Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/19/24 at 08:47:14 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Premium power cable priority? (Read 6854 times)
Bluemage
Seasoned Member

Premium power cable priority?
03/29/22 at 19:47:41

I'm mulling the idea of Decware's premium power cables, but want to approach the idea with practicality in mind. When my system arrives, it'll consist of Decware, MKV, CP3, ZP3, zrock2, and a ZLC.

Is the philosophy of superior cables an all or nothing kind of thing? Would a premium cable running from the ZLC fill the bill, or are the benefits only realized when everything in the chain has an equal link? Looks like this could get expensive...well, even more expensive, I should say.

Thanks.

IP Logged
lazb
Seasoned Member

Re: Premium power cable priority?
Reply #1 - 03/29/22 at 19:51:41

well known fact: you hear the weakest link! One of the latest comments Steve has made on the forum.

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 03/29/22 at 20:16:48

Bluemage,

The following thread  has been pretty active lately and is looking at the costs, qualities, relevance, and makeup of cables... There have been quite few cables conversations on the forum, but I can't recall where. So this one might be worth checking out.

https://www.decware.com/cgi-bin/yabb22/YaBB.pl?num=1648311213/24#1

That said, to me Steve's new DHC3 looks like it will likely sound quite good!

All Modified: PSA-P5>DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender>RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro/ZBIT/CSP3>OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV>Omega S-A-H-O monitors/SVS Micro3000>Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
Bluemage
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 03/29/22 at 20:19:39

Thanks guys,

I'm already believer in higher end cables, I'm simply wondering if it's necessary for every item in the chain, or prioritized more for some items over others. IE, perhaps it's beneficial for the preamp, but not so much for something like a zrock.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4 - 03/29/22 at 20:26:45

It gets better incrementally as you improve cabling. Start at the ZLC, then the Source, ZROCK2, down to the amps as you can--that's my advice.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Bluemage
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 03/29/22 at 20:38:58

Right on. Thanks, so the ultimate endgame is primo interconnects everywhere, correct?

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 03/29/22 at 20:57:18

I think good resolving cables are important for every component, but I get the reticence about buying a lot at once, and pay a lot for each. And I like a variety of Power Cables and ICs myself, each good one having its own set of balance influences, so a variety can help with system fine tuning.

I guess starting with the ZLC makes sense to me also, being the beginning of it all.

Then, if all components are equal, I probably agree with Lon, but if not, I can't say for sure which component I would try first. I guess it depends on the components and the complex... Like if the front end is really good, the second beginning, you may want a slightly lower gauge and easy to manage cable for it compared to the ZLC or MKV, but prioritizing the beginning makes sense. Whereas, if the front end is a weak link, you won't get as much benefit from a better cable, and even if a cable improves the front end, if it still is not giving all it can to the pre and amp, etc, then there is less benefit to the whole of the sound by improving cables beyond a weak front end.... each supporting or damaging all the others.

The MKV might be another strong second choice for me I suppose, since it is doing a lot electronically, so may benefit the whole more from giving it better power.

And with some of the low cost but pretty good quality materials and designs in many Chinese made cables around these days, I might consider a few of those to help you get more from your system, and in turn, helping you to get used to your system potential as you figure out how far you can take it.

All Modified: PSA-P5>DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender>RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro/ZBIT/CSP3>OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV>Omega S-A-H-O monitors/SVS Micro3000>Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
Bluemage
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 03/29/22 at 21:31:24

Thank you so much for the reply!

IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #8 - 03/29/22 at 21:33:06

The only Decware power cable i have purchased so far, I used from the ZLC to the wall - this without replacing any others in the chain. This made a very significant difference in SQ.

My next cable purchases will be power cords from my two amps to the ZLC.

Best,

Geno

(2)SE84UFO(Balanced Monoblocs) OR Sansui AU-222
Crown sub amp
Cambridge Audio CXN(ModWright) • ZBIT
SL-1210MK5(KAB Mods) Soundsmith Aida MKll cart • Darlington Labs MP-7
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
Lii Audio PT-10/W-15 in open baffles
  IP Logged
Bluemage
Seasoned Member

Reply #9 - 03/29/22 at 22:12:21

Glad to hear it made a sonic improvement! This will probably be the step that I take!

