Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
WTB, cables (Read 3361 times)
Coyote
Seasoned Member

WTB, cables
03/26/22 at 17:13:33

Hi everyone,

I will be needing some cables in the near future.
I am just not to sure what I will need and since this is the beginning of a HiFi tube system journey for me, I am "shamelessly" trying to save a few bucks here and there by getting used cables so I can "experiment".

If you have or are planning to upgrade your cables in the near future, keep me in mind.
I currently have no  cables at all, so everything is idling.

If you have an idea of what would be best for my 'situation' with the components I have, do let me know!

Speaker cables: These will need to be about 10ft each.
Going from a Se84UFO2 to a pair of open baffle Lii15F, custom "Betsy's" that I am currently building.
Also a pair of speaker cables for Celestion Ditton 66.
Switching between the OB and the 66s to experiment. These might be bare wires on the UFO2 end and banana plugs on the 66 ends?

Interconnects: DAC Oppo 970HD to same UFO2.
(here are the available connections on p.6: https://www.oppodigital.com/support/dv970hd/download/dv970hd-adv-setup-guide.pdf...)

Power cable(s): I would be interested in upgrading the Pcables for both the UFO2 and especially the Oppo.

Last is my vintage turntable,  it has hard-wired RCA and Pcable, I know that both wires are in poor condition. Should I go having new cables hard-wired or better to have someone install connectors and use inter-connect cables?

The build is largely driven by my desire to use my LP collection again, in a decent system (the original system is 2x Quad 303 mono blocs, 1x Quad 33 pre-amp, 1x Quad FM, none of these have cables either!).

Perhaps upgrading the TT instead of doing these upgrades to the old one? If so I am leaning toward a Rega Planar P2, thoughts?

Newbie questions sorry...

Kind regards,

a.

My modest system:
SE84UFO2.(2).
Quad mono 303 (x2) + 33 + FM3.
Marantz 2235.
Schiit Mani.
Technic SL23.
Thorens TD160 MKII + SME III tonearm. Ortophon OM10.
Oppo CD/DVD.
Celestion Ditton 66 studio.
Lii F15 in Betsy type OB.
ATAUDIO 12TC Pure OCC.
  IP Logged
michaelG

Re: WTB, cables
Reply #1 - 03/26/22 at 19:12:29

Hello,
My advice would be pro cables. they are not cheap but not expensive. it’s a good basis. the other thing, be careful of the connectors used. in an interconnect there can be more metal in the connectors than the cables themselves so don’t ruin good cables with bad connectors. once you have that you ll be ready to experiment with other things but at least you have a great base to compare to.
I use canare because I love their rca connectors but there s many brands making the cables that are used in the studio where the music we listen to is recorded and mastered (mogami, belden)

IP Logged
lazb
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 03/26/22 at 19:28:52

My opinion, there may be better, and there certainly are more expensive, cables than Steve's but his are very reasonably priced relatively and, since he uses them to voice all his products, I see no reason to look at any other cables.

IP Logged
Coyote
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 03/26/22 at 20:53:23

Hi Michael,

Thx for the post.

This is part why I am hoping to find someone on this forum that would be parting with their "old" cable. I think everyone here are pretty honest and in search "the sound" that pleases them so they likely did not get some junk before and are now just ready to upgrade.
I myself am at the beginning of this journey and literally "anything"
would be better then nothing. !

:-)

a.

My modest system:
SE84UFO2.(2).
Marantz 2235.
Schiit Mani.
Technic SL23.
Oppo CD/DVD.
ATAUDIO 12TC Pure OCC.
  IP Logged
Coyote
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 03/26/22 at 21:14:01

Hi LazB,

Thx for the reply.

I agree Steves cable are very nice quality and reasonably priced for what they are.
I just wish there was another Decware option with more "affordable" cables. I am definitely not at the point of needing to tweak my cables. I am at the point of after getting the UFO2 likely getting a CSP3 or ZP3, after that maybe a better DAC, etc. so here for me at the beginning of this journey I am just looking for a decent set of cables to "tie" these components together.

A pair of 12ft ZSTYX with banana plugs plus a pair of 3ft DAG cables and I am at $+1,000.00 USD (that is like $2,999,997.88 in Canadian dolerettes).

Or like 2/3 the price of the UFO2 I just bought! In cables!  [smiley=tunes26.gif]

Now, there might be nice gentleman around owning something less than DAG and ZSTYX ready to upgrade to DAG and ZSTYX, and I could purchase their old cables.

Cheers,

a.

My modest system:
SE84UFO2.(2).
Marantz 2235.
Schiit Mani.
Technic SL23.
Oppo CD/DVD.
ATAUDIO 12TC Pure OCC.
  IP Logged
michaelG

Reply #5 - 03/26/22 at 21:27:31

Decware DAG are made with canare quad core (probably l4e6) but with a nice finish and great connectors. you can find those cables with good connectors for less bit they won’t look as good. For speaker cables I read another post saying Steve recommended some ebay cables:
8ag Pure Silver plated OCC Hifi Speaker Cable Hi-end Speaker Wire

IP Logged
Coyote
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 03/26/22 at 22:38:49

Michael:

There is so much information on this Forum, it is hard to keep up!

thx

My modest system:
SE84UFO2.(2).
Marantz 2235.
Schiit Mani.
Technic SL23.
Oppo CD/DVD.
ATAUDIO 12TC Pure OCC.
  IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 03/27/22 at 00:38:00

Yes Taiwanese or Chinese sellers on Ebay, or AliExpress can be a good path for nice but low cost cables. UPOCC (Ultra Pure Ohno Continuous Cast) wire with teflon insulation is pretty much the best ready-made, semi-affordable wire out there.... especially affordable when made and sold in Taiwan or China.

