Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/19/24 at 01:47:53 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
My preamp has too much gain, passive pre question (Read 3241 times)
Sean
Seasoned Member

My preamp has too much gain, passive pre question
02/04/22 at 20:15:14

I'm a little over a month into being a Decware owner. Loving it so far, but like it has been said, these amps will expose weak points. I found mine! Well, one anyhow.

Here's my setup:

Mofi studiodeck with AT OC9/III > AT630 SUT > Jolida JD9 > Decware SE84C-EX >Tekton Pendragon and over a dozen sound panels. If I listen to anything digital, it's on the TV setup.

When the SE84 is the only thing ON the volume is dead silent with the volume all the way up. When the JD9 is on, I start getting distortion with when the volume goes past 12 o'clock. The JD is known as a pretty high gain unit. While listening at low volumes it's all good. Around 10/11 on the dial, complex passages sometime distort.

So working with what I have on hand I tried this, adding a Bellari passive pre between the JD9 and SE84. I set the volume on the pre at about 2 o'clock and then adjust the volume on the amp as needed (and there's a story behind how I do this that just might make some of you laugh). I do feel like I lose just a bit of dynamics and soundstage. For now, that's an acceptable compromise. My question is, should I turn the SE84 all the way up and use the Bellari to adjust listening volume?

The pic is my "Im lazy AF and don't want to be bothered to get up and adjust volume, sit back down, get back up, etc" volume control MKII, MKI was super wobbly. Anyhow, just a broom stick, conduit connector and stand. Too many years of remote controls have spoiled me.

IMG_6399.JPG

Technics 1210G, AT OC9III, Cinemag 1254 SUT, ZP3, CSP2+, SE84UFO, Tekton Pendragon

Schiit Bifrost, Mac Mini, Roon
  IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Re: My preamp has too much gain, passive pre question
Reply #1 - 02/04/22 at 20:29:11

I’m laughing too hard to make a reasonable response. I was just diagnosed with covid, and I needed that laugh🤣🤣🤣

(2)SE84UFO(Balanced Monoblocs) OR Sansui AU-222
Crown sub amp
Cambridge Audio CXN(ModWright) • ZBIT
SL-1210MK5(KAB Mods) Soundsmith Aida MKll cart • Darlington Labs MP-7
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
Lii Audio PT-10/W-15 in open baffles
  IP Logged
jec3504
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 02/05/22 at 00:46:55

Geno take care of yourself. Hope you get well soon!!!

Sean that is funny!

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #3 - 02/05/22 at 01:56:18

If there is a Nobel Prize for audio you just won it!

[FOOBAR2000 | Jay's CDT2 MRK3] -> Denafrips Terminator 2 + Gaia
Sumiko Pearwood -> Mapleknoll Athena -> Luxman SUT -> Maple-tree Phono 3E
Woo WA22 -> 2x UFO25s, balanced monos
Omega SAM , Hifiman Arya, Senn HD-650
  IP Logged
armstdav
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 02/05/22 at 05:59:24

I own the JD9 and yes, it's a high gain  phono preamp. My suggestion is to get rid of the AT630 and then adjust the gain on the JD9 to suit the rest of your system.

I generally ran my JD9 at the lowest gain even with my low output MC cartridges. Still sounded great!

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #5 - 02/05/22 at 16:57:46

I'm sorry Sean, that won't pass the audiophile test.

The "remote control" needs to be made from wood that was sourced from the Vatican rec room, blessed by the Dali Lama and had a magical Cryo treatment to even touch a volume knob.

I'm somewhat disappointed to even be in the same forum as a obvious tin eared novice as you.

Hang your head in shame.

I might be joshing you a bit.

Owner of the infamous RED TORII and Dan the Redheaded Amp
  IP Logged
Sean
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 02/05/22 at 21:38:35

armstdav,

I pulled the SUT out. Now I'm running at 300 ohms and the 2nd gain switch. I still get some noise with the volume all the way up, but it's a "softer" air rush like sound, much more manageable. I can't recall why I added the SUT and what I heard to keep it there.

Geno,

Get well soon, I went through it last year. Very mild for me, my wife was about a day away from me taking her to the hospital.

