SET amps - one thousand, four hundred SET amps -- there are, oddly, maybe only the same 2-3 people who will say they prefer SET on this forum and have no power issues with it....

Perhaps all the people with SETs and high efficiency speakers are too busy listening to music to spend time on message boards.

IP Logged
Burgermeester
Seasoned Member

Reply #145 - 09/29/22 at 19:50:27

The thought had occurred to me.

IP Logged
tempest62
Ex Member

Reply #146 - 09/29/22 at 21:26:19

Well I had a SEP and high efficiency speakers and now I don’t.

Though the HR-1’s are on the lower end of moderately high efficiency and do tits up with the highly exceptional Torii MK 5. It’s everything I ever wanted and so much more.

Little interest here with single ended. I be may get an old SE84 type sometime if someone wants to dump one for cheap, but not wondering about it in the first place.

Brad

IP Logged
Burgermeester
Seasoned Member

Reply #147 - 09/29/22 at 23:21:27

I rest my case.

IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #148 - 09/30/22 at 10:40:04

Tell us more Brad. Good to see your content with the Tori MKV. I believe you mainly listen to chamber music?

IP Logged
tempest62
Ex Member

Reply #149 - 09/30/22 at 21:13:19

Hey John, the journey with my new combo is only at the beginning of its infancy. The amp has like 1 hour on it. The speakers are well broken in, as I got them used here on the forum.

You are quite right, I listen primarily to classical; the baroque and classical periods mostly, yes absolutely chamber mostly. Then jazz fusion/jazz, then early-mid 70’s prog rock (mostly symphonic like ELP, Genesis, Yes, etc in their early-mid iterations), then acoustic, blues, blues-rock, Americana, jazz vocals, rock last.

The sound is full, rich, very well rendered from bottom up, and very detailed all the way through. I have all the volume I need and love, and then some, which is exactly what I didn’t have all to often with winded single ended SEP and tepid single drivers. You need some power with prog rock, rock, jazz rock, blues rock. Single ended and single drivers don’t render it properly especially in the lower frequencies. And to think this is just the beginning, far from several hundred hrs of amp break-in. I’m flabbergasted. The difference to me is like a solid roundhouse right to the side of my head, night and day, not even close.

A better more detailed report in a few months. I don’t listen to audio every day, and an average session might be 1-2 hours, do it takes quite some time.

Brad

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print