Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/23/24 at 07:03:16 

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
the fear of 2.3 watts (Read 34133 times)
Kahuna Jack
Seasoned Member

the fear of 2.3 watts
06/03/22 at 19:08:55

Hoping this helps some with potential Decware owners that are still nervous about 2.3 watts not having enough power to reach healthy listening levels.
Straight to the back page of the book answer is yes 2.3 watts was plenty loud and then some for me in my 10x12 room powering Klipsch rp-8000f.
In fact Im getting out of my seat to turn down the volume more then I am looking to turn it up.

IP Logged
Kahuna Jack
Seasoned Member

Re: the fear of 2.3 watts
Reply #1 - 06/03/22 at 19:38:44

While waiting for my ufo2.1 ( I even ordered a 2nd amp to run in monoblock fashion as I was really afraid I wouldnt have enough headroom on hand). I had just liquidated my lifelong collection of speakers (vintage and newer) of about 60 pair or more. I was in reset mode for my SE flea watt journey. I searched hard for any review of compatibility with the newer lower priced Klipsch line and saw plenty of people questioning if rp-8000f would be a good match but the few answers I found seemed to lean to 'not so much' a good pairing.
Reichert gave a thumbs up with the rp-600m and seems like people even doubted that.The Audiophiliac thumbed up the Cornwall IV combo but that's a much more efficient speaker then rp-8000f.
I bought the rp-8000f's anyway as a stand in speaker until I found  what I really wanted to settle down with and I am glad I did ( sort of ) . My only issue with the rp-8000f's is that they made me lazy in search of finding a better speaker. I was truly surprised of the volume and headroom I got with the UFO2.1 / Klipsch rp-8000f combo. They are on the boomy side due to my small room but it's still a amazing listening experience.

IP Logged
Kahuna Jack
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 06/03/22 at 19:57:06

As far as different perceptions of healthy volume?? the UFO2.1 chased a Prima Luna Dialogue HP ( 8 GL KT88's ) and I found almost the opposite comparison to a recent youtube vid on almost the same amplifiers. I found the bass on the PrimaLuna HP to be soft and fluffy around the edges compared to the finely outlined tightness/grip and detail of the UFO2.1 .
The bass from this combo of UFO2'1 and 8000f vibrates the walls and my furniture in my room to the point where as I said I am turning the volume down as not to disturb the rest of the household.

IP Logged
Kahuna Jack
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 06/03/22 at 20:15:42

source components were very much budget bangers and nothing high end, an older Rotel CD changer with a Audio Alchemy Dac in a Box using older cables with no name on them, probably Vampire wire cables and my speaker cables were some budget Straight Wire Rythm quad wired cables I bought for $1 a foot in the 90's .
Ill upgrade cables when I feel the mood.

I did notice a slight volume drop compared to cd's when I hooked my turntable up with a schiit phono preamp but I removed it to check my preamp gain switch settings on bottom of schiit and I havent followed up on the issue as of yet.

IP Logged
Kahuna Jack
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 06/03/22 at 20:42:15

Besides the PrimaLuna HP the other amps that were used to evaluate the volume levels of my new 2'3 watt per channel UFO2.1 were a NADc370 , a Marantz mm7055 ( using 2 channels only ) and a life long bff of mine a B&K st-202 using a few different average preamps that kick around my shop as test mules.
So I have a good idea what healthy volumes are and the UFO2.1 hasn't disappointed at all.

Oh, I did also try the rp-600m's and they were fine. Not as full and large as 8000f's but I kind of expected that. Until I find a drastic upgrade the Klipsch 8000f's will suit me well.

IP Logged
flargosa

Reply #5 - 06/03/22 at 22:01:31

For me, I can tell my UFO 2 has less power behind the bass, compared to my 300B and other 20 watt amp.  Even with my 95 sensitivity Tekton speakers.  However, the UFO 2 does produce satisfactory bass, provided you do not listen at high listening volumes.  

Sources: 2Qute, Hugo 2, Rega P5, Marantz SACD 8005.
Amps: Decware SE84UFO2, Torii, Nelson Pass Aleph, Elekit 8600s
Speakers: Tekton, Golden Ear Triton Two, HD800S.

IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 06/04/22 at 00:57:22

Brilliant—thanks for posting your feedback. I too have the same speakers and ordered the Rachael to up the power output just to err on the side of caution.

These speakers are terrific. They have continued to impress me each time I moved to a better amp-starting from an AV receiver to a Rega integrated to Schiit Audio’s Aegir monoblocks paired with their tube pre.