There are some nice cables made with these wires for all uses, and especially from AliExpress, they are pretty low cost if you look around. Can take a while to get them if bought overseas and not using some express delivery, but the prices are really low for what I have gotten anyway.

I have been making cables for quite a while and mine are really good, better than any I tried with Decware and My Audio Cables a first step up, then some more "toney" US companies when I found good used prices. This search led me to making them, having paid a lot over time hoping I might get one I loved. Where making them, I could tune them myself. And I am using special mixes of wires and gauges carefully put together with geometry/damping that took many years to sort out to suit me best, and using great ends/connectors.

Though I was hoping to find some using really good materials and design from Taiwan or China as good, I found a few nice ones, but not better. But, according to a friend who knows lots of cables from decades in high end audio, part of a small group of serious reference grade audio evaluators, and having done many Audio Shows and visited many systems....he has heard a lot, and probably has the most advanced critical listening skills of anyone I know... So I was excited when he said the ICs I sent him to audition were among the best he had heard, as good or better than cables costing into the 6K+ range.

That said, the ICs I tried from China, and a few of the power cords, seeming like Nordost Odams, using UPOCC copper plated with 6 or 7N silver, fancy shielding and geometry, and nice ends, they sound quite good to me. And the speaker cables I got, a hollow weave similar to Kimber used by a lot in Taiwan and China these days; teflon coated UPOCC with multi-sized copper wires per strand; the ends, pure copper plated with pure gold...these were quite nice also, and not being shielded or plated, to me, more natural and "alive." I was hoping these might compare to my speaker cables that are made with oversized teflon with pure silver, pure copper, and a strand of NOS WE tinned copper, with fine tuned geometry, and nice silver plated copper ends, but not yet. They could be one of the best I have tried though other than mine and a pair of Synergistic Research Copper Elements I set out to beat with mine, the SRs having amazing revelation, space, speed and sound overall, but the bass was a little too soft for me, which I luckily solved with mine.

Yet in some ways the (I think) Taiwan made speaker cables compare pretty favorably. And for me, gauge really matters, and not just gauge, but also a complex of wires to create a conglomerate gauge, and careful geometry with more wires...Variations of this setup are most times better for my tastes than using a single big wire per - and +.

If done well, including compensating for close/heavy wire crossing geometry (potentially too tight/clear sounding) with more gauge if needed, they can be still musical, but more precise, faster, less thick/smeared sounding than one big strand. So exact gauge is not always determinant for me, but a good pointer.

And even so, then the component matters. I have never loved speaker cables much bigger than 11 gauge with my full bodied Torii III or IV, and ZYGIs bass full speakers.... but I liked 8 gauge, single strand Styx with my milder/leaner pre Rachel SE34 pretty well. So it depends on the amp and speakers to me, as well as on how the cables are made... But with the Toriis and my speakers, for my tastes, I prefer blends of multi gauge wires, and with a total gauge around 10 max or close. Just a cable gauge being a little off can make this full sounding setup thick and tending to muddled bass and forceful mids with speaker cables that are too big. Then it can be just right, with tight but big bass with a little smaller gauge, all else the same. Or too lean with a cable that is too low gauge.

For me, this is the same for power cables, and my overall fav is one I made that is 11 gauge with multi strands and careful geometry tested by sound. Same with ICs, the total gauges of signal and return really important to and ultimate set of balances.

But back to the UPOCC speaker cables... Seems some of the Chinese speaker cables that have plus and minus in one cable are not described accurately relative to gauge, and some are. As I recall, some seemed to say whatever gauge, and they were talking about the conglomerate gauge of the - and + together, making the functional speaker cable gauge half of that. So doing the math converting mm2 of the actual wires to gauge can be important.  

But when I bought these: EDIT: sorry, here is the right link: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002894838888.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.0.0.... I found the conglomerate gauge per - and + was accurate, 9 gauge. I knew this was higher gauge than I usually like, but figured It might be good since the geometry is so tight with so many wire crosses so close together. And it was pretty good, but I ended up still finding them a little too full/thick for my tastes in my system. So I plan on lifting a few of the strands on the positive sides and if that does not do it, keep going one by one until I find the beauty for my system and tastes. Not been a priority though as I have other things happening and my cables are good, but these UPOCC copper cables seemed promising from initial listening after burnin. So I can't say just how good they will be once tuned to tastes, but I suspect quite good considering the fine detail and space/textures and decays, as-is, are good with them. And in my experience, showing this fragile information well is a good indicator of excellent cable revelation, and so far these seem to do it with a nice warmth and articulation in their too full state (for me). So I am guessing I can get them good for my system/rooms.

But with a UFO SE84 and Lii F15s... I imagine these could be possibly (?) be nice as-is....

All Modified: Balanced Transformer-DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender-RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro-ZBIT-CSP3-OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV, Simple Wave 300B-HR1/SVS Micro3000sub-Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #8 - 03/27/22 at 00:45:33

Coyote I have a box of interconnects sitting in a closet, single-ended and balanced; if you want to PM me or email me at lonjazz@yahoo.com we can see if any of them interest you and if we can work out some pricing.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #9 - 03/27/22 at 10:23:01

Will,

Your post above mirrors what I am finding out on my journey of cabling.

Thanks for your detailed post and reinforcement.

John

AMC CD8b>XO3>Cambridge CXN2>ZDAC>ZBOX>braided silver/occ> Zrock2>CSP2+>SE84 milflex copper 25th>9AWG silver/copper braid>lii Crystal 10 in Huijgen cabinets. Ortofon 2M Black>JVC QL-F4/Otari MX5050B2>ZP3. Isolation. AC filtering. Room treatment.
  IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #10 - 03/27/22 at 14:32:52

Likewise John. Thanks to you.

