Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/27/24 at 02:21:27 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Any use for old carpet pad? (Read 1024 times)
Mannytheseacow
Ex Member

Any use for old carpet pad?
04/02/22 at 16:01:08

I’m in the process of restoring a historic home and recently tore out about 1500 sq.ft. of carpet to reveal the original oak floors.
I’m used to seeing the carpet padding that is colored little balls of foam but the padding in the carpet I took up is some kind of woven gray synthetic, 1/4” thick, 6’ rolls, and feels to be fairly low density. I’m wondering if it would have any value to save to use in absorbing panels, or corner treatments?
I’m working my way through “The Master Handbook of Acoustics” and trying to learn how to make the right treatments before spending too much money. For now I am playing placing bundles of this material in different places and listening to the effects. I don’t have a studio microphone or software to analyze (anyone know where I could rent one? Doesn’t seem like it is something I need to own vs. barrow.)
Anyway, the jist of my question is do any of the masters here know what this padding material is and does it have any reuse potential from an acoustical standpoint?

IP Logged
DirtDawg
Ex Member

Re: Any use for old carpet pad?
Reply #1 - 04/02/22 at 21:23:22

I don't recognize that product, but if it does't smell like feet, I might hang on to it until I know more about it.

How about thalvaging the oakth? Smiley

IP Logged
DirtDawg
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 04/02/22 at 21:30:30

An aside, I have several calibrated microphones and not really trusting any of them in this modern day, I took multiple measurements using all of them and even my cheapy "came with my Denon" home theater receiver Audessey microphone measured the same as my old "almost" trusted Crown, UREI (yep, I actually own a vintage UREI studio audio analyzer, still) and Alembic efforts.
You can pick up a calibrated mic for not very much coin.

IP Logged
Mannytheseacow
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 04/05/22 at 18:36:12

For sure, DirtDawg, the reason for scrapping the carpet is to restore those oak floors.
I agree, a calibrated mic isn't a huge investment but I'm trying to minimize my one-time use purchases.  It would be great while getting the room set up but I don't see a use for it once I get things dialed in.
For a short-term trial and error I picked up some old burlap coffee sacks from my local hardware store and stuffed a batt of R29 mineral insulation into each, and set them in my two front corners.  I have no measurements to confirm but the bass significantly tightened up and the imaging is much more focused.  They don't look like a star trek listening room but not bad for $3 for bags and some extra insulation, and kind of match our bohemian construction zone theme currently going on.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print