Since I have some time on my hands (currently # 700 something on the list), and after continuing to fail at the option of buying used Decware amps, I have decided to go another route and pulled the trigger for a Dennis Had Firebottle KT-88 SEP (to use in the meantime).  Based on my research, if there is one brand that rivals Decware in terms of passionate/happy customers, it’s Inspire.  Dennis, being the former founder/ceo of Cary Audio.  The amp is apparently a tube rollers dream, accepting many different power tubes, such as KT-88, KT-120, or low output tubes such as 6v6.  In fact, I’ve just splurged on a 6v6, while my amp is still being built.  That is my crude way of approximating what the Rachael (at 6 watts) would sound like in my rig.  Though, based on your comments, I have nothing to worry about.

Wondering if there are other members in this group who have tried the Inspire brand and how they compare it with Decware?

Innuos Pulse-Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE R2R-Ic0n4 Autoformer Passive Pre-Sarah 300B SET Amp-ZBIT-Project Carbon Debut TT-Schiit Mani Phono-GIK Room Treatment-Caintuck Audio Magnum Baffles—Li Audio Fast 15 Drivers-P.I. Audio MajikBuss & Puritan PSM 156 Conditioners
  IP Logged
Kahuna Jack
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 06/04/22 at 01:00:30

" I can tell my UFO 2 has less power behind the bass, compared to my 300B and other 20 watt amp"

Yes, and those were the fairly common statements that had me worried about the 2.3 watts being enough. Reading that people felt the amp would get thin upon increased volume before hitting satisfactory volume and the Zrock unit being needed for punch or slam etc.......

Along with the forementioned gear I used with the UFO2.1 , I have alot of gear pass through my hands ( its my hobby ) and I trust my ears enough to understand the different levels of  bass impact and quality. I was currently also listening to NHT 3.3's being driven by a pair of B&K ex442 amps that produced ball punching bass. I also listen to a friends system utilizing a trio of JL Audio Fathom subs along with their own crossover unit. 2 F113's and 1 F110 . So i get 'bass' and what it can sound like.
I attest the UFO2.1 in my small room with very modest gear and the maybe not so ideal rp8000f's deliver bass that is maybe the best Ive heard so far to this point.
I was really surprised.

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #8 - 06/04/22 at 05:28:27

Kahuna Jack, Thank you for your posts. The bass performance you are hearing is a from a few things... speed, ability to drive low impedances, and the lower moving mass of the speakers which increases linearity.

A hifi woofer of 110 grams with a large solid state power amp boasting a damping factor of 3000 to obtain a death grip on the long excursion woofer to "control" it is a very different approach than a woofer with 20 grams of moving mass and a tight suspension that doesn't allow it to move more than a few millimeters. The Klipsch is on the right side of the centerline that divides those two examples.

If you want to hear it taken to the extreme, the 17 gram 15 inch full-range driver in our Master Series open baffles with a crossoverless sensitivity of 100dB and a nearly 2 inch thick solid hardwood baffle will make a big impression. In fact, if you have a small room with room boom, open baffle will usually reduce the room boom issue by 50%. .

I'm not trying to sell you speakers, I am just suggesting that the 2 watts with speakers approaching this ideal are always going to slam harder than big solid state on multi-driver speakers and subs.  That's why we do this.  We like sound that approaches real in ideal conditions and this is so far been the best way to get there, having tried many approaches over the past 30 years.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #9 - 06/04/22 at 18:19:40

FWIW the bass from my UFOs (configured as balanced monoblocs) is better, and not by a small margin, with my Omega SAMs then it was with my Pass Aleph 2 100 watt SEM (single ended mosfet) monos.

[FOOBAR2000 | Jay's CDT2 MRK3] -> Denafrips Terminator 2 + Gaia
Sumiko Pearwood -> Mapleknoll Athena -> Luxman SUT -> Maple-tree Phono 3E
Woo WA22 -> 2x UFO25s, balanced monos
Omega SAM , Hifiman Arya, Senn HD-650
  IP Logged
Kahuna Jack
Seasoned Member

Reply #10 - 06/04/22 at 18:38:40

Yes what Steve said. lol . I'm not a very technical person in fact other then reading ohms I can barely use a multimeter. So although I'm aware of spl , db , room pressurizing factors etc I try to stick with simple descriptions rather then fumble technical descriptions.

What I do have is 40+ years of "playing with" tons of different audio pieces buying,selling,trading and owning short term and long term which has given me the comforting tool of what Ive read Steve refer to as "instincts" . Even with instincts on ones side the fact that pure truth is found only by hooking stuff up and listening for yourself tweaking along the way if you can smell victory.