All Modified: Balanced Transformer-DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender-RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro-ZBIT-CSP3-OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV, Simple Wave 300B-HR1/SVS Micro3000sub-Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
Coyote
Seasoned Member

Reply #11 - 03/27/22 at 15:52:42

Will,

Excellent post, so much information! I would say these are the reasons why I am hoping to get some used cables that someone would have loved at some point but now looking for something better.

As mentioned above I am at the beginning of this journey and there are a million variables at this point so the cables are something I am not ready to "explore" at the moment.

If you find a pair of used speaker cables you want to part with email me!

a.

My modest system:
SE84UFO2.(2).
Marantz 2235.
Schiit Mani.
Technic SL23.
Oppo CD/DVD.
ATAUDIO 12TC Pure OCC.
  IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #12 - 03/27/22 at 17:07:55

a.

Sorry, I am busy preparing for a trip, but I am sure I don't have anything this cheap, and only a few that might compare in sound quality, and those would be much more costly even used. Also I would think that just because one once loved a cable, does not mean another necessarily will. Seems to me our likes and dislikes are based a whole lot on our specific system balances and room, and one system might make a given cable nice, and another not so. So I guess it is all an experiment, especially before you have your baseline sound in mind and know where you want it to go....and discover how to get there...

These cables I linked above, the current price of 170 delivered for a 3.5 meter pair, with top notch wires and pretty nice end treatment, is to me pretty unreal for what you get. And finding some others worth listening to with your revealing new system for very much less may be difficult... but maybe. Particularly with some research into Chinese seller's cables.... like maybe these or similar, these being from the same company: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32828439095.html?spm=a2g0o.store_pc_groupList.81.... Looking at the pics they look like they just may be the same wire groups/gauge of UPOCC copper. But this is one of those descriptions that I was talking about earlier, hard to say exactly what you get without asking the seller what the measurements are on the actual wire groups (not the outside diameter)... But it looks like it could be a similar gauge of the same very high quality copper, perhaps with some less costly dielectric, no choices on ends (but probably pretty nice bananas being red copper) and no added damping/noise mitigating parts. With a little luck they might be nice cables especially for less than 100 for a 3.5 meter pair... Crazy!

Finally, with all cables in resolving systems like you are creating, metal, dielectric, ends, geometry, and all really do matter no matter what some of the engineer type cable sellers who think sound equals specs like to say.

Good luck!

Will

IP Logged
DirtDawg
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 03/27/22 at 18:49:25

Hey, Coyote, I think I am approaching a similar crossroad with my own journey.

I lived for years with having to pull everything out and set things up every time when I had time to listen to my best gear. Then unplug and bundle things and put everything out of the way when I was "done."  As if we ever get done, right?
How can anything burn in properly by treating it this way? It can't.

Now, having my own small space and not having to touch anything from one listening session to the next, I am growing ever more aware of the need to perfect the system and get the most out of it.

Cabling to me comes right after isolation and placement of the gear is sorted. I have used mostly pro audio cabling or the highest grade that Best Buy (I managed the warehouse at one for 8 years before I retired) had to offer at the time, but often the terminations are not the same quality as the terminals on the gear I plug into, so new cables for me, too.

Planning to start with power cables. I only have one half decent PC I found on ebay, but even I can hear a difference when I take it out of my beginner's rig to test. I have it going to my pre for now.

Still learning ...
Smiley

IP Logged
Coyote
Seasoned Member

Reply #14 - 03/27/22 at 19:53:27

Att Will,

"I am busy preparing for a trip"
Good on you! Have a great time.

"Seems to me our likes and dislikes are based a whole lot on our specific system balances and room,"
Exactly and so I just have to start "somewhere" the link you provided look promising for the speaker cables I have to admit. $120CAD is really affordable...
Yes they are tempting... it only says
Overall Outside Diameter: 12.90mm
and
Diameter of each strand: 1.5mm (AWG 15)
3.5M I will have to measure the room again.

Thank you for all that information Will, have a nice trip!

Alain

My modest system:
SE84UFO2.(2).
Marantz 2235.
Schiit Mani.
Technic SL23.
Oppo CD/DVD.
ATAUDIO 12TC Pure OCC.
  IP Logged
Coyote
Seasoned Member

Reply #15 - 03/27/22 at 20:27:18

Hey Dawg,

Yes a good part of the pleasure is in the journey and experimentation!

I will have to take a picture of the room I will use to listen with this system and post it. It is less than perfect to say the least.

I had some speaker cables but got rid of them they were from all the way back when I packed my Quad system and put that in storage in the 1990s and they were ancient even then!

I had a cheap radio-shack cable for the Oppo.

Someone on this tread earlier offered inter-connects and so I PMed him. I am quite interested by these:(https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32828439095.html?spm=a2g0o.store_pc_groupList.81....)
that Will just posted above and I might just pull the trigger on them.

How big is your room?
I just measured mine.
12x14 entrance is 8' wide
The listening 'couch' is on center at one end of the 14' length just in front of a large bookcase and the entrance is at the same end to the right of the couch.
Facing the couch just behind the 6' credenza is a panoramic window that spans the width of the room and 3' above the floor with full height heavy curtains.
Above the credenza is an electric 10' home theater screen.
The listening position is about 11' from the OB  speakers or 13' from the window.

As you see it is pretty... Compact!

Cheers,

a.

My modest system:
SE84UFO2.(2).
Marantz 2235.
Schiit Mani.
Technic SL23.
Oppo CD/DVD.
ATAUDIO 12TC Pure OCC.
  IP Logged
Coyote
Seasoned Member

Reply #16 - 03/27/22 at 20:36:09

Dawg,

You mentioned power cables. Personally I will hold on that until I get a "line conditioner" or UPS, I have to research the difference, if any.

I suspect the power coming for the wall is not that clean. I suspect our unit shares the power with the rest of the units on our floor or few floors.