IP Logged
Burgermeester
Seasoned Member

Reply #10 - 05/01/22 at 08:37:25

As a newbie trying to understand this issue -- the price of cables/interconnects can be discouraging, since it's hard to justify cutting your amp or source budget to get better cables -- I found the advice one (admittedly, salesman) gave me, to wit:
Buy the best components you can afford (preferably that you can't afford, to make it more likely you won't need/want to upgrade later, which means spending even more $$).
Connect those components with power cords and interconnects that your wallet doesn't really notice. Get used to your system. Then start replacing those "wires" one at a time, over time, with something much more expensive.
He did say that unless the room was at least somewhat treated, I might not be able to hear the difference between a $200 and a $1000 interconnect. In a very well-treated listening space, I would probably hear some difference between almost any two different interconnects or even power cables, broken in.
Anyway at least this made logical sense.

IP Logged
Liquid Snake
Verified Member

Reply #11 - 05/01/22 at 13:12:26

Power cables and good interconnects are worth it even on lower-end systems. I am running a Decware UFO and a USB-powered $100 DAC and the difference was huge with a good power cable.

It just makes everything sound airier, less distorted, less grainy, and blacker background.

A friend of mine has several $2000 tube amps and a $7500 Bricasti DAC she bought some $25 hospital-grade cables from Amazon and that was a big improvement too.

IP Logged
BicycleJoe Lo-Fi
Seasoned Member

It's all in one
note, Just Listen

Reply #12 - 05/01/22 at 15:07:32

I was thinking the same thing but I do not think that the power cords supplied by Steve will be dog doo doo. Starting with 2 or 3 then moving one around the system is a good way to hear the differences. First I think I'm going to upgrade my AC cabling for my TT power supply and for the tone arm with better RCA male leads before I worry about the Rachel and the ZP3 phono pre- AC cords from Steve. My weakest link maybe my wall sockets and my apt buildings AC power lines. IDK but I am certainly going to use Steve's interconnects.

When I first started my journey in audio? It was when I upgraded from my Emenee Barbie and Ken Record Player to a Fisher Receiver with a Garard TT on top, an all in one combo stereo with 2 speakers! I used old red power cords from a broken Electrolux vacuum cleaner for speaker wire. It sounded fantastic in my book. It was my first stereo bought with my own money from shoveling snow.

"Once there was a note, pure and easy,playing so free like a breath rippling by,the note is eternal, I hear it, it sees me,forever we blend and forever we die".
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #13 - 05/01/22 at 18:19:25

It took me less than a week to order and receive one of the new DHC-3 power cords from Steve.

It is a fantastic cord for the money. I have it now powering my
CSP2+ with the Anniversary mods and the sound is great.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
DancingSea
Seasoned Member

Reply #14 - 05/06/22 at 03:29:57

My theory on cables is to discard the standard cables that come with gear and purchase cables in the Decware cable price range.  To not go nuts with megabuck cables, but not settle for the entry level stuff either.  A month before the release of the new Decware power cables I bought a pair of Audience cables on sale at Parts Connexion in Canada.  Otherwise I would've ordered Steve's for sure.

As for budget, I agree with the Hamburgler to not adjust your component budget to allow for pricier cables.  Get the best component you can afford now and gradually over time replace all your power cables with Steve's.....

IP Logged
BicycleJoe Lo-Fi
Seasoned Member

It's all in one
note, Just Listen

Reply #15 - 05/06/22 at 09:24:30

I went ahead and upgraded my vintage JVC QLY66F TT with new higher quality hardwired AC cord and RCA connects. Yesterday I ordered and got on the list for a SE34.6 I and the ZP3 Phono. Along with that I've ordered the high-end DECWARE -3 AC cables, interconnects and speaker wire. I will A B compare Steve's stock AC plugs with his top-of-the-line when I receive them in 14 months lol. Again as I said above I think my weakest link is going to be my apartment buildings power out of my apartment's wall outlet. I'm only going to use one breaker for the amps so on my to do list is to replace the Wall receptacles on that breaker with hospital grade Leveton T8300-IG outlets. I am seriously considering after I run my system for a while getting a Z Power system.