The fact that Im even discussing the bass quality between a 8 KT88 tube power amp vs a 2 watt  tube amp is amazing to me.

Thanks Steve for the description and the amps. I do have a pair of F15 drivers still in the box ( no baffles yet) but as I said what I'm listening to with the 8000f's has made me super lazy in pursuit of upgrading. We'll see how long that lasts lol

IP Logged
Kahuna Jack
Seasoned Member

Reply #11 - 06/04/22 at 18:45:39

[highlightFWIW the bass from my UFOs (configured as balanced monoblocs) is better, and not by a small margin, with my Omega SAMs then it was with my Pass Aleph 2 100 watt SEM (single ended mosfet) monos.
][/highlight]

Awesome , I've yet to invest real time into running both of my amps as monoblocks. I cant wait.

IP Logged
Mannytheseacow
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 06/05/22 at 01:01:30

Coming from the solid state world where volume/tone is linear what strikes me most about my zkit with the 25th anniversary mods into F15s in an open baffle is how much tone changes. Zero is zero and 10 is too loud but 3.5-7 is more a change in tone than volume. 3.5 is more bass heavy and 7 is more treble, where 4 on the volume knob seems to be optimum and really quite an impressive bass response.

IP Logged
Lin
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 06/05/22 at 02:21:48

"Coming from the solid state world where volume/tone is linear"

Never heard that one before.

IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #14 - 06/05/22 at 16:12:43

Why is Lin now shown as an ex-member???

(2)SE84UFO(Balanced Monoblocs) OR Sansui AU-222
Crown sub amp
Cambridge Audio CXN(ModWright) • ZBIT
SL-1210MK5(KAB Mods) Soundsmith Aida MKll cart • Darlington Labs MP-7
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
Lii Audio PT-10/W-15 in open baffles
  IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #15 - 06/05/22 at 16:21:47

From another thread:

Quote:
Posted by: Donnie      Posted on: Today at 15:11:20
I didn't do it!

He was on last night.

[FOOBAR2000 | Jay's CDT2 MRK3] -> Denafrips Terminator 2 + Gaia
Sumiko Pearwood -> Mapleknoll Athena -> Luxman SUT -> Maple-tree Phono 3E
Woo WA22 -> 2x UFO25s, balanced monos
Omega SAM , Hifiman Arya, Senn HD-650
  IP Logged
Kahuna Jack
Seasoned Member

Reply #16 - 06/05/22 at 18:51:39

@Mannytheseacow

which brings up another factor that different recordings will have different sweet spots . i have found some recordings that dont sound so great on this system ( mainly older rock recordings ) which is when people start talking about the zrock i suppose. The exposure of poor recordings with high resolution systems is not new to me, thats why I'll always have a 2nd and/or 3rd system more lenient towards 70's double live rock lp's , muddy Aerosmith, ZZ top records etc etc etc.

IP Logged
Kahuna Jack
Seasoned Member

Reply #17 - 06/05/22 at 19:04:03

@Kamran

I also picked up a second hand Racheal after receiving my ufo2.1's . I hooked it up to make sure it was working but didnt want to distract from my study of the ufo2.1's so I put it on the 'soon to explore' shelf . I didnt listen to it long enough to comment on what I heard other then my ears were pleased with what I did briefly hear.

The Klipsch rp line sure does bring out alot of various opinions but all I know is i love listening to mine and will be keepers even when I do find something more room cooperative.

Ill drop some listening observations when I spend some time with the Racheal and the 8000f's .

IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #18 - 06/05/22 at 20:29:01

Quote:
Repeat political commenting in contravention to Decware forum rules

Show me an example of a political post from him. I think he just got fed up with all the back and forth about nothing, and bowed out on his own - like Archie.

(2)SE84UFO(Balanced Monoblocs) OR Sansui AU-222
Crown sub amp
Cambridge Audio CXN(ModWright) • ZBIT
SL-1210MK5(KAB Mods) Soundsmith Aida MKll cart • Darlington Labs MP-7
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
Lii Audio PT-10/W-15 in open baffles
  IP Logged
EdwardT
Seasoned Member

Reply #19 - 06/05/22 at 20:30:27

“ i have found some recordings that dont sound so great on this system ( mainly older rock recordings )”

This is because those recordings don’t sound great. Smiley
The material is great but the mastered mixes not-so-much. Giles Martin and Steven Wilson have shown us that the multitracks can sound wonderful and robust making me believe a different kind of volume war reduced the overall fidelity.