UPS are used  for PC and are way cheaper than "line conditioner" I cannot figure out why??? Or what the difference is...

a.

My modest system:
SE84UFO2.(2).
Marantz 2235.
Schiit Mani.
Technic SL23.
Oppo CD/DVD.
ATAUDIO 12TC Pure OCC.
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #17 - 03/27/22 at 21:32:13

The difference is that one is designed for computer and one for audio. Every report from those whose ears I trust that have used UPS say that they have high impedance output which will stifle dynamics and impair proper tonal balance when used with stereo components. Most are also reported to have insufficient power output for a stereo system. I've always steered clear of them for that reason.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Puggy
Verified Member

Reply #18 - 03/28/22 at 17:42:04

My go-to IC has always been the Belden 8402 with switchcraft RCAs. There are plenty of sellers on eBay and a nicely made pair will cost around $70. Tuneful Cables’ version uses Cardas silver to terminate the RCAs. This cable is known to be a good match for tube amps, and in my experience is very neutral and natural sounding. I’ve stopped thinking about cables since putting them into my system.

For speaker wire, I either use Belden 9497 (very standard tinned copper), or Supra Rondo 2.5. Both of these cables are extremely affordable and are a great match with tube amps and full range drivers. The 9497 is very popular with people who use tube amps and vintage gear (tannoy, Altec, JBL) and is about 70 cents/foot! (If you buy in a spool). There are certainly much better speaker cables, but the 9497 destroys the price to performance ratio. Duelund 16GA is next on my list to try.

I haven’t heard Decware ICs or speaker cables, but I’m sure these would be a great option and I trust Steve’s opinion on everything related to tube gear. These were a little too expensive for me at the time I was redoing my cables and I’ve been happy with the Belden 8402. However, I use the DHC-1 on my ZP3 and found a noticeable improvement, and plan to buy another for my amp soon.

Technics SP-10mkii | Hana ML | Cinemag SUT | ZP3 (25th mods) | Denafrips Ares II | CSP3 | First Watt F8 | Tannoy Monitor Gold 12 (LSU/HF/12/8rs) | ZLC | Silver+Cotton interconnects & speaker wire | Duelund power cables
  IP Logged
Coyote
Seasoned Member

Reply #19 - 03/28/22 at 21:17:20

Lon, that make sense. Thanks.

Alain

My modest system:
SE84UFO2.(2).
Marantz 2235.
Schiit Mani.
Technic SL23.
Oppo CD/DVD.
ATAUDIO 12TC Pure OCC.
  IP Logged
Coyote
Seasoned Member

Reply #20 - 03/28/22 at 21:18:36

Puggy,

Belden 8402 with switchcraft RCAs
I am going to have to look them up.

Thx,

a.

My modest system:
SE84UFO2.(2).
Marantz 2235.
Schiit Mani.
Technic SL23.
Oppo CD/DVD.
ATAUDIO 12TC Pure OCC.
  IP Logged
maddog07
Seasoned Member

seeker of truth

Reply #21 - 03/29/22 at 00:34:36

You can't go wrong with Decware's own house cables.

If you want to DIY without breaking the bank or spending hours and hours building cables..... buy some Mogami microphone cable - you will see this inside Decware amps - I have been to Decfest many times and observed Mogami microphone cable inside amps that were under construction.  

Then for a good RCA... Canare's may be the best reasonably priced RCA's for the DIY'er.  The F9 and F10 are what they sell for RCA analog connectors, and I have used both.  These are nothing special from a material perspective - gold plated brass, but extremely well made.
https://store.haveinc.com/c-790-rca-connectors.aspx
They make a really nice RCA that is made for coaxial type wire, they are "wire specific"
https://store.haveinc.com/c-937-rca-cable-end-connectors.aspx
You can buy assembled cables using these components:
https://store.haveinc.com/c-261-rca-male-to-rca-male.aspx

But even with Mogami mic cable, Canare RCA's and your "time"... you'll be bumping up against the $$ of the Decware wires.  And don't forget you'll also need a good soldering station, good solder, good soldering skills, a decent multi-meter, and patience to boot.  But if you're a person who gets satisfaction from "making your own" - you have to consider that as well.

If you want to step it up on the RCA's, go for the KLEI stuff.  Don't go crazy, just start with the copper ones.
https://kleinnovations.com/kle-innovations-klei-products/klei-harmony-connectors...  

It also all kind of depends on your "objective".  Do you want accuracy, or are you looking for your own personal tone control in the form of interconnects, speaker cables and power cables.  Wire performance depends on a few well known parameters, LC & R (inductance, capacitance and resistance).  Then you have to consider shielding for the every increasing noise polluted environments we live in, with WiFi, Bluetooth, cell phones, microwaves all over the place, transformers in adjacent components, switching power supplies, blah, blah, blah.  And you can experiment with magnetic interaction between individual strands in the wire by various braiding methods, separation, floating shields, etc.

There is a guy on audiogon that sells interconnects made with mogami cable Neutrik RCA's - his user name is "imjerrys" he advertises as "10 Audio".  Check the "quantity" of his 100% positive feedback - he has to be doing something right.

I also have some of these off "the Zon"... made with mogami and KLE RCA's.... they ain't bad.
https://www.amazon.com/Foot-Audiophile-High-Definition-Interconnect-Connectors/d...
They're also getting more and more expensive.  Back when I bought some, they were less than $100 for a meter pair.