"Once there was a note, pure and easy,playing so free like a breath rippling by,the note is eternal, I hear it, it sees me,forever we blend and forever we die".
  IP Logged
Burgermeester
Seasoned Member

Reply #16 - 05/06/22 at 11:33:27

If I have 12- or 18-inch connection distances between my core components, because I made a point of setting them up that way, should I pay a lot to buy 1-meter interconnects?

If I have a ZLC a foot from my components, and all I can get is 1.5m power cables?

Since I try to minimize interconnects and power cable distances where I can, I don't get the whole "hey, this cable is great!" and "hey, one meter is the shortest length available!" No way am I going to connect components sitting next to each other with an 18-inch interconnect.

I realize it may not be commercially viable to offer, say, 12-inch power cords, but I rely on Nelson Pass's dictum, which after all these years I probably remember wrong, but which is, less than a foot of interconnect/cables and it doesn't matter what you're using.

This isn't an argument not to spend decent $$ on interconnects, but I really want to minimize cabling distances. I look at Decware power cables and think, yeah, and what I need to do is take one to an electrician and have him chop it in half for re-equipping with plugs...now I have two cables! But I don't want to do that.

IP Logged
BicycleJoe Lo-Fi
Seasoned Member

It's all in one
note, Just Listen

Reply #17 - 05/06/22 at 12:06:59

I thought the same thing but after serious consideration since I do not put my components on the floor but on my racks shelves 1.5 meter AC cables Male end to EIC might not be long enough. My top shelf is 36" high

The interconnects between components come in 1m length tip to tip, If you are laying your components 12" inches apart that won't leave much slack to lay the cable correctly with out crimping and stressing, I may not even keep my components next to each other but on separate shelves. I believe Steve has taken all of this into account. He also mentioned that there will other sizes as they become available. Make an inquiry as to when this might happen and what you need.

IP Logged
Burgermeester
Seasoned Member

Reply #18 - 05/06/22 at 13:07:06

Well, simply put I'd be happy having interconnects/power cables in 50cm increments up to 2.5m. There's scope for shorter interconnects but at short lengths (e.g. 15 or 30cm) the quality of the interconnect becomes less critical. If the DHC2 50cm and 150cm were the same price I would not complain.

IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #19 - 05/06/22 at 14:59:07

I've cut just about every power cord to fit my layout. Also, constructed interconnects to fit. Now going inside the conponets to replace the output/input leads. Seems this is about the easiest and most profound upgrade one can make to the audio system string.

John

AMC CD8b>XO3>Cambridge CXN2>ZDAC>ZBOX>braided silver/occ> Zrock2>CSP2+>SE84 milflex copper 25th>9AWG silver/copper braid>lii Crystal 10 in Huijgen cabinets. Ortofon 2M Black>JVC QL-F4/Otari MX5050B2>ZP3. Isolation. AC filtering. Room treatment.
  IP Logged
Dr3wman
Seasoned Member

Reply #20 - 05/06/22 at 16:53:23

I am very drawn to the new cables, and strongly considering add them as my budget allows.

When it comes to cables (and many other things) , I think I am my own worst enemy sometimes.  It is possible I do too much research, and I find myself in the kettle of fish that is the "how do they measure" issue.

I feel like there has to be a middle ground.  Is it actually possible measure everything we hear is something I find myself wondering. It seems like there has to be more than what pure numbers can tell us. But at the end of the day, I  have no clue.  