IP Logged
BicycleJoe Lo-Fi
Seasoned Member

It's all in one
note, Just Listen

Reply #20 - 06/05/22 at 20:32:35

Kahuna Jack wrote

Quote:
I also picked up a second hand Racheal after receiving my ufo2.1's . I hooked it up to make sure it was working but didnt want to distract from my study of the ufo2.1's so I put it on the 'soon to explore' shelf . I didnt listen to it long enough to comment on what I heard other then my ears were pleased with what I did briefly hear.
The Klipsch rp line sure does bring out alot of various opinions but all I know is i love listening to mine and will be keepers even when I do find something more room cooperative.
Ill drop some listening observations when I spend some time with the Racheal and the 8000f's .

I'm not sure how much of the controversy over the RP600M you have researched but truth be told everyone who has followed this video has seen why the 600 M is lacking and what they can do about it. It is a budget speaker meeting a consumer level budget price point and low quality parts were used. To me it doesn't make sense to have the finest in hi-fi equipment paired with hyped up marketing. It is mostly because of this company's GR-Research and upgrade kit that pushed Klipsch to redesign the speaker. While they followed some of the advice and upgraded some things the marketing claims that are still simply untrue even for the RP600 M II

https://youtu.be/NH4xI5VXR_o part 1

https://youtu.be/zX-tf2b2OMQ part 2

and the RP-600M II recorded 2 days ago

https://youtu.be/VHfDMYpJnB4 introduction RP-600M II

"Once there was a note, pure and easy,playing so free like a breath rippling by,the note is eternal, I hear it, it sees me,forever we blend and forever we die".
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #21 - 06/05/22 at 20:53:51

He was not evicted by Donnie, and was not breaking that rule.

He may have accidentally done this, I once deleted my account and everything disappeared, all posts, not even showing me as an ex-member.

Hope all is well Lin.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
BicycleJoe Lo-Fi
Seasoned Member

It's all in one
note, Just Listen

Reply #22 - 06/05/22 at 21:37:15

Lon Wrote Quote:
He was not evicted by Donnie, and was not breaking that rule.

I might be mistaken I thought I read a thread where this was covered. Maybe it was a different member that was evicted by Donnie.
Apologies I have no traction in that game.

"Once there was a note, pure and easy,playing so free like a breath rippling by,the note is eternal, I hear it, it sees me,forever we blend and forever we die".
  IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #23 - 06/05/22 at 21:49:40

@Kahuna Jack: Will look forward to your observations. Btw, which year of manufacture Rachael did you get (if you remember offhand)? Any mods on it?

My Dennis Had KT-88 SEP ships tomorrow.  Already pulled the trigger on the Pope 6V6GT’s, so I can test the amp on a lower power tube.  Although Dennis told me start breaking it in with the KT-88’s that ship with the amp.

Innuos Pulse-Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE R2R-Ic0n4 Autoformer Passive Pre-Sarah 300B SET Amp-ZBIT-Project Carbon Debut TT-Schiit Mani Phono-GIK Room Treatment-Caintuck Audio Magnum Baffles—Li Audio Fast 15 Drivers-P.I. Audio MajikBuss & Puritan PSM 156 Conditioners
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #24 - 06/05/22 at 22:02:48

piezo-man (Brad) was the member who felt the hammer of Donnie the Admin owner of the Red Torri.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Nick324

Reply #25 - 06/06/22 at 18:13:01

Back on track reference 2.3 watts and if they provide enough power,?  I am using my Zen25th to power 1976 KlipschHorns. My gut reaction was to purchase a pair and run them as mono-blocks but I already owned amps that push 3 wpc, 12wpc, 25wpc, 35wpc and more via solid state pieces too. I decided to keep it as clean and simple as possible and stuck to just purchasing a single unit. Not only do my K-horns sound excellent my Ωmega XRS6 Alnico speakers also play just fine on 2.3 wpc. As I go down the line to less sensitive speakers volume output lowers and clipping will become an issue so I play the amp to its strengths not it’s deficiencies. Keep your speakers over 96db sensitivity and you should get proper output. Over 100db sensitivity and you will never feel underpowered or lacking in volume ability. My .02 opinion and experience worth nothing to anyone who can’t visit and experience it for themselves in my room. Thank you Mr. Deckert for the wonderful products. Love them.

