Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/26/24 at 07:14:33 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
No signal coming out of left channel (Read 2562 times)
grfdrums
Verified Member

No signal coming out of left channel
01/27/22 at 18:04:48

Greetings all,

I received my new SE84UFO2.1 about three weeks ago, and am still not getting a signal out of the left channel.  I've placed a couple of emails to Decware and haven't heard back yet, so in the meantime I'm asking for help on the forum.  Here are the things I've tried so far:

1) switching the speaker cables
2) switching the rca input cables
3) tried both analog and digital sources
4) switching the output tubes to opposite positions (both output tubes get a normal reading from the meters)
5) replaced the input tube (this was interesting: the new input tube had a huge amount of hum.  The hum was coming out of BOTH speakers, but the music from my source was still only coming out of the right speaker).

The one thing I have not yet tried is replacing the rectifier tube.  I'm happy to order another one, but it will take another week of waiting, and I don't even know if this will solve the problem.

Can anyone tell me if I'm missing something here?  Could it be the rectifier tube?  I've tried all the 'troubleshooting' I can think of.

Sincerely,
Gunnar

VPI Classic Signature / Ortofon 2M Black / ZP3 / KAB mono switch / SE84UFO2.1 / Lii Audio F-15 DIY open baffles / Torus Tot Mini isolation transformer / Blue Jeans Cable LC-1 interconnects / Blue Jeans Cable BJC 10 speaker cables
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: No signal coming out of left channel
Reply #1 - 01/27/22 at 18:25:08

Gunnar, sorry to read you are having that problem. I don't think it's likely the rectifier tube. In previous instances I have had a similar problem the issue turned out to be the source, but if you've moved input cables about that should rule that out I would think.

Have you looked at the fuses inside under the chassis? There are dual fuses there and one single fuse. I am not certain but one each of the dual fuses might open a circuit for one channel, and thus one might be blown?

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
grfdrums
Verified Member

Reply #2 - 01/27/22 at 19:35:49

Thank you so much for your reply, Lon.  I really appreciate it!

I checked the 'dual' fuses, and neither one of them appeared to be blown.  All the same, I tried switching the fuses in their respective slots.  Still no signal coming out of the left channel.

I will call Decware and inquire further about this.

Best,
Gunnar

VPI Classic Signature / Ortofon 2M Black / ZP3 / KAB mono switch / SE84UFO2.1 / Lii Audio F-15 DIY open baffles / Torus Tot Mini isolation transformer / Blue Jeans Cable LC-1 interconnects / Blue Jeans Cable BJC 10 speaker cables
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #3 - 01/27/22 at 19:49:34

Well, sorry it was not that simple. A call in to Decware is definitely in order. Good luck, hope it is resolved soon.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Crazy Bill the Eel Killer
Seasoned Member

Tubes Rule !!

Reply #4 - 01/27/22 at 19:52:02

Does the left output tube light up or is it dark ?
Are you comfortable taking voltage measurements inside the amp ?

It'll get figured out.
Cheers,                    Crazy Bill

IP Logged
grfdrums
Verified Member

Reply #5 - 01/27/22 at 21:58:50

Hello Crazy Bill, both the output tubes do light up, and I think they are working fine.  I might be willing to take a voltage measurement, with some coaching from the Decware tech staff.

Thank you both for your encouragement.  I've been reading these forums for a couple of years now, and am struck by how friendly and helpful people are.  I'm very excited to enjoy my amp, after this business gets sorted out.

IP Logged
Lin
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 01/27/22 at 22:37:42

Not sure I would go inside with an in warranty amplifier.

Clip the ground probe and keep one hand a pocket.

IP Logged
grfdrums
Verified Member

Reply #7 - 02/03/22 at 17:37:18

Hey, I figured it out!

Mr. Deckert emailed me back, and reminded me that the input jacks are in a 'mirror image' configuration.  I had inserted the left channel input cable into the wrong one.

One source is 'outside/outside', and the other is 'inside/inside'.

I wonder if I'm the first one to make this mistake.  Perhaps this should be more clearly stated in the manual.  Or maybe it's just me.  Ha ha!!

Anyway, now I'm getting GLORIOUS sound from the amp, and my system is finally complete.  

Cheers,
Gunnar

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 02/03/22 at 17:40:32

I'm convinced that Steve designs his products and refuses to put labels on them specifically to determine how worthy we are of owning and using them.  If we are truly worthy, we persevere in figuring it out.  But god help us if we disconnect everything for a long enough time.  Then we have to start all over!   Grin

ZLC
Technics 1200G TT w/ Ortofon Jubilee MC cart
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Homemade Big Betsy Speakers (F15s)
Silver Cabling
DIY Isolation platforms under amps & TT.
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #9 - 02/03/22 at 17:47:25

Ah Gunnar, you passed the initiation ritual!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print