Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/19/24 at 22:45:50 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
SE84UFO25 25th Anniversary Switch (Read 3337 times)
Sai

SE84UFO25 25th Anniversary Switch
04/07/22 at 21:52:24

Just got my amp. Listened to it for about 15 minutes and wow! Something very special about this little amp. Had 3 questions:

- What does the 25th Anniversary Switch do?
- Is it safe to flip the switch mid listening? Or do you turn off the amp, change it, and then turn it back on?
- What setting do you use? And why?

Thanks all!

Zu Soul Supreme V, Torii MKV 25th Anniversary Mods, Rogue Audio RP7, Aurender N100H, Denafrips Ares II, Nottingham Space 294 w. Shelter Harmony MC, AllNic H-1202 Phono
  IP Logged
GroovySauce
Seasoned Member

Re: SE84UFO25 25th Anniversary Switch
Reply #1 - 04/07/22 at 22:31:27

Sai,

Congratulations!

If you are referencing the switch in the front center. That changes the bias for the input tube. Leave the amp on. Go ahead and switch it while it's playing. You will hear a pop through the speakers. the meters will dance and the VR tubes will blink. This is fine.

There is no right or wrong try both and see which you enjoy more.

I prefer it towards the back with my PAP quintet.

Also try switching the Hi/Low switches on the back. They should both be in the same position. This is the hi or low ohm setting for speakers. Try both and see which you prefer.

Maximus NEO TT|ViV Rigid Float TA | Phasemation PP-200 or Hana ML | Sutherland Little Loco MK2 | Innuos ZENith MK3 | LampizatOr GA TRP | EMIA Remote Autoformer | STL "Super Tube Rectifier" STR-1002 | SRA Cables | PAP Quintet 15 1.6 Voxativ |Torus AVR15
  IP Logged
Sai

Reply #2 - 04/07/22 at 22:39:00

Thanks so much GroovySauce! Much appreciated. Will try switching the settings around and see what I like. I have it set back right now as well… will try it all 🙂

Zu Soul Supreme V, Torii MKV 25th Anniversary Mods, Rogue Audio RP7, Aurender N100H, Denafrips Ares II, Nottingham Space 294 w. Shelter Harmony MC, AllNic H-1202 Phono
  IP Logged
GroovySauce
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 04/09/22 at 11:58:05

Seems I jumped the gun a little on the bias switch. Before 3 days ago it's been 2 years since I had the UFO25TH in my system. Now it's a completely different system.

Last night I ended up with the bias switch toward the front of the amp. With the switch in the back position the bass was a little bloated. Currently I'm running an OC3 tube in the front. I have an OD3 on order. Running that tube, I might prefer the switch in the back position.

Maximus NEO TT|ViV Rigid Float TA | Phasemation PP-200 or Hana ML | Sutherland Little Loco MK2 | Innuos ZENith MK3 | LampizatOr GA TRP | EMIA Remote Autoformer | STL "Super Tube Rectifier" STR-1002 | SRA Cables | PAP Quintet 15 1.6 Voxativ |Torus AVR15
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4 - 04/09/22 at 12:17:49

I've always had the switch towards the front. .. regardless of tube choices. Just works best in my systems.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Sai

Reply #5 - 04/09/22 at 20:02:24

Interesting, I am using the OC3/VR105 from Steve. And having it switched back gave the sound more energy overall. Not just in the bass department, but mids and treble as well. I need to try the other 2 tubes that Steve provided in there.

Also, one quick comparison between the Torii MKV and SE84UFO25. At the exact same preamp volume and all else being the same. The dB levels were different (as expected) on Mark Knopfler’s Prairie Wedding. Sure I’m not being super scientific in the measurement, but neither is my listening.

Torii: Min - 63 dB, Max - 84 dB, Avg 71 dB
SE84UFO25: Min - 67 dB, Max - 77 dB, Avg 71 dB

SE84UFO25 in my setup is plenty loud!

IP Logged
GroovySauce
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 04/10/22 at 16:50:13

Sai, I agree, the switch towards the back is more energy. I find I the bass more controlled with the switch towards the front.

Speaker choice is a consideration. I’m running 4x 15" drivers and a 8" full ranger per channel. If I was running a single full range driver, the control might still be there with the switch toward the back.

With the switch toward the front, I still get thunderous bass if it’s in the recording. It still doesn’t have the control that the Torii MKIV has.

I also find the music has a little more finesse with the switch towards the front.

I ordered the OD3 because the sound is still a little thick. I’m hoping adding in the OD3 will clear up the bass and mid bass and keep the beautiful richness.

Most of the time, I don’t use my ZROCK2 for the EQ, I use it because it adds a dimensionality and harmonics that I find pleasing. I run the ZROCK at 1-2 o’clock most of the time.

IP Logged
GroovySauce
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 04/10/22 at 16:57:42

Another observation. My ear tells the same story as your measurements. My findings are I listen at lower averages and peaks when the MKIV is in use. It seems louder though.

Comfortable, exciting listening levels.

MKIV peaks 72-76dB

UFO25TH peak 78-82dB

Seems there is more space between the notes on the MKIV.

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #8 - 04/11/22 at 18:18:57

Quote:
ordered the OD3 because the sound is still a little thick. I’m hoping adding in the OD3 will clear up the bass and mid bass and keep the beautiful richness.

