Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/26/24 at 00:30:35 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Real experience with low efficiency speakers (Read 3292 times)
DowdyPrime
Verified Member

Real experience with low efficiency speakers
02/13/22 at 15:34:02

Hi Folks. Can I get your opinions?

I love listening to different combinations of components. (BTW, I listen at about 70-80 dBs, at about 8 feet from my speakers.) I currently have a pair of Zu Dirty Weekends, but I know that there will come a day when I'd like to try others. I'm afraid that going with SE84UFO25 will lock me into the high efficiency route too much. Several people on the SE84UFO25 forums claims that the amp punches way above its weight, and might even handle >85db efficient speakers.

1. Does anyone have direct experience with low efficiency pairings? if so, which speakers? I don't remember if statements I've read are speculations or reports.

2. I can have two more 'cautious' entries into the decware universe. I can go with :
   A) a Torii Jr or MK5, get more amps in return, but lose the 'purity' of non-push-pull SET.... But how these compare to the sound signature of the SE84UFO25? All have tube voltage regulation, which I take to be one of the main advantages of the SE84UFO25 over the standard. For those of you who love the SE84UFO25, is this too much of a sound-signature change? Not worth what is essentially 'insurance' for changing my mind about speakers later?

B) I can also go with a non-25th anniversary Zen Triode, which will be less limiting in the sense that it will allow me to get more powerful amplification later. At this point, it is even a fair 'dip into the pool' given that difference between the SE84UFO25 and the standard version?

Thanks!

Waitlist Member!
For now: Technics 1200MK2, Jolida 9A preamp, Pi2AES streamer, Bifrost Gen 1 DAC, Chord Mojo Gen 1, Reisong A10, Peachtree Decco65, Zu Audio Dirty Weekend Omens, Monitor Audio Silver 6s. Monoprice/Morrow cables.
  IP Logged
Sai

Re: Real experience with low efficiency speakers
Reply #1 - 03/02/22 at 22:54:18

Hi there,
A waitlist member myself. While I don’t know what lower efficiency speakers would sound like, I did want to mention that I am going to eventually get the SE84UFO25 and Torii MKV to pair with my Soul Supremes. I previously  had the Zu Dirty Weekends (big fan). Will definitely post my take on the 2 amps in terms of how they pair with the Soul Supremes for sure…

Zu Soul Supreme V, Torii MKV 25th Anniversary Mods, Rogue Audio RP7, Aurender N100H, Denafrips Ares II, Nottingham Space 294 w. Shelter Harmony MC, AllNic H-1202 Phono
  IP Logged
DowdyPrime
Verified Member

Reply #2 - 03/03/22 at 01:29:40

I would definitely love to hear your impressions. Also, I like the elegance of your solution: get both!

Waitlist Member!
For now: Technics 1200MK2, Jolida 9A preamp, Pi2AES streamer, Bifrost Gen 1 DAC, Chord Mojo Gen 1, Reisong A10, Peachtree Decco65, Zu Audio Dirty Weekend Omens, Monitor Audio Silver 6s. Monoprice/Morrow cables.
  IP Logged
Chester
Verified Member

Reply #3 - 03/03/22 at 21:45:39

Hi there,

I currently have a Torii Jr. and Zu Omens and love the combo. I had the same questions as you regarding what I’m missing by not going the SE84UFO25 route.  Luckily, I was able to order one last summer and am currently 200 on the list.  I’ll definitely post my impressions.  I’m a little concerned that I’ll love the sound so much that I’ll need to save up for the Soul 6’s 😬.
It certainly can be a fun (and expensive) journey.  I might end up keeping both amps, just the same.

SE84UFO25/Border Patrol DAC/Zu Omens/Zu Undertone Sub
  IP Logged
chapsjon
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 03/04/22 at 01:00:07

I think the key to using low-powered Decware amps is how loud you want to play. Obviously everyone has different rooms, desire for bass, musical preferences, etc.... (read FWIW). Since you say you listen between 70-80db, I think you'd be ok with a SET. But it's better to explain what I've tried.

For my bedroom (10ft by 12 ft) system, I currently use an SE84C+ (2w SET) with a pair of Sony SS-A3. These are 86db, not efficient. In the bedroom space, I can't turn up the SE84 before the speakers get too loud for that space, which I'd guess is about 86-88db. It's not ear piercing loud, I'm just saying I've got gain I could use beyond anything I would ever want to listen to in the bedroom. Surprisingly I get decent bass with this setup, but keep in mind I'm not a bass head.

I used the same system in my LR (12ft by 17ft) for a few weeks. For music it got loud enough in that space, but for movies (Blu-ray not recorded as "hot") it's just barely "enough" at full blast. It was doable, but I would have liked a little more volume.