As an audiofool who has been on the hunt for the holy grail of home audio reproduction for over 40 years... I would advise someone just starting their journey to just get some solid basic cables and not get caught up in the snake-oil and voodoo world of high-end "wire".  I have accumulated a mass of wire over the years.  I have various models of Audioquest, Kimber, Nordost, Alpha Core Goertz, Decware, DIY's, Wire World and others I can't remember at the moment.  I have found that the Goertz stuff sounds good to my ears, in most systems.  It is made by Bridgeport Magnetics, who makes transformers for Medical equipment and numerous other "mission critical" electrical components.
https://www.bridgeportmagnetics.com/product-category/goertz-audio/  i.e. they know more than a little bit about transmission of electrical signals over wire.  I have copper and silver Goertz wire.  Their is an audible difference, if you're components are transparent enough to reveal it.  But I would just get the copper versions - they are relatively inexpensive when it comes to "audiophile" approved cables.
A 1m pair of copper Goertz RCA's are $160.
https://www.thecableco.com/tq-2-triode-quartz-copper-interconnect-rca-pair.html

Watch the gon for used Kimber PBJ interconnects.  These will shock most people with how good they are.  Their 8VS speaker wire drives right down the middle of the road too IMO - one of my old reliable favs.  Not the 4VS or 12VS... the 8VS has better measured electrical parameters.

Decware Torii MK3, Wyred4Sound DAC2, Theta Digital Miles, Emotiva XMC-1, Emotiva XPA-5, Aesthetix Calypso, Wyred STP-SE, Martin Logan Vista, Audio Nirvana 12" Alnico's, PS Audio PW P5, Goertz, Kimber, Nordost and DIY wires, PSA pwr cords, Cary SLI-80, DM945's.....
  IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #22 - 03/29/22 at 02:24:07

Nice input Maddog. I was writing for a while off and on, and forgot to check if there were new posts, but glad to glance over your post after posting the below. I will read it more carefully and hope mine, from my angle, is not redundant or contrary.

Sounds like you might have been following Jeff Day Puggy?

To me it is all so relative, what we used before, and what we are using for power, other components, room, and what effects we want if we seek something a little off neutral.

As I recall it was Jeff Day's Japanese vintage amp modding friend who got a buzz going on Belden ICs, as well and NOS WE 16 gauge speaker wire via Jeff's site (precursor to Duelund tinned copper as I recall). I was intrigued, and made some Beldon/Switchcraft ICs, and tried some NOS WE 16 gauge tinned copper too. Both were interesting to me, but definitely flavored, each in different ways... To me, the Beldons had a nice seemingly resolving, biggish warm midrange, but to me lacked the finest detail and space. A little rolled off as I recall, and a little slow, and though big/warmth was convincing, it was just more "flavored" than I had come to need for what I find "musical."

Then I changed the switchcraft RCAs with Eichmann copper IC ends I had on hand, and that helped resolution, speed and space some, but they were still a little too colored "warm," and missing fine detail for me.

The WE 16 gauge wire was also flavored, this one not particularly weighty, or excessively warm per se, but leaning toward a lively and exciting upper midrange, and I liked that sound. But again, missing some of the finer detail in the balances I had come to love, and with them the bass in my system just plain died... 16 gauge not enough wire to get bass happening with my HR-1s in this system and room. I can't say how this would relate to faster/efficient open baffles, or other higher efficiency speakers not having any, but here, these wires were extreme in low end leanness, though with a seductive midrange.

But where was I coming from?

I had some nice VHAudio recipe power cables and ICs and had made some complex speaker cables of Ethernet cable wires for my SS system, so I knew how much cables could matter. Then, especially after getting into Decware, and tuning my room more, better cables became attractive toward even more transparent resolution and speed... bringing out more "lost in the music" potential... and a long quest began.

When Belden ICs and WE wires came on the scene, I had my first personal variation on the VHAudio recipe using UPOCC silver/cotton with nice KLE ends, and liked it notably better than the VH recipe. And my speaker cables then were Synergistic Research Copper Elements I had found a great price on, with their special active ground and UEF treatments, both very effective in AB tests. Both ICs and speaker cables had notably complete resolution, and being really good materials and design, while apparently seeking neutral and transparent revelation, they both allowed very complete detail complexity with smoothness and musically.

They fit pretty well in what I think of as a musical "reference" sound, which has always been to my tastes. I can definitely enjoy some pleasantly colored things, tubes, cables, amps, speakers, (though I always craved resolving and balanced front ends), but I rarely love notable colorations if I can't tune them into a more transparent, neutral and resolving base... leaving a touch of the sweet coloring, but the primary impression of transparency and neutrality. And for me, this has to happen without notable sacrifice to any part of the spectrum, spectrally and resolution wise.

As I developed my Decware systems, tuned to be very resolving, neutral and a little sweet/warm, but basically uncolored... with increased resolution and harmonics, I became intrigued by the very fine information, and less tolerant of loosing any complexity and space if seeking subtle colorations damaged space and fine detail. This was especially the case once I got my Tranquility DAC (now many mods later/better), and a computer, software, and cables tuned for it to show all its resolving potential. I loved very fine detail in space, and the Tranquility took it to new levels once I got it balanced well in my system/room. Less smearing, more resolution, giving more convincing and complete harmonics in space... textures, decays, spaces between players, room spaces and decay trails.... and importantly, less hardness due to the more resolved and discrete detail complexity tending to feather hard edges if tuned right.

But I did like that WE 16 gauge upper mid lift and complexity, so started to experiment.

I had gotten a big length of the wire from Ebay before it got expensive, so I tried doubling them up, two to + and two to -. And the upper mids that were compellingly, became harder, more rigid though the bass body and weight did come up a notch or two. Then I tried three wires together, and the same happened in both areas, the bass still a little lean here, but usable then, and the mids were still a little punched up in the upper mids, but not as sweet anymore, too concentrated, losing complexity... hard.

