Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/25/24 at 11:03:34 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Question for experienced Decware owners (Read 5824 times)
jec3504
Ex Member

Question for experienced Decware owners
03/03/22 at 22:33:34

If you could only get one piece of Decware gear what would it be? Preamp or Amp ?

IP Logged
HockessinKid
Seasoned Member

Re: Question for experienced Decware owners
Reply #1 - 03/03/22 at 22:34:55

Get an amp first. Then get the preamp, if you can't get both together. Get 25th Anniversary modifications with whatever amp and preamp you get.

HK

Nottingham Interspace TT w/ Audio Technica AT-OC9XML cart + Modwright PH 9.0XT phono OR Modwright modded Cambridge CNX V2 > CSP3-25th Ann. preamp > ZMA-25th Ann. amp > PI Audio UberBUSS > Caintuck Audio Lii15 Magnum speakers > Snake River Audio & ZenWave cables
  IP Logged
spyder1
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 03/03/22 at 23:51:09

Order your amplifier first. With a great source you may not need a pre-amp.
If your sources are digital, your DAC will have multiple digital inputs. If you have both digital, and analog sources, order your Decware Amplifier with 2 sets of RCA inputs. If you can get along w/o a pre-amp, then why purchase one?

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #3 - 03/04/22 at 00:52:06

Amp. Easy call.

[FOOBAR2000 | Jay's CDT2 MRK3] -> Denafrips Terminator 2 + Gaia
Sumiko Pearwood -> Mapleknoll Athena -> Luxman SUT -> Maple-tree Phono 3E
Woo WA22 -> 2x UFO25s, balanced monos
Omega SAM , Hifiman Arya, Senn HD-650
  IP Logged
Doug
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 03/04/22 at 01:12:36

Having just shy of ten years experience with Decware amps, speakers, and a CSP3 with 25th mods, my vote is for a preamp, however, this is most likely a minority opinion, and probably a small minority.  

What components are in your current system?

Jay’s CD2T-Mk3
Denafrips Pontus II
ZROCK2 25th Mods
CSP3 25th & Custom Mods
PAP Quintets with Voxativ 1.6
First Watt J2 or Cary 300SEI
driving Voxativs—no crossover
LFD NCSE driving 15” Woofers
  IP Logged
chapsjon
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 03/04/22 at 01:32:35

Since you ask the question, I assume you have some kind of amp already. It might be helpful to know what you have. I have used the CSP2+ with multiple amps to great effect. I loved the combination with a SS pure class A.

If you have no amp or want a purist Decware system, the answer has to be start with the amp. As has been said, one of the great things about Decware amps that is not actually all that common is that they don't require a preamp. They work wonderfully without one, although adding a preamp does bring greater flexibility and ability to ride the gain.

LR:Mini Torii+Wright WPP100 phono, CSP2+SE84UFO, Pioneer Exclusive M4, Accuphase E-303,Graham Slee Jazz Club, Technics SL-1200MK3D Grace F-8 & Nagaoka MP-110, Yamaha NS-1000M, KEF Reference 101, Sony SS-5050
BR: SE84C+, ZP1 phono, Decware 945
JVC QL-7 Shure V15
  IP Logged
JOMAN
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 03/04/22 at 02:19:05

I'm in the small minority with Doug, get a CSP3 Anniversary edition or a CSP3 modded with the A-mods with Miflex caps.  If you don't have an amp and want to get into low efficiency get a pre owned SE84UFO to go with the CSP3, or any other pre owned Decware amp of your choice.

When I had my CSP3 modded the difference it made was mind blowing.  No I would not sell my UFO25 but, I did have a UFO2 with meters and sold it a a very reasonable price to make room for the UFO25.  At the time there were no A mods for the CSP3.  If there were and I combined it with the UFO2 I'm quite sure it would have taken a lot longer to get the UFO25.  Not that I regret what I did.

A very long time ago I was told to start with the source first.  I didn't listen. After many years and many dollars I finally got it.  If it's a matter of available funds get the CSP3 with mods and Miflex or a CSP3 and get it modded!

IP Logged
johnnycopy
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 03/04/22 at 05:44:11

What is your musical taste?

What volume do you like to listen at?

What will you be using as speakers and source?

What do you not like about your system currently (what is missing for you)?

What do you like about your system?

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 03/04/22 at 06:21:05

When I started my Decware odyssey, Steve told me my amp was my "weakest link" so I started there.  But I still bought the amp, pre and phono stage all together.  And with the current wait list, that's the only practical way to go.