Innuos Zenith MKIII > Lampizator Baltic3 > Vinnie Rossi L2iSE > SE341.5 or SE84UFO25, >> Heresy, K-horn, Philharmonic BMR, Ωmega Super 6XRS Alnico, LSIM703, Falcon LS3/5A, Steve's TR’s, Tube-Tots.
  IP Logged
lazb
Seasoned Member

Reply #26 - 06/06/22 at 19:22:31

My ZEN25th handling Spatial Audio Labs X3s quite handily! Huge sound from these speakers. Had no problem with it handling the DNA2s either. Just to be on the safe side, I am leaving my 2nd ZEN25th order in place. DECWARE watts seem to be much more powerful than the industry standard!?!?!?!?   Grin Wink Cheesy

IP Logged
Kahuna Jack
Seasoned Member

Reply #27 - 06/06/22 at 20:50:48

@Kamran

Dennis Had amps look like fun. I love looking at all of the independent builders tube amps on the glow in the dark site.

My Racheal is a .4 version from 2014 . It has ufo outputs , square block jupiter caps , blue rca sub jacks and 2 stepped volume controls and 1 set of inputs. Ill have to look closer to see what/if any mods/upgrades are on it.

IP Logged
Kahuna Jack
Seasoned Member

Reply #28 - 06/06/22 at 21:18:41

@BicycleJoe

" It is a budget speaker meeting a consumer level budget price point and low quality parts were used "

Just like the classic Epi 100 speaker that sold millions.... why ?? because it was affordable and sounded soooooooooooooooooo amazingly good. I look forward to getting a chance to listen to the new 600m II's !

I love overhyped products ! my as seen on tv Ginsu knife from 1972 is still the sharpest knife in my drawer ! my well aged High Karate still gets me babes and Ill be dining on a fat delicious burger tonight courtesy of Mr. George Forman and his electric grill. Thanks Geoege , you da man !!

IP Logged
Kahuna Jack
Seasoned Member

Reply #29 - 06/06/22 at 21:30:16

@ EdwardT

yup lol , my Rainbow ( blackmore/dio) On Stage lp has been my "go to" to see how crappy I can get my stereo to sound forever but I yet to hear the remaster . Im not getting my hopes up to high but hey who knows ?

IP Logged
tempest62
Ex Member

Reply #30 - 06/07/22 at 04:23:43

Kahuna. you’re a trip.

I found that in the end, 3.2 SEP watts didn’t slice the loaf good enough for my tastes. Then again, that was a Taboo MK 4-25th that wasn’t designed for speakers first in mind.

I’m really looking forward to my Torii MK 5.

Brad

IP Logged
Earthbound
Seasoned Member

Reply #31 - 06/07/22 at 11:11:16

Looking forward to hearing as well. Like Brad, I purchased an mkv because my friend has the mkiii and it’s so nice. Now he got the 25th anniversary, with the csp3-25. Can’t wait to hear the differences. This is going to be a fun journey!

IP Logged
Kahuna Jack
Seasoned Member

Reply #32 - 06/07/22 at 19:12:06

@tempest62

keep in mind my room is only 10x12 and Im sitting fairly close to speakers then factor in what Im sure helps the cause is that so far Ive stuck mainly to what I consider pretty dynamic recordings. I have a small stack of what I guess are my 'reference' cd's ( im not a streamer) that seem to be a tad louder then the majority of my collection.

I dont know if they are bass/volume boosted in that loudness war thing or just realy well recorded . I only pay about 1/2 attention to micro details with stuff like that.
Emmylou Harris 'wrecking ball ' Dylan 'Oh Mercy' /' time out of mind' Mark Knopfler 'ragpickers dream' , a couple Lyle Lovett cd's ..... those recordings seem to shine a bit more in then most of the stuff I normally listen to.

IP Logged
tempest62
Ex Member

Reply #33 - 06/07/22 at 22:33:14

kahuna,

i have the exact same size room as you. i sit at the apex of a 7x7x7 triangle. single driver speakers. with the taboo, too many recordings were a tad lean, some more than others, and that’s with zrock2 bass eq and a single subwoofer.

i can only say the overall presentation and rendering by Steve’s 2.3w UFO2 has to be quite superior to the 3.2w Taboo. Like I mentioned earlier, the Taboo MK 4 was developed for headphones first in mind, and speakers are secondary. I tried to make the Taboo work for me, but I’m the end no dice. For headphones, that amp is insanely great…..for speakers not so much, at least to my ears and my goals. I lived and I learned.

