04/19/24 at 09:30:08 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Hello All (Read 1502 times)
Brian Jones
Verified Member

Hello All
03/01/22 at 20:22:30

I've been wanting to purchase a tube amp for some time, but I don't know enough about them technically to decide on a model. Could you help me determine which of your amps would be the best choice for me?

I'll be using the amp in a smaller room setting (bedroom) sitting about 6-10 feet from the speakers.

My current speakers are bookshelf Canton Karat 930 DC (impedance: 4-8 ohms; 9-inch woofer & 1-inch tweeter; bass reflex; nominal power handling 85 watts; music power handling 120 watts).  I can't find any mention of dB in the owners manual for these speakers.

I looked at the models on your website and think that either the ZEN Triode SE341.2+ or the ZEN MINI TORii SE would suit my needs, but I really don't understand the differences.  As there seem to be a lot of differences between these two amps, could you advise me on what some of these differences might mean to me?

For either of these amps, would it be advisable for me to also get a separate pre-amp?

Does the type of cartridge in the turntable matter to a tube amp?

Thanks for your help.

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Re: Hello All
Reply #1 - 03/01/22 at 20:30:01

Quote:
Does the type of cartridge in the turntable matter to a tube amp?

I think this comes into play only with respect to the output of the cartridge and the gain of your phono stage.  You'll want to check the amp specs to see how many input volts it takes to reach full power.  Steve's amps vary and your cart/phonostage may play well with a 1 volt amp but might need a boost for a 2 volt amp.  That generally means the addition of a gain stage between the phono stage and the amp.

ZLC
Technics 1200G TT w/ Ortofon Jubilee MC cart
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Homemade Big Betsy Speakers (F15s)
Silver Cabling
DIY Isolation platforms under amps & TT.
  IP Logged
Dr3wman
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 03/01/22 at 22:44:31

Brian -

Do you have a budget in mind?

Torii MKV/25 mods
PS Audio Stellar Phono Preamplifier
Technics SL-1200GR w/ Nagaoka MP-200.
KLH Model 3 speakers..
Sonos connect.
  IP Logged
HockessinKid
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 03/01/22 at 23:16:53

Brian,

Steve offers a lot of information on this website regarding selecting amplifiers and matching it with speakers. There are also valuable insights offered on the forum, just check out threads under each of the amplifier categories.

Here are a couple of useful pages for you to review:

https://www.decware.com/newsite/buyingguide.html

https://www.decware.com/paper43.htm

My best advice is that regardless of the amplier you choose make sure it will drive your speakers to desired listening levels, given your music preferences. Also read as many of Steve's papers as you can for his invaluable insights.

HK

Nottingham Interspace TT w/ Audio Technica AT-OC9XML cart + Modwright PH 9.0XT phono OR Modwright modded Cambridge CNX V2 > CSP3-25th Ann. preamp > ZMA-25th Ann. amp > PI Audio UberBUSS > Caintuck Audio Lii15 Magnum speakers > Snake River Audio & ZenWave cables
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print