ZLC
Technics 1200G TT w/ Ortofon Jubilee MC cart
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Homemade Big Betsy Speakers (F15s)
Silver Cabling
DIY Isolation platforms under amps & TT.
  IP Logged
jec3504
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 03/05/22 at 05:30:39

Thanks for all the replies,

Sorry I guess the question is a little vague.

Current system Schiit Audio
Freya + preamp
2 Aegir amps
Bitfrost dac
Lii F15 in unfinished baffles
DIY speaker cables

System 2 (plan A)
Decware SE84UFO2.1 On order just north of 100 on list
Denafrips Terminator II (unpurchased)
Lii F15 in custom made baffles (unpurchased or made)
new cables and interconnects (unpurchased)
Fully modded Zrock on order just north of 1400 on list

Current system will be headed up to the north woods spring thru fall after system 2 is built.

So that was the plan. Thinking about changing to plan B

Decware CSP3 fully modded or CSP325
unknow Class A amp
Denafrips dac
unknow speakers
speaker cables and interconnects

Really appreciate the replies Thank you all

So If you could get just one piece of Decwear gear what would it be?

IP Logged
armstdav
Seasoned Member

Reply #10 - 03/05/22 at 06:22:35

I own or have owned the following in your approximate orbit:

CSP3 with Jupiter caps
Torii Mk IV
SE341.2+
Schiit Bifrost
Caintuck Lii-15
DNA speakers

I've owned other EL84 amps but not an SE84.

If I could only buy one piece of Decware gear, it would be a higher watt amp like the Torii or the ZMA. I know how sweet an EL84 amp can sound and I'm certain the SE84 is fantastic, but 2 watts severely limits your choice of speakers.

Once you've chosen speakers, the best Decware amp will reveal itself. You can't go wrong with any of them.

IP Logged
chapsjon
Seasoned Member

Reply #11 - 03/05/22 at 15:05:22

This might sound trite, but you really can't lose either way. Especially since used Decware gear is now very easy to sell. You can always try something and switch it up if, for example, you decide 2w isn't enough. The hard part is the wait list. I'm sure that is causing you to want to be sure you get it right the first time.

Out of the two options you've outlined, I too have conflicting thoughts. Plan B gives you a little more flexibility on speakers and I personally know that a CSP2+ and a quality Class A SS sound amazing. Of course, you can always add a Decware amp later and sell the SS amp. Downside, you will probably eventually want that Decware amp. A part of me, at least, would always wonder what could have been.

Plan A is more limiting on speaker options (assuming it'll be your main system and you want some good volume). On the other hand, you will have no doubt that your amp is one of the best you can get. If you have the right speakers, there is a good chance you don't need more power and you stick with this amp. You can always add a CSP3 later for greater flexibility but that's an option. In this scenario, you don't have to try and sell something, but maybe add to it later. Like I said, this assumes volume is sufficient.

I have been fortunate to get some Decware gear used before the craze. I have not tried they PP amps (only SET and SEP), so can't say whether another amp may suit you better. In my experience and from what I've read in reviews and this forum, the SE84 is the pure, classic Decware sound. The limitation, of course, is power, but the sound is amazing. I, for one, am willing to trade volume for tone. With the right speakers, this trade off may not be necessary. I don't know as I don't have super high efficiency speakers. But I am so pleased with the SE84 that I have another on order.

Sorry if I muddied the waters. Bottom line: get some Decware gear. You'll be glad you did.

LR:Mini Torii+Wright WPP100 phono, CSP2+SE84UFO, Pioneer Exclusive M4, Accuphase E-303,Graham Slee Jazz Club, Technics SL-1200MK3D Grace F-8 & Nagaoka MP-110, Yamaha NS-1000M, KEF Reference 101, Sony SS-5050
JVC QL-7 Shure V15
  IP Logged
busterfree
Seasoned Member

Reply #12 - 03/05/22 at 19:21:33

I would get the CSP3 preamp with your 100 spot. Then, I would make a decision on speakers. You can find many amps (SS or tube) that are readily available. Then, I would get on the list for an ultimate Decware amp. I would want one flexible to move between the two systems. Thanks

IP Logged
piezoman
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 03/05/22 at 20:03:16

Quote:
If I could only buy one piece of Decware gear, it would be a higher watt amp like the Torii or the ZMA. I know how sweet an EL84 amp can sound and I'm certain the SE84 is fantastic, but 2 watts severely limits your choice of speakers

I agree.