IP Logged
Sean
Seasoned Member

Reply #34 - 06/08/22 at 18:46:24

I had no fear of 2.3 watts until after I got my amp. I had more fear of waiting to get one. I kept my eyes and ears open and snagged one off ebay. It's 18 yrs old, but it got me in the game. Hooked it up and immediately noticed the quickness of the amp, but it lacked any extension up high or down low, but it DID have that airy spread out sound I was wishing for.

My setup is for vinyl only, but I do have the ability to add in a streamer. I was using a Mofi Studiodeck, AT OC9/III, Jolida JD9 and Tekton Pendragons (94db-ish?). The SE84C-EX just didn't measure up to the Jolida 1102 (20w tube amp). Damn. After a few weeks I pulled the Decware and put the Jolida back in. Oh well.

Few weeks ago I had to shuffle turntables in the house and put my Dual 721 in place of the Mofi. Well, well, well...with the Jolida amp I found more highs and lows, let's see what the Decware can do. Immediately I heard 2.3 watts WAS plenty. Bass was back in town and the highs too. I havent turned that Mofi on since. It's got to be something in the setup on that table but I spent hours setting that table up. I recently added a DHC3 and a DHC2 and I'm very satisfied with my setup. Currently I want for nothing...except maybe a UFO!

Technics 1210G, AT OC9III, Cinemag 1254 SUT, ZP3, CSP2+, SE84UFO, Tekton Pendragon

Schiit Bifrost, Mac Mini, Roon
  IP Logged
Bilyeaux
Seasoned Member

Reply #35 - 06/08/22 at 21:27:44

Sean,

I have been enjoying my 2.1 since mid-Oct. 21 and love it. Ordered the CSP3 end of Nov 21. I also had some concerns about 2.3 watts, mainly no reference as never listened to a tube amp before. But my speakers are 98db,
and all I read indicated I was good, and I was. My room is pretty much 15 x 15 x 9, so not best configuration, but lots of natural diffusion, with some open walls that I think helps with reflections.

The first thing I noticed was the excellent sound, deep, fast, luscious. And volume for me has been great. According to my iPhone app I enjoy listening in the 75-85 decibel range up to low 90's if I want to push it, but don't very much. It is so wonderful sounding at moderate levels there is no desire.

I do have the XLR connections and enjoy that bit of gain, but it is also fine without, as experiments have shown.

ARC LS25MK2, UFO2.1 & Denafrips Pontus II DAC, PSA P300 Regen, Rega P6 w/ NEO and Rega MM Phono, Marantz CD6006, Bluesound Node 2i, Nakamitchi Cassette, Syzygy Sub, Omega JR XRS Towers & 74' Heresy rebuilt from Crites, ZWIRE speaker, DSRXLR, AQ connects
  IP Logged
Kahuna Jack
Seasoned Member

Reply #36 - 06/08/22 at 23:23:33

We'll the student in me failed. I was determined to focus on the UFO2.1 / 8000f combo only until I felt I had a solid grip on what I was hearing with a variety of recordings and even further with upgrading wires/cables maybe even a better dac ( i hate dacs for some reason ).
A local ( fell onto my lap ) purchase of a pair of Zu Audio Omen MK II's poked me in my ribs until I hooked them up for a listen. I didnt really want to yet as Ive made that mistake in past of swapping out too many components all at once and then having to go back and re evaluate everything.
I didnt spend as much time as I wanted to with the new Zu's but very first impression was much much less bass. I havent played with base hight / spikes on my medium thick carpet or play with placement at all so further listening will tell me more of a truth. I should have waited for a bit. Now Im going to have to backtrack on my studies.
I think before I bring the 8000f's back in and/or make baffles for my F15's I am going to take both Klipsch and Zu's outside on my car port for a open air listen to see what I get. Free of room influence.

IP Logged
Kahuna Jack
Seasoned Member

Reply #37 - 06/09/22 at 20:08:54

Adjusting base spikes to full height ( ports are on bottom and sitting on medium grade carpet) on Zu's brought a more realistic bass response I thought I would get. The Klipsch still filled the room with more bottom end now it's just a matter of study with further listening of different recordings to determine if the Zu's just have better accurate bass vs the Klipsch 'hulk smash' bass. I have tried stuffing the rear ports on the 8000f's with mixed results.
F15's still in background poking me.

IP Logged
Bottlehead
Seasoned Member

Reply #38 - 06/10/22 at 05:35:18

KJ,

I used to have a pair of Zu with down-firing bass. In addition to moving them up and down with the spikes, I played around with putting them on small pieces of plywood, basically just big enough to catch all four spikes. Definitely got more bass. I felt like the carpet was muffling what was there. YMMV.