Luckily though, this is what led me to make the cables I love and still use... I reasoned that by using one strand of WE 16 gauge it would probably retain its sweet mid complexity, and to bring up bass I made a more optimal gauge for my needs by adding soft annealed pure copper in air (oversized teflon), and soft annealed pure silver in air (oversized teflon). I hoped I might get the best of all three worlds... And it worked, getting some of that compelling WE mid flavor but less obvious, along with a neutral and extended soft annealed pure copper feel, and the whole made more resolving and extended with a neutral and more resolving but smooth soft annealed silver character. After getting the right wire sizes to give nice seamless balances, I played with the number of wire crossings using loose twists to reduce minor smearing until I got enhanced clarity and speed right down into the bass, but not obvious... cleaner, but still smooth and musical.

So for me, the Beldon ICs were definitely interesting, and may have become more interesting with even better ends than Eichmanns, but those are pretty transparent ends, so for my needs, I gave up there. I could definitely see the attraction many have for this cable though, pretty sweetly musical within what to me are its limitations...

And the 16 gauge WE were great to me mixed with other more neutral wires... but were not close to right here with their bass attenuation in this system. That said, I can't comment on Duelund tinned copper sound, and how much they changed the WE sound, not having heard it yet, but I suspect I would end up pretty close to the same results with Duelund 16 gauge only. Whereas, using it as part of a more complex blend was interesting to me once the word was out on Duelund's wire. So quite a few years ago now, I bought some during a sale, hoping to make another pair of speaker cables with UPOCC silver and copper, but have not taken the time, the ones I have sounding so amazing it is hard to prioritize. I do look forward to making these cables though as I bet they will be a nice step up, and also look forward to comparing the WE and Duelund, as I have enough of both.

Looking at ICs on AliExpress for another forum member, I am finding some conceptually interesting ICs that are of good materials and interesting designs. Not having heard most of them, guesswork, but by the looks of some of them, some UPOCC copper with nice looking ends, and some very pure silver plate on UPOCC copper may be quite nice nice too. I have tried one of these silver plated cables, and was pretty impressed. Traditionally I have not been a big fan of most silver plate on copper wires, two sounds that are apparently tricky to balance together seamlessly in one wire. But these seemed to solve a lot of that for me... presumably the right silver thickness for the strands, and likely as much or more, the very high purity metals, and OCC casting.... I thought the silver traits with copper traits came together pretty nicely on this particular pair. And these extra good wire types are now pretty common in Chinese and Taiwanese cables, so I have been looking at some inexpensive variations on this theme as well as OCC copper.... I am guessing the ones with better designs and ends of both, UPOCC copper and silver plated UPOCC copper could be quite resolving and musical... good if transparency, neutrality, and more ultimate resolution are priorities. And many seem to be as cheap or cheaper than the ready made Beldens. So probably a good area to look for budget cables that may have few compromises.

All this is just another personal look, as no doubt lots of pretty serious listeners have fallen for the WE/Duelund wires and Belden/Switchraft ICs.... but hopefully this experience will help for others in sorting through all this wire stuff.

From my experience and explorations, seems most of us tend to start into deeper listening thinking of components as primary, and cables secondary. But the best components are made of carefully tuned wires, caps and resistors, connectors, etc... so are a complex of a lot of things feeding and supporting each other, including wires (like in cables) to move the energy around, hopefully without damage.

And our house power, power conditioners, and AC power cables feed energy to and from the components, giving them a leg up for better sound, or limiting potential.... the cables a big part of defining the quality of the energy feeding the component's connectors, caps and resistors, tubes, etc. And in my explorations, on components or cables, connectors are really big-time... the gateway to letting the energy flow easier, more completely, and without color.... or not, so the qualities of connectors effect everything beyond.

For everything I find power quality and flow is critical to how smoothly and completely all the component parts work, and therefore critical to the qualities of the sound these parts individually and collectively make. Smooth/clean power in the correct amounts makes for smoother/cleaner, less smeared, more resolving and neutral component sound.

Then ICs... like power cords, the character of the materials, gauges, geometry, damping, dielectrics, connectors... they effect the energy moving between components for better or worse, in the case of an IC the critical signal energy... and the signal energy is "formed" based on the qualities of the power energy... so our system sound is all one big stream of energy, and anything along the way can help or hurt. Then there is room, but ..... another topic.

So to me, getting the system energy qualities as close to "right" all along the way, circuit box to speaker drivers, is really tricky. And there can be all levels of refinement, or lack thereof based on the particular matrix that is a system... each part along the way effecting all the others. So with all great wires/cables, the metals, purity, and forming methods used, the dielectric, the gauges, geometry, damping, wire blending, ends...these all effect all the sonic balances in resolving systems. This is a primary reason I try to get all the cables and components musical, but pretty neutral and resolving, so I know I have a decent reference for improving from, and hopefully avoiding a labyrinth of compensations that can make the system harder to read clearly.

All that said, for me anyway, cables are every bit as important as the all important front end, or the amp, or pre, or speakers... all conveyors and modifiers of energy that is much more capable of producing greatness with the right conditions, and way too easy to damage with the wrong ones.

My take at this point anyway.

Will

IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #23 - 03/29/22 at 16:20:54

Another excellent post Will! Save me time with experimental cables. I hear what your talking about in a bulging midrange with tin plated copper. I like the mix you came up with and often though of giving it a whirl. Even adding gold plated! I have shielded occ cooper silver plated on order and gold plated copper base RCAs. Braided geometry will be used. The resulting cable will be it for this year. Too much fun in the sun is forthcoming!