Torii MKV/25 mods
PS Audio Stellar Phono Preamplifier
Technics SL-1200GR w/ Nagaoka MP-200.
KLH Model 3 speakers..
Sonos connect.
  IP Logged
DancingSea
Seasoned Member

Reply #21 - 05/06/22 at 17:06:31

While I personally believe in quality cables to a degree, I also freely admit that it is only a belief which is largely not backed by empirical scientific data on either the objective or subjective effects.

For literally millions of years the human mind has convinced us, on a myriad of fronts, to believe all sorts of things with great conviction that are ultimately completely untrue.  And even science is limited by that same unreliable mind from a primitive primate species called humanity.  Our DNA is only 1% different than a chimpanzee and our capacity to genuinely understand reality is very limited.  Science is limited in its ability to perceive facts, the issues, how to conceive tests and interpret results.  Limited by that same primitive brain that seemingly will believe just about anything.  Science can only be as deep as the capacity of the one who perceives it.  All that glitters is not gold.  

Belief and science, seemingly opposites, are both products of the same unreliable human brain, as evidenced by our remarkably poor track record as residents of earth.  No known species in millions of years of history has been a worse neighbor than humanity.  There is no close second.  And yet we still have that persistent arrogance of our superiority and misunderstanding of our tiny place in existence.

It’s an easy out to declare the opinion of an expert as gospel, and then follow it. But even someone as venerable as Nelson Pass is using his notoriously unreliable monkey brain as a guide.

Therefore I purchase quality cables knowing that their effects may or may not be a monkey god of my own creation.  But in case the rapture does actually come, at least I’ll have the right cables!

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #22 - 05/06/22 at 17:10:27

Hey Dr3wman,

You might find this thread useful for looking at some different angles on these things you are wondering about.

https://www.decware.com/cgi-bin/yabb22/YaBB.pl?num=1648311213/24#1

IP Logged
DancingSea
Seasoned Member

Reply #23 - 05/06/22 at 18:24:36

Thanks Will. The main thing I wonder about is why my particular brain requires a $15k stereo to enjoy music?  My Hawaiian neighbor has a $200 boom box which he enjoys easily as much as I enjoy my elaborate system.

We are both human.  The music is still music.  Who is the one that enjoys and how does that part of our minds release the various chemicals that let us know that we’re experiencing enjoyment?  And why does that whole process have such a wide variety of triggers across the species?

I’ve had guests who look with stunned amazement at what they hear from my system. And others who don’t get it in the least, for whom a $200 boom box and $15K rig have the same enjoyment producing capacity.

It seems at that point what is “best” has no empirical meaning. All that matters is that a given external stimulus triggers our particular pleasure receptors.  What that stimulus is seems not really matter in the big picture.

This leads one to wonder who is that perceives that pleasure?  That dynamic seems to have an astonishing influence on our perception of what is meaningful.  Yet the very nature of that dynamic is specific and fickle.  It’s scope of what triggers the satisfaction response is very limited. And the shadow of dissatisfaction is always close at hand.  Step off the tracks and we get zapped by displeasure which then leads us to seek the pleasure tracks again.  We fight wars over such things.

Is it possible to be free of all that?  To not be slave to this fickle master of satisfaction and dissatisfaction?

If I could figure that out I’d save a lot of money on cables!

IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #24 - 05/06/22 at 19:03:43

Quote:
Is it possible to be free of all that?  To not be slave to this fickle master of satisfaction and dissatisfaction?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pet_Rock

AMC CD8b>XO3>Cambridge CXN2>ZDAC>ZBOX>braided silver/occ> Zrock2>CSP2+>SE84 milflex copper 25th>9AWG silver/copper braid>lii Crystal 10 in Huijgen cabinets. Ortofon 2M Black>JVC QL-F4/Otari MX5050B2>ZP3. Isolation. AC filtering. Room treatment.
  IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #25 - 05/06/22 at 21:31:58

Quote:
The main thing I wonder about is why my particular brain requires a $15k stereo to enjoy music?

Sorry, but it is inborn - we forum members have all been cursed with the 'Audiophile Gene'. You cannot fight it. There is no cure for it.

You just have to struggle along, and do the best you can to survive.