The front regulator tube which is labeled OD3 handles the voltage for the input tube.  Running an OA3 in this location gives the tightest bass and overall cleanest response.  The OD3 is lower voltage and gives a more euphoric presentation, less tight.

At least that is in my room, your mileage may very.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Sai

Reply #9 - 04/11/22 at 20:07:10

Great points:
- on the speaker differences. In stark contrast, the Zus are a full range 12” driver with a tweeter that only kicks in above 12 kHz.

- The wider range in dB levels on the MK V do have the effect of creating more space between notes. The SE84UFO25 does sound a lot more precise/concise.

Another note, I do feel like the SE84UFO25 in my setup has a soundstage that is smaller than the MKV but with considerably more depth. So more 3D than the MK V.

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #10 - 04/12/22 at 17:45:33

FWIW, prompted by this thread, I went back to an AO3 from the OD3 Lon turned me on to a few years ago.  While tighter, I found I preferred the fuller OD3 sound and switched back.  Both with the bias switch towards the back of the amp.

i7 Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana 3.5, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, DIY Big Betsy and Crystal 10 Open Baffle Speakers
  IP Logged
GroovySauce
Seasoned Member

Reply #11 - 04/16/22 at 17:51:21

Steve, I prefer a more euphoric sound. The ZROCK2 is at 12-2 o’clock for the euphoric and harmonic magic it brings. With the OA3 in the front and no ZROCK2, it seemed like the ZROCK2 was in and turned up a lot. Eight 15” drivers change the experience. With the OA3, it could be too much energy in the room. Over 78-80dB, things get out of control exponentially. Peaks of 75dB are exciting and immersive.

When I first had the UFO, I was using an OA3 in the front position. OC3 was better. This morning received a RCA OD3. This is significantly better than the OA3. The slow and syrupyness is gone. Which could be due to room overload even at lower volumes. With the bias switch towards the back, it is very similar to the Torii. Torii is still snappier. Torii has a bit more shimmering highs and the bass hits are tighter. The amount of control the UFO is now demonstrating is truly impressive! 

Torii MKIV tubes:

EML 5u4g
Westing House OA3
RCA 0c2
GL KT-77
EH Gold Pin 6922

UFO25TH tubes:
Sophia Electric 274b
Westinghouse OA3
RCA OD3 Bias switch towards back
6P15P-EV
EH Gold Pin 6922

I am curious to try an EML 5u4g in the UFO25TH. Not wanting to run one of the matched EML 5u4g I’m using in the Torii, Maybe I’m a touch neurotic with this stuff. I wonder if some of the density differences are because of the rectifier differences. The UFO25TH has Jupiter caps while the Torii MKIV has Miflex caps. This could account for some differences as well. 

First track: Michael E - Beauty & Seduction. 25 seconds in a bass hit comes in that continues throughout. The Torii feels like it’s trying to stop my heart! It’s so sudden and fast I’m concerned it’s hurting the speakers. UFO25TH does an excellent job keeping up. If I hadn’t experienced what it was like with the Torii MKIV, I wouldn’t question the tightness of the bass hit with the UFO25TH.

Second track: Martins Garden - Paladin’s coming. Both amps the room disappears, and it’s like floating in space surrounded by music. The UFO25TH doesn’t have the distinct texture on the bass like the Torii MKIV. The UFO25TH is smoother and creamy on the top. All the information is there. The Torii MKIV has a bit more separation between everything. 

Third Track: Slenderbodies - Anemone. Both amps are very close. The UFO25TH has a bit more density than the Torii MKIV. Changing a cable or two may get them extremely close. This also could be the difference between the Jupiter and Miflex caps. 

Fourth Track: Lhasa De Sela - My Name. The rumbling bass that rolls around the room is more defined with the Torii MKIV, more texture. 

Fifth Track: Michael Nesmith - Cruisin’. Both amps rock! I’m having fun. UFO25TH 90+dB everything is tight and clear.  The Torii will play louder…I have no desire to go any louder. (Sorry not available on Qobuz or Tidal I selected some songs from my library. I then created a streaming playlist.)

https://open.qobuz.com/playlist/9122596

https://tidal.com/browse/playlist/f2112e8f-b0ee-44e2-9be4-a9024464b6ef

Both amps sound very similar now. Steve say’s he voices all his amps to sound like the UFO and he has succeeded. Speaker choice and tube selection can radically change how the amps sound. Learning how the amps respond to tubes and the way you want to change the sound, you can take the amps from fast and clean to molasses syrup.

On another forum, I saw that someone had a Torii Jr. for less than a month before selling it off. He didn’t like the sound. This seems like a huge misstep, as he didn’t even give himself the chance to explore the possibilities.

I have much more experience with the Torii MKIV. Over the past year, I’ve tuned it to my system and the sound I enjoy. Having the UFO25TH for 2 weeks and getting them to sound almost the same is really rewarding and an excellent learning experience. I still find that I listen at a slightly lower volume (3-5dB) with the Torii MKIV.

I still prefer the Push-Pull sound over SET. The differences are so much closer than my last experience. The Torii has more options to fine tune the sound to exactly what one wants.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print