I fell into that trap and found that 3.2w in a small treated room with 95db single driver tower speakers and a sub simply didn't cut the mustard: too thin, too weak when power was needed for the peaks. So after 1.5 years, I sold the Taboo MK 4 to a headphones only user who could appreciate it. Speakers are not the Taboo's primary mission, and 3.2w is definitely too paltry for the glory of classical....as well as jazz rock, blues rock, and prog rock.

IP Logged
Dana
Seasoned Member

Reply #14 - 03/05/22 at 20:36:18

Low power amps take planning.  Traditional speakers aren't going to match up well if you need to fill a space with volume.  With a guideline of 3db requires double in power would 98db speakers with the same amplifier been enough?  How about 101db speakers?

I would recommend finding the speakers prior to the amp.  The constraints of size and placement for your lifestyle are major factors.  I'm running 2 watts with corner horns over 100db efficient and it will play fairly loud (over 85db) in my room which is pretty big.  Prior I was running over 350 watts on ADS towers and it didn't fill the space as the corner horns do.  

With my current setup the SE84UFO with NOS tubes is awesome.

Tom Waits:
And the newspapers were fooling,
And the ash-trays have retired
'Cause the piano has been drinking,
The piano has been drinking
The piano has been drinking,
Not me, not me, not me, not me, not me
  IP Logged
JOMAN
Seasoned Member

Reply #15 - 03/05/22 at 22:14:17

I'm running 2 watts with corner horns over 100db efficient and it will play fairly loud (over 85db) in my room which is pretty big.  Prior I was running over 350 watts on ADS towers and it didn't fill the space as the corner horns do.

There's the point.  It's not all about power and volume.  I've had exactly the same experience.  It wasn't until I started to understand the roll that gain structure and a good source played that I finally was able to achieve satisfying room filling results regardless of the size of room and regardless of the power of the amplifier.  In fact, without density, the louder the volume the more problematic the room acoustics became.

Sure, with certain speakers you do need more power than 2.3 watts.  But if the system cannot produce density and saturation within the volume levels that you choose, no matter how high or low, you will constantly be searching for a solution and often it will be in the wrong places because a bad habit will develop.  If 100 watts isn't enough then 200 must be the solution.  So one gets a 200 watt amp with no significant change where it matters most - density.

Regardless of the power of the amp make sure that you understand gain structure and know how to manipulate it and have the components that will allow you to work with it.  Also, don't underestimate the importance of working from the source down.  Garbage in - garbage out!  The better the amp the more it will amplify the garbage that it's given and be very happy to fill your large room with it.

I'm not saying don't get a ZMA or a Torii.  What I am saying is get what you need to deal with gain structure first, then get whatever amp suits your fancy.

IP Logged
chapsjon
Seasoned Member

Reply #16 - 03/05/22 at 22:29:41

Excellent point, and one I had not experienced until Decware. It's not about volume but density. I chased power and volume for a while thinking it would sound better. As you state, the louder the system, the more the room is a factor, which for most is bad news.

Decware allows me to hear the tone I want at low volume. Steve's early white papers explain the benefits of this well. A major part of the tone I am talking about is density. That can come with a good source with sufficient voltage output and an a SET amp. It is easier to achieve with the addition of a good pre such as the CSP2+ that I have.

JVC QL-7 Shure V15
  IP Logged
Dr3wman
Seasoned Member

Reply #17 - 03/06/22 at 00:20:33

Forgive a question that likely has an answer already within this forum-

Apart from volume at a given level, what advantages would you expect pairing an MKV with a 97db 16ohm speaker VS an 88db 4ohm speaker. Is that something that can even answered without hearing them in my room?

Torii MKV/25 mods
PS Audio Stellar Phono Preamplifier
Technics SL-1200GR w/ Nagaoka MP-200.
KLH Model 3 speakers..
Sonos connect.
  IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #18 - 03/06/22 at 02:06:38

I use a Torii III in one room with Decware MG944s rated at 94dB, and a Torii IV in my main room with updated pre-Decware release HR1s rated at 92.5/8 ohm (I believe). In these relatively high volume rooms... and for my immersion listening preferences (mids 70dBs to ~80 with max transient peaks in the 82-90 range depending on recordings)... and since my pre stages jack up Torii distortion potential some... while also preferring the sound from less than max power tube compliments in my amps... For these higher listening levels I can get occasional peak distortion on some recordings. So I would not be satisfied here with lower powered amps or less efficient speakers.

Sooo DR3, assuming the ratings on our speakers are correct, and sonic balances aside, guessing 88dB at 4 ohms would likely not allow enough Torii headroom for my preferences and in my systems and rooms. Whereas, 97@16 would likely allow more than enough volume for me without peak distortion.

