Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/18/24 at 19:41:01 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
What is this little black box? (Read 1693 times)
JBzen
Seasoned Member

What is this little black box?
03/15/22 at 09:20:11

I saw this in the video Steve just released of his new Silver 8 speakers. It is definitely in the loop and looks to be a tube DAC with gain control. Something new?

John

AMC CD8b>XO3>Cambridge CXN2>ZDAC>ZBOX>braided silver/occ> Zrock2>CSP2+>SE84 milflex copper 25th>9AWG silver/copper braid>lii Crystal 10 in Huijgen cabinets. Ortofon 2M Black>JVC QL-F4/Otari MX5050B2>ZP3. Isolation. AC filtering. Room treatment.
  IP Logged
Richie_C
Verified Member

Re: What is this little black box?
Reply #1 - 03/16/22 at 00:52:59

RCA switch-box?

IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #2 - 03/16/22 at 02:44:47

The fact that it is on top of the Cambridge DAC tells me that it’s prolly a ZBIT. To take advantage of the DAC’s balanced connections, to the SE84UFO25.

I think the cables next to it must just be sitting there and not connected to anything.

(2)SE84UFO(Balanced Monoblocs) OR Sansui AU-222
Crown sub amp
Cambridge Audio CXN(ModWright) • ZBIT
SL-1210MK5(KAB Mods) Soundsmith Aida MKll cart • Darlington Labs MP-7
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
Lii Audio PT-10/W-15 in open baffles
  IP Logged
Zork
Verified Member

Reply #3 - 03/16/22 at 03:41:26

I think it is a ZBIT you can see XLR on one side with RCA out on the other side in this video.  It's a great solution if it is in fact a ZBIT.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aooHwbAz_74&ab_channel=DECWAREHighFidelityEngine....

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #4 - 03/16/22 at 04:41:13

Yes, it is a ZBIT and it's how you make that or any DAC sound like it cost twice as much.  In this example, I have created a gain structure between the preamp volume controls and the amplifier controls as well as got the room balance where I want it and would hate to loose the setting since it takes some time to fine.  The ZBIT them becomes the master volume for the whole ball of wax which is why you saw me turn it up on one of the electronic music videos.

WWW   IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 03/16/22 at 12:35:48

Thanks. Guess my eyes are glossed over still hoping that you would tackle a DAC.

John

AMC CD8b>XO3>Cambridge CXN2>ZDAC>ZBOX>braided silver/occ> Zrock2>CSP2+>SE84 milflex copper 25th>9AWG silver/copper braid>lii Crystal 10 in Huijgen cabinets. Ortofon 2M Black>JVC QL-F4/Otari MX5050B2>ZP3. Isolation. AC filtering. Room treatment.
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #6 - 03/16/22 at 13:11:34

I think as far as DACs Steve is "once bitten, twice shy." He created a great one for the price and the Chinese company he contracted with. . . ripped it off. After that he built a very intriguing one for himself (you could blend tube and solid state output!) but I don't know if he ever made others, perhaps, but it did not become a catalog item.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print