Best, and good luck. Smiley

(2)SE84UFO(Balanced Monoblocs) OR Sansui AU-222
Crown sub amp
Cambridge Audio CXN(ModWright) • ZBIT
SL-1210MK5(KAB Mods) Soundsmith Aida MKll cart • Darlington Labs MP-7
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
Lii Audio PT-10/W-15 in open baffles
  IP Logged
DancingSea
Seasoned Member

Reply #26 - 05/07/22 at 17:59:59

I have a very good pet rock. Can’t help but wonder if a higher end, European pet rock might work better…
Roll Eyes

IP Logged
Carlsbad
Seasoned Member

Reply #27 - 05/21/22 at 05:53:22

This thread has wandered all around but I'll answer the original question:  Power cable for the amp.  

While many like to upgrade all their power cables and this is where the debate starts to happen, and then there is the debate between "premium" power cables and just heavy generic power cables.

The AMP is the only piece of equipment that needs enough power in a manner to require a huge power cable.  The mistake people make is sizing a power cable for the average load of their amp.  An amp needs ready power available for transients, not steady state.  I've had a 10 wpc sophia baby amp performing poorly with a 14 awg and straightened right out with a 10awg cable.  

So my advice is for the amp and the amp only, at a minimum go with a generic 10 awg power cable.  Many an amp goes up for sale because someone bought a "premium" cable that was 14 awg because "hey, it's only a 200 watt load".  

Other components do not have significant dynamic loading and upgrading the power cables will be more peace of mind than anything else.

Jerry

Decware SE84UFO w/20th mods
Grimm MU1 Streamer
Lampizator Golden Gate 3 DAC
Tekton Encore Speakers
  IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #28 - 05/21/22 at 06:41:10

To be fair, most outlets are 15A and 14 gage wire.  You can't run a garden hose to a 2 inch hose and expect more flow.  But I'm not an electronics expert.

ZLC
Technics 1200G TT w/ Ortofon Jubilee MC cart
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Homemade Big Betsy Speakers (F15s)
Silver Cabling
DIY Isolation platforms under amps & TT.
  IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #29 - 05/21/22 at 10:34:16

Archie it is true that most home outlets in the USA are 15amp. The wire is 12 gauge though and protected with a 20 amp breaker. This is common practice here at the good old mainland.

Hindsight brings to mind that a home run 10 gauge wire should have been run instead of 12 gauge to my system. Oh well!

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #30 - 05/21/22 at 18:06:54

I'm not sure where the "mainland" is but in the US, typical outlets are wired with 14ga into a 15A circuit.  Kitchen and bathrooms are 12ga and 20A by Code.  Certainly running a heavier wire for a dedicated circuit is a good idea.  Mine is a short 12ga and 20A.  Mainly I was pointing out that the power cord comes late in the chain to be over worried about being super heavy gage.  I guess it's an old debate of how much a power cord can influence sound other than possibly hampering it?

ZLC
Technics 1200G TT w/ Ortofon Jubilee MC cart
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Homemade Big Betsy Speakers (F15s)
Silver Cabling
DIY Isolation platforms under amps & TT.
  IP Logged
DancingSea
Seasoned Member

Reply #31 - 05/21/22 at 18:27:51

Archie, allow me to help. As a Hawaiian, the mainland is most of the USA.  When used in a sentence, “Slowdown, this ain’t the mainland!”

IP Logged
Carlsbad
Seasoned Member

Reply #32 - 05/21/22 at 23:18:36

Codes vary from state to state as do building practices.  I've heard that in some areas 15 amp circuits are often wired with 12 awg wire.  Not here in CA in my house.  

That said, losses in wire are additive.  It is not like water.  If you have 20 ft of 14 awg wire and 3 ft of 10 awg wire, it doesn't matter what order they are in, the losses are the same.

I did run 240V 10 awg circuit to my stereo system.

Jerry

Decware SE84UFO w/20th mods
Grimm MU1 Streamer
Lampizator Golden Gate 3 DAC
Tekton Encore Speakers
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print