Also here, though most everything is tuned up with serious modifications, my computer/DACs have good density, my Toriis are inherently weighty and dense, and my speakers are pretty good at density and weight also. But when I have put in a SE34 or a Taboo, all else the same, things did get leaner, while not having enough volume and headroom across recordings. But again... my setups.

So I can imagine the improvements from increasing source density with some setups, but with my source and the Toriis I have (one heavily modified throughout, and the other only having upgraded coupling caps and a few wire upgrades), I set things up so that my average gains from the pres bring out just a nice taste of the pre sound enhancements. Then, relatively speaking, this gives me more liquid resolution/density and lucidity, but pretty close to what my already smooth and densely resolving computer/DAC setups give without pre stages. And I love the sound with just the modified MKIV. But I love it more with the sonic enhancements my pre stages can contribute, with their extra tube tuning options, and from the gain balancing with the Torii they allow for fine tuning dynamics, density, lucidity, weight, etc. From this relatively neutral baseline, I use gain balancing between my CSP3, ZRock, and Torii all the time to bring the best out of various recordings.

So, as with the variety of considered opinions in these posts imply, I guess what we each might "need" is relative to the system/room complex we each have. Leading me personally to having difficulty suggesting which Decware component might be best to start out with. I like all I have tried, especially with elucidating modifications, and in the right company.

All Modified: PSA-P5>DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender>RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro/ZBIT/CSP3>OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV>Omega S-A-H-O monitors/SVS Micro3000>Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
jec3504
Ex Member

Reply #19 - 03/07/22 at 05:32:07

Thank you all  for your replies. Appreciate all your input.

Deposit for gear is worth the cost of admission to the Audio forums and website.

Decware's true strength is the knowledgeable people passionate for their gear.

IP Logged
jec3504
Ex Member

Reply #20 - 03/18/22 at 01:15:31

Timing is everything. Watched the Decware wave grow and jumped on. That led me to build my Schiit system with the only expectation that it didn't sound like A$$. Testing out some Lii F15's for the SE84UFO2 got me close to a sound from the past. Luckily  I'm getting close to a sound I been searching for. Bonus I bought a lot of tubes before the huge price increase. For the past 11 months been enjoying the rediscovery of Hifi. Last System I bought was in May of 1991 and that turned into a complete disaster. After that Hifi was put into the boat category. Love it as long someone else own it.

Thanks all

IP Logged
chapsjon
Seasoned Member

Reply #21 - 03/18/22 at 22:51:48

I hear you on the complete disaster.... I did the same in about 1996. Bought some new HiFi gear (in retrospect it was actually LoFi) thinking it was going to amaze me. It failed to take me back to my childhood nostalgia with music. I should have invested in vintage gear instead. I would've saved a ton and it would have sounded far better.

I was clueless about tube stereo gear at the time and I don't think Decware was on the radar yet, so that wouldn't have helped. Also, I thought it was about bigger gear and more watts back then, so never would have considered a few watts.

It has been quite a journey and I am confident I am not done yet with gear, but I am absolutely at the place where I have found what I was searching for: music. That may sound simplistic, but once you've experienced it, you know.

I've never tried Schitt, but heard good things. Now I have both vintage SS and Decware tube gear. They each have their own use and I enjoy both. Decware is the real deal, and even with recent price hikes, continues to be a true value for quality.

I am immensely grateful that I happened onto Decware several years ago. My life has truly been enriched by music via Decware.

JVC QL-7 Shure V15
  IP Logged
jec3504
Ex Member

Reply #22 - 03/25/22 at 19:34:18

Funny how things work out chapsjon. Dana said Quote:
Low power amps take planning.
It sure does. Hopefully my plans work out. Having a little knowledge can go a long way.

IP Logged
chapsjon
Seasoned Member

Reply #23 - 03/25/22 at 19:57:33

So true, low power and tube amps take some knowledge and planning. I was missing both earlier in life. In many ways, these are the things I enjoy about the hobby now. I am knowledgeable enough to know what I am looking for and can plan to achieve it bit by bit.

Having that ability to build a system based on what I like is so much more rewarding than just buying the newest shiny object at the big box store. The investment of knowledge, planning, and patience are part of why that's so. Along with the final sound of course!

JVC QL-7 Shure V15
  IP Logged
jec3504
Ex Member

Reply #24 - 05/11/22 at 18:53:31

So the deal is done. Just have to wait to try out a Decware preamp. Had to go with the amp. Keeping my expectations to a normal level. Thanks again for the input.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print