Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/23/24 at 15:38:56 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Open baffle-1 large driver vs 4 smaller drivers (Read 1924 times)
z-adamson
Verified Member

Open baffle-1 large driver vs 4 smaller drivers
05/06/22 at 23:20:36

In this case, for discussion sake, 1 Lii audio F15 vs 4 Betsy drivers per side, open baffle.

Currently trying to decide between the two.

What do you think?

I have done 4 per side, but not Betsy drivers. Never done 1 driver per side. I have only done 2way OB set-ups, full range driver(s) and helper woofer(s). I want to try a crossoverless system. Cant decide between 4 Betsys or a Lii F15. I can see pros and cons for each.

IP Logged
EdwardT
Seasoned Member

Re: Open baffle-1 large driver vs 4 smaller drivers
Reply #1 - 05/09/22 at 12:09:56

The only downside I can see to four drivers is that you can’t get the centers close enough to avoid comb filtering at the higher frequencies. Now that might only be troublesome off axis and if the listening position is very precise it might not be a big problem, but it will happen.

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #2 - 05/09/22 at 14:00:45

What's the impedance of the 4 drivers in parallel? That would be my concern if you have a low powered amp.

[FOOBAR2000 | Jay's CDT2 MRK3] -> Denafrips Terminator 2 + Gaia
Sumiko Pearwood -> Mapleknoll Athena -> Luxman SUT -> Maple-tree Phono 3E
Woo WA22 -> 2x UFO25s, balanced monos
Omega SAM , Hifiman Arya, Senn HD-650
  IP Logged
z-adamson
Verified Member

Reply #3 - 05/11/22 at 00:17:06

Impedance...

It would be four 8 ohm drivers wired in series parallel for an 8 ohm load. Easy for the amp.

IP Logged
z-adamson
Verified Member

Reply #4 - 05/11/22 at 00:20:34

I did consider the possible comb filtering. On the other hand the problem with a single 15 is possible beaming, with such a large cone. Also, smaller cones are stiffer cones, all else equal. Dividing the power between 4 voice coils is not a bad thing either. So.....hmmm

IP Logged
Edsonic
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 05/11/22 at 00:42:15

You might visit the Betsy Open Baffle subforum on this site; https://www.decware.com/cgi-bin/yabb22/YaBB.pl?board=randy

Randy and others there have experience and/or know others with experience in cobbling together different driver configurations in OB. A lot of commentary on the Lii F15 et al. Have you seen the specs on the Lii Audio site?  

The F15 with Mms 13.70 grams. Pretty amazing.

IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 05/11/22 at 18:23:17

I used, not four Betsy, but three Visaton in OB, touching on the baffle, close as I could get them.
Biggest trouble was the combing, as already mentioned.
At first you had not mentioned your amp or set up.  

My attempt worked OK in some ways and with great sound, except if I moved my head a few degrees.
The upper mids and highs would dance around if I even breathed.
I was trying to get more spread from a partial linear array.

Kind of like EdwardT cited, the sweet spot was smaller than my head and hard to find.

I went back to using woofers that petered out about where the Visaton came into its range AND just the one eight inch driver.

What are you trying to accomplish?

SE84Cs Mono'ed, Lii Audio F15 OB, W15 "H" Frame Subwoofer, McIntosh MC2500, Lazarus Pre, Dual TT, Ortofon, Kleenline Iso Power, Revox, Crown R-R, Pioneer Elite Digital Source
  IP Logged
dank
Seasoned Member

pair of dual 18
Imperials

Reply #7 - 05/18/22 at 01:26:18

I have never had any luck putting speakers in series.  Parallel has ALWAYS sounded better to me.  Even to the point of adding a series resistor so I can put all the drivers in parallel and still meet the amplifiers minimum impedance requirement.

I think that it might have something to do with series inductance's adding and messing up the high frequencies because of that.  If so, maybe its ok if you are not dealing with full range, like I usually am.

Dan

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print