Thank you for sharing Smiley

John

AMC CD8b>XO3>Cambridge CXN2>ZDAC>ZBOX>braided silver/occ> Zrock2>CSP2+>SE84 milflex copper 25th>9AWG silver/copper braid>lii Crystal 10 in Huijgen cabinets. Ortofon 2M Black>JVC QL-F4/Otari MX5050B2>ZP3. Isolation. AC filtering. Room treatment.
  IP Logged
MikeinMontana
Seasoned Member

Reply #24 - 03/29/22 at 17:44:00

This cable/wire thing has always intrigued me. What does 'to voice all his products' mean exactly? I hear that quite a bit. Thanks ~Mike

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #25 - 03/29/22 at 20:08:28

Mike,

To me, voicing is the process of creating and tuning the "voice," say of an amp or speaker or cable.... seeking to find the just-so complex of design and parts to bring out all the balances of balances that can activate a captivating musical experience. So voicing might be starting with a design the "voicer" knows and likes, and/or conceptually tuning the design based on sonic experience, and then putting it together and adjusting it by sound until that voice fits the goals of the voicer. Open to discovery and looking for a sound complex that is special...all the parts and design aspects can be the voicers's tools.

IP Logged
Coyote
Seasoned Member

Reply #26 - 03/30/22 at 04:25:49

Greetings everyone,
What a great exchange, I hope it continues.
I have pulled the trigger on some speaker cables from a suggestion from Will.
I have never purchased anything from the likes of "Ali..." so I am a bit nervous.
Will also PMed me some interesting IC cables and I intend to purchase a few from him.

Will, if you read this there are at least two pairs I am interested in.

I promise to give some feed back to the group. I hope there will be value in my newbie comments for the less experienced among us.

Kind regards,

a.

My modest system:
SE84UFO2.(2).
Marantz 2235.
Schiit Mani.
Technic SL23.
Oppo CD/DVD.
ATAUDIO 12TC Pure OCC.
  IP Logged
MikeinMontana
Seasoned Member

Reply #27 - 03/31/22 at 02:19:02

Thank you Will~ We've always had BlueJean cables in here. Not ridiculously priced and have not fallen apart after many years of use. Take care~ Mike

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #28 - 04/03/22 at 00:49:05

Hey Mike.

Yes I vaguely recall Blue Jeans as not bad cables. But in my experience trying them quite a few years ago, the Blue Jean engineer-speak did not add up to the sound quality they would lead us to expect... at least compared to more advanced cables made by experimental people deciding design and materials by sound rather than a more exclusive dependance on measurements.

No doubt this depends on the system and room, and would be less noticeable in less resolving systems than Decware is capable of, but my system/room was pretty resolving, and the Blue Jean cables I tried were not for me. I had explored several effective DIY cable upgrades, trying some different designs, wires, gauge, etc, so I knew there could be audible differences beyond specs. That said, I think there are some pretty nice cables that can be decent for a more inexpensive path, some of those options posted in this thread.

But in my experience, for my tastes, there were better cables than the Blue Jeans I tried 12-15 years ago. These cost more, but did not break the bank, and I think cables overall are much better now. Add some of the high quality Chinese designs, wires and ends... available inexpensively now, this makes more refined sound even more available to more folks.

Then again, from my perspective, still continuing to dig pretty deep into resolution and lucidity, I need to take it all a few steps further.... And as I have said, to me, the cables are as important as the components for a complete sound, so less of an option than they once appeared. If a cable can't move the energy as cleanly and musically as the component can produce, it is downgrading the component and the whole system. So thinking of cables as secondary to save money can have some fairly serious long term consequences. After burnin, they will not get better even if the rest of the system does, making them a weaker and weaker link and reducing potential of the whole.

And pretty decent cables can trick us, sounding pretty good in a good system. As an example, the Mogami cable mentioned above, used in Decware amps and as an option for ICs, I have tested it and I like it, a good sounding relatively low cost shielded cable. But after a bunch of (by sound) modification upgrades in my amps that increased resolution and translucency musically, having started with a lot of careful bypass caps, some resistors, coupling caps, and a few wire changes... those wire changes got my attention. This "conveyance" shift being pretty notable within the context of these more and more revealing components, I went for the "gateway" connectors, the IEC, RCAs and binding posts. And nothing stayed in that was not a notable improvement to me with good balances of balances. The baseline sound was/is similar in a lot of areas as the original, but it just got progressively faster, more revealing, resolving and more refined/nuanced... just more there across the spectrum from a good balance of nice parts, each contributing, and allowing less subtle impediments and smears to confuse the signal...together, giving the whole a more refined and complete sound across recordings.

So I decided to test the Mogami cable from the RCAs to the channel switch near the attenuator of my Torii IV, replacing them with Neotech silver UPOCC for signal, and more colorful and less transparent, but interesting Duelund silver for the return, while using a special geometry I found I liked that helps with clarity and for cancelling noise musically. In the context of my tuned up amp, this was, in a serious listening way, a pretty amazing improvement. And that led to more wire experiments, now having no more Mogami in use in my amps... Mind you, these were all components I loved with Mogami cables being a big player in the original voicing, components I used and loved for years before I started a long progression of experiments trying to take it all further, and really, as far as I could, using concepts and tech, but ultimately all choices determined by sound.

So as usual, I think a lot depends on where our systems and rooms are, how we want them to become, and how far we want to go to get them there. Smiley

IP Logged
DirtDawg
Ex Member

Reply #29 - 04/03/22 at 00:57:00

Coyote wrote on 03/27/22 at 20:36:09:
Dawg,

You mentioned power cables. Personally I will hold on that until I get a "line conditioner" or UPS, I have to research the difference, if any.

Hi, Coyote, I fully agree with the notion that clean power is the best place to start.

I have an ancient (vintage - '87 era) KleenLine isolation trasformer/power conditioning set up that I once used to power my old PM2000 Yamaha mixing consoles and low level house gear from way back when I still ran a sound reinforcement company.
I have kept one of them for my home stereo use all this time, but it has suffered some indignity as a garage unit for a long time. It's in my room, now.

The KleenLine is 120/240v and delivers 7000 watts of "kleen" power in theory. Lots of huge caps inside it.
But, like most of my old pro-audio gear, it weighs about 85lbs and takes up a noticeable amount of floor space. BUT running that thing definitely darkens the audio background a great deal.