My other experience is with a Mini-Torii (4w SEP) and a pair of Yamaha NS-1000m (90db). Keep in mind I don't throw parties or like to listen at ear piercing levels, but I had lots of gain left in the LR as loud as I could stand it. The other thing that was suprising was the bass. I expected that might be missing with a 4w amp. It was not at all. The bass was fast, tuneful, great. Mick Fleetwood came across as he should.

So in my experience, if you don't need loud volumes and aren't in a huge space, Decware SE amps do work with inefficient speakers.

LR:Mini Torii+Wright WPP100 phono, CSP2+SE84UFO, Pioneer Exclusive M4, Accuphase E-303,Graham Slee Jazz Club, Technics SL-1200MK3D Grace F-8 & Nagaoka MP-110, Yamaha NS-1000M, KEF Reference 101, Sony SS-5050
BR: SE84C+, ZP1 phono, Decware 945
JVC QL-7 Shure V15
  IP Logged
chapsjon
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 03/04/22 at 01:23:18

I should add that I also tried my SE84C+ with my KEF Ref 101's (81db). For those unfamiliar, these are similar to LS3/5a's with same drivers but even lower efficiency. It works for either near field or late night listening, but I did not find it to be a good for general use. Though Decware low watt amps work with inefficient speakers, there are limits to what works for average listening conditions and expectations.

LR:Mini Torii+Wright WPP100 phono, CSP2+SE84UFO, Pioneer Exclusive M4, Accuphase E-303,Graham Slee Jazz Club, Technics SL-1200MK3D Grace F-8 & Nagaoka MP-110, Yamaha NS-1000M, KEF Reference 101, Sony SS-5050
BR: SE84C+, ZP1 phono, Decware 945
JVC QL-7 Shure V15
  IP Logged
Alex
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 03/13/22 at 03:50:06

This is a good post. I am thinking about buying Walsh 1000 or2000 Ohm speakers.
The 1000 has the following rating: sensitivity: 88 dB @ 2.8V
The 2000 has the following: 88 dB @ 2.8V

I have the 25th anniversary amp with a ZROCK II. The room I will play the speakers in is small ie 16 x 14 so I will not be playing these speakers loud.

IP Logged
Nick324

Reply #7 - 07/16/22 at 14:03:36

I have a variety of Speakers and amplifiers thus do comparisons regularly. First of all, low volume for me is between 40-65 DB. I don't know what kind of rooms you people have but in my home once we start getting into the 70+ db range due to the large open design of my room there is nowhere in the house that you won't be annoyed by the music.
My main music room is very quiet in the evening and thus I can listen at under 50 db and get great dynamic range.

If your situation is similar and you have a properly set up listening room, (ie. very low noise floor, under 28db) yes you can get away with 3 watts or less using low sensitivity speakers. You can get excellent dynamics and enjoy full rich sound under 50db's +/-. Beyond that you will need appropriate power for your speakers unless you are strictly near field or desktop. Happy listening, mate your equipment well and you too can find great synergy and SQ.

Innuos Zenith MKIII > Lampizator Baltic3 > Vinnie Rossi L2iSE > SE341.5 or SE84UFO25, >> Heresy, K-horn, Philharmonic BMR, Ωmega Super 6XRS Alnico, LSIM703, Falcon LS3/5A, Steve's TR’s, Tube-Tots.
  IP Logged
alper_yilmaz
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 08/06/22 at 16:33:45

I am using my SE84UFO25 with 91dB B&W DM630’s and it has a complex crossover which is likely to suck part of the signal.  I am very happy with the outcome.  My limited experience with single-driver, high-efficiency speakers (including Zu Audio and Omega) has not been that good; I have mostly had a listening fatigue.  I am sure with some room treatment, the issue could have been solved, but with the B&W’s I am already very happy, so I am not likely to change the speakers in the short run.

I have also tried it with my ProAC DM28’s at 88.5dB, and it sounded even better, yet a little less volumuous.  

My other Decware amp is an SE34I.2+ which I run through Rega’s bookshelf speakers which are, I believe, 90dB and they sound OK as well.  

Please let me know if you need any other details…

Mac Mini
Audirvana
Rega RP6 w/ Ania Pro & Rega Fono MC MK4
Rotel RCD1070
Hegel HD30 & Copland DAC215
Fezz Audio Mira Ceti 300B, Decware SE84UFO25, Decware SE34I.2+ & Copland CTA405
ProAc D28, B&W DM630 & Rega RS1
Stein & BlackNoise filters
DH Labs cables
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print