Randy

IP Logged
Kahuna Jack
Seasoned Member

Reply #39 - 06/10/22 at 21:34:46

@Bottlehead ,

Was thinking the same thing. Custom platform ideas floating in my head.
Glass? Marble ? Wood ? Im sure different reflective surfaces will produce different results.

And on side note a pair of Jamo s803's ?? cheap popular bookshelf speakers everyone reviewed came thru my hands for the evening only so of course I had to introduce them to 2.3 watts of Decware. I think they are on lower side of efficiency but they produced loud and clean volume and with plenty of bass too for such a small front ported speaker. I was not expecting that so I also had a pair of the cheap Sony css-s5 ?? for the night and the results werent as positive. The Sony's struggled a bit to breathe and open up to get a decent listen in. I think they were close in efficiency to the Jamo's as well.

So even though my goal is for a end game higher end speaker to mate with UFO2.1 it is nice to know someone can most certainly snag a great sounding system with the 2.1 and some affordable speakers.

IP Logged
LiquidBlue

Reply #40 - 06/11/22 at 02:05:14

Hey. New guy here. I’d heard of Decware a few years ago and considered getting a Zen amp, but the 2.3 watts scared me off. My speakers are about 93db, 8ohm, but I was worried it may be on the cusp of not efficient enough. I ended up with a Schiit Freya+ and Aegir amp, which sound great in the system, but I still had that remorse of not getting the Zen amp. After rave YouTube reviews and tons of reading on the forum and research, I finally got on the waitlist for a SE84UFO25 last Fall. I’ve since gotten a CSP3 used, sent it to the mothership for full anniversary upgrades and have awakened to the beauty that is Decware. I’m very excited to get the Zen anniversary amp hopefully within the year. Still I’m concerned if it will fit well into my system or if I’m being an idiot by rejecting the idea of just going to a Torii and having none of this anxiety. I know 20watts works great, no issue. …Nope, gonna stick with the plan.

@Sean you bring up something that’s been a concern of mine. You were running an ATOC9 on your Studiodeck, but weren’t satisfied. It looks like the only change you made was to the turntable, but didn’t mention which cartridge was on the Dual turntable. The OC9 looks like a low output cart (0.4mV). I’m wondering if your cart on the Dual deck is a higher output cart, thus giving higher voltage output to the Zen amp.

I’m running a Mofi Ultradeck with a similar output 0.4mV Hana ML and a Sutherland phono stage with 60db max gain. That’s essentially 0.4Volts into the CSP3a. I really love this cart! But, I’m wondering if I may find it to be too low of output and need a higher output cart. Or if I can sufficiently adjust with gain on the CSP3 or more importantly for now I guess, if I should just give in and go for that Torii. Really resisting giving up on that Zen Amp that I regret not getting from the start! Seems like it ultimately worked out for you Sean.

Mofi Ultradeck w/ Hana ML>Sutherland Insight>Eversolo DMP-A6>CSP3-A>SE84UFO25>Energy Veritas>REL T7i
  IP Logged
Sean
Seasoned Member

Reply #41 - 06/11/22 at 14:26:47

@CrayzeeDJ,

I have two OC9's, one on the Dual and one on the Mofi, so it was just a TT change, no other changes were made. Could be the alignment, arm height, tonearm wiring, etc...

Technics 1210G, AT OC9III, Cinemag 1254 SUT, ZP3, CSP2+, SE84UFO, Tekton Pendragon

IP Logged
LiquidBlue

Reply #42 - 06/12/22 at 19:29:28

Thanks Sean. Goes to show every little thing can make a difference and that you’ll never really know until you try things out for yourself in your own system

Mofi Ultradeck w/ Hana ML>Sutherland Insight>Eversolo DMP-A6>CSP3-A>SE84UFO25>Energy Veritas>REL T7i
  IP Logged
Kahuna Jack
Seasoned Member

Reply #43 - 06/13/22 at 21:04:27

" you’ll never really know until you try things out for yourself in your own system "

pure truth , and hopefully you've heard enough of a variety of components/recordings that you can draw your own satisfactory conclusions then factor in changes of taste ..... then finally get to enjoy the music itself and not worry so much about the system.

I can see playing vinyl 'may' take a little more effort then cd and stream play in getting happy full volume and dynamics with the 2.1. I reset the gain switches on schiit mani to give me 48db of gain ( mani's medium setting) with my 'polite' sounding shure m91ed ( sl1200mk3) and I got closer to what I was hearing with cd/dac combo. I still had to set the volume knob a tad higher but with the few lp's I tried I got the bass pop and overall volume to a happy place.