It does a lot, I think, but from an enlightening conversation I had earlier with Lon, his experience suggests that I use my best cable to power THAT unit rather than some of my more delicate, sensitive gear.

I can't wait to have time to goof around with that idea.
Last time I had this beast in my system I had no upper grade power cabling of any sort. I do have two old medical unit cables that are shielded which I still use, but all my other cables are some kind of pro audio cables from many years ago.  

I'm kind of in the middle of an ever expanding "honey do" list for most of this day and probably tomorrow as well.
Spent half the day assembling Ikea storage benches.
Smiley

Thanks for the input.

IP Logged
DirtDawg
Ex Member

Reply #30 - 04/03/22 at 01:11:41

Oh, I forgot to mention your other point, but I think Lon covered it well.

A universal power supply is designed for you to save your work on a computer in case the power goes down while you are working. They are basically a short term storage battery, not much more.

They were never intended to suffice as a kind of line conditioner for any other purpose. They can be a treasure, but not what we need for our best gear.

IP Logged
Coyote
Seasoned Member

Reply #31 - 04/04/22 at 20:40:03

Hi All,

Thank you all for the comments.
0K, so now I know the difference between the two.

I am getting my plate a bit full with audio gear at the moment with the turn table, IC & spk cables, and building the Lii15f OB.

I might also send the Quad 33 and the 2x 303 mono blocks for a Tune-up.

I think I will put all this back together and do some listening
& tuning before getting more stuff! Likely the next round will be clean power and power cables.

Cheers,

a.

My modest system:
SE84UFO2.(2).
Marantz 2235.
Schiit Mani.
Technic SL23.
Oppo CD/DVD.
ATAUDIO 12TC Pure OCC.
  IP Logged
maddog07
Seasoned Member

seeker of truth

Reply #32 - 04/08/22 at 19:37:24

the wise audiofool... only changes one thing in his system at a time....
Get your system together and listen for awhile - to establish a baseline.  Only when your confident of your systems overall personality, then start changing things - one at a time.  Otherwise you will loose track of what produced a change in the sound, whether for the better or for the worse.

Decware Torii MK3, Wyred4Sound DAC2, Theta Digital Miles, Emotiva XMC-1, Emotiva XPA-5, Aesthetix Calypso, Wyred STP-SE, Martin Logan Vista, Audio Nirvana 12" Alnico's, PS Audio PW P5, Goertz, Kimber, Nordost and DIY wires, PSA pwr cords, Cary SLI-80, DM945's.....
  IP Logged
Tony
Seasoned Member

"Life without
..music is
inconceivable"
A.Einsteln

Reply #33 - 04/08/22 at 20:59:17

Good advice, Maddog. I learned that the hard way.

SE84UFO25 | Ic0n4 Passive Preamp | ZBIT | Cambr. CXNv2 | Denafrips Pontus II | Denafrips Gaia | Media Converter | Decware I/Cs | Decware Pwr Cbls | ZWIRE Speaker Cbls | Omega SAHOM & KEF KC62 | Furman Cond l GIK Room Trmt
  IP Logged
maddog07
Seasoned Member

seeker of truth

Reply #34 - 04/08/22 at 23:38:47

Tony - yeah me too, I think most of us did....

IP Logged
Coyote
Seasoned Member

Reply #35 - 04/09/22 at 01:15:11

"then start changing things - one at a time."

Thank you! Good advice.

a.

My modest system:
SE84UFO2.(2).
Marantz 2235.
Schiit Mani.
Technic SL23.
Oppo CD/DVD.
ATAUDIO 12TC Pure OCC.
  IP Logged
Coyote
Seasoned Member

Reply #36 - 04/09/22 at 01:26:38

Hi All,

Little positive update on the ATAUDIO 12TC Hifi Speaker Cable High Quality Pure OCC Speaker Wire With Banana Jack...

I received them today, nice surprise as they were not expected before around April 20th.

The quality seems very nice. Fittings are tights, the shrink tubes are long and well shrinked.

I will not have those going for a little while but I will update when I get them on.

Cheers,

a.

My modest system:
SE84UFO2.(2).
Marantz 2235.
Schiit Mani.
Technic SL23.
Oppo CD/DVD.
ATAUDIO 12TC Pure OCC.
  IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #37 - 04/11/22 at 03:54:05

Those cables look pretty nice, Coyote.

I have resolved myself to focus on the wall plugs or rather what ever soup is coming out of them first, then the bare walls will be addressed more fully.

Everything in between will come after that is accomplished. Hopefully I can get to a few more degrees above what where I started a couple of months back with my fluffy spun fiber stuff.

I'll guess those cables are quite an upgrade for you. I'll watch for your reports.

Hope they serve you well.

SE84Cs Mono'ed, Lii Audio F15 OB, W15 "H" Frame Subwoofer, McIntosh MC2500, Lazarus Pre, Dual TT, Ortofon, Kleenline Iso Power, Revox, Crown R-R, Pioneer Elite Digital Source
  IP Logged
Tony
Seasoned Member

"Life without
..music is
inconceivable"
A.Einsteln

Reply #38 - 05/02/22 at 15:53:39

For anyone wanting an excellent tutorial on cables (speaker and interconnects,) this exchange of information is exceptional.  I read it a couple of months ago, then lost the thread.  A belated thanks to all for your contributions.

SE84UFO25 | Ic0n4 Passive Preamp | ZBIT | Cambr. CXNv2 | Denafrips Pontus II | Denafrips Gaia | Media Converter | Decware I/Cs | Decware Pwr Cbls | ZWIRE Speaker Cbls | Omega SAHOM & KEF KC62 | Furman Cond l GIK Room Trmt
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print