CAJames,

I hereby accept the award, IF it's in the shape, form and function of a new UFO amp!

Donnie,  

When these hit market, NO deal for you!

Technics 1210G, AT OC9III, Cinemag 1254 SUT, ZP3, CSP2+, SE84UFO, Tekton Pendragon

IP Logged
piezoman
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 02/05/22 at 22:00:40

that was so goddamned funny i rolled onto the floor!

absolutely outstanding!

LOL!!!!

IP Logged
piezoman
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 02/05/22 at 22:17:39

Quote:
Geno,

Get well soon, I went through it last year. Very mild for me, my wife was about a day away from me taking her to the hospital.

I bet dollars to donuts that there is a 99.8% chance Gene will be A-OK.

The way the USA reacted to the Fauci-Chinese bio attack was insanely wrong from the beginning. We never learn from history. Books will be written by smart people that will not be kind to the way it was handled, as they should be.

DO NOT go to the hospital if you contract Omicron....the virus itself is actually a natural vaccine, far superior to the very toxic genetic therapeutics that big pharma cranked out. The govt is directly complicit in the "vaccine" fiasco and responsible for the pain & suffering inflicted by the evil genetic toxins in the half-assed therapeutics -- 4 of the gov't bastards , very likely including the hitlerized head pimp himself, Fauci [i'll never refer to him as a 'doctor'], are getting very rich from royalties every mRNA jab.... back to the hospitals: their protocol is to NOT actually treat you. They follow the CDC guideleine: thye advise stay home and when you get blue in the face, come to the ER and you will be transferred to a ventilator, which gives you about a 50% chance to live. They [the govt] made sure the deaths would mount by NOT actually treating the patient so that the toxic jab could continue to be sold to the public as the ONLY answer....they LIED and so many DIED and an ever-mounting population suffering from severe adverse reactions from the jab that the LIARS in the mainstream media refuse to tell you].

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #9 - 02/05/22 at 22:59:03

Geno, all the best. . . I hope you are fully recovered soon with no lingering issues.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
HockessinKid
Seasoned Member

Reply #10 - 02/05/22 at 23:15:15

Hey Geno, wishing you a speedy recovery from Covid and hope your symptoms are mild.

HK

Nottingham Interspace TT w/ Audio Technica AT-OC9XML cart + Modwright PH 9.0XT phono OR Modwright modded Cambridge CNX V2 > CSP3-25th Ann. preamp > ZMA-25th Ann. amp > PI Audio UberBUSS > Caintuck Audio Lii15 Magnum speakers > Snake River Audio & ZenWave cables
  IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #11 - 02/06/22 at 01:16:50

Guys,

Thank you very much for the well-wishes. It is definitely kicking my butt at present. Music will help get me through it.

Very best,

Geno

(2)SE84UFO(Balanced Monoblocs) OR Sansui AU-222
Crown sub amp
Cambridge Audio CXN(ModWright) • ZBIT
SL-1210MK5(KAB Mods) Soundsmith Aida MKll cart • Darlington Labs MP-7
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
Lii Audio PT-10/W-15 in open baffles
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #12 - 02/06/22 at 04:11:26

Geno, we both know it's time for some hard core medicine so better warm up that tape machine.

WWW   IP Logged
Andrew77
Verified Member

Music heals the soul

Reply #13 - 02/06/22 at 16:49:10

Take care, Geno.  Feel better.

The Zen TORII MK4 // WiiM Pro Plus /w Tidal // Klipsch RP-600M
WWW   IP Logged
Sean
Seasoned Member

Reply #14 - 02/07/22 at 20:47:18

I can't believe the difference pulling that SUT out made. My speakers are no longer SHOUTING at me, they're just there in the room with the tunes floating around effortlessly.

I liked the OC9 so much I have two of them. In the living room system it works well going into a MM input on a NAD. I think that's what led to me putting it in with the JD9, however the JD9 is whole different animal. All is not lost, all that overdrive and sharp shouting led to me treating the room with acoustic panels, now I can hear little things to my left or right and just melt into the music...and miss bed time!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print