I do own more expensive( better?) cartridges and tables and also picked up a zp3 but Im sticking with what I fisrt started with ( klipsch 8000f back in ) to finish this round of evaluation. 2.3 watts still rocking my world.

IP Logged
Kahuna Jack
Seasoned Member

Reply #44 - 06/13/22 at 21:32:22

I compare this audio joy level of the ufo2.1/klipsch system to the maybe 3 times in my life that I had a "oh wow are you hearing that?" moment.

first time I ever heard(or saw) julias futterman otl amps driving some multi cell horn speaker system ( Stepehens Tru Sonic i believe) this was 1980's

first time I walked in a stereo shop and heard some Cary SE (330b or 805 i cant remember) amps driving either apogees or carver amazing loudspeakers playing some trendy audio store music for the time ( late 80's early 90's) Andreas Vollenweider probably.

first time hearing Soundlab electrostatics . they were being driven by some highly modified Altec tube amps I dont know model numbers of those big green industrial amplifiers and he had a micro seiki table with 3 different arm/cart combos but I cant remember preamp used.

those were moments that stood out miles apart from my reglar listening patterns

too long ago to compare actual sonic comparisons but Im talking about the joy level of listening

IP Logged
Sean
Seasoned Member

Reply #45 - 06/14/22 at 01:47:07

Kahuna,

Before my dip into MC’s, I was a Shure guy. 91, 95 and V15. I had SAS stylus on them all. The 95 was my favorite with the 91 2nd.  The V15 was a bit too sharp and I sold it.

Couple months ago, before using the Decware amp, I sat down with one record I knew well (Alice in Chains Unplugged) and all my tubes and wires. Played that one side ALL weekend long. My wife was thrilled! The JD9 has 3 gain settings and I think 9 loading settings. I changed things one by one according to a chart I made. In the end, I knew much better how each changed the sound. I’ve got to do it again with the Decware amp now. I found tubes and settings on the JD9 to be the most influential on sound changes. Interconnects had an effect, but not as much as the tubes and settings.

I’m currently on vacation in a swamp and can’t wait to get back to my system.

IP Logged
armstdav
Seasoned Member

Reply #46 - 06/14/22 at 15:12:45

Sean,

I also own a JD9, and while tubes and gain/loading settings definitely make a difference, I found the biggest improvement came with rolling the op amps. I tried a couple low cost options that were still better than the cheap OEM chips, but ended up with Burson Audio V5i in all six positions. I also changed out the coupling caps for Jupiter Beeswax; they were better but the difference was more subtle.

I love the flexibility of the JD9!

David

IP Logged
Sean
Seasoned Member

Reply #47 - 06/14/22 at 19:29:13

Forgot all about the op amps. I tried bunches of them, a local friend has one as well and I went through his leftovers and ordered others. I believe I settled on LT1028’s in two slots and BB637’s in the other. Been awhile since I opened it up. I went with Audyn True Copper caps and Raytheon windmill getter 5751 tubes. My issue with the jd9 is the SHHHHHHH HISS. With no music playing it becomes audible when my amp goes past half way on the volume. I rarely listen that loud so it’s livable.

The JD9 is perfect for modding and tinkering, not many other phono pre’s offer that at its price point.

IP Logged
Kahuna Jack
Seasoned Member

Reply #48 - 06/14/22 at 20:26:21

"The JD9 is perfect for modding and tinkering, not many other phono pre’s offer that at its price point"

@Sean

the schiit mani is more of just a tool in my tool box and is small and easy to use . I did feel I needed an in between setting from the med to high switch positions with the 91ed so extra control would be a blessing.

I have yet to play with my zp3 so Im not sure where its sweet spot is going to rest as far as cartridge compatibility. I have a drawer full of used carts so Im sure I'll find something that sings well with it.
I dont take my vinyl listening super super serious as some although I tend to pretend that I do??

Ive never popped for a premium stylus for the m91ed just the common evg's . Ive owned and sold many V series but have never really invested heavy time in listening. The only mc I ever spent serious time with was a Dynavector Ruby Karat through a Marcof pre and that was years ago so Im sure current mc's out perform the Ruby Karat by miles but then again who knows?

IP Logged
armstdav
Seasoned Member

Reply #49 - 06/14/22 at 21:25:49

Sean,

I found that the hiss definitely varied with the tubes, and I was able to eliminate it completely with the Sovtek 12AX7LPS. If you haven't tried them it's worth acquiring a pair to test.

David

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print